News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 24, 2016, 03:54:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1590987 times)

Syfygeek

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #11490 on: July 18, 2016, 09:41:12 AM »
Okay, more of a "what's your experience?" question, but . . .

Babybartfast is turning eight in a few weeks. She still has tantrums on occasion, but she's past the "endanger herself for no apparent reason while playing" stage (which some kids never seem to grow out of). So far I've allowed her to play outside alone when I'm inside and vice versa, but I've never left her at the house for, say, me to take a walk around the block or make a quick trip to the corner store. How soon would y'all expect she'd be old enough for that? How old were your kids when you left them alone for the first time? How young would be "too young" if you heard about a friend-of-a-friend leaving their kids alone for short periods?

(FWIW, I'm not talking about her watching Bittybartfast, who's 4 - just entertaining herself without me in yelling range.)

How in the world can Babybartfast be turning 8? I remember when she was just a baby.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Dindrane

« Reply #11491 on: July 19, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »
Is there any advantage to shopping around for price when it comes to orthodontic work? The one quote I've gotten was for about $4200, which seems excessive to me for a very simple fix that the doc says will take 6-10 months. My sister had a similar orthodontic issue fixed (by a different doc, in a different part of the area where I live) and paid about $3000, but she started hers back in 2010, and I don't know if that's just how much it's gone up in the meantime.

ETA: Another of my sisters had work done about 10-15 years ago by the doc I went to, and she seemed to think that price was normal. She also didn't think there'd be any appreciable difference in price if I went elsewhere.

I finished with my second round of braces about a year ago. Both the first time (about 15 years ago) and this latest time, I had a full mouth of brackets for about a year and a half. I don't know how much my parents paid for the first set, but I paid about $6K for the second set. I also had consultations with two different orthodontists my dentist recommended, and both quoted me about the same price.

One thing that I did realize about braces is that the technology has changed since I had them the first time. My first set had bands around my back molars and wires held on with rubber bands at every bracket. My second set had these really nifty brackets with a built-in mechanism to hold the wire (so no rubber bands except for on the ceramic brackets on my front top teeth), and didn't need bands. The newer style of bracket I think has less friction (because the wire can move freely in a sort of channel created by the bracket, and is only anchored in a few places), so the whole process was faster and less painful than I remembered it being the first time around. It wouldn't surprise me if that newer style of bracket costs a bit more than the older one.

Also, it's really, really important to be happy with your orthodontist. Aside from going to regular appointments throughout (I went every 8 weeks initially, but was going practically every other week by the end so they could fine tune stuff), most orthodontists tell you how much to pay upfront and then you go see them as long as it takes to get a good outcome. Since you're not paying by appointment, and they don't get paid more if it takes longer for your teeth to do whatever they need to do, you want to make sure you find one who is going to give you the same level of attention at the end as at the beginning. Because the fine tuning stuff at the end is really important.

The other thing I personally experienced is that the first orthodontist I went to told me that his gold-standard-of-care recommendation was that I not just get braces, but also have jaw surgery (that was explicitly not covered by my insurance and would be both massively invasive and massively expensive). I do have a condition that can't be fixed without that surgery, as it happens, but it's one that basically has no impact on my life except in how I look. Since the second orthodontist told me he thought I would have a good outcome (both in terms of dental health and aesthetics) with just braces, and the first orthodontist freaked me the heck out by dropping the surgery bombshell right off the bat, I went with the second one. And in hindsight, I'm very glad I did. I am completely happy with my end result, and I don't think I would have trusted the first orthodontist to oversee my care.

So do shop around, both to compare prices and to compare what they're telling you that you will need to do. Aside from the recommendation for surgery from the one orthodontist, both of them identified the same dental health issues, planned on addressing them about the same way, and quoted me about the same price. It's a lot of money to spend and a relatively long process, so you want to be sure that what you're doing will fix whatever the issue is in the best way possible.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #11492 on: July 21, 2016, 02:39:08 PM »
Male co-worker has somehow committed to wearing a Speedo swimsuit while on vacation in Europe. He's asking if he should "manscape" i.e. take care of that bikini area. No one is our office can provide guidance... though we are really enjoying the discussion today. Any knowledge on this topic in eHell land?

Eww. Although the thought of someone I work with asking that just creeps me out. But as someone else pointed out, Speedos aren't limited to the very small, just covers the manly bits, so unless he must wear one of those, I say he goes with a regular fuller coverage suit.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #11493 on: July 22, 2016, 04:48:34 PM »
On two separate parenting boards, I've seen the acronym "FTM" and I have no idea what it means. A quick google search says "female to male" but in both these cases, they were about post childbirth issues, so I'm thinking that's not the FTM I'm looking for. Now I'm curious, any ideas?

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #11494 on: July 22, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »
On two separate parenting boards, I've seen the acronym "FTM" and I have no idea what it means. A quick google search says "female to male" but in both these cases, they were about post childbirth issues, so I'm thinking that's not the FTM I'm looking for. Now I'm curious, any ideas?

First time mother?
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

mumma to KMC

« Reply #11495 on: July 22, 2016, 08:44:38 PM »

First time mother?

Yep, that's most likely what it is :)

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #11496 on: July 22, 2016, 09:42:20 PM »

First time mother?

Yep, that's most likely what it is :)

Glad I could help. :)
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

parrot_girl

« Reply #11497 on: Yesterday at 08:27:37 PM »
This is a really stupid question:
What is a Warrant Officer in the US Navy?