News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 03, 2015, 03:04:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What do you see in that dress?

Blue and black
31 (23.3%)
White and Gold
49 (36.8%)
Sometimes one and sometimes the other
25 (18.8%)
I don't care
28 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: The dress that "broke the internet"  (Read 1504 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: The dress that "broke the internet"
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 09:51:07 AM »
I think that people are creating a paradox when there really isn't one. The confusion arises from the difference between "what colour the picture is" and "what colour the dress is". Actuality versus perception.

The actual colours in the picture appear to me as pale blue and a dark brown (there's one commenter who has done a colour analysis of the pixels confirming this). However, our brains are hardwired to know that raw data does not always accurately reflect reality. This picture has not been colour-corrected. Based on the colour palette, my brain makes an automatic adjustment to tell me that the real colours are white and gold.

So, I think the problem is that people are discussing two different things. The picture is blue and brown, but the dress is white and gold.

Except the dress is actually blue and black. 

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 09:55:16 AM »
It took me a few days, but I can pretty much shift my perception at will at this point. (Just long enough for the topic to get knocked out of trending)

Now, when I see a thumbnail, it looks white until I focus, at which point the color saturates into royal blue/black. DH still cannot fathom how anyone could get a white/gold image out of the picture in the first place. I do think it looks better in the dark colors than the light ones.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 10:04:58 AM »
White and gold, with a bluish cast to the white, but not blue.

DH, who is red-green colorblind sees it as seafoam green and gold/brown.

I'm fascinated by our brains and how they translate color.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 10:14:01 AM »
I saw this Thursday night and the whole night I saw a dress that was clearly gold and white.  I couldn't understand how anyone could get blue and black out of it, even after seeing the actual dress in another photo.  Then the next morning, I pulled up the same picture and saw nothing but blue and black.

It was really bothering me and I couldn't figure out why I was so upset over the color of a dress.  Then I realized it wasn't that but the fact that my brain was so easily tricked.  That is a little unnerving. 

wordgirl

• Just bead it
  • Super Hero!
  • Pinterest is the new crack
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 10:14:45 AM »

This is why it is so cool. And it's emerged as cool on two levels.

First is the actual perception of the picture. I looked at it and said "white and gold." My brother looked at the very same image and said "blue and black."

There's an actual scientific explanation of why this happens, based on rods and cones and all sortsa cool stuff with how the brain auto-corrects images based on our understanding of light: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/02/27/dress-blue-black-white-gold-science/24113695/

And then there's the second-level split, between the folks who think this is all rather amazing and see it as an opportunity to understand more about the way our brains and eyes work together, and those who blow the whole thing off with "Oh, it's just a bad picture and this is all stupid."

Crazy Chicken Lady

« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 11:18:19 AM »
I saw it as light blue and bronze. DH saw it as white and gold.   :-\

mime

« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 11:40:42 AM »

This is why it is so cool. And it's emerged as cool on two levels.

First is the actual perception of the picture. I looked at it and said "white and gold." My brother looked at the very same image and said "blue and black."

There's an actual scientific explanation of why this happens, based on rods and cones and all sortsa cool stuff with how the brain auto-corrects images based on our understanding of light: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/02/27/dress-blue-black-white-gold-science/24113695/

And then there's the second-level split, between the folks who think this is all rather amazing and see it as an opportunity to understand more about the way our brains and eyes work together, and those who blow the whole thing off with "Oh, it's just a bad picture and this is all stupid."

Yeah, this is interesting from both perspectives!

As for me: my thoughts, within 2 minutes time:
"White and Gold..... no, wait: periwinkle and brown. Whoa, wait a minute: now it's blue and black! Nope, white and gold again." All this while my son stared at me as if I was making it up.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 12:35:26 PM »

I've posted this before http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge
I had a perfect score...not sure how many people can boast that.  ;)
I got perfect zero too - I think we're superchromats!

I did too - it was very easy for me.    It was interesting though - I clearly saw it was blue/black for the 1st day and a half, then suddenly it changed to white/gold.  I realized that if I started at the very top of the dress and looked down, it was white/gold to me (but then would start changing to blue/black), but if I started at the bottom, it was blue/black from the start. 

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 12:37:22 PM »
(Matrix)  You just have to remember the truth...there is no dress.  (/Matrix)
I'll get there.  Eventually.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 01:01:57 PM »
^Was it a dress or a spoon? Is the oracle involved?

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 01:09:00 PM »
My husband said it wasn't a question of what colour the dress was, but what colour the picture of the dress was.

I saw a pale blue dress with browny gold trim. When I turned the brightness way, way down on my iPad, I could see it as blue and black. But with the original settings, I just couldn't understand how people could see black instead of that browny gold colour.

This!  The black trim looked distinctly brown to me, even though I saw the dress as blue.

Coley

« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 01:50:59 PM »
I saw the dress as white and gold. I'm 47.

DH saw the dress as gray and tan. He's 60.

DS saw the "white" parts of the dress as blue/green/purple, and the "gold" parts as black. He's 14.

FWIW, I scored 10 on the Pantone Color Test that Dazi posted. My weaknesses are in the blue/green portion of the spectrum.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #42 on: Yesterday at 02:32:04 PM »
I didn't understand why there was so much interest.  I thought the escaping llamas were much more exciting.

There was a story about cute llamas escaping custody?  Where?  And when?

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #43 on: Yesterday at 05:21:12 PM »
I didn't understand why there was so much interest.  I thought the escaping llamas were much more exciting.

There was a story about cute llamas escaping custody?  Where?  And when?

This video has music to go along with it  http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/02/26/llammas_chase_video_watch_arizona_police_chase_two_escaped_llamas_outside.html

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 07:16:16 PM »
I was so sure it was white and gold and even though I'd read the reasoning, I just couldn't see the blue and black.  That is, until I was thinking about something else  and I was kind of spaced out at my computer and let my eyes slide out of focus.  Then I saw the blue and black.   But if I focused on the dress again, it went back to white and gold.  I also found I could see the blue and black if I scrolled down until only the bottom quarter of the photo was showing, eliminating the lighting trick.
"After all this time?"
"Always."