Author Topic: Sorry, the party is over now. Bubbye.  (Read 19489 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Sorry, the party is over now. Bubbye.
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
I was helping a dear friend of mine with a party for her daughter.  The party was a success and scheduled from 1-3.  Aside from the usual unexpected siblings and some rowdy kids, it went pretty well etiquette wise too.  We heard a knock and friend went to answer the door at 3:30.  In comes a mom with her two daughters.  One that was invited.  The mom said, "Oh we completely forgot about this party and was driving by when I remembered.  We wanted to come and apologize for missing it." 

My friend said, "Oh okay, well I am sorry you missed it."  Mom stood there.  Her girls said, "Can we have some cake and ice cream?"  Flustered my friend said sure, let me get you guys some.  I unpacked the plates, napkins, found the cake server and went ahead and served them cake.  They were very disappointed we were out of ice cream.  As they ate their cake, I went back to cleaning up.  The mom just stood there waiting patiently for her girls to finish while we all cleaned up.  Then the girls put down their plates on the table instead of in the trash can that was right next to them and asked us for goody bags.  I told them we didn't have any left and the girls said but we were invited!  Friend stepped in and said that the party games and pinata were how the guests filled their goody bags so that's why we don't have one.  The mom piped up, "I always prepack goody bags, that way all invited guests can each get one."  Cue awkward silence.  Finally they asked if there was anything else for them to take.  I said I am not sure what you guys mean?  They pointed at the balloon decorations.  Friend gave them each a balloon and they asked for more.  At this point I had enough and walked away to clean up in a remote corner of the room.

I told friend that she shouldn't have even let them in and said that the party was over.  She thought they wanted to tell the birthday girl Happy Birthday (they didn't) and didn't expect them to act like that.  We were both very surprised.  Would we have been rude to tell them to leave?  How would you have handled it?

LeveeWoman

Re: Sorry, the party is over now. Bubbye.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
I never would have let them in the door.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:01:42 PM »
I never would have let them in the door.

Me either!

LeveeWoman

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
I'd never invite them to another party.

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 09:03:33 PM »
That is truly horrible behavior.  You can tell from what they said and did that in their eyes, a birthday party is about what they as a guest can get out of it, and not about celebrating the guest of honor.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »
Friend didn't know them, they are from her daughter's class and she has to invite the entire class.  Needless to say, I think she will turn them away at the door next time.  Hopefully. She is too nice. (I told her that too)

ETA:  I mean if they did that again, come late.

couchpotato

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:07:06 PM »
Just curious, did they have a present for the birthday kid (or even speak to her)? Or did they just show up, take and complain, then leave?

At any rate, what a shame these 2 little ones are developing into a pair of gimmie pigs. SHAME on the mother.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 09:10:48 PM »
Just curious, did they have a present for the birthday kid (or even speak to her)? Or did they just show up, take and complain, then leave?

At any rate, what a shame these 2 little ones are developing into a pair of gimmie pigs. SHAME on the mother.

I know they didn't talk to friend's daughter because afterwards daughter asked me why didn't they say hi to her.  She is very shy and did stand near me when they entered but they never talked to her.    When friend's daughter saw they weren't going to say anything she went back to the arts and craft table to finish her artwork with my 2 kids.  I didn't notice if they did bring a gift but the gift table is by the door and I didn't see them come in the door.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
Friend didn't know them, they are from her daughter's class and she has to invite the entire class.  Needless to say, I think she will turn them away at the door next time.  Hopefully. She is too nice. (I told her that too)

Says who? The school? The school has the right to dictate with whom its students associate when they're not in school? I understand it's rude to talk about a party around those not invited but kids can be taught discretion.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
Maybe if they hand out invites at[/i school they need to invite everyone?

Minmom3

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 09:25:46 PM »
Many schools have the rule that if you issue the invitation at the school, inside the classroom, you must invite each child in that room.  So, if you don't have a class list with contact info on it, you're stuck.  We got around it by the girls hand carrying invites to their friends houses.  Didn't make the parents a whole lot better as RSVP-ing, but I would never be willing to invite an entire class roster, it's just too many children for me to handle at all well...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

CakeBeret

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »

Says who? The school? The school has the right to dictate with whom its students associate when they're not in school? I understand it's rude to talk about a party around those not invited but kids can be taught discretion.

A lot of schools have the policy that if invitations are going to be handed out at/around school, the entire class must be invited.

I am honestly horrified at the OP. That story should be in the dictionary, listed under "Boorish Behavior"!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

andi

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 09:31:01 PM »
Uh -  I don't even know where to start with that!  Good gracious - what gall!

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »
Honestly I have heard stories like mine and thought perhaps it was a bit embellished.  But then when it happened today, all I could think was holy moley people like them really do exist.

As for inviting the whole class,  I am pretty sure it's school policy.  (I am not at her specific school) It is at my daughter's if they bring invitations to school.  I thankfully use evite/email route instead.  For friend, she doesn't know many people at this school and doesn't have email addresses.

CakeEater

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
That's completely appalling! To make no attempt even to say Happy Birthday, and then to want food and balloons, and then to pass judgement on how the goodie bags were assembled to a party they didn't attend! People never cease to amaze.