Author Topic: Staying on after contract ends - how to make it happen?  (Read 1718 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Staying on after contract ends - how to make it happen?
« on: October 08, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
I recently left my poor paying but otherwise good job of 5 years for a great paying, one year contract position at a great firm.

When I was hired, I was asked if I would be willing to stay on if a position could be found. I said yes.
There is a lot to love about the new job and I really, really want to stay.
I have been told I am a really good fit and that it 'would be nice' if they get to keep me.

We won't know for several months if the person I am replacing is returning (maternity leave), but I treat it as though she is.

I have been trying to find tasks I can take on to make them 'mine' (the position is evolving and we keep adding more aspects to it) and I am willing to take training to make myself more useable to the firm.

What can I do to quietly and appropriately let them know that I would like to stay - without making it seem like I am pushing MatLeaveCoworker out?

I still have 9 months left in my contract, but I don't want to wait until the last few weeks and have management going "Gee, we really like WhiteDragon, but do we have work for her?"

Is it okay to say outright "I'd love to stay, here's where I think I can benefit the company..."

kareng57

• Super Hero!
Re: Staying on after contract ends - how to make it happen?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 05:05:05 PM »
I really don't think that there's anything else you can do, for the time being.  You already told them upon hiring that you would like to stay if a permanent position can be found, and they're telling you that it would be nice to be able to keep you.

They probably won't know until shortly before your contract is up.  The MatLeaveCoworker is perfectly within her rights to wait until a few days before her leave is up to decide whether or not she wants to return.  I understand your enthusiasm, but it could be kind of irritating for them to hear you often say "I'd love to stay" when they just won't know, one way or the other, for quite some time yet.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »
It is much too early to bring the subject up - keep doing a great job and creating a good impression.

Keep your eye out for open positions (many companies post them on murals or invite someone from HR for lunch every once in a while). You may be able to stay in a different position from the one you are in. If nothing shows up, about 2 months before your contract is up, talk to your manager and ask how they see your work and state that you would be interested in staying. Have ready a plan showing what you propose to be doing (aka, nothing that used to be done by the maternity leave employer) and the gain that will bring.

Pippen

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 05:32:50 PM »
It is much too early to bring the subject up - keep doing a great job and creating a good impression.

Keep your eye out for open positions (many companies post them on murals or invite someone from HR for lunch every once in a while). You may be able to stay in a different position from the one you are in. If nothing shows up, about 2 months before your contract is up, talk to your manager and ask how they see your work and state that you would be interested in staying. Have ready a plan showing what you propose to be doing (aka, nothing that used to be done by the maternity leave employer) and the gain that will bring.

Yes. You also need time to develop in the role and the company. Your not going to get your current role so I would be making an effort to get a thorough understanding of the other business units and develop relationships in them so it is a sideways shift. The more people who can see you as an asset the better.

GSNW

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:24:53 PM »
I think it would be okay to sit down with your direct supervisor maybe a month before your position is due to end.  Come prepared with a list of new tasks you've taken on, trainings you've participated in, etc, and make your case for being an asset to the company.  Tell them up front that you know they can't give you any information right now, but you want to make it clear how much you've enjoyed your time there and that you want to stay in some similar capacity regardless of what the employee on leave decides. 

I don't think I would be annoyed by supervising someone who does a great job and clearly wants to be there.  Yes, doing it now may come off as pushy and premature.  And who knows, in the meantime, they may approach you with an offer, suggestion, or to ask how things are.

Regarding trainings, make friends with someone in HR or get on the list for a professional development calendar or something, then let your supervisor know you'd like to attend.