Author Topic: S/O Awesome Book Titles - Off-putting book titles  (Read 1344 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: S/O Awesome Book Titles - Off-putting book titles
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »
The  Illustrated Catalogue of the Rotheschild Collection of Fleas.

Everyone needs a hobby, I suppose: the super-keen entomologist N.C. Rothschild (1877 - 1923) just happened to be fascinated by all aspects of fleas -- a passion inherited and carried on, by his daughter Miriam.  Not a first-choice avocation for most of us...

I gather that NCR eagerly and generously rewarded contacts worldwide, for new flea specimens for his collection.  There's a tale of an explorer-type who submitted such an item, and received for it a cheque for a substantial sum, from NCR.  The guy chose never to bank the cheque, but to frame and keep it as a memento of the marvellous silliness of the situation: a cheque from the fabulously wealthy Rothschild banking house, for a flea.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »
One that came up in my Bookbub email today: The Marquess of Cake.

Bethczar

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »
Birth Control is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!! Paperback January 2, 2008
by Eliyzabeth Yanne Strong-Anderson (Author)
   271 customer reviews
ISBN-13: 978-1425992606  ISBN-10: 1425992609
Buy New
Price: $140.11
648 pages

Don't read the book- read the Amazon reviews. Hilarious!

I previewed a snippet. Almost unreadable. Literally. All capitals. Bad punctuation. Terrible Grammar. Who would pay that much for such an amateurish product?
My favorite comment: "Does it come in English?"

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 09:52:30 AM »
The  Illustrated Catalogue of the Rotheschild Collection of Fleas.

Everyone needs a hobby, I suppose: the super-keen entomologist N.C. Rothschild (1877 - 1923) just happened to be fascinated by all aspects of fleas -- a passion inherited and carried on, by his daughter Miriam.  Not a first-choice avocation for most of us...

I gather that NCR eagerly and generously rewarded contacts worldwide, for new flea specimens for his collection.  There's a tale of an explorer-type who submitted such an item, and received for it a cheque for a substantial sum, from NCR.  The guy chose never to bank the cheque, but to frame and keep it as a memento of the marvellous silliness of the situation: a cheque from the fabulously wealthy Rothschild banking house, for a flea.

It's not all for fun - I was watching a documentary recently on the various plant and animal diseases caused or transmitted by mites. Turns out the little critters cause untold millions of dollars of damage.

Part of the problem with combatting them is that there are so many species with little known about their habits or ecology. In an interview, one researcher sighed, "If only we had the equivalent of the Rothschild Book of Fleas for mites!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cabbageweevil

« Reply #19 on: Today at 10:44:55 AM »
It would seem that the world needs mite-geeks as enthusiastic about their little friends, as the Rothschilds were about theirs.  How about The Illustrated Mite Catalogue -- an Enemy Worthy of our Steel?  That might perhaps, though, be getting out of "off-putting", and toward "inspiring", title category...