News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 24, 2017, 03:27:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can anyone help me idenitify the origin of this phrase?  (Read 1001 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Can anyone help me idenitify the origin of this phrase?
« on: March 17, 2017, 05:20:13 AM »
My mum sometimes uses the phrase "For you, I kill the bull" (but it's said in a continental Spanish accent, so it sounds more like "I killa da bull") meaning that she's do something awesome for me (or someone else). I'd never heard this phrase from anyone else until today when one of my friends said this to another friend and when I asked where she got the quote from, she said her mum also said it, but she also isn't sure of the origin of the phrase.

Google isn't helping about where the phrase might come from (in fact the few mentions of it I can find are also from people who don't know where it's from).

Does anyone here know the phrase or have any ideas about where I could ask for someone else who might know it?
<3

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
Re: Can anyone help me idenitify the origin of this phrase?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 05:36:43 AM »
I would imagine that it originates from Spain and is some sort of reference to bull fighting - but that's me making assumptions rather than anything solid.

WolfWay

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 06:08:01 AM »
I would imagine that it originates from Spain and is some sort of reference to bull fighting - but that's me making assumptions rather than anything solid.
I'm guessing that's what it's a reference to, but given we live in South Africa, I would assume it's from a movie or a tv series or a song or a book. But I think it's before my time, so I was wondering if it was a well known reference from a previous generation.
<3

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 06:23:29 AM »
My googling seems to hint that it's an old joke, possibly from a movie, with a punchline like, "for you, I kill the bull; for your sister, I kill you." Or the reverse, or some variation on that.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 07:08:37 AM »
I wondered if it might be anything to do with killing the fatted calf?
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

WolfWay

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 07:30:51 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's about bull fighting. I think #borecore's guess sounds the most likely (an old joke) . It seems like a lost relic of an old pre-internet meme.
<3

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 07:42:34 AM »
I'm guessing that's what it's a reference to, but given we live in South Africa, I would assume it's from a movie or a tv series or a song or a book. But I think it's before my time, so I was wondering if it was a well known reference from a previous generation.

In that case: could it be a reference to the Zulu tradition of bull killing? My googling did turn up some information about Zulus and bulls (and one rather strange page that managed to combine the Currie Cup, Zulus, bulls, sheep and what sheep might consider a fate worse than death in Australia/New Zealand/Wales) though nothing using the specific phrase.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 08:05:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's about bull fighting. I think #borecore's guess sounds the most likely (an old joke) . It seems like a lost relic of an old pre-internet meme.

You would pick up the 'feeling' better than I did from just reading the words.  #borecore's guess does sound like a joke that's so well known that the punchline has been dropped some time in the past.  I have a feeling that's going to lodge in my brain. ;D
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

MrTango

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
It could also be a gesture of willingness to do something extraordinary for someone.  Most farmers would only have one bull, and it was necessary to keep the bull healthy in order to breed more cattle, so being willing to slaughter it would be a very large gesture.

WolfWay

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 03:26:43 AM »
OP here. I had a chance to sit down with mum and ask her about it. She says it's just an old jokey phrase. "For you, I kill da bull. For your sister, I kill you!" (it's referencing Spanish bull fighting). It's not from a song or book or anything. She says it's just been around since at least the 70s, but she can't remember where she first heard it. Pre internet meme I guess. :)
<3

Twik

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:24:18 AM »
Funny, I looked it up and a lot of people want to know where the phrase comes from, no one seems to have a good idea!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hmmmmm

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:20:07 AM »
OP here. I had a chance to sit down with mum and ask her about it. She says it's just an old jokey phrase. "For you, I kill da bull. For your sister, I kill you!" (it's referencing Spanish bull fighting). It's not from a song or book or anything. She says it's just been around since at least the 70s, but she can't remember where she first heard it. Pre internet meme I guess. :)

I do remember hearing it as an old joke but it is odd that no one remembers where it came from.

Now I'm really curious. I asked my DH if he's heard it and he said no. I did a google search and came across this New Zealand meat market. Maybe contact them to see if they know the origin.

For uI Killa da Bullhttp://bfmd.co.za/
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:36:10 PM by Hmmmmm »

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 11:36:27 AM »
Can I add another one?  My aunt would respond to anyone using the curse word that starts with s and ends with t with, 'Carry four (for?)'.

I have no idea what that meant and she's long gone so I can't ask her.

Anyone know anything about that one?
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

bopper

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 03:39:09 PM »
I have not found any info on the origin either! But I found this: