Author Topic: Stressing over impossible giftee  (Read 9039 times)

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Re: Stressing over impossible giftee
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »
OP, what did you say to her when she asked where her real birthday present was?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

CakeBeret

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2012, 02:22:52 PM »
OP, what did you say to her when she asked where her real birthday present was?

I said, "That was your birthday present." She replied something to the effect of, "Well, you really got my hopes up, I was expecting something else." I told her she had specifically mentioned wanting a cake stand, and she said she didn't remember saying that. So at that point, I left.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »
My sympathies and admiration for your polite reaction to her hideous behaviour. I suppose giving her a new cake stand for all future gift-giving occasions would be considered retaliatory rudeness (sans cake). 
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »
I know this is not E-Hell approved but this afternoon, Evil Thipu MUST make an appearance.  >:D

There is a slender volume by L. Rust Hills.  the title is 'How To Do Things Right.  The Revelations (Memoirs in some editions) of a Fussy Man'. 

the gift would surely be considered PA  but the ten page essay on the right way to eat an ice cream cone could reduce a stone to tears of laughter.   

Evil Thipu goes back to her cave now with a good supply of coffee and an excellent slice of chocolate cake. 

magicdomino

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 05:01:34 PM »
So Beth gives homemade gifts and is very frugal about gift giving but expects $60. gifts in return?  I would call her and ask her to put a few $20-30. gifts on her list.  If she doesn't, she gets a $25. gift card to her favorite store, period.  Why stress about making an SS happy about her gift?

It sounds like Beth isn't too smart either.  You gave her the cake stand and that chocolate goo-goo cake and she wasn't happy? The cake stand alone was an appropriate gift, one she had specifically asked for.  Then you go to the effort to create that cake, (which I would have to pay a bakery around $50. to create), and she still wanted more?  Look, I can't eat a cake like that but if I were Beth the thought of you taking all that time and effort to create such a masterpiece would have tears in my eyes.  I would think you really cared for me to go to such an extreme effort.

POD to this.  I probably would have teared up to see that a friend had gone to the trouble of making me that cake.  Some people just don't understand the time and effort that goes into such gifts.  I wouldn't go out of my way Beth again.  No one gets to dictate how much money you spend on them - buy a gift or gift card in the price range you are comfortable with and don't give her another thought.

I would have been happy with just the cake stand, since you were thoughtful enough to know that that was what it was she wanted.  I'd say making that (awesome-looking!) cake is above and beyond.

I would have been happy with just the cake.  "Ooo, and I get to keep the stand too?  Cool!"  :)