News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 24, 2016, 11:01:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Where do you allow food in your home?

Kitchen
Dining room
Living room/den
Porch
Bedroom
Other

Author Topic: Where do you allow food in your home?  (Read 1011 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Where do you allow food in your home?
« Reply #30 on: Today at 12:08:59 AM »
Our downstairs (living areas) are fully tiled, whereas upstairs (bedrooms) is fully carpeted, so for us that's the difference and the line is the bottom of the stairs.       One exception is the kids may not eat *on* the couches in the living room (I can, they can't!).  However as it's open plan the living room/dining is technically one room, so they definitely eat in that room.   

I prefer the kids not eat in the downstairs playroom as it's annoying to clean, but I do make exceptions for a "special treat" as my 3yr old calls it.  Basically, if I am desperately in need of some kid-free time and am treating them to some TV/DVD,  I figure they may as well have a snack in there too. 

I strongly encourage my kids to eat outside on the back porch, easier to hose them down afterwards... (I have a 1yr old and 3yr old and live in a hot climate!  ;D )

Bedrooms... perhaps if they weren't carpeted?  But it's nice to have part of the house that stays that little bit cleaner, no crumbs around!   No ants.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

veryfluffy

« Reply #31 on: Today at 02:45:22 AM »
Nowhere is particularly off-limits. Meals are mostly at the table, but we eat on the sofa in front of the tv sometimes. I often have snacks at my desk in my office. DH and I like to take a snack and glass of wine up to bed sometimes. Apparently unlike most, I will even eat in the bathroom -- I like a soak in the tub with a bowl of nuts and a glass of wine.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:07:18 AM »
I live on my own so I please myself. Don't tend to eat in the bedroom much. When I have, it's been raisin toast or something light with a cuppa. It's not so much crumbs as strong food smells I wouldn't want in the bedroom.

I expect guests to eat meals in the kitchen, dining or lounge room. Snacks and drinks in bedroom are ok as long as they're not creating a great mess.

Coralreef

« Reply #33 on: Today at 08:00:05 AM »
Food is allowed in the kitchen/dining room and in the living room. I live alone but I never bring food upstairs (bedrooms/bathroom) or the craft room. Same rules for any guest. A glass of wine while in the bathtub is an occasional treat  ;D .

This reminds me I have to put the screens and roof on the gazebo for outdoor eating.

[/right

knitwicca

« Reply #34 on: Today at 08:12:13 AM »
I, too, live alone so I eat where I want in my own home.
I take my second cup of coffee into the bedroom in the mornings while I get ready for work.  But never food.

I used to have an acquaintance who was the epitome of "crazy cat lady".  She lived in a small house with a polished concrete floor and more cats than anyone cared to count.
She kept no people-furniture in the house except a bed and a tv on a stand in the bedroom. 
Other than that, the entire house was devoted to the cats. Cat condos, cat beds, cat toys, litter boxes lining the living room (that is as far as I ever got)

Her then-BF told me that he ate in the bathroom because it was the only place he could close a door and not be covered in cats.

pixel dust

« Reply #35 on: Today at 08:21:44 AM »
Right now it's pretty easy because my son is only 2 so if we don't bring it upstairs for him, it doesn't go upstairs (where all our bedrooms are). Once he gets older though I think the general rule will be "food only on the main floor" We're in a 3 level townhome with the living room, dining room, and kitchen on the "main floor". Knowing myself, I won't want to be traipsing up and down the stairs fetching cups and plates, etc. so I think a "food only on main floor" will be a good rule (with the caveat of, mom and dad are exempt because we know how to clean up after ourselves).

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #36 on: Today at 10:05:58 AM »
No kids so that takes that mess out of the equation.   ;)

We eat in the kitchen/dining room when we have guests or if the table is clear enough that we can eat there.   ::)  We usually eat on our laps in the living room while watching TV.  We have the cats trained to get down off the couch when we sit down with food.  It will change when we have the dogs in the house with us, as I think they will be harder to train, believe it or not, so at that point, we'll have to keep the table clear.

In the summer, we do eat out on the deck when the mosquitoes aren't the size of hummingbirds.

No eating in the bathroom or in the bedroom.  No TV in the bedroom so if one of us is sick, we're on the couch in the living room.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

#borecore

• Formerly marvellous, now a bore
« Reply #37 on: Today at 11:27:09 AM »
We typically eat breakfast at the table in the kitchen, and sometimes we eat dinner or lunch there, but it's small and not entirely comfortable if the oven's been running because it heats the whole kitchen.

We don't have a dining room or porch.

We often eat dinner on the couch because it's more comfortable and/or because we want to watch something on TV. If we have guests, we serve dinner on the coffee table and arrange chairs around it because our dining table isn't big enough unless we pull it out and have a total of 4 or fewer people.

I sometimes eat lunch or a snack in bed if I'm studying in here, but we very often end up eating it at our desks while studying, as well.

I wouldn't bring food into the bedroom just to eat, or suggest that guests eat in here. It's only for when I just don't feel like there's another space to work quietly in the house.

The cat's food is in the kitchen, which I strongly prefer over any other room (not least because it has linoleum instead of hardwood like the rest of the apartment).

Baby Snakes

« Reply #38 on: Today at 11:44:41 AM »
Now that our kids are grown we usually eat on TV trays in the living room so we can watch TV.  The only time we use the kitchen table is when we have company as we don't have a dining room.

When the kids were growing up all meals were taken at the kitchen table.

demarco

« Reply #39 on: Today at 07:38:38 PM »
Just two grownups live in this house so there are no rules about where in the house we can eat. In practice, however, we are unlikely to eat anything upstairs other than a snack in a bag because hauling plates and such up and down stairs is so cumbersome.

This wasn't in the poll but I do have a strict rule that no one eats in my car. I break this rule when I'm driving alone but I clean up if I spill something. No one else does.

JoW

« Reply #40 on: Today at 08:08:36 PM »
My kitchen, dining area, and living room are all one room.  I eat meals at the dining table, but I may snack in the living room area. 

I read a dieting tip once - make rules about eating.  Limit yourself to eating sitting down at one location in your house and you will be less likely to snack.  The more rules you make and follow the less you'll eat.  I can see the logic.