News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 03, 2015, 05:58:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 2066424 times)

BeagleMommy

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #19980 on: April 30, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »
Every Thursday I go to the bank on my lunch hour to get the weekly money for me and DH.  I go to the drive-thru window then go to get some take-out as my weekly treat.

Today there are two cars in front of me at the bank's drive-thru window.  Not a problem because they usually move fairly quickly.  I wait, and wait, and wait.  Since I was the last car in line I finally backed up my car and parked in the parking lot to go into the bank.  As I pass the first car in line I can hear the woman driving the car having an in depth conversation with the bank teller.  The container is still sitting in the pneumatic tube thing that takes the transaction inside.

I go in, finish my transaction, and go back to my car to find the same woman still sitting in the drive-thru.  Just as I got in my car she pushes the button to send her transaction into the bank.

Really, lady, if you need to have a lengthy conversation before completing a bank transaction don't do it at the drive-thru!

Elisabunny

« Reply #19981 on: April 30, 2015, 05:52:28 PM »
I'm getting really fed up with being the only person in my house who has the ability to see work that needs to be done. A few weeks ago I trimmed tree branches and asked my husband's cousin, who is staying with us and earnestly insists that he doesn't want to be a freeloader, to drag them out to the burn pile, because they are too heavy for me.  He did, and all was well.  Last weekend I trimmed larger branches from trees and just sort of assumed that either cousin our DH would notice them as they walk past them several times a day and drag them to the burn pile, or at least ask me about them, but no.  Yes, I know, people aren't mind readers, ask for what you want, blah blah, but can't people take a tiny, tiny bit of responsibility?  No one specifically asks me to go grocery shopping and buy food that they enjoy, but I somehow manage to do that.  I manage to notice that the downstairs bathroom, which I never use, needs toilet paper/soap/clean linens, and take care of it, but two healthy adult men have walked right past large tree limbs at least twice a day for a week without taking any action...I guess they figure it's a new outdoor decorating fad.

And while I'm on the subject, the next person who carefully times his offer of assistance until the precise moment when the last dish is going in the dishwasher, or says, 'Oh, sit down, you're working too hard' instead of getting off his behind and doing something useful, is likely to get brained with the nearest blunt object.

Some people really don't see what needs to be done unless it's pointed out to them.  I hope your two are the type that if you cheerfully say, "Hey, I need this done!" will be happy to comply.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Team HoundMom

« Reply #19982 on: May 01, 2015, 09:49:22 AM »
Fences that don't contain anything.  For instance, a yard that has fences on only two sides or a fence with a bunch of gaps in it. Or a little piece of fence on a front yard as a decoration.  What's the point.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19983 on: May 01, 2015, 11:20:42 AM »
Fences that don't contain anything.  For instance, a yard that has fences on only two sides or a fence with a bunch of gaps in it. Or a little piece of fence on a front yard as a decoration.  What's the point.

I have a neighbor who has partial fences, mainly for decoration, I think. It does look a bit odd. May I add people who have several different kinds of fencing: chain-link, picket, etc. It just looks messy!

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19984 on: May 01, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »

There may be good reasons, like the fence segments were put up by neighbors -- my back yard is fenced on three sides because a previous neighbor in back installed a wire fence, and the neighbors on each side have 6 foot privacy fences.  The neighbor on my left didn't install fencing on one side of the front because the fencing is only for privacy and the double-sized driveway would require a very large gate. (In fact, I'm not sure it could be gated.)  Front-only segments are more for decoration or to delineate the property line.  I've seen fence segments on a corner lot installed to annoy people cutting across the lawn.

Personally, I'd rather have a complete fence in case I ever get a dog.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #19985 on: May 01, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »
I'm getting really fed up with being the only person in my house who has the ability to see work that needs to be done. A few weeks ago I trimmed tree branches and asked my husband's cousin, who is staying with us and earnestly insists that he doesn't want to be a freeloader, to drag them out to the burn pile, because they are too heavy for me.  He did, and all was well.  Last weekend I trimmed larger branches from trees and just sort of assumed that either cousin our DH would notice them as they walk past them several times a day and drag them to the burn pile, or at least ask me about them, but no.  Yes, I know, people aren't mind readers, ask for what you want, blah blah, but can't people take a tiny, tiny bit of responsibility?  No one specifically asks me to go grocery shopping and buy food that they enjoy, but I somehow manage to do that.  I manage to notice that the downstairs bathroom, which I never use, needs toilet paper/soap/clean linens, and take care of it, but two healthy adult men have walked right past large tree limbs at least twice a day for a week without taking any action...I guess they figure it's a new outdoor decorating fad.

And while I'm on the subject, the next person who carefully times his offer of assistance until the precise moment when the last dish is going in the dishwasher, or says, 'Oh, sit down, you're working too hard' instead of getting off his behind and doing something useful, is likely to get brained with the nearest blunt object.

Preach it, sister.   ;)  My MIL has an uncanny ability to walk into the kitchen as I'm finishing up dinner to ask if there's anything she can do to help.  I don't dare ask because then she complains about it later.  I have several bags of winter clothes, old toys and other assorted flotsam and jetsam that DH keeps tripping over but won't take to the basement.  I've taken down what I can, I can't carry these things as easily or navigate the labyrinth down there.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #19986 on: May 01, 2015, 05:46:40 PM »
Some people put fences up to the sidewalk but not along it to keep it from being convenient for pedestrians to cut across the lawn.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #19987 on: May 01, 2015, 09:00:19 PM »
Julian's Trip to the Dentist

I had a broken tooth and filling and had to get it fixed.  This is how it went.

<inject inject>

<wait>

<drill drill drill>

'Ow ow ow!!!'

<inject inject>

<wait wait>

<drill drill drill>

'Ow!' [low agonised moan]

<pick pick drill suck waterjet drill pick>

'Ow ow ow...'  [cry a little inside]

<pack fill poke poke fill>

'OK rinse and spit!'

'Hey, now it's numb!'

:-[

audhs

« Reply #19988 on: May 01, 2015, 09:57:52 PM »
The past few days, I have noticed drivers making turns without using the turn lane, their signals or any sort of forethought. I thought is was an anomaly, but I was apparently wrong.

Just tonight I was driving my 8y/o to a party and said come on people you turn signal is your friend.  Which turned into a 5 minute discussion on what a turn signal was and why its obnoxious when people don't use it. 😜

Although I'm starting to wonder if I should be allowed out at all as other people annoy me all the time lately.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #19989 on: Yesterday at 02:04:23 AM »
I'm up at almost 2am.

I'm itchy and I have no idea what is causing it (waiting on the antihistamines to kick in now).

After months of looking for my backup pair of glasses, I gave up and replaced them last week.  Want to guess what I found yesterday?  Granted,  I do have another pair, but I had a big Rx jump and can't really see well out of them (around the house would be fine, driving would not). Because I am SO blind, I prefer to have two pairs of glasses at all times even though I wear contacts most of the time.  At least now I can update the lenses in that pair.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19990 on: Yesterday at 05:54:04 PM »
The reviews for the jewelry pieces I bought mention they were too small, the chain wasn't the kind they liked, etc. I just opened them and the 6 carat earrings, 2 carat ring, and 3 carat pendant are perfect. I don't get it!

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #19991 on: Today at 05:06:27 AM »
My MIL who is sabotaging the way that my nephew is being disciplined.
My nephew (son of my SIL) is curently 8 years old. SIL is a single mom by choice (dad is a donor in the literal sense). Nephew has a bunch of issues; he has a lower intelligence; he is just learning to write his first words for example. He also has some behavioral issues, mainly due to a lack of impulse control and not being able to control his own emotions very well. It is also because his mom did't really know how to handle him for many years; since a year she has gotten professional help with that.
He spends at least one weekend per month with his grandparents (MIL and FIL) because SIL has to work one weekend per month. Whenever he does something naughty MIL is usually like 'oh well, he is just a kid, kids do those things'. Yesterday he ran into the sea with his shoes on, even though he has been warned several times not to. He threw sand into niece's face, and when FIL tries to grab his arm he attempted to trip FIL and started screaming. FIL declared the beach trip over, MIL was like 'but he's just a kid who does kid things'.

This happens every time. FIL has to be the boogeyman every time, and MIL sabotages his attempts to correct nephew. Sometimes she also sabotages the attempts of SIL to correct her own son. I know that FIL doesn't really like the weekend-stays anymore, and that's such a shame. It's also a shame for nephew, because his other family start to kinda dislike him because there is always some sort of incident when there is a family gathering. We know he can't help it really, but we maintain a bit more distance now because of it.

I think it stems from MIL's own desire not to have 'conflict', but she really doesn't see how she is harming everyone in the long run. And I really worry for the future of nephew.

On top of that; nephew still has trouble with knowing when to go to the toilet. Accidents still happen often, even with nr2. When my DH suggested that a doctor should be visited for that, he got a surprised response, as in, 'why is a doctor needed there?'. If toilet training isn't working well for 6 years, why doesn't anyone think that the problem is being physical?

Emmy

« Reply #19992 on: Today at 10:25:17 AM »
Whenever he does something naughty MIL is usually like 'oh well, he is just a kid, kids do those things'. Yesterday he ran into the sea with his shoes on, even though he has been warned several times not to. He threw sand into niece's face, and when FIL tries to grab his arm he attempted to trip FIL and started screaming. FIL declared the beach trip over, MIL was like 'but he's just a kid who does kid things'.

You stated that your MIL wants to avoid conflict, but she is doing it at the expense of nephew, SIL, FIL, and everybody else.  What you stated is not acceptable behavior for a 2 year old, let alone a 8 year old.  If MIL thinks this is OK and the situations escalates and he is fighting kids in school, vandalizing property, and other behaviors in his teenage years, will MIL say "oh, he's just a teenager.  He's just going through a tough time".  Hopefully it will never come to that.  As he gets older, it will be harder to manage his behavior.  If MIL continues to sabotage her efforts, hopefully SIL can find other arrangements for childcare. 

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #19993 on: Today at 10:27:41 AM »
"Come on lazy, keep up!" and "I know you can do better than that!". 
"You did okay.  It'll be better when you can keep up with us!" and "We really push ourselves, you should try it".

What patronizing ableist bullies. I don't walk with others now. I have a Couch 2 5k app that lets me play my music.  Do look at such things.

It drives me mad when DH takes me sitting down to feed the babu as a signal that he should take a break, sit down, read the Internet etc. I am trying to reframe it as he's spending quality time with his family.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #19994 on: Today at 12:27:38 PM »
Whenever he does something naughty MIL is usually like 'oh well, he is just a kid, kids do those things'. Yesterday he ran into the sea with his shoes on, even though he has been warned several times not to. He threw sand into niece's face, and when FIL tries to grab his arm he attempted to trip FIL and started screaming. FIL declared the beach trip over, MIL was like 'but he's just a kid who does kid things'.

You stated that your MIL wants to avoid conflict, but she is doing it at the expense of nephew, SIL, FIL, and everybody else.  What you stated is not acceptable behavior for a 2 year old, let alone a 8 year old.  If MIL thinks this is OK and the situations escalates and he is fighting kids in school, vandalizing property, and other behaviors in his teenage years, will MIL say "oh, he's just a teenager.  He's just going through a tough time".  Hopefully it will never come to that.  As he gets older, it will be harder to manage his behavior.  If MIL continues to sabotage her efforts, hopefully SIL can find other arrangements for childcare.

Pretty much what went through our heads. I even compared his behaviour to that of my toddler. And it's sad because nephew does have a sweet side, but now it's very much being overshadowed by his issues. It's him I feel most sorry for in this situation.