Author Topic: S/O Names - Coincidences  (Read 3525 times)

Morty'sCleaningLady

Re: S/O Names - Coincidences
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2014, 11:06:59 AM »
I worked with a Tom Jones, too.  Lots of us seemed to -- It's Not Unusual!

I've also fired J Lo.  No, not the singer/actress.  A different one.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

jmarvellous

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2014, 11:14:40 AM »
I worked with a Tom Jones, too.

I worked with a Carrie, Kerry and Kari -- they were also the only full-time employees, and there were maybe 4 part-timers.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2014, 11:19:32 AM »
Where I used to work, there were 4 of us in our team.  All our names started with 'M'.  A 5th guy got hired and his name didn't.  I told him, with a completely straight face, that he'd have to change his name to Matt to fit in.

He thought I was serious until I started laughing.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »
I remember a small department with five people.  The women were named Mary, Maria and Marietta.  The men were named Ron and Rod.  You can imagine the confusion that caused. 

Mergatroyd

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
Both of my grandmothers are named Jean. My grandfathers were Ronald and Rolland.

lilfox

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
I live two doors down from a couple named Dennis and Denise.

On the other side of the country, my parents (up til last year) lived two doors down from a couple named Dennis and Denise.

(And in the category of personal mysteries, though "my" Dennis is often out chatting with various neighbors, in 7 years I have never met "my" Denise, only seen her in brief glimpses so I know she exists)

Allyson

« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2014, 01:04:40 PM »
I didn't think of this coincidence earlier, but it's definitely awkward for them at times. My brother is dating somebody with the same last name as he and I. This leads people to think they're actually married, even though they are  nowhere near that stage yet! I suppose if they do get married I can say "He took her name, she took his name, and they both kept their own names" just to confuse people. ;)

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
I didn't think of this coincidence earlier, but it's definitely awkward for them at times. My brother is dating somebody with the same last name as he and I. This leads people to think they're actually married, even though they are  nowhere near that stage yet! I suppose if they do get married I can say "He took her name, she took his name, and they both kept their own names" just to confuse people. ;)

I have a super duper common surname for my ethnic heritage.  I met a guy on line and we were getting ready to meet for the first time.  He was a police officer and kept his name and profession quiet for the first few on-line conversations.  When I heard his name, I was pretty surprised.  My Dad's Dad was from a massive family and I had to pull out the family tree to make sure I wasn't going to go out with a cousin!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Margo

« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2014, 03:04:54 PM »
I believe someone in Iceland has developed an App specifically so you can check that you are not related to your date, as the population is small, and lots of people*are* related...

ClaireC79

« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2014, 03:21:56 PM »
  My Dad's Dad was from a massive family and I had to pull out the family tree to make sure I wasn't going to go out with a cousin!

My grandparents both had the same surname, apparently when they married they had to prove they weren't related back to grandparent level - may have been because their mother's had the same name though.

My nan said when she went back to work after getting married they asked her what her name now was (same obviously) and then accused her of not getting married and fraudently taking marriage leave - had to take in her marriage certificate to prove she had actually got married

Cyradis

« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »
I went to high school with a girl named Janine.  Both her parents had been married before and each had a son and daughter from the earlier marriage named Michael and Michelle.

poundcake

« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2014, 05:05:03 PM »
My grandmother was one of nine, and all of her sisters married men named "Bob." All of them also had sons named "Bob." The next generation had several Robbies and Robs. We used to joke that at family reunions, all you'd have to do was go into the room and call "Uncle Bob?" to get most of the men's attention. At one point, I could count over twenty varieties of "Robert" in three generations. One Uncle Bobby even married a woman named Bobbie.

I also attended a small school for a while where we had four different "Meyers" on faculty, a Mr., two Mrs., and a Miss. Two were related by marriage (a Mrs. and a Miss, I think), but just a lot of unrelated Meyers.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2014, 05:52:39 PM »
I believe someone in Iceland has developed an App specifically so you can check that you are not related to your date, as the population is small, and lots of people*are* related...
Given that they don't have inherited surnames (which make things like that easier,) but instead follow the old Norse custom of patronymics, that makes a lot of sense. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

judecat

« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2014, 06:18:30 PM »
My parents adopted two girls,  JudyAnn and JoAnn.  We were both named long before we were adopted. My father's name was John,  my mother's name was Ann 
Also I have a brother named Jack (John) and a step brother named Jack (John).   Both Jacks have son's named John,  and one has a daughter named Jackie.   Joann's first husband was John,  My first husband was John,  my neice (brother Jack's daughter) married a John,  and my grandfather's only other grand daughter also married a John.

My mother's second husband was Charles,  my second husband was Charles.   My sister's second husband was Charles.