News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 24, 2017, 08:04:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the word for this style of art?  (Read 512 times)

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
What is the word for this style of art?
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:24:49 AM »
I wasn't sure if this was too general for the craft board.

I'm interested in commercial art from the 1920's, and discovered quite a lot of lovely images and color schemes that were done as pochoir prints in French fashion magazines.

Now, I'm trying to find images in a similar style to this vintage postcard: https://muscleheaded.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/capemay.jpg?w=474

But I don't know what to call it to narrow the eleventy zillion hits for "vintage postcard".

Image searches are getting me matches on content (mermaids, beaches, travel, New Jersey), which is not what I want.

It's probably a long shot to id the artist, but is there a term for this style of drawing/printmaking?

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
Re: What is the word for this style of art?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »
I'd probably call that art-deco - that would be the period for art, at least (1920s/30s)

Twik

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »
Art deco was a dominant style in the 20s, and was often used for commercial art such as postcards and posters. So that should bring you some hits.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

EllenS

• My Author Page:
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »
Yes, thanks. I should have included Art Deco in my original post, I was taking it for granted. I'm hoping to narrow it a bit further.

caroled

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »
This is very similar to other works by an Italian artist who painted thru the art deco period, named Carlo Chiostri...have  a look at his works, there are a number of mermaid pieces.

gramma dishes

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 11:44:57 AM »

EllenS

• My Author Page:
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
This is very similar to other works by an Italian artist who painted thru the art deco period, named Carlo Chiostri...have  a look at his works, there are a number of mermaid pieces.

Ohmigosh, thanks! What a jackpot of lovely things.

I knew Ehellions would know.

Look, so pretty: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ca/dc/3f/cadc3f0ae911a5e96164470def213d73.jpg

Chez Miriam

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »
Not quite the same, but [British] 1920's railway posters feature very stylised images; very much of the time [not all Art Deco], and the people tend to be gorgeous.

I just did a google image search, and got sucked into a world of perfect summer days with glamorous people heading to glamorous destinations...

By train, of course! ;)

Probably not quite what you're looking for, but I thought it might be worth suggesting. ???
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

EllenS

• My Author Page:
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 01:06:47 PM »
Not quite the same, but [British] 1920's railway posters feature very stylised images; very much of the time [not all Art Deco], and the people tend to be gorgeous.

I just did a google image search, and got sucked into a world of perfect summer days with glamorous people heading to glamorous destinations...

By train, of course! ;)

Probably not quite what you're looking for, but I thought it might be worth suggesting. ???

Oh, those sound lovely too! Down the rabbit hole...

Chez Miriam

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:16:35 PM »
Oh, they are, and what a lovely set of rabbit holes eHellions have opened up today. :)  [I, too had never heard of Carlo Chiostri.]
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:39:47 PM »
I found some good ones that are in that style by searching "Vintage Travel Posters" or "Vintage Travel Postcards."  You can add a country/city to narrow it down some. 
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.