Author Topic: Songs That You Absolutely, Irrationally But Completely Cannot Stand.  (Read 10490 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Songs That You Absolutely, Irrationally But Completely Cannot Stand.
« Reply #255 on: July 28, 2014, 01:24:47 AM »
I've been spending lots of time in the car (road trip weekend) and listening to lyrics that don't make sense. I don't hate the songs, but I will keep track tomorrow so I can share.

Lots of lyrics make little or no sense.  Duran Duran's "View to a Kill" is an excellent example.  I love the song, and even some of the lines, especially the chorus.  It helps to know that this is the title song for a James Bond movie.  But this part:

"A sacred why, a mystery gaping inside
The weekend's why"

The weekend?  Seriously, the weekend?  James Bond doesn't work 9 to 5 business hours.
I should point out in that song's defence, most of Duran Duran's lyrics are basically word salad. Simon le Bon is not known for lyrical coherency.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2014, 04:08:27 AM »
Ugh.  I really just cannot listen to that song.  It just feels like nails down a chalkboard.

A close second is "I Wanna Be A Rockstar".

"I want a brand new house on an episode of Cribs
And a bathroom I can play baseball in
And a king size tub
Big enough for ten plus me"

He sounds like a spoilt brat.    I bought a book for DS called I Want That! and the little boy turned into the I Want That Monster.  All well and good, he got what he wanted but at a price - everyone was scared of him.   

I'm not a Nickelback fan (honest!) but I don't think the lyrics to Rockstar are meant to be taken quite so literally. I'm fairly sure he's not singing about himself; I think it's meant to be a humorous commentary on people who want to be in the business purely for the trappings, or who want all this stuff and think becoming a rockstar is the easy way to accomplish it.

Yeah, perpetua's idea is more along the lines of what the song's about, imo.

Yeah, I also think the idea of the song is that people don't actually get that being an entertainer still involves a lot of work - there's the bit where the creepy slightly demonic voice says "How you gonna do it?" and the song states that they'll "cut their hair and change their name", instead of say, "I'll learn to play the guitar and write my own songs!"

I get that it's kind of...well, not meant to be taken quite so literally, but I just really dislike the premise of the song lol. In the same way I hate "Wind The Bobbin Up". I actually sit at the Wiggles and Giggles classes with DS praying, praying, praying that they don't sing that one.  I don't expect anyone else to have the same irrational hate as I do, though some do and that's nice lol but each to their own.

It doesn't help that the stupid Rockstar song was used in a DFS ad, and I absolutely cannot stand their adverts end of story!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #257 on: July 28, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »
Ugh.  I really just cannot listen to that song.  It just feels like nails down a chalkboard.

A close second is "I Wanna Be A Rockstar".

"I want a brand new house on an episode of Cribs
And a bathroom I can play baseball in
And a king size tub
Big enough for ten plus me"

He sounds like a spoilt brat.    I bought a book for DS called I Want That! and the little boy turned into the I Want That Monster.  All well and good, he got what he wanted but at a price - everyone was scared of him.   

I'm not a Nickelback fan (honest!) but I don't think the lyrics to Rockstar are meant to be taken quite so literally. I'm fairly sure he's not singing about himself; I think it's meant to be a humorous commentary on people who want to be in the business purely for the trappings, or who want all this stuff and think becoming a rockstar is the easy way to accomplish it.

Yeah, perpetua's idea is more along the lines of what the song's about, imo.

Yeah, I also think the idea of the song is that people don't actually get that being an entertainer still involves a lot of work - there's the bit where the creepy slightly demonic voice says "How you gonna do it?" and the song states that they'll "cut their hair and change their name", instead of say, "I'll learn to play the guitar and write my own songs!"
Yes, I think it's satire, like "Money for Nothing," (which was apparently inspired almost word for word by the conversation of workers putting in a new kitchen at Mark Knoefler's home). I'm sure that successful musicians must get a lot of people going "Ohhh, you're so lucky!" as if talent and hard work isn't part of it, as well as people who don't realize the partying is likely to bring you down hard.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

poundcake

« Reply #258 on: July 28, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »
I've been spending lots of time in the car (road trip weekend) and listening to lyrics that don't make sense. I don't hate the songs, but I will keep track tomorrow so I can share.

Lots of lyrics make little or no sense.  Duran Duran's "View to a Kill" is an excellent example.  I love the song, and even some of the lines, especially the chorus.  It helps to know that this is the title song for a James Bond movie.  But this part:

"A sacred why, a mystery gaping inside
The weekend's why"

The weekend?  Seriously, the weekend?  James Bond doesn't work 9 to 5 business hours.
I should point out in that song's defence, most of Duran Duran's lyrics are basically word salad. Simon le Bon is not known for lyrical coherency.

When your lyrical influences include Jim Morrison and TS Eliot, you don't end up with straightforward story-song lyrics. I love his crazyass images and ways of turning a phrase!

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2014, 12:14:23 AM »
"Better Dig Two" by The Band Perry.  In fact, I'm not wild about most of their stuff, but this is the only one that I've actually changed the station over.  So far.

Although "Postcard From Paris" may follow soon.

Elegiac

« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2014, 04:07:09 AM »
I love Sarah McLachlan, but I cannot stand her song 'Angel'. It's sad and overplayed.

The song 'Stomper' also gets on my nerves.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #261 on: July 30, 2014, 05:55:13 PM »
I loathe glurgy songs anyway, and that includes glurgy love songs, especially ones that verge on creeper-stalker. So I give you

• Lady in Red
  • Wonderful Tonight
  • Lady
  • Hello
  • Everything I Do I Do It For You
  • Your Body is a Wonderland
  • the aforementioned Hero

But this hit on a number of reasons why those songs bug the stuffing out of me:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariannarebolini/stop-singing-songs-about-women-who-dont-know-theyre-beautifu
Movies do this too.  The stereotype is the uptight librarian who wears big black-rimmed glasses and scrapes her hair back in a bun, until some man takes away her glasses (thereby leaving her blind!) and takes down her hair.  And TA-DA! She's a raving beauty.  And now that some man loves her, she quits the job at the boring old library and prepares to spend the rest of her life worshiping at his altar, because she's so touched that he thinks she's beautiful.  (Every old-maid librarian evidently does this job because it's something to fill her endless drab hours until she can go home to her cat and her empty apartment.)

Most old maid librarians would LOVE to go home to their cat and their empty apartment because we are exhausted after a long day of "guess my question" or "deal with my emotional disability"...unfortunately, we usually belong to various social groups that demand our time after work because, you know, we just have that cat and an empty apartment to worry about.

I do remember one episode of an old anthology type show (on the order of Love Boat, not Night Gallery) in which a character went around presenting people with checks they had won in some sort of famous lottery.  In this episode, the young heroine was a librarian and she won several million, got everything fixed up and tightened (and since she was a popular TV star at the time, she didn't need to have any of that done) so she could attract some wonderfully handsome man that came in to the library all the time but didn't pay her any mind.

At the end of the ep. she found out he was a creep and she went crawling back to her job, just in time to realize that her bespectacled male coworker was very handsome....when she took his glasses off.  It was a cute role reversal, but still the continuation of a stereotype. 

magicdomino

« Reply #262 on: July 30, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »

I do remember one episode of an old anthology type show (on the order of Love Boat, not Night Gallery) in which a character went around presenting people with checks they had won in some sort of famous lottery.  In this episode, the young heroine was a librarian and she won several million, got everything fixed up and tightened (and since she was a popular TV star at the time, she didn't need to have any of that done) so she could attract some wonderfully handsome man that came in to the library all the time but didn't pay her any mind.

At the end of the ep. she found out he was a creep and she went crawling back to her job, just in time to realize that her bespectacled male coworker was very handsome....when she took his glasses off.  It was a cute role reversal, but still the continuation of a stereotype.

Sounds like Love American Style.

zyrs

• spiffily male.

Sounds like Love American Style.

I think it was an episode of Lottery.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
It always amazes me that screenwriters assume people wear glasses for reasons totally unconnected with being able to see where they're going.

I do vaguely remember some 60's romcom where a cute blonde refused to wear her glasses, and was always running into things, but in general no one ever seems to have any problems having removed their glasses. Perhaps they have some sort of autocontact feature.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

poundcake

Back to songs you can't stand.

Depeche Mode. I had a one-time bf who was Depechier Than Thou. The were the greatest band ever, no other band could compare, this band sucked because they didn't ___ like Depeche, listen to this song thirty time in a row and play air-keyboards and lecture me about what Vince Clarke did versus Alan Wilder-

As a result, even though there are some kitschy fun Depeche Mode songs, and even some genuinely great ones that've stood the test of time, hearing Depeche Mode just makes me  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Nothing but negative associations.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
Twik, I think that was the character played by Marilyn Monroe in How to Marry a Millionaire.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Back to songs you can't stand.

Depeche Mode. I had a one-time bf who was Depechier Than Thou. The were the greatest band ever, no other band could compare, this band sucked because they didn't ___ like Depeche, listen to this song thirty time in a row and play air-keyboards and lecture me about what Vince Clarke did versus Alan Wilder-

As a result, even though there are some kitschy fun Depeche Mode songs, and even some genuinely great ones that've stood the test of time, hearing Depeche Mode just makes me  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Nothing but negative associations.

I had a one time gf who was the same way about STYX.  I can't listen to any of their music now.