News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 26, 2017, 07:58:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: April the Giraffe is expecting a calf!  (Read 2742 times)

shabby

Re: April the Giraffe is expecting a calf!
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 02:42:15 AM »
April gave the vet a bit of a front kick. Poor vet is going to have to start wearing shin guards.

jpcher

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 04:29:03 PM »
Okay. I've been checking this site most every day since OP posted . . . April seems like she's sleeping every time I look in.

Is that the poppa in the back cage? He's very active today . . . why don't they let them be in the same cage together? Why is the cage so small . . . so very unlike what they would have in natural habitat?

Because her mate would hurt her,  as the dad's take no part in rearing their young.

I did not know this . . . I'll have to do some Giraffe research! ;D

She's very active right now. Pacing around the pen, rubbing her head/neck against the wall, stomping her feet, putting her head to her belly and I know I saw the belly move! . . . oh, yeah, I just went back to the video and the belly is quite active.

o_gal

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 06:17:55 AM »
She's back to being calm and collected - walking around but nothing much different than other times that I've checked in. The zoo apparently thinks it is close, maybe within this next week.

At least we have this to look forward to, after the awful tragedy at the zoo outside of Paris (rhino poached for its horn.)

jpcher

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 04:01:39 PM »
Is it just me? I get a screen with "This live stream recording is not available."

Keeping us watching, in suspense, and then they cancel it when it gets exciting? That just isn't right.

TracyXJ

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 04:28:12 PM »
I don't have the link to it, but this keeps popping up on my Facebook: 
A woman is 39 weeks pregnant and ordered a rubber giraffe mask.  She went live on Facebook with the camera set up in the corner of the bedroom (similar to the location of the giraffe's camera) and she's pacing around while wearing the mask.  She stares at the camera sometimes and is just acting similar to the giraffe. 

Not sure if it is OK for me to post her name or not.

MagicEyes

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 05:02:11 PM »
Is it just me? I get a screen with "This live stream recording is not available."

Keeping us watching, in suspense, and then they cancel it when it gets exciting? That just isn't right.
Try this link--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyQfWCX-bAg
  I don't know why the link keeps changing.

jpcher

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 05:37:33 PM »
THANK YOU! ;D

Momma's eating right now.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
I just checked, and she was just standing there.  The video was being watched by 91,000+ people when I checked. 

I saw a short of April kicking the vet.  When he was checking her out she was twisting around to see what he was doing, and I don't think she kicked him on purpose, but can you imagine explaining that to the Emergency Room staff?  "I was examining a pregnant giraffe and she kicked me.  That's how my tibia was fractured." 

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 04:15:58 PM »
I just checked, and she was just standing there.  The video was being watched by 91,000+ people when I checked. 

I saw a short of April kicking the vet.  When he was checking her out she was twisting around to see what he was doing, and I don't think she kicked him on purpose, but can you imagine explaining that to the Emergency Room staff?  "I was examining a pregnant giraffe and she kicked me.  That's how my tibia was fractured."

At least the vet would be providing the staff with their daily dose of surreal. That is important for well balanced mental health.

shabby

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »
I still check in on the feed and I think it will be within the next 24 hours. This evening there was a noticeable difference that even I could see on the camera feed.

jpcher

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 04:55:55 PM »
I was looking for the new link, clicked on the top video on the list and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWdwizXKm4

Interesting! Q&A from e-mails that they've received along with a lot of background info.

I thought it very sad that once baby is weaned it will be relocated!

They stated that they could have misjudged the delivery date so it still may be a few weeks out.

Anyway, Thanks Bobbie for posting this thread . . . I'm still watiching! ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:58:01 PM by jpcher »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 11:36:26 PM »
I was looking for the new link, clicked on the top video on the list and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWdwizXKm4

Interesting! Q&A from e-mails that they've received along with a lot of background info.

I thought it very sad that once baby is weaned it will be relocated!

They stated that they could have misjudged the delivery date so it still may be a few weeks out.

Anyway, Thanks Bobbie for posting this thread . . . I'm still watiching! ;D

Not really sad. No matter the baby's gender, one of the baby's parents might try to mate with it! It is safest for baby (and the breeding program) for baby o go to another zoo. But thats not for six months or so after its born, when it will wean itself.

jpcher

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 05:23:37 PM »
I still keep checking this thread . . . don't want the blessed event to happen without me watching live!

Of course it will probably happen at 2am . . . but then there will be reruns to watch. ;)

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 06:41:54 PM »
No blessed event yet.  I just checked, and she and Oliver were standing head to head.  Maybe they're planning their next one.

o_gal

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 06:26:41 AM »
No blessed event yet.  I just checked, and she and Oliver were standing head to head.  Maybe they're planning their next one.

Or they are having a variant of this conversation:

April [after a contraction]: I want morphine!
Oliver: But dear...
Oliver: (imitates Lamaze breathing)
April: You shut up! You did this to me!

And on the next contraction, she lets all the vets in the delivery room know that they were never married.