News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 29, 2015, 08:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1640373 times)

eltf177

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #7485 on: March 21, 2015, 06:14:59 AM »
So not only did Employee X get the boot for thieving, as a result the bosses pulled way back on the free food to prevent anyone else getting similar ideas, so there were a lot of people in that organisation who were not at all pleased about it and definitely not at all fond of Ex-employee X.

That's great, the innocent are now paying for Employee X's misdeeds. It would have been so much better just to let X's example show what happens when you abuse privileges, I really don't see this happening again.

I don't see X getting _any_ sort of good reference from anyone at your company...

In hindsight, I do realize it probably not the most polite or appropriate thing for us to have done, but it worked. 

Unsurprisingly, she lost her job several months later for unrelated issues.

You and your co-workers did what needed to be done to avoid losing a perk due to one person's inability to follow the rules. I see nothing wrong with that. Although management needed to confront the one worker instead of trying to punish everyone, that is just not good leadership...

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #7486 on: March 22, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »
Not necessarily PD since I don't think they made any money off of it (and tried to blather their way out of it by saying they were just showing art they liked and not selling anything), but there was the time when DeviantArt nearly went into a meltdown when someone found a Facebook page that had dozens and dozens of DeviantArt pieces posted without the artists' permission. Including one of my mine. Oh, and they had photoshopped my signature off. IIRC, the Facebook page went down within hours of discovery.

DeviantArt is really touchy about art theft, especially when it's that ridiculously blatant and shameless.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:54:05 PM by Miss Misery »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7487 on: March 22, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »
My DH is a locksmith. He is the senior locksmith and manager for his small company. They hired a locksmith N, who worked out well. Very few complaints, did his job, things were going well. N worked for them for 2 years. December 31st, N parked his company vehicle across the owner's driveway with the keys locked in it, and some of the company property left in it. No word. No note. No notice.

Owner calls N, no answer. Owner sends a certified letter to N with his final paycheck, tax paperwork for 2014 and looks to hire a replacement.

Owner eventually sees N working at a hardware store in their small town.

Turns out that N had been looking to change to a competitor and had set up everything to start working at competitor January 2nd. N cleared everything except for his driving record. Competitor wouldn't hire him, because N had accidents on his record in his personal vehicle. N had already quit his job when he found this out.

Darcy

« Reply #7488 on: March 22, 2015, 11:48:31 PM »
BG:The company I work will fund 0% interest financial loans to us. The requirements are to be full time and employed with us for a minimum of one year.  The loan amount must be less than 70% of your gross income from a 2-week pay cycle. Paid back by auto-deductions from your paycheck over the next 12 pay cycles. Once the loan is approved, you can receive it either physical check mailed to your address or deposited into your bank account. End BG

Coworker submitted a loan and asked for the check to be mailed. A month later she informs Accounting the loan was never received. After researching it was discovered that the check was mailed but the carrier had it labeled "out for delivery." This was 3 weeks after the scheduled delivery date.

The carrier began researching the lost package. A new check was issued to CW with clear instructions that if the previously issued check is delivered, she is bring it to Accounting.

New check is delivered and funded. About two weeks later we receive an update from the carrier. The package was located and delivered to CW address.

Accounting manager emails CW about this. No response. Accounting manager comes downstairs to CW cubical. CW claims she has to check her mail but does not believe she's seen it. Accounting then discovers the check was deposited by CW. Situation is escalated to HR.

After negotiations and pleading from her Big Boss, HR decides to let the CW pay back the first check from her next paycheck. Then receive a final warning write up with 90 day probation. The second check will be paid back by payroll deductions.

I still can not believe CW attempted to keep both checks :o

This is kind of a failure on HR's part as well.  Before they even issued the second check, they should have placed a stop-payment on the first check so if someone did try to cash it, it would be rejected.

Theoretically. My company works with banks, and we asked for a stop on a check we issued and received confirmation, and then wrote a new check. The person managed to cash both, and now won't give the funds back.  ::)

LadyDyani

« Reply #7489 on: March 23, 2015, 08:28:11 AM »
Not necessarily PD since I don't think they made any money off of it (and tried to blather their way out of it by saying they were just showing art they liked and not selling anything), but there was the time when DeviantArt nearly went into a meltdown when someone found a Facebook page that had dozens and dozens of DeviantArt pieces posted without the artists' permission. Including one of my mine. Oh, and they had photoshopped my signature off. IIRC, the Facebook page went down within hours of discovery.

DeviantArt is really touchy about art theft, especially when it's that ridiculously blatant and shameless.

Do you follow the Stop Stealing Photos blog?

http://stopstealingphotos.com/

They find photo theft confront the thieves.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Chipmunky

« Reply #7490 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:17 AM »
Awesome Colleague got promoted!!! She's now in charge of all attorneys, including The Queen (though I don't think the Queen recognizes this). Happy Dance!

Had to chuckle though- promotion went into effect last Friday, when AC was on vacation. AC was also on leave yesterday. Boss Lady is out of office at a conference. Why, then, whooo should be in charge? After all, everyone else is a 3 year old pyromaniac with a box of matches.  ::) The Queen of course! She circulated the announcement about AC's promotion, and followed up with "since AC is out on Monday, direct all of your supervisory questions/needs/issues to meee"  ::)  ::) (note, Queen works a 10 hour/4 day work week, Monday's being off, and AC was completely accessible by phone and email if something blew up at the office...plus she lives about 45 minutes closer). What's funnier is the Queen did not come into the office, oh no, she "supervised" remotely by phone and email. Lots of eye rolling over the power trip.

Thankfully, none of us needed to contact her for anything, though she did call Awesome Paralegal yesterday morning to remind her that the Queen was in charge, end all be all.

On another note, the Princess, (the one with no credentialing or anything yet got a raise from out of touch Uber Boss) is apparently to help our sister division with electronic records as they pertain to criminal cases. She has no criminal investigative training. at. all.  She had connected to me on a professional networking site some years ago. I nearly spit my water everywhere seeing her public posting asking for help finding resources on electronic discovery in criminal cases for all to see. At least she's trying to teach herself as a novice what she's supposed to be expert in, right?  :-\ 

I emailed her politely this morning saying I saw her post and gave her some book recommendations, as the law school in the area has a course this term on the exact information she needs to know cold. Response was a thank you and "that was extremely thoughtful of you." Knowing her, the "extremely" part is a bit passive aggressive on her part, but not worth my time.

Awesome Colleague and I go to conference tomorrow, joined by Boss Lady, it will be interesting to see what feedback I hear from Boss Lady!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7491 on: March 24, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »
What an update! Keep us informed after the conference.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7492 on: March 24, 2015, 10:08:38 PM »
Well, it seemed for a while like Larry knew what to do - I had a couple of near - "Come to Diety" talks with him, the summation of which were, "Look, Larry. You need to worry about yourself and your side; let me worry about what's over here."

Moreover, Michael (Closing Manager) has stiffened his spine dealing with Larry, but dealt with him gently, since Larry's not used to a hard line. E.g: Larry's not allowed to have a walkie anymore, because he abuses it and annoys everyone with "Auditorium 1's out," "Is 2 clean yet?" and so on. I know to wield the "weapon" wisely, so I get to have a walkie. Larry practically ran over to Michael and wanted to know when he was going to get his walkie. Michael said, "Larry, Violinp has the bigger side, and she can't see the ushers all the time, so she needs the walkie. You only have three auditoriums, and the ushers should tell you when they clean your auditoriums." It put the onus where it actually is - the ushers - but also gave a plausible explanation so he wouldn't get upset.

Well. Things have somehow gotten worse, even with a checklist for both of us to sign. He just signs what I sign, regardless of what he's actually done (I knew for a fact that he hasn't done certain things, because I had to do the things when I came back from break). He's back to failing to check ID's, which is...fun. And then there was the fact that he was ill last Friday, and his replacement had been employed at the theater less than a week and still did better than Larry, after five minutes of briefing on the job by an usher and yours truly (He's also quieter and a harder worker, but I digress).

To top it all off, on Sunday, he asked that I ask Gemma (normally Opening Manager, but was closing that night) to let us off. ...Leaving aside the fact that I don't make demands on my managers like that, the set wasn't even over. I was literally still tearing tickets for two auditoriums whose shows hadn't even begun to start. Without thinking, I said in an almost - snappish manner, "Larry, the set isn't even over. Couldn't you wait until 8:00 for me to ask Gemma if she still needs us?" He backed off a bit and apologized, but I internally rolled my eyes - how could he be so unobservant as to not realize that I was still tearing tickets and that it wasn't even 7:40 (He has the same schedule of movies I do, and could read that one movie started at 7:45, and another at 7:50)?

I'm hoping that, because the GM has seen that a new hire is far more competent and causes less stress than someone who's been there for four months, she'll consider that in the "restructuring" that's happening soon.

As an aside, on Sunday night, when we finally clocked out, I accidentally dropped my headband (given to me by Michael when he and I were still on the same level of employment) on the floor. Larry just grabbed it up, put it on his lectern, and didn't say anything, even when I started panicking and tearing stuff apart to find it. I finally saw it on his lectern and grabbed it up, grateful I hadn't lost it. Larry said, "I wondered why you dropped that and didn't come back for it." I spluttered a bit - has he never misplaced something? - and then said in what I hoped was a mostly - nice manner (though I fear I sounded a bit abrupt and brittle), "Thanks for keeping it safe. A friend gave it to me; I would've hated to lose it." I didn't want to be mean about it, but he didn't even bother to come after me and say, "Hey, you dropped this." He let me freak the Ehell out about losing a prized possession given me by a friend and then gave that ham - handed response when I finally realized where it was. Heck, even if I'd just bought it one day at Claire's, and it didn't have any more meaning than that, it wasn't his property, and he had no right to let me freak out like that when he knew perfectly well where my personal property was.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:02:20 AM by violinp »
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #7493 on: March 24, 2015, 11:56:44 PM »
(pssst, violinp, I think you left Larry's real name in once)

Blah. I hope you're reporting when he signs off on things that he hasn't actually done, too - he's had plenty of time to learn and now he needs to get gone.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7494 on: March 25, 2015, 12:05:15 AM »

Blah. I hope you're reporting when he signs off on things that he hasn't actually done, too - he's had plenty of time to learn and now he needs to get gone.

Oops! Fixed, thanks!

I do, and I also explicitly tell him "sign on the stuff you did," and he still doesn't listen. I'm all for helping people, but he's not going to get better, and he's a straight - up liability.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #7495 on: March 25, 2015, 12:22:35 AM »

Oops! Fixed, thanks!

I do, and I also explicitly tell him "sign on the stuff you did," and he still doesn't listen. I'm all for helping people, but he's not going to get better, and he's a straight - up liability.

Ah, good. :)

If he gets fired, I bet he whines that nobody ever told him he wasn't doing good enough. In other news, I think your managers need to stop being 'gentle' with him - not "Larry, you don't need a walkie as much as Violinp does", but "Larry, you don't get a walkie because we can't trust you to use it appropriately". Less "Larry, worry about your own side and let Violinp do hers" and more "Larry, you are doing these things wrong and not doing these things right and if you don't improve you may lose your job".

Also! *hugs!* Please don't worry about being 'abrupt' or 'snappish' with him. He's doing stuff wrong that he should know by now, he's interrupting you when you're busy, he's being clueless when you're stressed... your tone is going to be off and you shouldn't feel bad about it. You aren't being rude, which is the important part from your side, and you are not required to protect his delicate feelings from the repercussions of his own actions.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Bobbie

« Reply #7496 on: March 25, 2015, 12:22:49 AM »

Do you follow the Stop Stealing Photos blog?

http://stopstealingphotos.com/

They find photo theft confront the thieves.

First of all, thanks for the link, I am hooked. And second, I have read a few and Wow beyond PD and SS

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7497 on: March 26, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
Yesterday: Long term employee is asked to do a X task, which is not outside her job duties and she was asked by someone she reports to. Instead of asking for the necessary details and making the arrangements, she hemmed and hawed and asked many questions and made it quite obvious that she did not want to do the task. Repeatedly asked the supervisor if they were sure this needed to be done, and were they aware of the cost, and were they aware that it would involve special handling. Supervisor was not pleased and ended up telling her to just do it, no more questions.

Today: Same employee interrupted a meeting between myself and my direct boss to make an assertion that I would change federal ID number for person because one of the sites wanted to hire person and needed that in the system. I replied that I am no longer allowed to change federal ID numbers. We have 3 authorized staff members across the university to do so. Documentation would need to be sent to them. I then excused myself because I would continue the conversation with my boss later. A few minutes later, I heard raised voices.
*Employee made changes to a position description without boss being asked or notified.
*Boss told employee to revert to the prior description as change was not authorized.
*Employee yelled and then left while boss was talking.
Employee has since then continued asking questions and making PA comments about X task.

These are just the latest in a long line of inane and PA comments made by this person in addition to the fact that she frequently oversteps her role (see the change in the position description) by trying to tell people in other departments what to do. Her long time supervisor and protector is leaving, which means she will work closer with supervisor involved in task X and others, including my boss. I don't know if she is going to survive the restructuring.

Same employee made a total clown of herself yesterday about task X. Asked the same question three times. Her supervisor is obviously exasperated.