Author Topic: Help Me Plan My Bean Dip  (Read 4041 times)

Kaypeep

Re: Help Me Plan My Bean Dip
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »
If you don't want to let an incorrect assumption lie, then state, "I disagree with you, but now is not the time nor place to discuss it further...can I get you some more bean dip?"

I also find that humor diffuses a lot. Any chance of just having an obvious but lighthearted sign at the door to the effect that the evening will be a political-free zone and all references to any political party, issue, or candidate will cost the offender $1.00 or more? Enforce it in a game-like atmosphere; maybe make "party-foul" cards in yellow and red. Ribbon off a section of the space say 2 x 2 feet wide (ie. purposefully small and uncomfortable) and make that the political "arena."

However, with rabid political activists, I've found that there isn't a bean dip recipe strong enough to shut them down -- just don't invite them.

I'm not sure this will work.  My friend did something similar.  He had a superbowl party but asked us not to curse because he didn't want his daughters to hear swear words.  He put out a bowl and said anyone who cursed had to put in a $1 per word for the kids college fund.  Well, we all took out our wallets and tossed in all of our cash and just cursed even more.  It was worth every penny!  (Friend LOL'ed and kept the money, too!  He's very honest so I bet it's still in the kid's piggy banks, too.)

buvezdevin

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
I love all those ideas!!!!

Unfortunately, I'm afraid there will be one or two boors guests that will sputter "I will not be stifled!" But I may put up the red circle/slash anyway.

You might want to make that a "purple" circle - not red, not blue, includes both those colors without needing to declare for either...

Please update after the party, which I hope goes smoothly and is enjoyed by all!
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »
I really wish there was a 'like' button - these are all great responses!

LazyDaisy

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 01:04:31 PM »
If you don't want to let an incorrect assumption lie, then state, "I disagree with you, but now is not the time nor place to discuss it further...can I get you some more bean dip?"

I also find that humor diffuses a lot. Any chance of just having an obvious but lighthearted sign at the door to the effect that the evening will be a political-free zone and all references to any political party, issue, or candidate will cost the offender $1.00 or more? Enforce it in a game-like atmosphere; maybe make "party-foul" cards in yellow and red. Ribbon off a section of the space say 2 x 2 feet wide (ie. purposefully small and uncomfortable) and make that the political "arena."

However, with rabid political activists, I've found that there isn't a bean dip recipe strong enough to shut them down -- just don't invite them.

I'm not sure this will work.  My friend did something similar.  He had a superbowl party but asked us not to curse because he didn't want his daughters to hear swear words.  He put out a bowl and said anyone who cursed had to put in a $1 per word for the kids college fund.  Well, we all took out our wallets and tossed in all of our cash and just cursed even more.  It was worth every penny!  (Friend LOL'ed and kept the money, too!  He's very honest so I bet it's still in the kid's piggy banks, too.)
You're right, issuing a $1.00 fine could backfire and encourage them to do it more if they have the cash on them. They may get the idea that they've purchased the right to speak about politics.

I have another idea inspired by camp as a kid. If we got caught eating with our elbows on the table (or other dining etiquette infraction), we'd be called out to stand and sing a song to the dining room. Hmm, how about they have to sing the first verse of the Star Spangled Banner a cappella? For most people it's mildly embarrassing, stops them from speaking ('cause they're busy singing) and is non-partisan...on second thought, that could go wrong too if someone actually loves to sing. Plus it could unnecessarily punish the whole room, but could lead to increased group peer pressure to cease the political talk.

I don't know. Everything I can think of has a flip side that could go wrong. If guests don't listen to the host's polite request, there really isn't anything you can do to make them stop except ask them to leave; but for most social groups, that's a nuclear option that could end relationships.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Donovan

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 01:33:24 PM »
I don't talk politics with anyone other than my husband. 

And although it is hard to hear people give out false info about my possible candidate, I do not correct them or try to give out the correct information. I have realized that it doesn't matter what you say, their mind is already made up. So why get into an argument about it as it will just lead to a longer discussion about politics which is exactly where I don't want to be.

I usually leave the area with some sort of excuse. It just isn't worth it to me.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 02:15:32 PM »
I also live in an area where my political beliefs are more of a minority opinion and the majority of my friends identify with the majority opinion.  I've certainly been in positions where friends have assumed I'm a member of the majority.  Fortunately, my friends are well, my friends and they all have a good sense of humor. Because of that, when statements are made about people of the Glitter party, I usually respond with humor and say something like, "Hey, you know I'm a card-carrying member of the Glitter party!  Can't you tell by my radiant sparkle?"  I embrace it with humor and sometimes faux offense that they would recognize. 

It may be because of our group dynamics, but I've always had success with that.  They realize they've spoken too openly and perhaps offensively around a friend and are humbled/apologetic and then usually respond with some silly compliment like "You're just so cool I totally assumed you were a Dazzle".

I don't know how that would work for your group, but using a bit of humor can put people on notice that you have different beliefs without putting them on the defensive or shaming them.  You bring it up in a light-hearted way and it gives them an opening to respond back in a light-hearted way.  It also allows you to deflect further political conversations.  "So you're a Glitter?  Well, how do you feel about the economy blah-blah-blah?"   And you can say, "You want to know how I feel? I feel like another glass of wine/slice of pie".  If they push a bit you can continue to be light/upbeat but demonstrate you aren't going to get into a conversation about it and they take the hint.

Chickadee

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
How did everything go, OP?

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
It went well! One gentlemen 'in the other camp' brought up politics, but he's a very civilized guy. Everyone else stayed off the topic. Most were just delighted to be invited to a party, and kept asking "why? Why are you having a party?" I guess it's a rare thing around here!  :)

Chickadee

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »
I'm glad it went well!