News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 19, 2017, 08:07:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 158398 times)

FauxFoodist

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #1065 on: February 16, 2017, 12:44:38 AM »
Was just thinking of this thread as DH and I have so much stuff we've got an expensive storage unit and had a goal of 12/31/16 to get rid of (we missed because DH kept putting off working on it, and I didn't push to get it done).  We've now got it to half-full (yay!) as I finally said no more putting it off for him to socialize (I gave him a pass over the holidays since it's so important to him to socialize during Christmas season but once we hit Epiphany, I told him no more stalling as Christmas was over and everyone else could wait until after we were done).  There's still a lot of work to do, but the primary goal right now is to go through enough stuff that the remainder can be put into our garage and we can get rid of the storage unit (hopefully, by the end of this month but, if not, by the end of March).  Nothing has pushed DH as much as insisting that there will be no more socializing plans until we're out (DH had one plan after another that kept interfering with him working on the storage unit; I can't physically deal with moving everything so it was all on him to get things moved to donate, trash or bring home for me to sort through for donation, keeping or trashing).

I am so looking forward to the day we've got all of our abundance of stuff under control and organized.  As we sort through things, I point out to DH how uber-organized I once was (I go really disorganized or really organized; nothing really in the middle).  I know I'll never be organized like that again (makes me be way too intense and inflexible), but it would be nice to not be tripping over our own stuff.  With so much stuff, our house feels too small, but we know we actually have plenty of space but just too much stuff.  It's a good thing we don't have a bigger house; it would just give us an excuse to keep more things.

I'm happy to say that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel with the storage unit.  We, realistically, should be able to be done by this weekend.  While I don't look forward to the mountain of stuff still to go through in the garage, it's so nice to realize we won't be having to pay for the storage unit anymore.  The first round of stuff is easy to go through and donate, give away or discard most of it.  It's that next round that scares me -- trying to force myself to part with things.  I so look forward to an uncluttered house.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #1066 on: February 16, 2017, 06:19:02 AM »
Bought 4 collapsible storage boxes so even if I have the same amout of stuff at least some of it will be neater (I like it much better when things are in the same kind of storage, not in a mismatch of boxes size/look). A bit cheaply made and not pretty at all but very light and if I'm carefull there's no reason for them not to last - and they fold down into nothing.

And by moving things around from previous boxes to those ones I can trim the fat a bit  ;D.

I agree; there's something pleasing to the eye when everything is uniform. That's why i love my open storage cubes with the fabric "drawers" i can stuff stuff in them, but you only see the cube, and the neat fronts of the drawers. the clutter is out of sight :)

I love the idea, but unfortunately, the phrase 'out of sight, out of mind' applies all too well to me.  If I can't see it, then it doesn't exist, I forget what I have, and end up buying a duplicate someday.  Hence the decluttering.  Again.
*sigh*

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1067 on: February 16, 2017, 08:15:18 AM »
Bought 4 collapsible storage boxes so even if I have the same amout of stuff at least some of it will be neater (I like it much better when things are in the same kind of storage, not in a mismatch of boxes size/look). A bit cheaply made and not pretty at all but very light and if I'm carefull there's no reason for them not to last - and they fold down into nothing.

And by moving things around from previous boxes to those ones I can trim the fat a bit  ;D.

I agree; there's something pleasing to the eye when everything is uniform. That's why i love my open storage cubes with the fabric "drawers" i can stuff stuff in them, but you only see the cube, and the neat fronts of the drawers. the clutter is out of sight :)

I love the idea, but unfortunately, the phrase 'out of sight, out of mind' applies all too well to me.  If I can't see it, then it doesn't exist, I forget what I have, and end up buying a duplicate someday.  Hence the decluttering.  Again.
*sigh*

That's me with my fridge/freezer. It doesn't help i have the smallest full size fridge they make, since I rent. i'm almost 5'6" and i'm taller than the fridge, so when i open it, the bottom two shelves are literally knee and shin level. and the top is somewhere around my midsection. I've started keeping an inventory of what's in my freezer, and may have to do one for the fridge as well. Because i waste so much food simply by forgetting its in there!

and it always looks full since i try and keep everything to the front, since once it goes in the back, i really cannot see it, unless i sit on the floor, in front, and pull it out.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1068 on: February 16, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
Best investment I've made is in a large, French door fridge with the freezer on the bottom.  I don't lose food in that fridge.  I can lose stuff in the freezer if it is on the top shelf so I try to keep a minimum of stuff on the shelf beside the ice tray.  I use it mainly for my medical ice packs, though there is a bit of other stuff there right now.

My chest freezers (yes, plural) are a different story.  I desperately need to reorganize them.  Maybe this weekend...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1069 on: February 16, 2017, 09:24:32 AM »
Best investment I've made is in a large, French door fridge with the freezer on the bottom.  I don't lose food in that fridge.  I can lose stuff in the freezer if it is on the top shelf so I try to keep a minimum of stuff on the shelf beside the ice tray.  I use it mainly for my medical ice packs, though there is a bit of other stuff there right now.

My chest freezers (yes, plural) are a different story.  I desperately need to reorganize them.  Maybe this weekend...

Wish that were an option for me! I get what they provide. its just annoying since i can't bend down very well.

Carotte

« Reply #1070 on: February 16, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »

*sigh*

I'm lucky in that I don't have a lot of things, and not really the disposable income to get more things, nor the wish for -  so there's not a lot coming in, at least no big things, and it helps when you are looking for a more minimalist look from the start so I don't have like themed/seasonal decorations and things like that.
But it also means I have to focus on the small doodads, things I've keept because they'd still have value but I never use, and those, well they never end as we all know in this thread!
A lot of craft things are finding their way to a familly friend with kids at least.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #1071 on: February 16, 2017, 11:18:02 AM »

We have a regular fridge/freezer, an upright freezer and a cube refrigerator.  All are full but only the regular fridge is unrealistically full (meaning so full it's not organized properly).  The fridge freezer, OTOH, I think I need to go through and throw out some old things.  We intentionally got both the regular fridge/freezer and upright freezer at the same time the day we closed escrow on our house.  I'd always wanted a big freezer and knew it would get a lot of use (it does and is full).  The cube fridge was something I got via Freecycle when my regular fridge broke (came with the place I was renting).  We started using it for beverages and just continued to do so.  It's very convenient as it fits on top of the freezer and we're able to regularly have lots of different cold drinks (bottled water, soda, protein shakes and juice boxes -- the final two for me for my diabetes when I need a fast-acting sugar or don't have time to eat/need to consume something on the run) while not losing space in the regular fridge.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #1072 on: Today at 06:24:53 PM »
Victory!!!  Storage unit is gone, woohoo!  I'm hoping this is the last time ever (my hope the last 2-3 times I had to rent a storage unit).  Garage still has a ton of stuff, but the fact that we were able to empty the storage unit means we're making progress towards whittling down our ton of stuff.