News:

• February 20, 2018, 07:53:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Job Hunting and Hiring Hell - Share your stories  (Read 30043 times)

goldilocks

Re: Job Hunting and Hiring Hell - Share your stories
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »
Happened about 15 years ago to a former co-worker.

We had a boss named Bob.  Bob worked for our company for 6 months before being fired.   Nothing dramatic, he just made a few poor decisions and got on the wrong side of EVP. 

A few months after Bob was fired, my CW went on a job interview.  The hiring manager looked at her resume and said, you work for Company X?   CW said yes, and hiring manager instantly starting raging that Company X was awful, they fired his friend Bob, the most wonderful person on earth, and how was Bob going to support his family, and on and on.  CW kept trying to bring  the interview back around to the open position, but failed.

lilfox

« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2018, 11:32:19 AM »
Still in job hunting hell.   :-\  My own personal version:  I can't relocate so I'm having to search a very restricted geographic area for a very niche specialty line of work.  There are lots of jobs that I'd be perfect for, but they're across the country.

And unfortunately, the local companies who want to hire for jobs I could do add deal-breaking requirements for skills I don't have, because they were never part of the work in the past or at my most recent company.  Along the lines of "we want someone with a PhD who can manage a lab full of researchers but is also a full-time programmer/web developer" when those have traditionally been two separate full-time roles.  And apparently they're either finding them or willing to wait.

dinvancouver

« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »
Lilfox,
Can I offer a consoling drink?

I was layed (spelling?) off Jan 2009. Went back to school for retraining Sept 2010, graduated June 2012 and finally got a career job Jan 2015. Finally got to a decent company March 2017.

And no, Iím NOT a teacher.  ;D. Spelling is not critical.

Frog24

« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
Yes, I love those job postings, Lilfox....

"We want a technical writer with minimum 10 years experience who also has their computer science degree and can write code." Um.... if I had my comp sci degree, I'd be working (and getting paid) as a programmer, rather than a writer.  :-\

gmatoy

« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2018, 09:23:44 PM »
Lilfox,
Can I offer a consoling drink?

I was layed (spelling?) off Jan 2009. Went back to school for retraining Sept 2010, graduated June 2012 and finally got a career job Jan 2015. Finally got to a decent company March 2017.

And no, Iím NOT a teacher.  ;D. Spelling is not critical.

"laid" and I am a teacher. ;)

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2018, 11:41:54 PM »
A few months after Bob was fired, my CW went on a job interview.  The hiring manager looked at her resume and said, you work for Company X?   CW said yes, and hiring manager instantly starting raging that Company X was awful, they fired his friend Bob, the most wonderful person on earth, and how was Bob going to support his family, and on and on.  CW kept trying to bring  the interview back around to the open position, but failed.
The only real answer there is something along the lines of "Then I don't need to tell you why I am looking for another role..."

My current annoyance is from the other side. A junior co-worker left their placement to go back to school. Now, thanks to the CV harvesters, we keep getting phonecalls from agencies saying that they know we have a vacancy to replace distinctive-job-title-that-only-that-person-had...No we don't. Stop calling us.

theNotSoDivineMissM

« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2018, 05:07:46 AM »
One time, I applied for a job as a translator within a certain language combination and specialization that the hiring company, an IT company, needed to deliver a huge project they'd won an EU tender on.

The phone interview went wonderfully, project manager and I believe that my profile and all my extra-curricular qualifications are a great complement to the team, so we move on to the next round. A 4 hr proctored test, where the first half is a test wherein I am supposed to learn a fictitious programming language and solve problems within that language. Because, somehow, programming languages have rules of grammar like real languages, and my ability to use numbers and math integers are a direct reflection of how well I can translate between the two languages I have an MA in. I have number dyslexia. Guess how well that went? I write an appeal to the HR people, the project manager writes an appeal to the HR people, but no dice. The test is king.

Two years later, and I can safely say "dodged that bullet". The gigantic IT project is widely unpopular, the company is under fire, and of the many problems being discussed in the media, translations are a cited in the criticism.

Octavia

« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2018, 05:15:23 PM »
I'm seeing and hearing about two disturbing trends that are hopefully going to reverse soon -
1) An increase in incivility in the workplace, starting with disrespectful behavior by recruiters and the people doing the hiring. And then coworkers sniping at each other all day because they are stressed out and cannot cope.
2) Companies misrepresenting themselves - a.k.a., telling job candidates that everyone is really friendly and the company is going great when it's really the opposite.

I got hired into situation #2 and wish there was a way to figure out what's really going on behind closed doors before accepting the job offer. So sick of the lies.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2018, 11:47:34 PM »
It's not a guarantee, but checking the reviews on glassdoor.com helps.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture