News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 03, 2016, 01:34:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2883617 times)

pattycake

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #20625 on: Yesterday at 09:38:20 AM »
I knew a Danielle pronounced "Da-kneel".  Today my dad mentioned he met a Joel pronounced "Joe-El".  Why would you name your kid something no one would ever pronounce right?!

There's a football player named Taco on whatever game that was on last weekend.  I concluded that he must marry someone named Belle.

French speaking people pronounce the name "Joe-el" (with a soft J.)

pwv

« Reply #20626 on: Yesterday at 10:23:25 AM »
I knew a Danielle pronounced "Da-kneel".  Today my dad mentioned he met a Joel pronounced "Joe-El".  Why would you name your kid something no one would ever pronounce right?!

There's a football player named Taco on whatever game that was on last weekend.  I concluded that he must marry someone named Belle.

Superman's Krypton name was Kal-El and his dad was Jor-El.  Maybe Joe-El is one of Supe's cousins who managed to escape before their planet was destroyed.

Cor

« Reply #20627 on: Yesterday at 12:16:56 PM »

Superman's Krypton name was Kal-El and his dad was Jor-El.  Maybe Joe-El is one of Supe's cousins who managed to escape before their planet was destroyed.

My dad actually made a quip just like that pwv & sidi-ji, except that it was not make to Joe-El.  Confusingly, this new company my dad was working with has both a Joel (rhymes with pole) and a Joel (Joe-El).  My dad called the office in response to an email from "Joel" and was put through to "Joel (rhymes with pole)".  After a long conversation where Joel (pole) had no idea what email my dad was talking about and my dad literally read the email to Joel (pole), who finally said "Ooooh! You must have gotten that email from Joe-el!"  (Why there was no clarification using last names as soon as it was clear that the first guy didn't know what my dad was talking about, I'll never understand...)  So my dad made a comment about Joe-El being related to Superman to Joel (pole); dad then took care of the issue in the email in writing without further conversation as it just seemed easier at that point.

Pattycake:  Does American English have a "soft J"?  I'm having trouble coming up with any examples.  But even if that's the case, to pronounce it the way neither an American would (J like Jump) nor a French-speaker would ("soft" J) still strikes me as being problematic.  Now *no one* will pronounce your name right simply by seeing it written out unless they've heard you say it before.

Lindenharp

« Reply #20628 on: Yesterday at 12:20:11 PM »

In Hebrew (and it's a Hebrew name) it's pronounced "Yo-el".

Betelnut

« Reply #20629 on: Yesterday at 12:21:56 PM »

My dad actually made a quip just like that pwv & sidi-ji, except that it was not make to Joe-El.  Confusingly, this new company my dad was working with has both a Joel (rhymes with pole) and a Joel (Joe-El).  My dad called the office in response to an email from "Joel" and was put through to "Joel (rhymes with pole)".  After a long conversation where Joel (pole) had no idea what email my dad was talking about and my dad literally read the email to Joel (pole), who finally said "Ooooh! You must have gotten that email from Joe-el!"  (Why there was no clarification using last names as soon as it was clear that the first guy didn't know what my dad was talking about, I'll never understand...)  So my dad made a comment about Joe-El being related to Superman to Joel (pole); dad then took care of the issue in the email in writing without further conversation as it just seemed easier at that point.

Pattycake:  Does American English have a "soft J"?  I'm having trouble coming up with any examples.  But even if that's the case, to pronounce it the way neither an American would (J like Jump) nor a French-speaker would ("soft" J) still strikes me as being problematic.  Now *no one* will pronounce your name right simply by seeing it written out unless they've heard you say it before.

Only when saying Spanish words such as jalapeno.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

pattycake

« Reply #20630 on: Yesterday at 12:47:43 PM »

Do you know what the French name Georges sounds like? It sounds like the g's in that. I think the dictionaries use zh to show pronunciation of that sound.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #20631 on: Yesterday at 01:10:04 PM »

I thought that was an 'h' sound, not a soft-j

Betelnut

« Reply #20632 on: Yesterday at 01:38:55 PM »

I thought that was an 'h' sound, not a soft-j

Oh my gosh, yes, that's right.  I don't know what I was thinking!  LOL
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Mustard

« Reply #20633 on: Yesterday at 01:46:11 PM »
The only soft j I can think of is Taj Mahal

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #20634 on: Yesterday at 02:22:21 PM »
Shavarne
Shaune - for a woman
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

BeagleMommy

« Reply #20635 on: Yesterday at 03:22:03 PM »
Another gem from the judge shows:

Jacqwlyne - pronounced Jacqueline.  I've seen a lot of misspellings of my name but this one is royally bad.

KB

« Reply #20636 on: Yesterday at 10:51:38 PM »
I was at an event on the weekend that brought together Orange and Green people, and heard about a Green person who called her child a name that sounded like Absiddy. Nope, turns out it was Abcde. *facepalm* Although at least the child would learn to spell her name quickly...

I have heard of this, but only as an urban legend. You actually heard the mother spell the name? Wow - why do people do that?!

Yup! Didn't get the meet the poor child, but the name was very clearly spelled out. And as to why - I have no idea!

pattycake

« Reply #20637 on: Today at 01:00:40 AM »
The only soft j I can think of is Taj Mahal

Yes, perfect! I kept thinking of other words that had that sound but weren't spelled with a J! (like confusion)