News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 27, 2017, 02:24:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O I'm Never Shopping There - What Businesses Will Forever Have Your Patronage?  (Read 162440 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
La-Z-Boy furniture. They warranty their furniture for life from breakage and have a good protection plan for purchase. We're buying furniture from them for the second time in 30 years.

Really, my mother bought a recliner from them and it would not lock back into full recline.  They sent someone to look at it.  They weren't able to fix it and told her 'sorry, can't help you' and left. 

You'd think that after she spent over $5k they'd provide better service, but apparently not.

The protection plan is what gives it the lifetime warranty, but of course, different stores may say different things.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

ladyknight1

Our new, local, insurance agent and the company that is covering our home. Agent was able to get us covered in a day, and get all the paperwork processed quickly.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

ladyknight1

Our new, local, insurance agent and the company that is covering our home. Agent was able to get us covered in a day, and get all the paperwork processed quickly.

Even better, today I received our policy!
-J.R.R Tolkien

Outdoor Girl

My insurance agent.  We bought a trailer.  I emailed her in the morning with all the details, letting her know I was heading out to pick up the plates, because I thought she needed the plate number.  Called her when I got back.  She was already working on it and I had a temporary insurance card emailed to me by noon.  Got the permanent card within a couple of days.

A far cry from the experience we had with another agent - our agent doesn't deal in commercial vehicles, unfortunately.  We're hoping she does by the time the policy is up for renewal.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

6pm.com - which for those who don't know, is Zappos clearance site. I've bought so many nice, but very cheap, shoes from them. If you don't mind last year's style, they have deals!

Latest pair came and it had a spot on it, either oil or grease, on cream leather, open toe, right on top, so very noticeable. Because they have such great deals, if you return, you pay. ok fine, but i emailed them asking if they would pay since they were damaged. and could they send me a label to do so.

well, they said, no need to return, keep the shoes, we'll refund you and give you a $10 credit for the "inconvenience" wow. not expecting that at all!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Just ordered a spare pair of walking shoes for my next trip...I love sandals, but my heels are cracking to a very painful degree - it's time for some summer *shoes* in my closet...and suitcase.  Thanks for the URL!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
Get some shea butter and slather your heels (entire feet!) and put on some socks when you go to bed.  Do that a few times a month and you should have much happier feeties.  I do it because I get cracked cuticles and nasty dry skin that stings.  This stuff helps me a lot.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

dawnfire

Get some shea butter and slather your heels (entire feet!) and put on some socks when you go to bed.  Do that a few times a month and you should have much happier feeties.  I do it because I get cracked cuticles and nasty dry skin that stings.  This stuff helps me a lot.

before you hit the Shea butter give yourself a good foot bath. warm water add some shower gel and soak your feet for a few minutes and then go to town on the trouble areas with a loofah. dry and then moisturize. 
Whittlesea Victoria

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
It's being 60 and hypothyroid in sandals - although I had really thick callouses back in high school.  I used to grab my mother's razor and shave the skin down, then pumice. 

That type of razor is no longer sold - so I have had to try the stainless steel cheese grater, the pumice stone, and the other, newer types of callous removers.  As long as I wear shoes, my feet sweat enough to stay soft, but in summer, I wore sandals for decades...the heel skin just dried out too much, even with using lotion & wearing socks to bed.

((Shrug))  The orthopedic inserts for my plantar faciitis are easier to keep in place in shoes than it sandals - I'll see how the new shoes work out (got one pair in the mail Saturday, got another pair at the San Antonio Shoe store in the nearby strip mall Monday, and ordered another pair of shoes yesterday from a link on one of the threads here....). 

I had a pedicure on vacation in May and I'm thinking that I may have another one later this week...it's not as much fun when your feet are as ticklish as mine are - but they really do the foot bath and moisturizer thing afterward well...and I don't have to twist into a pretzel to do it myself.

So far, after "sanding" the callous down over the weekend and wearing shoes instead of sandals, the existing cracks are not getting deeper or wider and the skin is staying softer.  But it's going to take a few more days of exfoliating a little at a time to let the skin recover completely (I can't sand off the callous faster than the skin renews from the bottom).  And I have coconut oil in a small container to slather on elbows, knees, and heels...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:35:38 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

pattycake

Jarden Consumer Solutions - they make Food Saver Products. I bought the Food Saver Fresh Containers to go with my Food Saver. They are for fresh fruits and vegetables. You hook the containers up to the Food Saver, and it sucks as much air out as it can, and keeps your fruits and vegetables fresher from a few days to a week or so longer. I wanted them so I could take advantage of buying some of the great produce at Costco.

When I tried using the 10 cup container, it wouldn't seal. Aaargh! So I finally remembered to try the others, and they worked great. I searched for the contact info on line, and sent them an email, thinking I would be told I had to send it off somewhere or something, and would be holding my breath until I turned blue. But no - in two days I got a response that they are sending a new one, and just keep the old one - works for me! Though the old one won't seal properly for the vacuum, it will still be fine to store stuff in short term as the lid does close tight to the bottom.

I love the Food Saver - I can keep things so much longer in the freezer. It's one of the few products that if I were famous, I would do commercials for them, so this experience with their customer service made me very happy.

ladyknight1

In one of the towns near us, there is a thriving downtown area, with lots of shops, restaurants, and a brewery.

While visiting the brewery yesterday, we were looking for a substantial snack or light lunch, especially since we had the ever starving DS with us.

The small brick oven pizza restaurant in the same building as the brewery has now opened a Mac n' Cheese bar, where you choose the additional ingredients to customize the locally made pasta and cheese sauce. DS, who is picky, chose the Buffalo chicken macaroni and cheese. DH and I split a pimiento cheese version that had bacon and jalapeno.

They were excellent. We plan to bring any out of town guests to have a beverage from the brewery and enjoy either the pizza or macaroni and cheese bar.
-J.R.R Tolkien