Author Topic: Sorry, the party is over now. Bubbye.  (Read 19471 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Sorry, the party is over now. Bubbye.
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »
I wish there was a directory for Jean Bean's school. I don't even know for sure how many children are in her class yet; class pictures were only just taken and won't come home for another ~3 weeks. There is a rule about inviting "all" kids in class, but I told her we are doing a Family Only party this year, and she can get phone numbers herself next year; we're bringing cookies to class on her birthday (teacher approved) so she has her special moment amongst her peers.

Do you have a PTA? Can you suggest to the PTA that the create one? Our PTA creates a directory out of PTA members who are interested in sharing their info.  It gets more people to join the PTA and is entirely voluntary.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »
I wish there was a directory for Jean Bean's school. I don't even know for sure how many children are in her class yet; class pictures were only just taken and won't come home for another ~3 weeks. There is a rule about inviting "all" kids in class, but I told her we are doing a Family Only party this year, and she can get phone numbers herself next year; we're bringing cookies to class on her birthday (teacher approved) so she has her special moment amongst her peers.

Do you have a PTA? Can you suggest to the PTA that the create one? Our PTA creates a directory out of PTA members who are interested in sharing their info.  It gets more people to join the PTA and is entirely voluntary.

Yep, and it can actually be a fund raiser for the PTA.  We sold advertisements for area businesses.  Families could also do an add for like $10 for a half page... Things like "Have a great year 2nd grade class! from the Hmmmmm family."  Then we sold the directories for $5 each.   When I did the directory for our really small elementary school (500 students total)  we covered all of our printing costs and still made around $500 to $800 each year.  And since my DD has a mid Sept bday, I always got them out within 2 weeks of start of school. 

My DD's HS sells them for $10 each and does commerical advertisments and makes several thousand dollars in profit on the directory.   

Jones

« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »
This is a fantastic idea, and we do have a PTA.

Unfortunately, I will be unable to present it to them, as all PTA meetings are during the business day (around 2-3 PM) and direct contact info for PTA leadership has not been distributed to the rest of the parents.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2012, 05:03:35 PM »

Unfortunately, I will be unable to present it to them, as all PTA meetings are during the business day (around 2-3 PM) and direct contact info for PTA leadership has not been distributed to the rest of the parents.
The irony of that statement because if you had last year's directory...:)

Jones

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
I know, I know...sigh  ;D

mindicherry

« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »

We have a school directory that includes the whole elementary school (that parents can "opt out of" if they don't want their info in there) that we pay about $7 each year, but it usually doesn't come out until November.

Because of that, every year the teachers have sent home a form on the first day of school that they will come up with a class list (once again, giving parents the ability to opt out) within the first week of school and send it home (for free).

My oldest just moved to the middle school (where the individual class listings aren't offered) and I still have 2 kids in the elementary school.  Before this year, only about half of the teachers that we have had have offered this "service".  This year they passed the rule that NO invitations (even if you are inviting the whole class or just boys/girls) may be distributed in school...so every single teacher is offering it to their classes.

Can you talk to the teachers and ask if that can be done?  Or even ask her that, if you make up the form and agree to type out the "class directory, could she just pass out the forms to the students and have them returned to you so that you can make the list?

** Edited to add:  and have you checked the website for the school for the PTA emails?  All of the Home & School Board members have ALWAYS been listed on our school website!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:21:50 PM by mindicherry »

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »

Now they just send spreadsheets so the cost is lower.
Also, most schools have a mail slot for the PTA ...you could give it to the school office and ask that it be passed along.
Or your school website might have a link. If they don't, you could suggest they add it.

Yep, and it can actually be a fund raiser for the PTA.  We sold advertisements for area businesses.  Families could also do an add for like $10 for a half page... Things like "Have a great year 2nd grade class! from the Hmmmmm family."  Then we sold the directories for $5 each.   When I did the directory for our really small elementary school (500 students total)  we covered all of our printing costs and still made around $500 to $800 each year.  And since my DD has a mid Sept bday, I always got them out within 2 weeks of start of school. 

My DD's HS sells them for $10 each and does commerical advertisments and makes several thousand dollars in profit on the directory.