News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 03:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: E-book reader or something else?  (Read 910 times)

jpcher

Re: E-book reader or something else?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
I have a Samsung tablet. Pretty versatile and not terribly expensive.

I'm very happy with my Samsung Nook tablet.

Previously when I went on a similar trip I used an old tablet. But now that tablet is even slower and can not keep up with modern softwares.

Curious. Can you not download (buy) books on this old tablet so that they are available to read throughout your trip without wifi connection? Even if it is old, once the reading material resides on your tablet it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I'm off on this, would like to hear other's thoughts since I'm not sure how dedicated e-readears work

That's one thing I like about my Samsung Nook. I don't have to have wifi available to read my books. But if wifi is available the tablet can be used for all your internet needs.

Here's another thought . . . maybe you can borrow an e-reader from your local library. I googled "borrowing ereaders from libraries" found this:

https://www.poudrelibraries.org/borrow/ereaders.php

maybe your library has something like this that would suit your needs.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
Personally, I'd go with some sort of e-book reader that isn't back lit.  Easier on the eyes and better for getting ready to sleep than something lit.  I find a phone too small for reading books.  I've done it but it was a pain in the butt because I was always turning pages.  An e-reader will be larger.  And important for me, allows me to increase the font size to make it easier to read without my bifocals.  :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »
Personally, I'd go with some sort of e-book reader that isn't back lit.  Easier on the eyes and better for getting ready to sleep than something lit.  I find a phone too small for reading books.  I've done it but it was a pain in the butt because I was always turning pages.  An e-reader will be larger.  And important for me, allows me to increase the font size to make it easier to read without my bifocals.  :)

The backlit Kindle e-readers (not the tablets) are adjustable, and I find better for reading than a paper book with a lamp. YMMV
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 05:59:39 AM »
I have a Samsung tablet. Pretty versatile and not terribly expensive.

I'm very happy with my Samsung Nook tablet.

Previously when I went on a similar trip I used an old tablet. But now that tablet is even slower and can not keep up with modern softwares.

Curious. Can you not download (buy) books on this old tablet so that they are available to read throughout your trip without wifi connection? Even if it is old, once the reading material resides on your tablet it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I'm off on this, would like to hear other's thoughts since I'm not sure how dedicated e-readears work

That's one thing I like about my Samsung Nook. I don't have to have wifi available to read my books. But if wifi is available the tablet can be used for all your internet needs.

AFAIK, you don't need to have a network connection just to read books once you have them downloaded.  With a Kindle, you can even download books via a cable connected to your computer and you don't need wi-fi at all.  (Not sure about the Nook or other devices)

Here's another thought . . . maybe you can borrow an e-reader from your local library. I googled "borrowing ereaders from libraries" found this:

https://www.poudrelibraries.org/borrow/ereaders.php

maybe your library has something like this that would suit your needs.

maksi

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 06:33:56 AM »
My Kobo has wifi, but I've never used it - I download the books I want via my computer (and Calibre app). The battery is really good still after five years, lasts for a few weeks.

It's smart to check if the light can be adjusted. I prefer extremely dark screens at night and couldn't use the device if it was unadjustable.

And yikes, I could never lend my device to a friend! But someone else probably might, and many libraries indeed lend out reading devices, too.

Arrynne

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 08:56:59 AM »
I love my Kindle paperwhite.  The battery lasts a long time, and it's easy on the eyes for reading.  If your laptop has a matte screen, a paperwhite, or a non-backlit e-reader would probably be best.  If your laptop has a shiny screen, and you are used to the glare involved, one of the relatively inexpensive tablet-style e-readers would work (such as a Kindle Fire).

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 09:02:54 AM »
Does anyone know if the newer e-ink Kindles are more sturdy than the older ones?  I managed to break the screen on 2 Kindle Keyboards without much effort on my part :(   For one, it just took a light tap on the side to permanently mess up the screen.  That's why I got the Kindle Fire.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »
Does anyone know if the newer e-ink Kindles are more sturdy than the older ones?  I managed to break the screen on 2 Kindle Keyboards without much effort on my part :(   For one, it just took a light tap on the side to permanently mess up the screen.  That's why I got the Kindle Fire.

I think you were unlucky!  I have had a Kindle keyboard for years - at least 5 - and I can't tell you how many times I've dropped the darn thing and it is still going strong.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »
My Kindle keyboard was retired because the screen cracked. I've not had any issues with the three Kindle Paperwhites we have. All were purchased refurbished.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »
I have an iPad Mini that I use for book reading. I recently took it on a 3-week vacation. Besides reading books, I used it for checking email and the occasional internet surf. It fits nicely into my travel handbag or a small backpack.

I download books for free from the library. (They also have movies & audio books for free). Most libraries use a free app called Overdrive. Once youíve downloaded, no internet connection is needed to read. I can check out 18 books/audiobooks/movies at a time. I downloaded 10 books for my trip, and returned some and added new ones when I got a WiFi connection

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data