Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 52932 times)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #750 on: August 26, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »
I am taking a college history course online, started yesterday.  Instructor asks for us to join in a discussion with name, location, background and clues to our favorite historical person but not their name for the rest of us to guess.  Some are very interesting and difficult. 

I copied the exact text: My favorite historical figure was a president in office that was cripled from the waiste down but that never stopped him. He had one of the most important speches that led to the tearing down of the berlin well. He was an actor in California before becoming governor.

I don't want to get into political trouble here - but I cannot find ONE president that meets this criteria.  I found one that was crippled from polio and one that was an actor prior to being Governor of California and made an important speech about the Berlin Wall. 

Again, this is college and this person is a local high school graduate.  I just want to call their high school and cry.   

:o

My assessment is the same as yours!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #751 on: August 26, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »
I just saw something on that bastion of excellent writing and grammar, Facebook, where someone's Twitter post is being shared around so it can be jeered at for referring to the Holocaust as the "Hall of Cost" - an unusual (perhaps Freudian) slip, given the appalling cost to humanity.

The clincher was one of the jeerers in the comments, who wrote " Well, he may have the actually spelling wrong, and the actual name of the Halocoast...."  Presumably some saintly beach resort, somewhere.

Grins. I love irony.

I saw this on something yesterday and could not figure out what they were talking about...

dear heavens - Hall of Cost ???   I'm just stunned into near silence. 

cabbageweevil

« Reply #752 on: August 27, 2014, 05:02:14 AM »
I just saw something on that bastion of excellent writing and grammar, Facebook, where someone's Twitter post is being shared around so it can be jeered at for referring to the Holocaust as the "Hall of Cost" - an unusual (perhaps Freudian) slip, given the appalling cost to humanity.

The clincher was one of the jeerers in the comments, who wrote " Well, he may have the actually spelling wrong, and the actual name of the Halocoast...."  Presumably some saintly beach resort, somewhere.

Grins. I love irony.

There's another message board which I frequent, which has "coined" an Internet "Law" of its own (called Gaudere's Law, after a poster thereon, with that online name, who has seemed to be a frequent victim of the phenomenon concerned). Which is, that anyone who makes a post correcting another poster's spelling or grammar, is extremely likely -- if not outright guaranteed -- to have an error of some kind in that very post of theirs.  Admittedly, this is usually a matter of typos, rather than of being wrong / mistaken oneself.  However, it tends to make one wary of perpetrating such correcting-type posts !

With "the highly ignorant correcting the highly ignorant", though -- absolutely: you've got to laugh.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #753 on: August 27, 2014, 09:15:41 AM »
If I see one more person state that orange female cats are "incredibly rare" I'm going to scream. Roughly 1/4 of orange cats are female. That's not incredibly rare - or ever regular old rare.

Thank you!

You're welcome - although I now realize I posted that in the wrong thread.  :D

Which thread is it? I can't find it! I have a male calico, the number of people who insist I'm wrong is astounding...

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #754 on: August 27, 2014, 10:49:57 AM »
If I see one more person state that orange female cats are "incredibly rare" I'm going to scream. Roughly 1/4 of orange cats are female. That's not incredibly rare - or ever regular old rare.

Thank you!

Which thread is it? I can't find it! I have a male calico, the number of people who insist I'm wrong is astounding...

I had an all white cat with green eyes who wasn't deaf.  Plenty of people insisted I was wrong even after I called to him and he came to me.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #755 on: August 27, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »
My brother got married at the weekend.

I earned a great many Good Sister Points for biting my tongue and not pointing out the 150 (approx!) missing apostrophes on all their place cards and menus. They all said "Elphaba and Fiyeros Wedding" - it's not even correct if there'd been more than one groom. Gah. And the really sad part is I'm probably the only person who noticed...

BeagleMommy

« Reply #756 on: Yesterday at 03:52:15 PM »
I am taking a college history course online, started yesterday.  Instructor asks for us to join in a discussion with name, location, background and clues to our favorite historical person but not their name for the rest of us to guess.  Some are very interesting and difficult. 

I copied the exact text: My favorite historical figure was a president in office that was cripled from the waiste down but that never stopped him. He had one of the most important speches that led to the tearing down of the berlin well. He was an actor in California before becoming governor.

I don't want to get into political trouble here - but I cannot find ONE president that meets this criteria.  I found one that was crippled from polio and one that was an actor prior to being Governor of California and made an important speech about the Berlin Wall. 

Again, this is college and this person is a local high school graduate.  I just want to call their high school and cry.   

One of my favorite books is "Anguished English" by Richard Lederer.  It is chock full of grammar mistakes and comical historical inaccuracies.  Example: "Beethoven wrote many symphonies.  He also fathered many children.  In between, he practiced on a old spinster in the attic."  ;D

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #757 on: Yesterday at 04:30:20 PM »

One of my favorite books is "Anguished English" by Richard Lederer.  It is chock full of grammar mistakes and comical historical inaccuracies.  Example: "Beethoven wrote many symphonies.  He also fathered many children.  In between, he practiced on a old spinster in the attic."  ;D

Or the bank that said "Save with us - you'll never reget it!"

I love Richard Lederer's books. ;D
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #758 on: Today at 02:27:28 PM »

So someone made a Frankenstein-like president out of FDR and Ronald Reagan? Politically, that would have been very interesting!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #759 on: Today at 03:07:35 PM »

Thank you!

The people saying that about orange cats was on Facebook rather than here. I meant to put my post in the Things That Drive You Nuts thread instead of this one.

My cats' vet has a male calico, also. They're few and far between, but they certainly exist. :)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #760 on: Today at 04:18:21 PM »

So someone made a Frankenstein-like president out of FDR and Ronald Reagan? Politically, that would have been very interesting!

Frankenprez!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."