Author Topic: Announcing baby names before they're born?  (Read 575 times)

AvidReader

Re: Announcing baby names before they're born?
« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:58:22 AM »
My experience was nearly 30 years ago, when knowing the sex prior to the birth was much less routine than today.  DH and I found out, but I swore him to secrecy.  My boundary-trashing-not-so-DM (some years later earning for herself the CD) was all over it to everyone, taking umbrage, and demanding that she had a "right" to know.   Everyone else was mellow about it, maybe it was just by comparison. 

A young expectant couple, friends of our DS, say that they don't know and don't want to know and want the happy surpise.  Maybe, maybe not...that's their line and it's their business and who am I to press?   We're all in the Mid-Atlantic.  Another young couple, also DS's friends (interestingly from the American Midwest), knew the gender and revealed the baby's name to one and all in advance.   

jmarvellous

« Reply #16 on: Today at 12:00:12 PM »
I am of the age (late 20s) when probably half of my high school classmates are having babies either this year or in the past 3/next 3 years.

Names I recall off the top of my head:
Jubilee (girl), Neill (boy), Charlie (boy), Jackson (boy), Maddox (boy, not yet born), Caprice (girl), Gabriela (girl), Oscar (boy), Clayton (boy), Eliza (girl), one unnamed girl about 6 months along, one unnamed girl about 5 months along.

I knew maybe 3 or 4 of those names in advance, and about about 75% of them did some kind of 'cute' sex-reveal thing (many of them had parties, none of which I have been invited to).

TeamBhakta

« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:56:23 PM »
It's growing more common here in the Midwestern US.  I often know that John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt is around seven pounds and is scheduled to be born on Tuesday the 11th.

It's kind of anticlimatic when people announce all that stuff before the baby ever arrives. Like what do I "ooh" and "yay" about when the kid arrives, since I already said five months ago "How nice you picked Timmy, after your favorite uncle. Yes, I'd love to see the wooden letters spelling his name in the nursery and the custom baseball onesie with Timmy #01."

Plus what if the baby doesn't match the name the parents announced before the birth ? Then you've got this potentially awkward situation of "Okay, they had Sunshine picked out for 9 months but switched to Meadow after the birth. And I really wanted to use Sunshine for my kid, before they ever brought up Sunshine. Is it off limits now, or are they keeping dibs on Sunshine for the next baby ?"

Tea Drinker

« Reply #18 on: Today at 04:45:39 PM »
Several friends of mine have picked out temporary/nicknames to use until birth: say, referring to "the Pod" until the baby is born, and then telling us her actual name and using it thereafter. I don't know whether they told anyone the actual name ahead of time, or even whether they'd all picked a permanent name before they saw their children.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

menley

« Reply #19 on: Today at 04:54:34 PM »
I think it also depends on what's meant by 'announcing'..I know a lot of people who have told family and close friends, but nobody who's, say, put it up on Facebook. :D

For the vast majority of these, it's an actual announcement on Facebook. Generally a status update by the wife, with the husband tagged, saying something like "We're excited to announce that our baby girl, Buffy Anne Summers, is expected to arrive October 21, 2014!"

In some extreme cases, friends on Facebook have announced *everything*. One particular friend, who since has been hidden... started with a picture of the peed-on stick at 5 weeks along and posted every milestone since. Gender reveal party, including an ultrasound picture posted to Facebook with the relevant anatomy circled in red, name announcement, weekly size and measurement updates. For those who read my post in the poopy diaper thread, you will not be surprised to learn that this is one of the friends constantly posting pictures of blowouts  ::)

I would say 90% of my American friends have announced the gender and first and middle names of the baby halfway through the pregnancy, on Facebook and through e-mails (of course the close friends called, texted or Skyped, but they also posted to social media). But all of my European friends have abstained from posting anything on Facebook whatsoever, with the exception of an announcement of the baby's birth. It's an interesting dichotomy.

CakeEater

« Reply #20 on: Today at 05:10:01 PM »
Several friends of mine have picked out temporary/nicknames to use until birth: say, referring to "the Pod" until the baby is born, and then telling us her actual name and using it thereafter. I don't know whether they told anyone the actual name ahead of time, or even whether they'd all picked a permanent name before they saw their children.

We called DD, 'Sean the prawn', because embryos look like prawns, and sean rhymes. My MIL was a bit stressed that everyone would call the child Sean the prawn through to adulthood, but it was fine.

We had a name picked out pretty early, and I'm glad we didn't share it, because  we changed our minds pretty late.