Author Topic: Help Me Plan My Bean Dip  (Read 4194 times)

QueenofAllThings

Help Me Plan My Bean Dip
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »
The King and I are having a cocktail party this weekend. Of the two American political parties, we generally vote for the Glitter Party candidate. Most of our friends vote for the Dazzle Party candidate. That's fine with us - live and let live, etc.

We have two issues.

1.  Everyone assumes that we vote Dazzle party, because we are surrounded by people that do. They tell jokes, converse, etc. with this assumption in their minds. Now, I am all for civil discourse, but when someone is saying something offensive, wrong, or silly because they assume you feel the same way ....

And 2.  How do we fend off heated political discussion?

I guess I am asking two (related ) questions. I don't want to let the incorrect assumption lie, but I also don't want to have the whole party devolve into a screaming match over politics.  This has been a heated race and people feel very strongly. Add Scotch to the mix, and, well - you get the idea.

Any ideas for good bean dip/ diversionary tactics?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Help Me Plan My Bean Dip
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 04:21:28 PM »

I wish i knew. I will be watching this thread with interest. I was just talking about this with my sister last night. The best i could come up with is that some people just aren't gong to be invited over until ... well, probably Spring  :-\ but that doesn't help you any.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

audrey1962

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »
I do not disucss politics. Even if the conversation is about my candidate of choice I do not discuss politics. I either change the subject or leave the room. Fortunately, since you are hosting, you have ample reasons to leave the room (refresh app's, get drinks, restock ice, clean something up, etc.)

lowspark

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
"Do you mind if we don't discuss politics tonight? It has so completely dominated the news lately, I need a break!"

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:38:42 PM »
Since you are hosting, and these are your friends, I would simply ask that everyone refrain from political discussion during the event.

I see lowspark beat me to it! :)

LazyDaisy

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:39:37 PM »
If you don't want to let an incorrect assumption lie, then state, "I disagree with you, but now is not the time nor place to discuss it further...can I get you some more bean dip?"

I also find that humor diffuses a lot. Any chance of just having an obvious but lighthearted sign at the door to the effect that the evening will be a political-free zone and all references to any political party, issue, or candidate will cost the offender $1.00 or more? Enforce it in a game-like atmosphere; maybe make "party-foul" cards in yellow and red. Ribbon off a section of the space say 2 x 2 feet wide (ie. purposefully small and uncomfortable) and make that the political "arena."

However, with rabid political activists, I've found that there isn't a bean dip recipe strong enough to shut them down -- just don't invite them.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
I also find that humor diffuses a lot. Any chance of just having an obvious but lighthearted sign at the door to the effect that the evening will be a political-free zone and all references to any political party, issue, or candidate will cost the offender $1.00 or more? Enforce it in a game-like atmosphere; maybe make "party-foul" cards in yellow and red. Ribbon off a section of the space say 2 x 2 feet wide (ie. purposefully small and uncomfortable) and make that the political "arena."

I love this!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 05:38:43 PM »
I was thinking it would be a good idea to make the party a 'Political No-Man's Land' as well.  The idea of a humorous sign along the lines of, 'All political opinions to be checked here' posted over a boot tray or umbrella stand might do it. 

These things can get nasty.  The lighter touch you can give it, the better. 

I know it's only a cocktail party but, to drive home the message how about making a cheap punch with red and blue ice cubes?  You could also offer a party game of pin the tail on the donkey/elephant.  >:D 

Okay.  I'll go back to my cellar now. 

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »
Would it be a rude thing to fasten a sign on the outside of your front door with the words
"political talk" in the middle of a circle with a single diagonal slash mark (like a no parking sign)?

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 06:32:42 PM »
I love all those ideas!!!!

Unfortunately, I'm afraid there will be one or two boors guests that will sputter "I will not be stifled!" But I may put up the red circle/slash anyway.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »
RudeMe would have an air horn handy.   >:D

RealMe would not, but the thought of using it would keep me smiling the rest of the night   ;D

LeveeWoman

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »
Slap your hand on your chest as you gasp and say, "There's an election this year?" Then laugh loudly as you turn away.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »
Ask in a really intense voice "Yes, but are you Team Peeta or Team Gale?"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »
Hey you know that baby shower game where everyone gets a safety pin and if you say the word baby, you lose your pin?  Adapt that for this party and if anyone utters anything related to the election, they lose their pin.  >:D

I don't like talking politics and as I told my friend, if I'm going to watch two guys argue over who should be in charge, I'll watch Jack and Barbossa argue over who should be captain of the Pearl.  My vote's Jack, it's his ship. Hector's chartman. ;)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:14:16 AM »
Hey you know that baby shower game where everyone gets a safety pin and if you say the word baby, you lose your pin?  Adapt that for this party and if anyone utters anything related to the election, they lose their pin.  >:D

I don't like talking politics and as I told my friend, if I'm going to watch two guys argue over who should be in charge, I'll watch Jack and Barbossa argue over who should be captain of the Pearl.  My vote's Jack, it's his ship. Hector's chartman. ;)

I really like this!