Author Topic: Soup Parties!  (Read 2444 times)

AstiTheWestie

Soup Parties!
« on: October 06, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »
Getting into soup season time here in NE Ohio! I always make a "soup of the week" because I do love to cook. Tomorrow will be Cream of Tomato, using the last of the fresh tomatoes from our garden. What are some of your favorite soups?

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Soup Parties!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »
i looove soup!

i made a big pot of split pea soup this weekend - to keep in the freezer.

i love:
chicken soup
split pea
vegetable soup
Moroccan harira soup (thick soup with chickpeas, lentils, vegetables, thin noodles, meat/chicken, though i usually make it vegetarian).
tomato soup with rice
lentil soup (red lentils that "melt" when cooked and it is very similar to split pea soup)
mushroom and barley
i'm sure there are more...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:13:03 PM »
Yum! I do make a kick-a** Italian Wedding Soup (if I do say so myself!) But I am always looking for more ideas. I also make a pretty good wonton soup, chili, chicken noodle, cream of mushroom (I adore, but Husband is not a mushroom lover ... oh well, more for me). The secret for the Italian Wedding Soup I have learned, from a friend that lived in Italy, is throwing in several parmigiano reggiano cheese rinds while the soup is simmering (fish them out before you serve the soup). Makes all the difference. It's a secret, though. You won't tell, will you? ;D

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 04:14:17 PM »
French Onion
Chicken Pot Pie
Lentil

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup -
(from spark people - http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=763362)

Introduction:
This tortilla soup tastes better than anything you can get at a restaurant. And it's healthy too! Don't let the long list of ingredients fool you. All you do is dump everything into the slow cooker and walk away.

Minutes to Prepare: 30
Minutes to Cook: 240
Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients

1 pound frozen chicken (shred near end of cooking time)
    1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
    1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3(14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
    1 can black beans, rinsed

Directions
Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir in corn and black beans. Cover and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, or avocadoes. (Note: garnishes not included in nutrition information) Makes 8 servings.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
Oh my ... sounds awesome!

Forgot about French Onion! One of my faves!

greencat

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »
"Beef Shabu-Shabu" from the cookstr website.

I frequently make it with special meatballs (I blend the ground beef with brown sugar, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, minced garlic, and minced ginger) and sliced leeks instead of the beef and bean sprouts though.

I'm also fond of making a good seafood chowder - I do salmon chowder most often, but sometimes I'll do crab or clam instead.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
I'll have to try the chicken tortilla soup, it looks yummy!

Got some favorites of my own. 

Chicken and rice soup.
Cream of mushroom.
Irish stew (lamb or beef).
Lentil soup.
Herbed potato soup.
Chili...That counts as a soup, doesn't it?

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »
We've also really enjoyed

Butternut Squash Soup -

Ingredients

16 to 24 oz butternut squash, washed, peeled, and cubed
        1 to 2 Tbsp olive oil
        Salt and pepper
        8 to 12 strips bacon (optional)
        1 large onion, chooped
        6 stalks celery, chopped
        6 carrots, chopped
        1 bay leaf
        2 tsp curry powder
        1 tsp ginger powder
        1 tsp dried thyme
        1 to 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
        4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
        1 to 1.5 c. apple cider
        1 to 1.5 quarts chicken or vegetable stock (if vegetable, not the kind with tomatoes)
        1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Instructions

In a large bowl, drizzle squash with olive oil, toss to coat, and sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired. Spread out on a cookie sheet or baking pan in a single layer and roast at 375 degrees F for 30-40 minutes until the squash is tender and caramelized. Turn once during roasting. Set aside.
        If making the bacon version, cook bacon until crispy in a Dutch Oven or soup pot. Save the drippings. Drain bacon on paper towels and once cool enough, chop into pieces. Set aside.
        Using either the bacon drippings or olive oil, cook the onion, celery, carrot, bay leaf, curry powder, ginger powder, thyme, and salt and pepper at medium-medium high heat in the Dutch oven until the carrots and celery are soft. Mix in the apple and squash and cook for another 5-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 1-3 minutes.
        Add the apple cider to your pot and lower heat to medium-low and simmer until the apple cider has reduced by about half.
        Add your chicken or vegetable stock (use the smaller amount if you like a thicker soup, larger if you like a thinner soup) and continue to simmer for ~20 minutes.
        Puree the soup in a blender in batches (or use an immersion blender), being careful not to burn yourself. Don't fill more than halfway and remove the center plastic piece of the lid so steam can escape. Cover the hole with a dry washcloth or dishtowel to prevent splashing.
        Stir in the nutmeg and garnish soup with you (optional) bacon crumbles and enjoy!

If you skip the bacon and use vegetable stock instead of chicken, it's still delicious PLUS it's vegetarian.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »
I do a sausage soup- tomatoes and garlic and herbs and zucchini. Delicious!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Mikayla

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
I second the squash soup, and I make it almost identically to one MorgnsGrl uses.   

Another one I like that's half canned/half improvised is New England Clam Chowder.  I always use a can of Progresso as my "base".

Then I add in

A can of chopped clams with liquid
A small can of corn - toss in a T or so of corn juice
Sherry to taste (maybe 1/3 c?)
One or two baked potatoes, diced.  Or just use frozen diced potatoes.
Several strips of crumbled bacon
Fresh cracked pepper

Extra milk or half and half if you like it less "stew-ish".  Garnish with fresh parsley.

I've made this a couple of times and people thought it was homemade.

marcel

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
Dutch pea soup, this is the best winter soup I know.  If you want it to be really good, make it a day in advance.

It is a very old traditional soup, and as a consequence, there are a lot of different recipes to be found. I do not use one recipe, but always try something different myself. The result of the soup, should always be a very thick (almost the consistency of sauce) soup.

notes on the ingredients:
About the meat: The meat I use is a block of smoked bacon. (Since I have realised that bacon can have a lot of different meanings, here is a picture of what I mean.
 more traditional is using pig feet or ribs.

About the carrots: In holland we have different varieties of carrots. the one used here is the "winterpeen"(winter carrot) this is a very big carrot, so if I say 2 carrots in the ingredients list, this is ca. 500gr. Off course you can also use parsnips instead of carrots (or use both)

ingredients:(all amounts of meat and vegetables in this recipe can easily be changed to taste.)

500 gr split peas
500 gr. bacon (see above)
2 bouillon cubes
2 laurel leaves
2 leek
1 onion
2 big carrots (ca 500gr.)
1 celeriac
2 potatoes
a bunch of celery

rinse the peas, put in 2 liter of boiling water with bacon, laurel and bouillon. get to a boil again, and remove the foam.
rinse, peel and dice the vegetables (leek in rings or halve rings)
After 1 hour, remove the meat, and cut into cubes. (if you use meat with bones, remove bones) Add meat and vegetables to the soup.
boil for 45 minutes. (the soup has to boil long enough to make the peas into a pulp.)
Cut up celery , and add to the soup.
Let the soup cool down and stand for 1 day.

When heating up the soup, do it on low heat, and try not to boil it.

Wherever you go..... There you are.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »
Dutch pea soup, this is the best winter soup I know.  If you want it to be really good, make it a day in advance.

It is a very old traditional soup, and as a consequence, there are a lot of different recipes to be found. I do not use one recipe, but always try something different myself. The result of the soup, should always be a very thick (almost the consistency of sauce) soup.

notes on the ingredients:
About the meat: The meat I use is a block of smoked bacon. (Since I have realised that bacon can have a lot of different meanings, here is a picture of what I mean.
 more traditional is using pig feet or ribs.

About the carrots: In holland we have different varieties of carrots. the one used here is the "winterpeen"(winter carrot) this is a very big carrot, so if I say 2 carrots in the ingredients list, this is ca. 500gr. Off course you can also use parsnips instead of carrots (or use both)

ingredients:(all amounts of meat and vegetables in this recipe can easily be changed to taste.)

500 gr split peas
500 gr. bacon (see above)
2 bouillon cubes
2 laurel leaves
2 leek
1 onion
2 big carrots (ca 500gr.)
1 celeriac
2 potatoes
a bunch of celery

rinse the peas, put in 2 liter of boiling water with bacon, laurel and bouillon. get to a boil again, and remove the foam.
rinse, peel and dice the vegetables (leek in rings or halve rings)
After 1 hour, remove the meat, and cut into cubes. (if you use meat with bones, remove bones) Add meat and vegetables to the soup.
boil for 45 minutes. (the soup has to boil long enough to make the peas into a pulp.)
Cut up celery , and add to the soup.
Let the soup cool down and stand for 1 day.

When heating up the soup, do it on low heat, and try not to boil it.

Are the "laurel leaves" what we call "bay leaves" in the U.S.?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 06:41:19 PM »
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup -
(from spark people - http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=763362)

Introduction:
This tortilla soup tastes better than anything you can get at a restaurant. And it's healthy too! Don't let the long list of ingredients fool you. All you do is dump everything into the slow cooker and walk away.

Minutes to Prepare: 30
Minutes to Cook: 240
Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients

1 pound frozen chicken (shred near end of cooking time)
    1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
    1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3(14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
    1 can black beans, rinsed

Directions
Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir in corn and black beans. Cover and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, or avocadoes. (Note: garnishes not included in nutrition information) Makes 8 servings.

This looks very tasty!   For myself, the "healthy" description would require a couple alternations of low sodium broth and low sodium tomatoes.  Many canned items have tonnes of sodium that takes what looks like a healthy recipe to high levels of sodium for some people. 

Peregrine

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »
Mmmm, I love soup!

Red Lentil Soup with spicy sizzle
African Peanut Chicken Soup
Chili
Clam Chowder
Corn and Potato Chowder
Sausage Chowder
Taco Soup in the Crockpot
Tex Mex soup (family variant of chicken tortilla soup)
Knockoff of Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden
Pasta Fagiole also a knockoff from Olive Garden
Cheddar Broccoli Soup

Mmmm, I really must make a big pot of soup this weekend........