News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 26, 2015, 12:10:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 84911 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #690 on: May 21, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »
Senior Prank day. What a ridiculous concept. My friend's school allowed their seniors to make a huge mess, create trip hazards on the stairs (covered with at least 30 cubic feet of shredded paper) and stack all classroom furniture. My friend thinks it is hilarious. She calls it a rite of passage.  :-X :-[ ::) ??? :o

No school work is being done, because all the staff and students have to spend the day putting the school to rights.

This is my opinion, I respect differing ones, but I see no value in creating a huge mess and a dangerous one at that.

Mustard

« Reply #691 on: May 21, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »
I find the concept of Prank Day puzzling, and quite frankly stacking classroom furniture shows a marked lack of imagination..

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #692 on: May 21, 2015, 11:48:29 AM »
Senior pranks can be fun.  I heard of one today that was good.  The school had an outdoor, electronic message board.  The kids rigged it to display that the school was for sale.  96 rooms, 28 bathrooms, etc.  just like aregular real estate listing.  They were asking 2.5 million dollars. 

The one described in the earlier post just sounds dangerous. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #693 on: May 21, 2015, 11:54:15 AM »
^That sounds amazing. I've seen a lot of good ones by MIT and other colleges, and then high schools setting up a classroom outside, or on the roof, or something creative. This was nothing more than a mess. I felt horrible for the custodial staff.

andi

« Reply #694 on: May 21, 2015, 12:47:06 PM »
My high school banned Senior pranks after one class went through and super glued all the door locks in one building  and vacaline coated all the door knobs in another.

My senior year sorta brought it back - we painted the speed bumps hot pink and unplugged all the clocks

Mary Lennox

« Reply #695 on: May 21, 2015, 01:37:39 PM »
Our senior prank day was fairly tame. Everyone bought one or two garden gnomes from the dollar store and throughout the day groups of gnomes would randomly appear through the campus. Nice and safe and barely any clean up at the end.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #696 on: May 21, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »
I love those pranks, they are clever and cause no harm. DH and his friends brought a fire hydrant to school for their senior prank. They wore trench coats (in Florida, in May!) and carried it between them. It moved from place to place all day.

Frog24

« Reply #697 on: May 21, 2015, 02:41:42 PM »
I am sad that it'll be another 8 years... yeeeeeeaaaarrrssss before I can show my favorite movies to my daughter:  "Willow", "The Princess Bride", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?", etc.  I want to watch them with her and enjoy them as much as I do.

However, I'm also worried that by the time she's old enough to watch them, she won't find them interesting because kids movies today as so fast-paced, with hyper-animation, and fast shot cuts.  I tried watching "Mary Poppins" with her a few months ago (when she was 4 and a half) and she couldn't get through the first half hour because it was too slow and "boring".  :(

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #698 on: May 21, 2015, 03:04:24 PM »
Senior pranks can be fun.  I heard of one today that was good.  The school had an outdoor, electronic message board.  The kids rigged it to display that the school was for sale.  96 rooms, 28 bathrooms, etc.  just like aregular real estate listing.  They were asking 2.5 million dollars. 

The one described in the earlier post just sounds dangerous.

I was just going to post this! this kind of prank is fine in my book. no damage to any property, as the message can be changed very easily, and actually creative and kind of funny! i seem to recall one part said something about can feed hundreds at a time. i.e. the cafeteria

LadyDyani

« Reply #699 on: May 21, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »
I am sad that it'll be another 8 years... yeeeeeeaaaarrrssss before I can show my favorite movies to my daughter:  "Willow", "The Princess Bride", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?", etc.  I want to watch them with her and enjoy them as much as I do.

However, I'm also worried that by the time she's old enough to watch them, she won't find them interesting because kids movies today as so fast-paced, with hyper-animation, and fast shot cuts.  I tried watching "Mary Poppins" with her a few months ago (when she was 4 and a half) and she couldn't get through the first half hour because it was too slow and "boring".  :(

I think she'll like them fine. My daughter didn't enjoy Mary Poppins until she was 8-9 years old. My son is 14 and my daughter is 17 and they both love Princess Bride, and both enjoyed Roger Rabbit. Haven't shown them Willow yet, I'll bet my daughter would love it.

When she was 11 years old I showed her The Last Unicorn and she fell in love with that, and that movie moves suuuuuuper sloooooooow.

Get her the Muppet Movie, the one from the 70's. I'm almost 40 and I still love that one.  :-D
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

turtleIScream

« Reply #700 on: May 21, 2015, 11:20:15 PM »

We just watched The Princess Bride with my 5 1/2 year old. He loved it. His favourite line is "murdered by pirates is good." Obviously, he will enjoy it more as he gets older and understands more, but fortunately, TPB only improves with repeat viewings. So, maybe you only have a year or less!
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #701 on: May 21, 2015, 11:37:55 PM »
My high school banned Senior pranks after one class went through and super glued all the door locks in one building  and vacaline coated all the door knobs in another.

My senior year sorta brought it back - we painted the speed bumps hot pink and unplugged all the clocks

My first year of high school senior pranks were also banned - after they 'borrowed' the school flag pole and it couldn't be found.

By time my senior year rolled around, the flag pole turned up.  It had been laid down alongside a building's foundation, and had been there all along.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #702 on: May 23, 2015, 07:04:44 PM »
Senior Pranks were banned in the my district back when my Dad's 1st cousins went to my HS - I suspect 2 of them may have had something to do with it. They are the source of at least one school legend.

My Junior year the district was talking about which 2 HS to close due to declining enrollment. They were focused on our 2 biggest rivals. Due to the feeder system 2 different Junior Highs fed into our HS. Roughly 1/2 the population of the JHs went to my school the other 1/2 went to one of our rivals. (Caused fights and troubles all 3 years of JH).

Our school was vandalized as a "prank" early in the year. A large number of kids from the school west of us were caught. They were seniors including all the senior class officers. Their prom fund was used to make the repairs. Which I thought was unfair. The families of the kids caught should have had to pay not the entire class. Their school was vandalized the next week -  but it could not be proven it was seniors from my school. Should have been easy they were bragging about it.

I ended up in the ER because of the repairs - and the admin tried to push the kids from the other HS under the bus for that to. The pad that goes on the wall under the basketball hoop, was slashed. So it was taken down after school one day and a new one put up. Some type of glue was used. The next day I was in Drama 4th period and Drill team 5th. I was accidentally exposed to spray paint because the group working on some set pieces put them in the auditorium still wet because it was raining - then I went to Drill team and was working out - and passed out. Was taken to the nurse, then to the ER by Mom on doctor's orders. (ER was less than 5 min from school, Doctor was 45min - 1hour due to Houston Traffic).

The district administrators contacted my parents basically offering up the kids as scapegoats. My parents had threatened a law suit over extreme physical bullying when I was in 5th, and in 7th grade a medical study that looked at my cumulative file found my 3rd grade teacher had documented abusive behavior on her part. So I think it was a oh #*&# it is that family moment. Dad's response was to tell them those kids and the school could not have foreseen that someone would react that many hours after the glue had been applied. It was the unlikely combo of the spray paint fumes + the lingering glue fumes (They had a person in there all night running the fans)+ my damaged lungs.

I know there were notes in my file ordering that in the case of allergic reaction to call 911 and send me to the ER. They may have thought that wasn't followed by the school. But Mom was volunteering that day. She had signed  - so the staff knew she was there.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future