Author Topic: Having a nosy  (Read 3881 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Having a nosy
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »
A "Is there something I can help you with?" wouldn't be rude, but would let her know she was wandering where she shouldn't.

This.

And I'd definitely check my windows.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

mj

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 07:09:08 PM »
I don't want to alarm you, but where I live (midwest) this was a common form of checking houses out for future robbery.  Kids were recruited to go door to door to sell or solicit donations for a made up charity, meanwhile they were taking notes on the contents of what they could see inside the house.  It made the news and apparently it was gang activity.

I suggest you look up to see if this charity you donated to is real.

Pippen

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 07:21:40 PM »
I don't want to alarm you, but where I live (midwest) this was a common form of checking houses out for future robbery.  Kids were recruited to go door to door to sell or solicit donations for a made up charity, meanwhile they were taking notes on the contents of what they could see inside the house.  It made the news and apparently it was gang activity.

I'm pretty sure it is legit as they had a van in the street with sign writing on it which they had driven them over in and they had properly printed leaflets but the thought had crossed my mind as I have never encountered this kind of approach before around here. Criminals around here are as dumb as stumps and I doubt they would have the brains to concoct a cunning plan.

NyaChan

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »
A non-criminal reason:  She went to check if she could see whether anyone was actually home.  If they were collecting for a charity, they may have thought that the people inside were just trying to dodge them.  The "Is anyone even home?" reaction, but overdone in this case.

mj

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 08:06:03 PM »

I'm pretty sure it is legit as they had a van in the street with sign writing on it which they had driven them over in and they had properly printed leaflets but the thought had crossed my mind as I have never encountered this kind of approach before around here. Criminals around here are as dumb as stumps and I doubt they would have the brains to concoct a cunning plan.

This is similar as to what happened here.  The kids were dropped off in our neighborhoods in vans with a magnetized logo across it.  They also had leaflets that looked legit, as well.  They even sold candy on the spot with labels made to look like it supported the charity.  However, upon researching the charity, you would find nothing legitimate.  A fake website and that's about it.  It was elaborate and very organized.  Just FYI, and I really hope this is not the case but I wouldn't feel comfortable not speaking up.

wendelenn

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 08:12:50 PM »

This is similar as to what happened here.  The kids were dropped off in our neighborhoods in vans with a magnetized logo across it.  They also had leaflets that looked legit, as well.  They even sold candy on the spot with labels made to look like it supported the charity.  However, upon researching the charity, you would find nothing legitimate.  A fake website and that's about it.  It was elaborate and very organized.  Just FYI, and I really hope this is not the case but I wouldn't feel comfortable not speaking up.

And isn't it the case that sometimes with these "charity vans" the kids are practically kidnapped and abused by those running the scam?
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

mj

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »

And isn't it the case that sometimes with these "charity vans" the kids are practically kidnapped and abused by those running the scam?

Yes, some were kidnapped.  Others were being initiated into the gang as full fledged members.

Cami

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »
So I just got back from shopping. Driving back home I saw a group of teens walk down my driveway, I drove in maybe 10 seconds afterwards. Got out of the car and found 3 of them standing on my front porch like they had knocked on the door and were waiting to see if someone answered. They were collecting for a youth group from a pretty rough area so I gave them a 5 bucks as they seemed legit and were nice enough kids. As I am talking to them a girl comes round the corner of the verandah looking pretty sheepish. She had clearly been having a nosy around that side of the house which is quiet weird as it is pretty obvious where the front door is. The 3 boys had said to me they had realised no one was home and were just about to leave just as I had driven in.

I didn't say a word to her as I thought she might be embarrassed about getting busted snooping around because she sure looked it after she saw my questioning look. I did want to ask her what she was doing but thought it would be pretty rude as

a) she was with her friends
b) she seemed embarrassed enough as it was
c) I felt it should have been up to her to offer some kind of explanation

Am I correct in thinking that if you get busted doing something perfectly innocent but could be seen as a bit suspect you offer up an explanation, but if it is something you should't be doing, and you know it, you clam up?

I don't see how it could be rude to ask someone who is on your property without your permission what they are doing there. In fact, they OWE you an explanation.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »
Well, Redneck is not in my name for nothing... I would have asked her, "did you just pee in my backyard?"

nalapuppy

• always drink upstream from the herd
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 03:07:05 PM »
Well, Redneck is not in my name for nothing... I would have asked her, "did you just pee in my backyard?"

Hahaha.....this is what I was thinking too!