News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 23, 2017, 05:28:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 894397 times)

Hillia

Sooooooooo, what is the Presidential Alert for? :-[

(I don't have a smart phone.)

[insert your favorite TV show] updates?

I think the App was "born" after the World Trade Center attack.

Is this the same as the Emergency Broadcast system that goes out over tv and radio?

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Sooooooooo, what is the Presidential Alert for? :-[

(I don't have a smart phone.)

[insert your favorite TV show] updates?

I think the App was "born" after the World Trade Center attack.

Is this the same as the Emergency Broadcast system that goes out over tv and radio?

Same idea, different mechanism and origin.

jpcher

^ That's all good to know!

Thanks! ;D

I guess that if the world is going to end in 20 minutes I need to be close by someone with a smart phone otherwise I'd never know what's about to hit me! ;)

GreenHall

Thanks! ;D

I guess that if the world is going to end in 20 minutes I need to be close by someone with a smart phone otherwise I'd never know what's about to hit me! ;)
Well, apparently my mom's slide phone (upgraded from flip last time she killed one) got the emergency broadcast beeps this morning when the tornado watch was issued.  (well, the second one, that happened after she turned her phone on for the day...)

JoW

Thanks! ;D

There are lots of services that will send a text message to a cell phone when the weather is threatening.  Those same services send out Amber Alerts (missing child alerts), and I suspect any other alert.  To find one visit the weather page on the web site for your local TV stations.  If you can't find one PM me.  I have a couple that serve the whole US.

redcat

The definition of "kosher".   The question was from a random stranger in the grocery store.  We were both buying spices, she had a bottle in her hand and asked "What does kozher mean?"  I looked at the bottle, said "Oh, kosher.  Legal under Jewish dietary laws."  I don't know what she selected.

To be fair, a lot of people who aren't Jewish and haven't lived in areas with much of a Jewish population wouldn't necessarily know what that means, either - may have heard the term, perhaps, but not be able to define it. I'm not sure I could tell you exactly what *does* go into making something kosher (or kosher for Passover specifically) - I know it has to do with ingredients and with a rabbi inspecting the facility, but I couldn't tell you the nuances of what that involved.

My only knowledge of the word was as kosher salt until I was in my 20s.

In the UK, especially in London (where the largest Jewish population is), kosher often gets used to mean legal or legitimate, in proper order.  There was an episode of The Apprentice UK where one of the candidates was asked to find a kosher chicken, and had only heard of the word in that context.  I don't know what on earth she thought a legal chicken looked like!