Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1831757 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18600 on: July 18, 2014, 06:23:48 PM »
Hannelore and Erling.  Both male, if I remember correctly.  Very striking names!

The only Hannelore I know is a comic character, who is female. I do like the name though.

IMissItaly

« Reply #18601 on: July 18, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »
Today I ran across Alyvia, Brynley and Mickensy - all members of the same family.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18602 on: July 19, 2014, 01:19:11 AM »
Hannelore and Erling.  Both male, if I remember correctly.  Very striking names!

Hannelore is German and usually a girl's name.  Erling is a Nordic boy's name.  I like both, and I agree:  very striking!
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Addy

« Reply #18603 on: July 19, 2014, 05:08:05 AM »

Hannelore is German and usually a girl's name.  Erling is a Nordic boy's name.  I like both, and I agree:  very striking!

Ooh, I like Hannelore, it's similar to the increasingly popular Hannah, but different, and a little softer, IMO. I was never fond of the name Hannah, as I always think of the song, Hard-Hearted Hannah.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #18604 on: July 19, 2014, 09:58:39 PM »
I was browsing Pinterest and saw a cute idea for a dress up corner. The comment on the pin was "need for Dafne's roon"

Dafne

It's the Spanish- and thus legitimate- form of Daphne.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #18605 on: July 21, 2014, 01:40:06 AM »

Ooh, I like Hannelore, it's similar to the increasingly popular Hannah, but different, and a little softer, IMO. I was never fond of the name Hannah, as I always think of the song, Hard-Hearted Hannah.
There's an Afrikaans version of that name "Hannalee" which I quite like.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18606 on: July 21, 2014, 12:39:20 PM »

There's an Afrikaans version of that name "Hannalee" which I quite like.

Hannalee reminds me more of a magical place in the Puff the Magic Dragon song.
"Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honnah Lee .."
;-D

GreenHall

« Reply #18607 on: July 21, 2014, 01:08:53 PM »
I actually had to google the lyrics to Puff the Magic Dragon this morning, because of the same thing...

crankycat

« Reply #18608 on: July 21, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »

My female allergist's name is Hannelore.

Army Mom

« Reply #18609 on: July 21, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »
A couple of hundred pages ago, I posted about Chloe who insisted it was pronounced "shy-low. I saw a legal notice in the local paper, she changed her name to Shiloh.
I've always liked the name Chloe but hey I guess she didn't!

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18610 on: July 22, 2014, 07:47:50 AM »
A couple of hundred pages ago, I posted about Chloe who insisted it was pronounced "shy-low. I saw a legal notice in the local paper, she changed her name to Shiloh.

It took a great deal of squinting to get 'shy-low' from Chloe!
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Army Mom

« Reply #18611 on: July 22, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »

It took a great deal of squinting to get 'shy-low' from Chloe!

I know! But she would correct you if you said Chloe

BeagleMommy

« Reply #18612 on: July 22, 2014, 04:09:20 PM »
We had a student named Chervantes.  At first I thought her parents had misspelled the author of Don Quixote - you know Cervantes.  Nope.  Her name is pronounced Shah-VON-tay.  Ooooookay.

We had another student whose first name was Truly.  Her last name?  Chance.  I wish I was making that up.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #18613 on: Yesterday at 07:37:28 PM »
We had another student whose first name was Truly.  Her last name?  Chance.  I wish I was making that up.

Heh...I just posted on FB last night that I received a little toad as a wildlife rehab case who'd arrived in a shipment from Florida. The destination of the shipment was the Truly Nolen company, which is a well known (in some areas of the US) pest-control company. The company was named after its founder.

The origin of the shipment was the Really Innovations company, which was founded by Really Nolen, Truly's brother.

There is a female family member named Sincere Leigh.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona