News:

• April 20, 2018, 03:47:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Co-workers say the silliest things  (Read 2501 times)

Writer of Wrongs

• Mysteries, Thrillers & Whodunits, Oh My!
Re: Co-workers say the silliest things
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
Speaking of co-workers and plants: I worked with a 60-something woman from Cuba who had a very thick accent. This was the early 1980s, and someone had told her that talking to plants was good for them. It was kind of a pseudoscientific fad at the time -- allegedly it was giving them an extra helping of carbon dioxide from our breath.

She reported that she'd tried it on her houseplants but wasn't sure they appreciated it. Instead, she imagined them saying, when they saw her coming, "Oh, no, here comes old Jackety-Jack!"

Re such plant-interaction; and GardenGal's colleague "who was a little strange. She had a plant in her office and mentioned to me that she could only have one plant, 'because they get jealous'. And she was serious."  I'm put in mind of our Prince Charles in the UK, whom many of us consider a bit strange -- among other things, he reputedly talks to his plants -- and not, I would surmise, for "straight science" reasons such as extra carbon dioxide.  I can quite see him buying into the scenario of plants being jealous of each other.

Didn't Mythbusters do an episode on that? They had something like 5 greenhouses full of little pea plants - one got recordings of sweet-talking, the another got recordings of verbal abuse, one got classical music, one got death metal, and one got blissful silence. I'll have to look that up now, I want to say the peas liked the death metal, but I could be wrong.

Yesterday I was reading an article about how to propagate a particular tree. The tree doesn't bloom until it reaches maturity, and the article said you could force maturity by "abusing" it, cutting the roots or initiating drought conditions. I immediately had the mental image of someone beating a tree trunk with a whip made of barbed wire and chains, shouting vile epithets at it.  ::) ;D
Some day, I hope to get paid to kill people. Now, I just do it for fun.

gramma dishes

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »

Yesterday I was reading an article about how to propagate a particular tree. The tree doesn't bloom until it reaches maturity, and the article said you could force maturity by "abusing" it, cutting the roots or initiating drought conditions. I immediately had the mental image of someone beating a tree trunk with a whip made of barbed wire and chains, shouting vile epithets at it.  ::) ;D

But if you do those things to it, it will hate you and do you really want a tree that hates you?   :-\

GardenGal

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 04:30:54 PM »
Some succulents change color when stressed by very dry conditions, and it is a fine line between getting that beautiful red or violet foliage and actually killing your plant with drought.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Aleko

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 01:13:52 AM »
do you really want a tree that hates you?

Ever since I read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets I've suspected that a Whomping Willow is really just an ordinary magical willow made aggressive by its environment, and that you can create one by planting a magical willow as a sapling and being consistently nasty to it as it grows; much as you can make a cute puppy into a snarling vicious guard dog by keeping it chained up and abusing it.

Nuku

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »
do you really want a tree that hates you?

Ever since I read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets I've suspected that a Whomping Willow is really just an ordinary magical willow made aggressive by its environment, and that you can create one by planting a magical willow as a sapling and being consistently nasty to it as it grows; much as you can make a cute puppy into a snarling vicious guard dog by keeping it chained up and abusing it.

I saw Day of the Triffids at a very impressionable age, and I firmly believe one should be nice to plants.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 09:46:33 PM »
This is one I love to tell. This was actually from the nursing home my mother worked at. They had a lovely fishtank, and one of her coworkers went to clean out the fish tank. It... somehow lead to all of the fish dying. I forget how... but they were ex-fish.

This led to the following conversation:

Fishtank cleaning coworker: *freaking out that she killed the fish*
Other Coworker: *just as my mom comes into the room* Fish murderer!

My mom, OC, and FCC burst into hysterical laughter at this, and it was a few moments before they composed themselves enough to get back to work.

For weeks after, fish murderer was said a *lot* amongst the staff at random moments.  ;D

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 07:15:06 AM »
Years ago I worked with a woman who was possibly the stupidest woman I’ve ever met. A colleague went on a work trip to New Orleans. We were all jealous, but Stupid Lady declared that N.O. was a terrible place “Because her sister went there once and the profiteroles were awful.” so the entire city was dead to her. She was serious.

I think I may have worked with a cousin of your stupid co-worker.

This woman tried to be an expert on everything. There were 4 of us in the lounge one day, including her. I don't remember what we were talking about, but somehow the conversation lead to the computer and the internet. She says, there are several different kinds of internet. We looked at her strangely, and the 2 guys, who were more computer savvy asked her what she was talking about, that there is only one internet. No, she said, there are all kinds of internets, and she started listing internet providers. She was told those are internet providers and that there was only one internet. She was adamant there was more than one internet. We all just stopped talking to her for fear of getting dumber while listening to her.

Barney girl

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 02:51:45 PM »
She may have had some half remembered information about how the internet and world wide web are not the same ie the latter is part of the former