News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 28, 2015, 07:50:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 365582 times)

Firecat

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #2895 on: August 26, 2015, 08:46:59 AM »
Mercedes Lackey is absolutely terrible about continuity. She needs a no-holds-barred not afraid to point out these issues editor. Example: in one of the Joust books Kiron's sister gets two different names in two pages. Ridiculous! Then in the fourth book her name is something completely different.

She does have continuity issues; I enjoy her stuff anyway, though. I'll have to go back and look again - I thought Kiron had more than one sister originally, but only got reunited with one sister and his mother. My favorite continuity issue is the issue of Alberich's retirement (or not) in the Valdemar books.
Yeah his brain-damaged sister. First she's Dershela (I think) then the next page she's Dargala or something then in the fourth book she's Lotus-at or domethng like that.

His mother is Letis; I think that, by the 4th book, the brain-damaged sister was Iris. I'd have to check to see what she's called in the first book.

nuit93

« Reply #2896 on: August 26, 2015, 02:08:55 PM »
One of my peeves is where characters are described with unrealistic attributes or physical descriptions.

The best example I can currently think of is Anita Blake. 5'3", 110 lbs, curvy, muscular, very well endowed, over the DDD range. No way would she only weigh 110 lbs.  None. Zero. Nada. At minimum, I'd expect closer to 130-140 lbs, possibly even more. 

Also, it annoys me when an author can't keep consistent background or physical description going...switching around heights, eye color, orphaned/not, etc.

And AB was so well endowed that she wasn't able to cross her arms over her chest...
Hmm...I cross my arms under my bosom. Even if I raise my arms up, there's about 5" of clearance.
And I'm not flatchested.  >:D

Ditto, although it's more like three inches clearance for me.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2897 on: August 26, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
My continuity worst offender is Susan Wittig Albert's Beatrix Potter series. First, a character is wearing violet perfume. Ten pages later (still in the same scene) it's lilac. In one book, a character is named Felicia, next book she's Felicity. There were a lot of things like this and it really put me off.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

SpottedPony

« Reply #2898 on: Yesterday at 03:37:33 PM »
My continuity worst offender is Susan Wittig Albert's Beatrix Potter series. First, a character is wearing violet perfume. Ten pages later (still in the same scene) it's lilac. In one book, a character is named Felicia, next book she's Felicity. There were a lot of things like this and it really put me off.

Yes, and when the domesticated animals started wearing clothing.  The long haired GP who wore a vest with pockets for his brush and glasses and the bonnet and cap wearing duck who also knit, and no one noticed or commented on the clothes wearing.  The wild animals, I could understand, the humans never really saw them. 

Spotted Pony