Poll

Perfume, EDT, Cologne, etc:  How many bottles do you own? (SNP)

> 100
2 (1.7%)
75-100
3 (2.6%)
50-74
3 (2.6%)
25-49
2 (1.7%)
Less than 25
82 (70.1%)
None (why not?)
24 (20.5%)
Don't know; should count them
0 (0%)
I'm afraid to know
1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Fragrance  (Read 2578 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Fragrance
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:47:59 PM »
I recently found a forum all about perfume and got curious enough to do an inventory of what I have.  I discovered that many of the others on the forum had not only more than 100; there is someone with more than a thousand!

For the purposes of the poll, include full-sized bottles only.   Those usually start at 15 ml.  Body mist doesn't count because of the concentration.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:57:26 AM by Venus193 »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Fragrance
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
There should be a <5 button.   :)

I think I have 3 or 4 bottles.  I rarely wear scent and now that I'm approaching menopause, my sniffer is much more sensitive and it bothers me.  There are a lot of even lotions that I can't take the smell of.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

singingserpent

• I like pie.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:24:21 PM »
I have a lot thanks to a small perfume company called possets.com--she sells 15 ml bottles of perfume oil for $10-20 each so I will usually try 5 or so out of every perfume collection she presents seasonally. 

I started out with perfume oils because of Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs but something about their blends do not agree with my nose.  Then I found possets and fell in love! (not affiliated but a very happy customer)

I don't care for "department store" perfumes, but for bigger companies, my favorite is Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens.  Now that is expensive -- over $100 for a bottle!  My collection would be a heck of a lot smaller if I only bought fragrances like that :)

Amara

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »
I never wear perfume and haven't for at least forty years.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:56:57 PM »
I marked fewer than 25.

I am married, use only 4 perfumes regularly: Chantilly, Oscar, Tweed,  Emarade.

I use hand made soaps often - I buy them when traveling, usually rosemary and lavendar, but sadly, the soap fragrences don't last long. Breaks my  heart, but sometimes the shower is a good thing.

My toiletries cabenet in our bathroom really really smells good because I open some of my soaps. The rose fron one company and the mint from another is reallly good.

I dont use lotions or powders.

AylaM

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:00:15 AM »
After a purge I now own 4 that I couldn't toss.  Before the purge?  Six or seven.  Maybe 10-12 if you include body mist with the perfume.  The 4 that I couldn't toss I kept not because I really like them but because I know they were not cheap and they were a gift.  They are ok.

Unfortunately most perfumes smell alcohol-y to me.  I want to consider some roll-on oil ones or a good solid perfume. However I've never seen any in the store. And dropping the money on a perfume that I've never smelled can make things expensive.

Lately I've been using toadstool shampoo and conditioner off of etsy.  I love them...my hair smells great longer than the perfume lasted and they don't have an alcohol-y smell. But I don't have a collection of shampoos that will let me trade off on a whim.  Same problem of not being able to smell before buying though.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 01:15:10 AM »
Mostly I have oils like Bergamot, Lavender and sandalwood.  I also have some crystals (aka as resin...I call it pitch or sap), like amber, myrrh and frankincense.  I like earthy fragrances.  I used to have a bottle of White Shoulders.  I use scented shower gels, usually  lavender and Ylang Ylang.  I really love lemon verbena, too.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

AylaM

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 01:41:09 AM »
How do you use a crystal perfume?  Or are they softer than I am imagining?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 03:18:11 AM »

I have less than 25. For me, 25 would be a lot, even including lotions and soaps.
There was a time when my sister and i and our mom were all using the same shower and we counted 9 different scented soaps in there.  :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 05:05:57 AM »
How do you use a crystal perfume?  Or are they softer than I am imagining?
The amber comes in a little wooden box or a little plastic bag and is like pitch from a tree but not impossibly sticky.  They call it resin. It's sort of a crystallized substance.  I just rub it on my wrists.  I get it at the natural food store (it's not food...they just sell other interesting things, as well).
My son got the frankincense and myrrh in little plastic bags at a thrift store and shared it with me. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:59:41 AM »
I only own four bottles that I know cost more than $100; three are the same fragrance house.  I'm hearing about some that cost 4x that and my head is still reeling.  On Tuesday I will be attending a launch party for a new line, thanks to Meetup.com.  If this thread is still active I will report the details.

faithlessone

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 06:57:40 AM »
I put less than 25 - I have 2! They are Vera Wang's "Princess" and Avon's "Secret Fantasy".

I don't wear perfume all that much, and even then, only a quick dab on my wrists. I figured out a long time ago that having perfume on my neck or anywhere too close to my face gives me a headache. I also get headachey when there are people around who are wearing too much fragrance. :(

I prefer scented body wash (of which I have 5 different ones at the moment) with a body mist to match. The mist doesn't trigger my headaches. Even so, I only have coconut, vanilla, cinnamon, strawberry and mango. ;D

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 07:18:56 AM »
Over 100?!?! It goes bad - how does anyone use that much?

I wear Hermes 24 Faubourg in Fall/Winter and my favorite Jo Malone of the moment in Spring/Summer

Cami

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »
I voted before I saw your caveat that body mist doesn't count. If so, then I have 0 bottles.

Not a fan of any scents other than the very lightest on people. Especially not a fan when I'm in an elevator or seated next to them at a meeting.  I'm sure they're not a fan of my loud sneezing either.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 07:35:47 AM »
I started out with perfume oils because of Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs but something about their blends do not agree with my nose.  Then I found possets and fell in love! (not affiliated but a very happy customer)

I have about 30 bottle from BPAL, and really love and adore abut 10 of them. The best part for me is that they don't go bad. I could never get through a bottle of regular perfume before it started to change, plus the spray scents are, for some reason, likely to give me a mild headache after about 45 minutes.

But the oils are just wonderful!