Author Topic: How I know I'm old now  (Read 9768 times)

PeterM

Re: How I know I'm old now
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
I'd forgotten all about this.  A few years ago on a forum someone posted a picture of an item they found for 'free-take me home' on the sidewalk.  They kind of knew what it was but had no idea how it worked.  It was a portable record player (Phonograph) from maybe the 50's or 60's.    I think I was the only one on the forum who really knew anything about how it worked.  Pardon my creeking bones!

I saw a kid strutting around using some kind of portable record player like a Walkman about fifteen years ago. One of the niftiest things I've ever seen.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2012, 12:57:23 AM »
PeterM
And then there were those 'systems' the kids used to hold on their shoulder and walk around.   They were massive and look like they'd be too heavy to carry around like that, not to mention it blasting right into your  ear...ouch!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:59:04 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

greencat

« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2012, 02:41:10 AM »
PeterM
And then there were those 'systems' the kids used to hold on their shoulder and walk around.   They were massive and look like they'd be too heavy to carry around like that, not to mention it blasting right into your  ear...ouch!

Those were called "boomboxes."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2012, 06:35:58 AM »
My kids made me feel old last night.  I was talking about the Macarena and they both said "What's that, a dance?"  I demonstrated and they said "Ohhhh...that. Yeah, we forgot about that."  Well apparently it's not played as often as it used to be if they've forgotten about it. I don't think I'll ever forget. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2012, 08:13:57 AM »
I would be very happy if the Macarena were completely forgotten.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »
I don't think I'll ever be able to  forget it. It was played at every dance, every wedding, every block party, you name it. When I'm senile and can't remember my own name I'll still remember the song and dance that was the macarena.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

asb8

« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2012, 03:10:54 AM »
I don't think I'll ever be able to  forget it. It was played at every dance, every wedding, every block party, you name it. When I'm senile and can't remember my own name I'll still remember the song and dance that was the macarena.

A backhoe won't remove that from my brain!