Author Topic: Pregnant Coworker  (Read 3881 times)

MissBrit

Pregnant Coworker
« on: October 09, 2012, 05:28:16 PM »
I work in a medical office and I sit right next to a coworker who has just announced that she is pregnant. Are there any precautions that I should take now knowing this? When I get sick, I won't go in if the illness involves GI issues but I have gone to work with a cold. Do I now need to call out for even a cold? I can't wear a mask because it would make me sound very muffled when I talk on the phone, which I do all day long, and we don't have a divider between us. I get sick pay but it is only half of a regular days pay and would prefer not to miss if I can help it. An I over thinking this and is there anything else I can keep in mind?

I worked with a woman who was pregnant years ago but she was a lot more relaxed than this coworker is.

CakeBeret

Re: Pregnant Coworker
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »
I would say live your life as normal unless specifically asked/directed otherwise. :)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 05:51:36 PM »
I can't wear a mask.....

If you have a cold and it bothers your pregnant co-worker, she should feel free to wear one herself.

Jules1980

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
Pod!  Speaking as a pregnant coworker, your concern is touching, but ultimately, it's on her to take the necessary precautions to stay healthy.  It would be nice to warn her when you feel something coming on so she can be prepared with germx and such.  Besides, pregnant women aren't near as fragile as tv and movies make them out to be.  :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »
I would say live your life as normal unless specifically asked/directed otherwise. :)

I'll second that, but major kudos to you for being so thoughtful!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »
Completely over thinking.  Don't worry!!
Not such a newbie anymore

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 03:19:44 AM »

I'll second that, but major kudos to you for being so thoughtful!

I'll third that notion.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:07:56 AM »
I can't wear a mask.....

If you have a cold and it bothers your pregnant co-worker, she should feel free to wear one herself.
i agree.

and you are really nice!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

PurpleFrog

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 04:28:19 AM »
You're so sweet to be so concerned.

You'll be fine to just carry on as usual, I promise your cold won't be the end off the world. I worked up till 31 weeks (then signed off boo) as a nursing assistant, so was exposed to coughs, olds, even gi bugs, tadpole was fine. If she chooses to take precautions (flu jab, mask etc) that's up to her, but you should be fine.

However during later stages she may want to ask for help with lifting etc (the bump can get in the way!) And a cup of tea is always appreciated. ;)

[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »
Just wanted to add that I worked in healthcare during my pregnancies (38 weeks with 1st, 39 weeks with 2nd) during flu season and chicken pox epidemics and just the normal colds and stomach bugs all going around.  I never got sick even once.  I think it is lovely of you to be concerned but ultimately it's most likely not necessary.
Also agree with offering to help with lifting.  I am so grateful to co workers who lifted and carried things for me throughout my pregnancies.  It's a simple and very welcome gesture I think.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »
Just wanted to add that I worked in healthcare during my pregnancies (38 weeks with 1st, 39 weeks with 2nd) during flu season and chicken pox epidemics and just the normal colds and stomach bugs all going around.  I never got sick even once.  I think it is lovely of you to be concerned but ultimately it's most likely not necessary.
Also agree with offering to help with lifting.  I am so grateful to co workers who lifted and carried things for me throughout my pregnancies.  It's a simple and very welcome gesture I think.

Yeah, the only thing I could think of was if somebody needed to pick up a case of paper something like that.

Rohanna

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »
The only thing I would do differently is, when I got sick, ask the Dr if it's dangerous for pregnant women- there are a few diseases that are- mostly childhood ones (varicella, fifth disease..), so particularly if you have children, don't bring them by the office if they are ill. Common colds and the flu I would just warn her- but I would consider that common courtesy to co-workers, pregnant or not.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.