Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Anniversary Party -- how much food??!! Is this enough variety??

(1/3) > >>

mamakinz:
Next month I am hosting a 50th anniversary party for my parents. Due to money constraints and lack of assistance from my siblings, the party will be at my home and I will be cooking. I expect about 40 - -50 guests -- all adults except for my 2 children (16 & 13) my sisters younger two (15 & 12 -- her other two are adults) and my brothers 2 --( 3 & 6 months)

My planned menu is:
Lemon - garlic chicken (I will cut each breast into 3 pieces)
Swedish meatballs
Baked Ziti (meat free)
Roasted potatos
A veggie - probably green beans
A tossed salad
Dinner rolls

Do I need another side dish? I was thinking maybe a rice / risotto dish

And how much should I make of each dish -- I don't usually cook for this many people, so I am at a loss with how much to make -- I don't want to run out, but I certainly don't want to be eating leftovers for the entire week after the party

The cake will be ordered -- probably from Costco. And I will have the house cleaned professionally the day before the party -- I keep it clean, but on a rotating basis over two weeks

Beverages will be: wine, beer, wine coolers, soda, ice tea, juice & water. If anyone has some good wine suggestions that would be great -- I am not a wine drinker, I know I will have a few bottles of cranberry wine that a friend makes and maybe a few bottles of mojitos that he also makes.

cicero:
I don't think you need a rice dish - you have a pasta dish and potatoes already. I would probably add another veg dish/salad, go with something you can make ahead like coleslaw (or if you can be a little adventurous with your crowd, this cabbage/mango slaw is divine)

I would add a bread/cracker/bread stick basket with 2-3 spreads.

I'm assuming this will be buffet style?also assuming you don't have vegans/severe allergies? wil you have appetziers, or just set up the food and have people start on the mains? an easy and not expensive starter could be a soup, to be served in small cups. something like chicken soup, split pea, onion etc)

SOrry, i'm bad with numbers/quantities. i always end up with too much food.

MrsCrazyPete:
I ALWAYS make too much food. Then I panic, think I don't have enough and add more.

Your menu sounds yummy! I agree with Cicero and say to add a small starter. Maybe a cheese and crackers tray for people to nibble on? I would also maybe add a fruit salad for those who don't wan cake. I'd imagine that at a 50th anniversary party, with most guests in their 70's, there are bound to be a few diabetics, cutting back on sugar, etc.

mamakinz:
I forgot about the appetizers -- I am planning on having a veggie/dip tray and a cheese and cracker tray ready at the start of the party -- both things that my kids can do!!

Fruit salad sounds good for with the cake. I'll find another veggie side dish

Thanks

doodlemor:
I think that your menu sounds scrumptious!

Here is a link to Swedish chef Tina Nordstrom's sauteed cabbage recipe.  I've made it before, and it is delicious.  It is also best if made the day before and reheated.  I think that I just sprinkled in a little spice, and didn't use cinnamon sticks.  This is for green cabbage. 

http://christmas.food.com/recipe/sauteed-cabbage-sweden-170774

Since I've got Swedish food on the brain, thinking about your meatballs, here is a link to Tina's carrots in a cream sauce with parsley and onion, which is also great made ahead.

http://www.food.com/recipe/royal-swedish-meatballs-with-parsley-dressed-carrots-427202

Tina Nordstrom was one of the chefs featured on New Scandinavian Cooking on PBS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version