News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 06, 2015, 05:41:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Camera help  (Read 249 times)

jtimenow

New Camera help
« on: Yesterday at 05:25:37 PM »
Does anyone own a Nikon? Are they good. I am looking to buy a Nikon D3200. I have never owned an this type of camera before it's only been point and shoot. I don't want to spend a ton of money but want more flexibility with lenses and flashes. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

demarco

Re: New Camera help
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:30:49 PM »
I don't know specifically about the 3200 but I have a Nikon 5300 that DH gave to me a couple of years ago. It was the first camera I ever had that wasn't a simple, cheap point and shoot. I have barely scratched the surface of the things it can do and am still using just the automatic settings. Even with those it takes great pictures, much better than I have ever taken before.

I have a black Labrador retriever. It is hard to get a good picture of a black dog/pet, especially indoors. I have a lot of photos of Temperance the Wonderdog, taken with my old camera and my phone that are just featureless blobs but I get great shots of her with my Nikon, indoors and out. I can even see her eyebrows in them and I didn't even know she had eyebrows!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:49:57 PM »
What are you looking to do with the camera? What types of camera's have you had in the past?

I don't know anything about Nikon, I'm a Canon user.  But DSLR's have similar features. 

jtimenow

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:14:32 AM »
I'm looking for more versatility than I have with the point and shoot. I have a canon point and shoot now and it's been nothing but a headache until it finally died. I would like to be able to use it long term. Another thing is that indoor quality needs to be pretty good.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:48:24 AM »
What type of pictures are you looking to take?  Pictures of your children, your dog/cat, yourself, kids running around, landscapes, macro, etc.  What made the point and shoot a headache?

If you just go and buy a DSLR without know what you want to use it for, it'll be a bigger headache with a lot more buttons and options. 

My recommendation would be to go to a local camera shop.  Not a Target or Best Buy, but an actual camera shop and tell them what you want to do with the camera.  My second piece of advice would be to discard your kit lenses and get a Tamron 18-270 lens.  DSLR's usually come with a 18-55 and a zoom lens.   This will take the place of both lenses so you have more flexibility. 

spookycatlady

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:42:27 PM »
I have the D3100 and it was my first foray into the world of DLSRs.  I like it.  It's basic, but has enough understandable versatility for a dilettante like myself and didn't cost an arm and a leg.  My only complaint is that I occasionally have trouble with the battery, but I suspect that might be coming from neglectful charging practice from the user (cough cough).  My brother and mother have Canon EOS Rebels and they like theirs too.  My brother takes pics of his kids and my Mom likes to take pictures of her garden and the birds that visit it.  I find that they are a bit light-- it's purely emotional, but I like a bit of heft to my camera.

I chose Nikon because it has something called "D Lighting".  This means that even if an item is backlit and dark in the foreground won't lose detail and can be enhanced later in the editiing process, if you want.  That's only very recently become important to me, despite my buying the camera years ago.

I use it for landscape photos primarily and use the kit lens.   Otherwise, I agree with PastryGoddess in talking to a person in a camera store-- I found that they ask complicated questions, but they dumbed things down enough that eventually I figured out what I liked and wanted.  I also only use the built-in flash, when I use a flash, which I find I rarely have to do because the light sensors are so good.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:48:09 PM »
spooky if you are a neglectful charger, I would recommend buying a battery grip.  You get an extra battery and you can shoot in portrait mode and still manipulate the camera settings

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519905-REG/Nikon_25359_MB_D10_Multi_Power_Battery_Grip.html

jtimenow

« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:35:34 PM »
Thanks. I think I'm going to go to the camera store this weekend and discuss. I think I can actually make an appointment to go over things.