Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 220654 times)

lowspark

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #1230 on: November 24, 2014, 11:58:50 AM »
I think that there is a tendency to not put value on things volunteers do, be it time or actual work produced. It's obtained for free so it has no perceived value. It's a sad thing because I bet there are a million stories like these, where a volunteer did something, it was taken for granted or misused or appropriated without credit, and the volunteer quit helping the organization.

So often this is true.  But!  Just to restore your faith in humanity, I have a totally opposite story.

My dad is a semi-professional photographer (he does weddings and portraits and stuff for money, but it's not his full-time day job).  He got involved with the high school drama program at the school his church used on Sundays -- he'd taken pictures of our shows when we were in high school, but never thought he'd be still doing stuff with high schoolers after we were all out of college.  ;)

So he offered to take pictures of their show.  Naturally, they were skeptical at first because so many photographers have no idea how to be unobtrusive during a live performance.  He showed up in all black, his camera flash-less and on an easily movable monopod, and took pictures of the dress rehearsal.  Then he printed out a bunch of 4x6 images as well as a couple poster sized montages.  Scattered them all over the tables the kids were going to eat their meal on in between the shows on Saturday, for them to keep.

They. Were. Over. The. Moon.

Afterwards, the director asked, "Uh, so how much do we owe you?"  And my dad said, "Uh...nothing."

Yeah, they adored him and he kept up that relationship all three years they lived there.  He did senior portraits and professional headshots (for money) for a bunch of the students and kept doing pictures of their shows for free.  They loved him, bragged about him to others, said thank you a million times.  And at their end of the year celebration banquet dinner thing (at least once, maybe more), they gave him a plaque and honored him for his contribution to their program. 

So sometimes they do appreciate you even when you offer it free!

What a great story!! It is really nice when one's efforts are so clearly appreciated, paid or volunteer!

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1231 on: Yesterday at 02:36:57 PM »
LOL.

I quit volunteering my graphic design and document production services to groups because invariably I (a professional with over 20 years of experience in the field) would be told that I totally don't know what I'm doing and person X (usually the one telling me I'm awful) reworks my stuff without consulting me and then blames the resulting issues on me.  ::)

No thanks! You guys can just go back to making things that look like the infamous newletter used as an example of what not to do in graphic design classed. http://therockmcc.pbworks.com/f/Children_Church_Kids_Newsletter-04.jpg

My inner photoshopper is crying  :'( Oh Deity why?

Because they can.

I also spot at least six typos/grammar/usage errors.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1232 on: Yesterday at 03:18:51 PM »
LOL.

I quit volunteering my graphic design and document production services to groups because invariably I (a professional with over 20 years of experience in the field) would be told that I totally don't know what I'm doing and person X (usually the one telling me I'm awful) reworks my stuff without consulting me and then blames the resulting issues on me.  ::)

No thanks! You guys can just go back to making things that look like the infamous newletter used as an example of what not to do in graphic design classed. http://therockmcc.pbworks.com/f/Children_Church_Kids_Newsletter-04.jpg

Because they can.

I think that was purposely made to look like that as examples of what not to do. I doubt that is a real newsletter.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #1233 on: Yesterday at 03:49:43 PM »
LOL.

Because they can.

I think that was purposely made to look like that as examples of what not to do. I doubt that is a real newsletter.
After 17 years as a graphic designer, I am 100% convinced that it is real. I've seen...things.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1234 on: Yesterday at 03:56:58 PM »
When I first started in my current position, I started traveling to other locations and training other employees on document handling/student records. I came across a handout that was so bad, I gasped in horror. It had over 10 different colors of text, in different orientations, and with 10 different fonts. A student working at the office had made it and it was never sent to graphic standards. Since then, we have a rigorous review procedure for all handouts.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1235 on: Yesterday at 04:19:32 PM »
In the history of the universe, there has never been a shortage of stupidity.  Ignorance has rarely been in short supply, either.  Common sense, on the other hand, may be as rare as platinum.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #1236 on: Yesterday at 04:19:44 PM »
LOL.

Because they can.

After 17 years as a graphic designer, I am 100% convinced that it is real. I've seen...things.

In my mind, you say that in the quiet tone of someone who has been to (graphic design) hell and back.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

LazyDaisy

« Reply #1237 on: Yesterday at 04:27:41 PM »
LOL.

Because they can.

In my mind, you say that in the quiet tone of someone who has been to (graphic design) hell and back.
Yes. And with a shudder. The hysterical wail-inducing part is that I really, really want to help them. They just...they won't let me  :'(
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1238 on: Yesterday at 04:44:19 PM »
LOL.

Because they can.

Oh no, I used to make stuff that looked just like that in middle and high school.  I was SO proud of myself.  I am so happy that computer was borked and had to be thrown away

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #1239 on: Yesterday at 04:52:46 PM »
LOL.

Because they can.

Yes. And with a shudder. The hysterical wail-inducing part is that I really, really want to help them. They just...they won't let me  :'(

There are none so blind as those who no know nothing about graphic design and are convinced that different fonts in different colors is the answer to everything.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

magicdomino

« Reply #1240 on: Yesterday at 04:57:58 PM »
Oh no, I used to make stuff that looked just like that in middle and high school.  I was SO proud of myself.  I am so happy that computer was borked and had to be thrown away

I did as well, and I don't have the excuse of being a teenager.  It's just that computers with easy-to-use fonts and clip art, and printers that could print graphics instead of whatever printwheel was in there were new, and it was so much fun to experiment.  Some of those experiments were . . . unfortunate. 

buvezdevin

« Reply #1241 on: Yesterday at 05:26:52 PM »

I did as well, and I don't have the excuse of being a teenager.  It's just that computers with easy-to-use fonts and clip art, and printers that could print graphics instead of whatever printwheel was in there were new, and it was so much fun to experiment.  Some of those experiments were . . . unfortunate.

And when PowerPoint first came into broad usage in business, I am sure I was an offender as well as audience victim - it's all a blurred memory of months in which no business meeting seems to have been complete without at least one multi-slide, random clip art adorned, and "creatively" formatted, multi-font, oooooh colors! and dissolves! kind of presentation in which the business points tended to be lost in the growing realization that graphic design is a skill and discipline best used by those with the skills and discipline. 

Those of us without the skill do best to "keep it simple" or risk a result akin to performing brain surgery with a machete rather than a scalpel. 
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1242 on: Yesterday at 05:31:15 PM »

There are none so blind as those who know nothing about graphic design and are convinced that different fonts in different colors is the answer to everything.

Except maybe the poor eyes forced to read the offending pamphlets