News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 23, 2015, 03:23:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Current job hunting ehellions - story sharing thread  (Read 9196 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Current job hunting ehellions - story sharing thread
« Reply #120 on: Yesterday at 03:47:54 PM »
What about for phone interviews? I've been on the market a couple times in the last year, and the vast vast majority of interviews have come to me via recruiters - so until I go in for an in-person interview, I might not have any idea of how to contact the relevant people directly.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: Yesterday at 04:00:06 PM »
I think the emailed thank-you has taken off in the last 7 or so years. When I was in a position to do hiring 10 years ago, I maybe got one handwritten thank-you per position I was interviewing for. The thank-yous usually came from people who were not in the running for the job after their interviews, and did nothing to sway the opinions of the interviewing committee.

But more and more, I'm seeing the thank-you as an expectation, and as can be seen from CharlieBraun's post, a necessity for some companies. IMO, rejecting an otherwise qualified candidate because they didn't email a thank-you is not a good idea, but this isn't the first time I've heard of it happening. So I think there will be more and more job searchers sending thank-you emails, because there is no way of knowing which companies demand them and which don't.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #122 on: Yesterday at 08:33:53 PM »
If I do a phone interview, I will ask for someone's email when we are setting it up.  I then send a thank you email.

Jaelle

« Reply #123 on: Yesterday at 10:01:30 PM »
I asked a friend who works for this (very large) company, albeit in a different department, about the thank you notes, figuring she knows the culture there. She responded that she thought it was simply basic interview etiquette. (I was somewhat embarrassed. I'd really never heard of it!) So, I sent off thank-you emails, which would have gone out about 24 hours after the interview. I hope that was in time.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites