Author Topic: Is there a statute of limitations on correcting someone?  (Read 5917 times)

ddawn23

Re: Is there a statute of limitations on correcting someone?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 02:22:29 PM »
I wouldn't say anything. There's nothing to be gained.

I agree, at this point in time it would definitely come off as obnoxious.  If he's still pronouncing it that way the next time you see him then I would do what others suggested and just say the word correctly.
The issue there is that we won't be in a French-speaking environment, so I would have to either bring it up, which is obnoxious, or start speaking to him in French, which would also be obnoxious.  Thus my post six days ago that said something to the effect of "You guys are right.  I'll keep my mouth shut."

Thank you for "correcting" us about posting six days after your update :) Frequently, threads keep moving even after the OP has updated, simply because it turns into a more general discussion of the issue. I hope you didn't feel I was trying to dogpile on you; that was certainly not my intention.

The post you are referring to is #12 in a thread had had gotten to 23 posts before either Moray or I replied.  I'm very sorry you don't appreciate our input but we were hardly the only ones to post after your update six days ago.

You say that as if 23 posts is a novel.  The onus is on the poster to read the thread to make sure she's not 1) saying the same thing as 22 other posters or 2) telling the OP she's in the wrong when the OP has already acknowledged it.  And I never claimed you were the only one.  Yours just happened to be the post I hit reply on.

ETA re the bolded: Okay, now I'm really embarrassed.  I know you were joking, but would you say that I did correct you?  I wouldn't call it a correction--maybe not the most gracious reply on my part, but not a correction.  Was it?  Lord, I suck at this.  Yet another reason to keep my big mouth shut when my brother comes!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:26:46 PM by ddawn23 »

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 02:24:03 PM »
You say that as if 23 posts is a novel.  The onus is on the poster to read the thread to make sure she's not 1) saying the same thing as 22 other posters or 2) telling the OP she's in the wrong when the OP has already acknowledged it.  And I never claimed you were the only one.  Yours just happened to be the post I hit reply on.

I guess I'm curious as to why you felt a need to scold *anyone* for having the temerity to post after you updated. Threads keep moving. It happens.

ETA: I don't think either sourwolf or I were saying you were "wrong". We just continued the conversation. That's not ragging on you, that's contributing to the flow of discussion.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:26:11 PM by Moray »
Utah

ddawn23

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »

I guess I'm curious as to why you felt a need to scold *anyone* for having the temerity to post after you updated. Threads keep moving. It happens.

ETA: I don't think either sourwolf or I were saying you were "wrong". We just continued the conversation. That's not ragging on you, that's contributing to the flow of discussion.

Fair enough.  It just seemed like such a short thread that I couldn't understand why people would post the same thing over and over again.  I apologize.  The last thing I want to be is one of *those* OPs.

sourwolf

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
You also have the option of not replying at all. I took that option in a thread the other day because no matter how I tried to explain what I meant it seemed I wasn't doing a good enough job. Rather than frustrate myself any further I stopped posting.  Guess what? It wasn't a big deal.  If you want a thread to die the best thing to do is to stop posting instead of harping on every perceived slight.

ddawn23

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
Sourwolf, I apologize to you as well.  My intent was not to scold, but to point out that I had already both acknowledged and agreed with your opinion.  I did feel ragged on, but I was wrong, and I did not express it well.  I'm sorry.

sourwolf

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »
It's cool  :)

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »
Back on the thread (yes, I read all of it ;) )
When people make mistakes with a language in a country where that language is spoken, you may assume that he will be corrected soon enough anyways.
Also, I know this urge to correct people to 'help them along'. When I meet someone who is speaking in a language that I know very well or has regular problems with coming up with the right word (in their own language or not) I always ask first 'I notice that you make a few errors, which is no biggie. But would you feel helped if I'd tip you off about them?' or 'I notice you have some problems finding the right word. Sometimes I know what you mean to say before you have found it. Would it help you if I'd fill you in there?'
Some people are fine with it. Some decline and would rather speak at their own pace. By emphasising that the choice is truly their and you are really offering to *help* and not be a know-it-all, you will likely get a positive response.
Also, when correcting someone, don't do it while they are still talking, and try to get your points across in a one-on-one conversation, so there is no embarrassment potential for the other person.

SuperMartianRobotGirl

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 07:56:32 AM »
The statute of limitations is that it can only be done in the moment, and then only if it can be done in a way that leaves the other person feeling OK after the correction. The time has passed. :)