Author Topic: Petty things that start wars in every office  (Read 14022 times)

MayHug

Re: Petty things that start wars in every office
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
I work for a small security company. Our building is secure and we have no windows. One day a co-worker put her popcorn in the microwave and went outside for a quick walk. (She was walking around the parking lot and we could see her on outside cameras).
Well, her popcorn somehow caught the microwave on fire! We had alarms going off, we had to open one door to get the smoke out.
All the while we could see co-worker walking around the parking lot oblivious to all the commotion she had just caused!

We got it situated and she came back in wondering why the door was open. She was mortified to find out what had happened.
The boss had to institute a "no leaving popcorn in the microwave and walking away policy" lol

nuit93

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2012, 01:27:28 AM »
My b/f worked for a company that banned microwavable popcorn.  Fireable offense.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2012, 10:24:55 AM »
My b/f worked for a company that banned microwavable popcorn.  Fireable offense.

The library banned microwave popcorn as well.  The stuff often burned and the stench was said to be 'inconsistent with our preservation mission'.  Staff lunches in the reading room (we closed for lunch) were banned for the same reason. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »
Many of these mentioned happen where I work too.  We also have someone, part of our building services dept who takes it upon herself to randomly come and check the fridges, and chuck stuff SHE thinks is old or not labeled etc.  I had a small bottle of milk one time, in the fridge, for my coffee. It was in a plastic bag, so no one else would use it. She came in, took it out of the bag, chucked said bag, and was about to chuck the milk since there was no sell by date  on it, therefore it MUST be bad.  Thankfully, my CWs knew it was mine, and told her to leave it alone!

The toilets are another one; ours don't always flush all on the first try.  So I always check, and flush again if necessary. But some don't.  My other pet peeve is that we have small wastebaskets in each stall, for female products.  there are also bags to PUT them in, or you  can wrap them in tp.  Yet some still think its ok to just chuck them in, so they're visible to all.  EWWWW.

And I also sit in a cube farm, where some people just don't get that a. we are here to work, NOT run their personal lives and b. quiet is condusive to work.  In fact, due to my one boss, we moved across the floor!  there was conflict between her and our in-hosue travel agent, so we got moved.  Where she now annoys others on a daily basis.

snowfire

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »
When I worked in the office of a construction company the sales and field guys were always stealing my nice gel pens.  I bought cheap Bic type pens for them because they were always losing them.  It was lucky for a pen to last a week, so there was no point in buying nice pens for them and a five pack of pens would normally last me a year.  It really ticked me off because they would search my desk when I wasn't there to get a gel pen.  I had no way to lock my desk because the key was long lost, but it really frosted me that people felt it was okay to go searching through the drawers.  I also had food vanish from the desk drawer & some %*$&% jerk super glued my safety glasses shut & I never found out who.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2012, 03:54:14 PM »
Since this thread is started & since this just happened, am I being SS if I am rather annoyed at my co-irkers for sending emails and posting pictures on their desktop that are anti-purple political party? Maybe I am getting old & crotchety but I don't broadcast my political opinions at work & find myself annoyed at those who do.

lilfox

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2012, 04:02:36 PM »
When I worked in the office of a construction company the sales and field guys were always stealing my nice gel pens.  I bought cheap Bic type pens for them because they were always losing them.  It was lucky for a pen to last a week, so there was no point in buying nice pens for them and a five pack of pens would normally last me a year.  It really ticked me off because they would search my desk when I wasn't there to get a gel pen.  I had no way to lock my desk because the key was long lost, but it really frosted me that people felt it was okay to go searching through the drawers.  I also had food vanish from the desk drawer & some %*$&% jerk super glued my safety glasses shut & I never found out who.

See?  This, this right here is clearly why Bic came out with Bic for Her, the pens designed for the female worker.  If only they'd existed while you worked there, no man would have taken your pens again!   ;D

(see "Bic for Her" thread in the Humor Me section)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »
This is why I rarely bought pens for myself at work - so just used the company's standard pens.  Now if I could find a really "feminine" pen or someone gave me one with my name engraved on it, I would use that one.

But even a pen with your name engraved on it can be slid into someone's pocket "absent-mindedly" and never seen again (VorGuy lost the pen to his high school graduation pen & pencil set the first time he loaned it to someone at college - before we met or I would have asked why he would LOAN the good pen & keep the cheap one to use himself). 

There are any number of businesses that I have seen use green floral tape or electrical tape (any color) to tape a large silk flower, plastic spoon, or something to the pens used at the desk or cash register to make it completely obvious even to the habitually oblivious that THIS pen will not fit in their pocket or purse and that the person who "loaned" it to them can see if they walk off carrying it.

They seem to work better than the pens on chains because I've seen a lot of empty chains on various bank and hotel counters......I rarely see anyone carrying a pen with a silk flower taped to it.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2012, 04:35:38 PM »
reminds me of a really bad job i had once - i worked on the "floor" of "factory" (they were developing an electric car and so it wasn't a whole assembly line but there was a big hanger type building where they did the factory work. the workers were always swiping stuff of my desk , pens, papers, etc and the hole punch. i went to the warehouse guy to get another one. it was stolen. asked for another one. after the third one got stolen , the warehouse guy told me that he will deduct it from my salary. (like this was my fault?). while i pretty much realized that that would be illegal, it really irked me that he would say that in the first place so i gave him the icy glare of doom and said "fine, i'll just work without a hole punch" and flounced out of there. got a new hole punch about an hour later...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

EmmaJ.

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2012, 04:47:32 PM »
<side track>  It really bugs me that every time I read the title of this thread, I see "star wars" instead of "start wars".

Every single time. ???

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2012, 05:01:07 PM »
<side track>  It really bugs me that every time I read the title of this thread, I see "star wars" instead of "start wars".

Every single time. ???

Geeks unite! ;D
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
Ah, yes. 

If it's on your desk it must be general issue for everyone to use.

Yes, I don't mind sharing but, if you must borrow one of my gel pens, please return it promptly and don't return it with tooth marks on the cap, or without any cap at all. 

We do thank you electricians for your prompt response when we had a possibly dangerous leak in the library.  TYs do not extend to you walking off with my big, blue Maglight. 

Yes, if you take a phone call at my desk, you may take a slip of paper from my spiral notepad to write down a note.   However, I don't want to come back from lunch to find that all the yellow slips
 in the middle have been ripped out and the pad is in two pieces.  You may have needed yellow slips
for a project.  That is why we have yellow sticky notes in the supply cabinet.   

Also, do you really think that the library has purchased a heavy, frog-shaped tape dispenser for the general use of all? 

To make a workspace more homelike, people will buy things of their own to embellish their place.  Please respect the possessions of others.     

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2012, 12:59:41 AM »
I haven't seen this one so far in the thread...

The people who use the last of the TP on the roll and do not replace it.  It drives me buggy.  How hard is it to get a replacement and actually replace it?  (in my office, there's usually a replacement in each cubicle, and a stack on the sink)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2012, 07:58:27 AM »
There's no extra TP in my office. The custodians keep it, and refill it as needed.
Words mean things.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
There's no extra TP in my office. The custodians keep it, and refill it as needed.

Same here. The problem is our custodian is out on FMLA right now. They have not replaced her. A cleaning crew comes in once a week to clean the bathrooms and make sure the TP is filled, but the problem with that is we have over 100 people using the bathrooms here.

A lot of us have had to grit our teeth and wipe with those tissue paper seat covers, because there was no toilet paper.