Author Topic: Songs That You Absolutely, Irrationally But Completely Cannot Stand.  (Read 14328 times)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
Re: Songs That You Absolutely, Irrationally But Completely Cannot Stand.
« Reply #285 on: October 17, 2014, 12:05:41 AM »
"Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton. I call it the Codependents National Anthem.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #286 on: October 17, 2014, 01:48:53 AM »
Cat's in the cradle.  I absolutely learned to dread that song at karaoke.
I used to love Lying Eyes, and still do, unless it's at karaoke.  Talk about microphone hogs (on both of them).
When I was a kid there was a version of Tennessee Waltz by Patti Page that they played so often on our only radio station that I couldn't stand to listen to it.
Someone mentioned 'Baby it's cold outside"  I like it.  It was in the film, Neptune's Daughter and was sang by Ricardo Montalban and Esther Williams. I liked that, too.  but not as much as Margaret whiting a Johnny Mercer. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:08:00 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #287 on: October 17, 2014, 02:07:41 AM »
Crimson and Clover. It's just so whiney. Ugh.

YES, a thousand times yes.  I know at least two people who LOVE this song and revere it as a great classic.  I cannot STAND it.
I have to say I love it..also, Hey, Jude.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

the girl person

« Reply #288 on: October 18, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »
Even if I don't enjoy most of the songs listed already, I can deal with the majority of them.

Songs I can't stand would be every Christmas song played any other time than December 15 thru December 31.

But as far as a single song - "Ko Ko Mo" by the Beach Boys.  Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.  I had to repeat that just in case I wasn't clear.  20+ years spent trying to forget that song ever happened completely down the drain.  Now that I reminded myself of it's existence I need to excuse myself so I can try to scrub the memory from my brain.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #289 on: October 18, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »
Even if I don't enjoy most of the songs listed already, I can deal with the majority of them.

Songs I can't stand would be every Christmas song played any other time than December 15 thru December 31.

But as far as a single song - "Ko Ko Mo" by the Beach Boys.  Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.  I had to repeat that just in case I wasn't clear.  20+ years spent trying to forget that song ever happened completely down the drain.  Now that I reminded myself of it's existence I need to excuse myself so I can try to scrub the memory from my brain.

No! I had forgotten about Kokomo. I was in high school when that came out. I was working retail where we listened to "soft rock." They played that song all the time...at least once per shift. I do like some Beach Boys songs,but not that one.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #290 on: October 18, 2014, 02:46:32 PM »

No! I had forgotten about Kokomo. I was in high school when that came out. I was working retail where we listened to "soft rock." They played that song all the time...at least once per shift. I do like some Beach Boys songs,but not that one.

I seriously believed, when that song came out, it was a rather long radio ad for a travel agency.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

SDG31000

« Reply #291 on: October 18, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »
Tainted Love by Soft Cell.......I hate it with a passion

Don't You Want me Baby by The Human League

Another vote for Cats in the Cradle and anything by Celine Dion.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2014, 04:28:38 PM »
Most modern Christmas songs.  That wretched Christmas Shoes song and "Last Christmas" get the radio switched off ASAP.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #293 on: October 18, 2014, 04:35:33 PM »

No! I had forgotten about Kokomo. I was in high school when that came out. I was working retail where we listened to "soft rock." They played that song I all the time...at least once per shift. I do like some Beach Boys songs,but not that one.
I seriously believed, when that song came out, it was a rather long radio ad for a travel agency.

The version of it I know features The Muppets. It makes everything better.

I'm another who can't stand Blurred Lines - I loathe the concept of the song, I loathe the video and I especially loathe the incoherent vocals. And, just to cap the irritation quotient, Robin Thicke is related to the person who voiced possibly the most irritating character on my favourite cartoon...

Then there's Wiggle It (or at least, I think that's the title), which Kiss FM were way too pleased with over the summer. (seriously, I only go to the gym three times a week, there is a tonne of stuff Kiss FM could be playing; why on earth was I hearing this wretched song at least twice per visit?!)

poundcake

« Reply #294 on: October 18, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »
I was recently reminded of a particularly vile song: Toby Keith's "Red Solo Cup." In fact, it may be as offensive as his song about puttin' an Amurrican boot in the Middle East's butt. Not only is it just annoying musically, but the lyrics capture a particular sentiment found in the population of Americans not well-versed in critical thinking skills. See, it's not just enough that he prefers Red Solo Cups. It's that he thinks that if you don't, then there is something morally wrong with you, and you aren't as good as him, and should be publicly shamed for your obvious moral inferiority. In fact, if you are male and don't prefer his red plastic cup, you are clearly not "a real man." And the most important thing in life is drinkin' beer and pickin' up gals.

So much lowest-common-denominator entitlement in one song, you sexist, classist jerkwad.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:33:19 AM by poundcake »

rainbowkitty

« Reply #295 on: October 18, 2014, 10:11:37 PM »
Sea of Love by the Honeydrippers sets my teeth on edge and Hate, Hate, HATE anything by Rush!  Instant headache.

HGolightly

I am Canadian and it seems like we have to like Rush....I may be kicked out of Canada for this but I do not like them.  Luckily we are all allowed to dislike Nickelback.

magicdomino

Then there's Wiggle It (or at least, I think that's the title), which Kiss FM were way too pleased with over the summer. (seriously, I only go to the gym three times a week, there is a tonne of stuff Kiss FM could be playing; why on earth was I hearing this wretched song at least twice per visit?!)

Is that the song where the singer is expressing great admiration for a lady's derriere, and the chorus is "Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle" repeated endlessly?  That was the last straw for a radio station that I used to listen to in the office.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find another one that I like and that the radio can get a decent signal.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run

Is that the song where the singer is expressing great admiration for a lady's derriere, and the chorus is "Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle" repeated endlessly?  That was the last straw for a radio station that I used to listen to in the office.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find another one that I like and that the radio can get a decent signal.

It might be - the one I'm complaining about is slow and has a kind of whistling thing going on, but it almost certainly is praising the finer points of someone's rear-view.

perpetua

Roxy Music's "Virginia Plain", partly because I hate Roxy Music but mostly because no oboe should ever have to suffer that kind of torture and humiliation.

Not many songs have me screaming for the off switch, but this one does.