News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 28, 2015, 07:30:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?  (Read 98199 times)

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
Re: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?
« Reply #795 on: January 16, 2015, 08:15:46 PM »
I've been following the updates for Grateful Doe eagerly.  It's a sad story all around.  I too can understand why the mother never reported him missing.  With him being a legal adult in sound mind who outright said he was leaving, there really wasn't much she could do.  I also read that she ran into issues with what jurisdiction to file in, with him saying he was going to follow the Grateful Dead.

It's funny... I've spent the past 13 years wondering who this young man is.  Now that it seems they're close to finding his identity, I can't help but to feel sad.  Jason Callahan sounds like someone who would have been friends with my neighbor's son - and someone I probably would have had a preteen crush on.  You don't want to think that he's been gone for 20 years.  While I want Grateful Doe to get his name back, part of me would prefer to hear that this free spirit has just been doing his thing the whole time.

AzaleaBloom

« Reply #796 on: January 26, 2015, 11:30:02 AM »
Another long term mystery solved.

In 1979, the body of a teenage girl was discovered in a cornfield in Caledonia, New York.  She had gone unidentified all this time.

She was just identified as Tammy Jo Alexander, a young girl who had run away from home.  She had not been reported missing until a friend of hers realized she hadn't been heard from in over 35 years. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #797 on: January 26, 2015, 03:19:59 PM »
Her friend noticed when her family never reported it?

It makes you wonder a bit about what kind of things happened in that family that they apparently just let her run off and never approached the authorities...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #798 on: January 26, 2015, 03:54:24 PM »

It makes you wonder a bit about what kind of things happened in that family that they apparently just let her run off and never approached the authorities...

If she had a history of running away, the authorities may have declined to take a report.

Looks like the family had never filed the report, but unknown as to why...

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-citrus-hernando/tammy-jo-alexander-a-teen-who-went-missing-from-brooksville-in-1979-has-been-identified
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #799 on: January 26, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »

If she had a history of running away, the authorities may have declined to take a report.

Looks like the family had never filed the report, but unknown as to why...

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-citrus-hernando/tammy-jo-alexander-a-teen-who-went-missing-from-brooksville-in-1979-has-been-identified

I understand that more than one "missing child" report has turned out to be related to a parent or step-parent doing something, then trying to "cover it up". 

Or the family was strung out on something (or needed meds that they weren't taking) and really didn't notice for so long that they figured the kid was legally of age by then and would & could contact their family again when they were "ready" rather than thinking that the young woman was dead....

I can see how it might be explained - I just can't see it happening with any of my relatives.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

squeakers

« Reply #800 on: January 26, 2015, 04:51:39 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/CaledoniaNYJD1979

https://www.facebook.com/notes/never-forget-me/tammy-jo-alexander/951066874907350

"I would like to clear up some misinformation; Tammy's sister was a child when Tammy went missing. As far as her entire family knows her mother and step father did report her missing; had even given them updates as to what was going on. She has always thought Tammy was reported missing. It is possible that Tammy's file was purged way back when like Michelle Knight from Ohio who was Ariel Castro's victim."
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #801 on: January 26, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/notes/never-forget-me/tammy-jo-alexander/951066874907350

"I would like to clear up some misinformation; Tammy's sister was a child when Tammy went missing. As far as her entire family knows her mother and step father did report her missing; had even given them updates as to what was going on. She has always thought Tammy was reported missing. It is possible that Tammy's file was purged way back when like Michelle Knight from Ohio who was Ariel Castro's victim."

Unsolved Missing Person files get purged? That's horrific.

squeakers

« Reply #802 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:01 PM »

Unsolved Missing Person files get purged? That's horrific.

"On August 23, 2002, Knight left her cousin's house and subsequently disappeared. Her family reported her as missing, but most eventually came to believe that Knight, distraught over losing her son and unable to deal with the negative turns her life had taken, had run away on her own. Though her mother continued to post fliers about her daughter, Knight was removed from the FBI's database of missing persons in 2003."
http://www.biography.com/people/michelle-knight-21399719#early-life

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #803 on: January 26, 2015, 09:14:46 PM »

Entirely possible.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

viedejoie

« Reply #804 on: Yesterday at 05:35:32 AM »
Imagine my surprise while getting drawn into this thread and checking out the charlie website and randomly googling the name of a childhood acquaintance who was murdered... to find that her murder and another missing child's case were connected and that the murderer was NOT found as I was led to believe as a child (I was in 3rd grade when this happened, she went to my school)... it and a few other childhood events have strongly shaped how I parent...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/ellinwood_ann.html

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #805 on: Yesterday at 11:10:33 AM »
I have been reading Sean Munger's blog, and he periodically posts about missing persons.  There was one he did because the missing person came from the same area he did.  There is next to no info on the case.  He was travelling with a friend, and the 2 guys had an argument.  Jay, missing person, got out of the car and wasn't seen again.  The few details in the case don't make it clear if the argument was in a small town in California or Las Vegas, and there was no follow up with friend to clarify.

The case is 40 years old, and Munger said that the lack of details is so unsettling.  There is no mention of Jay's family in the case file.  Did he have no family, or did they not care?  Or did they try, but police resources were so limited back then that after a preliminary effort they were discouraged?  Munger did point out that in missing person's cases, having an active family presence pushing and pushing and wanting answers seems to help a lot.

I think that is what unsettles me about missing persons cases: no one will know what happened to you, and sometimes, no one seems to care.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

AzaleaBloom

« Reply #806 on: Yesterday at 03:17:48 PM »
The more I read about the Tammy Jo Alexander case, the more it sounds like her parents never reported her missing. 

She and a friend had run away to California at one point, and when the friend called her mother, her mother ended up having to pay for both of them to fly home - because Tammy's mom said something along the lines of her just staying out there.

The half sister lived with her grandmother, and apparently the parents had told her that a report had been filed.  However, records have shown that they never did.  It almost sounds more like they told the sister they had filed the report to get her to drop the question.

Very, very, very sad story.