Author Topic: Silly Reasons You Dumped Someone  (Read 10993 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Silly Reasons You Dumped Someone
« Reply #180 on: Today at 05:33:17 PM »
Joe - Joe or maybe it was spelled JoJo. Any how, I couldn't get passed a grown man with that name.

<threadjack> *snicker* I immediately thought of: "Prince Jojo was the younger son of a younger son with no property to speak of." The book is "Sleeping Ugly" by Jane Yolen, it's a charming re-telling of the Sleeping Beauty story.</threadjack>

Who leaps to my mind is Mojo Jojo from the Powerpuff Girls.   ;D

Mooooojoooo Jojo!  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #181 on: Today at 05:40:59 PM »
Joe - Joe or maybe it was spelled JoJo. Any how, I couldn't get passed a grown man with that name.

<threadjack> *snicker* I immediately thought of: "Prince Jojo was the younger son of a younger son with no property to speak of." The book is "Sleeping Ugly" by Jane Yolen, it's a charming re-telling of the Sleeping Beauty story.</threadjack>

Who leaps to my mind is Mojo Jojo from the Powerpuff Girls.   ;D

For me it's the Richard Pryor movie Jojo Dancer Your Life Is Calling.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #182 on: Today at 06:51:14 PM »
I posted that I dumped someone  over a name, both my father's and brother's names to be exact. However, there was also  Joe - Joe or maybe it was spelled JoJo. Any how, I couldn't get passed a grown man with that name. Sure, it's cute for a toddler, but not a twenty something year old. He refused to allow anyone to call him just Joe.
Was he a junior by chance? I've known grown men with childish sounding names they picked up in childhood because their real name was the same as an older close family member. For example Joseph LastName, Jr. was always called JoJo. And now I have flashbacks of the TV show Bonanza/Little Joe.

Growing up I had a family friend everyone called Two-ey -- he was George LastName, Jr.  We moved away when I was still young but I do hope that at least by junior high or high school he stopped being called that. It was cute when he was five, but would not be so cute at 15.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #183 on: Today at 07:23:17 PM »
We're straying off topic, but my MIL's family insists on naming their children names they are never called during their childhood until they start school. I am constantly baffled by this practice.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #184 on: Today at 08:42:05 PM »
Lazydaisy, JoJo was not a junior or a third and as far as I know no one else in the family had the given name of Joseph.  Best I could tell, it was just some cutesie nickname.

FTR, some years later, he now goes by Joe. The reason why? Because he couldn't get/keep a job and no one would take him seriously (his words on the subject).  It only took him 7-8 years to come to the conclusion on his own, though I told him the same thing about 15 years ago.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Peppergirl

« Reply #185 on: Today at 11:26:58 PM »
Back in the mid-80's when Drakkar Noir cologne came out, my mom bought some for my dad and he wore it a lot.

Then guys my age (teenagers, back then) started wearing religiously, which reminded me of my dad.  Hence, a deal-breaker as far as a date. :)

greencat

« Reply #186 on: Today at 11:41:51 PM »
I dumped a guy, who I might have otherwise gone on several more dates with, after the second date because he made this strange noise -like Gollum - when he was breathing.  I couldn't deal with it, especially because he never offered an explanation, and I didn't feel comfortable asking at that point.  I think our schedules would probably have prevented us from dating further, since I was starting a new job with irregular hours and his job required him to travel for weeks at a time, but I still feel kind of bad about the breathing noise being the issue.