News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 30, 2015, 07:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unusual food/drink preparations that other's may not have heard about  (Read 9234 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Unusual food/drink preparations that other's may not have heard about
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2015, 11:34:41 AM »
We ate those peaches for years.  I don't know if you can even find canned peaches in heavy syrup any more.

It is more difficult for me to find canned fruit in juice. Canned half peaches in heavy syrup is widely available.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2015, 03:10:44 PM »
When I was in grade school, I read a book in which the protagonist loved peanut butter and lettuce sandwiches.  Intrigued, I tried one for myself, and from that day on, I have never eaten a PB sandwich any other way.  The lettuce adds crispness and moisture; it's delicious.  In later years, my favorite sandwich evolved to become mesquite turkey, spicy mustard, PB, and lettuce.  It's a great combination of flavors, but since I have been trying to stick to a vegetarian way of life, I don't eat those any longer. 

I loved A-1 sauce as a kid, and would eat it on saltine crackers. 

In college, we frequented a pub that gave out free, delicious popcorn. In time, I came to discover that popcorn dipped in draft beer was a real taste treat.  Not quite as extreme as my then-bff, who loved dropping Resse's Pieces in her beer.   ;)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
Pretzel bagels with strawberry cream cheese. My new favorite!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »
When I was a small child my Mother always served creamed chicken on a slice of white bread.  Then, I read a book in which the little girl heroine ate creamed chicken over mashed potatoes.  That became the family standard. 

A bit further along, Mom heard about serving it over chow mein noodles. That was considered the height of sophistication but even my father liked it. 

cattlekid

« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2015, 01:36:52 PM »
My MIL only puts generic Cool Whip in her coffee.  Just about the same ingredients as coffee creamer, I suppose (with the addition of stabilizer) and multipurpose.

Mocha or vanilla ice cream in coffee. Yum.
I was out of coffee creamer this morning so I put a couple spoonfuls of vanilla ice cream in my coffee.  It was very tasty!

POF

« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2015, 06:43:44 PM »
I htink I would like the Branston Pickle in mashed potato.  I like sauerkraut mixed into mashers.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »
My mother also did the rice, sugar, and milk as dessert.  Best when the rice is still warm.   :)

Was it ever served for an upset stomach? I was travelling and had morning sickness some time ago, and at one restaurant a very thoughtful waiter offered rice with sugar to help me feel better. I had never heard of such a thing, but since I'm from the US and this happened in Italy, I figured it was just one of those geographic/culture differences.

I haven't thought about this in years. My mom used to occassionally serve white rice with gravy. I didn't like gravy so shed sprinkle a little sugar over my rice. Grossed my older sisters out, but I l fed it. Never thought about it being similar in flavor to,rice pudding.