Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 565118 times)

dawbs

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1020 on: May 29, 2013, 11:52:26 AM »
Dear

We have finally succeeded in getting your package worthy of $2.5million out of delivery your consignment with the help of MR. John Mark Attorney General of Federal High Court of Justice Benin which act as your foreign Attorney representative here in Benin .We are waiting you to contact with all information (diplomat.morganjames@live.com) so that Diplomatic agent Mr.Morgan James will proceed to deliver your consignment box today to your home address.

Regards
Rev.Dogulas morrison
telephone..+229 9938 6874

I'm so excited!  What do you guess my package contains?

I will admit I never even heard of Benin (a republic in Africa apparently). Now, I have never traveled outside the U.S. If I got a letter from somewhere in Africa, from someone I have never heard of, telling me they wanted to give me millions of dollars for no reason... ??? ::)...
WHO BELIEVES THIS? EVER?? Seriously! I mean sure it's nice to dream about but IT. DOES. NOT. HAPPEN. Random strangers do not want to give other random strangers millions of dollars for no reason with no strings attached.
I know times are tough and it sucks to not have money, but who is desperate enough to fall for this? I can't get my brain around it.

If anyone wants you to give them money before they will give you money, then you are just going to lose your money. Period. Anything legit does not involve fees. And doesn't come from strangers in a country you've never been to. ::)

I've actually been told that's some of the point.

These scams are free to send out, essentially.  And they are SOOooo poorly written, SOooo out there--they raise every reasonable person's red-flags.  So the scammer knows the sucker who finally responds isn't a reasonable person who will be scared off by reasonable people's red flags.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1021 on: May 29, 2013, 12:45:31 PM »
Some friends of mine are being entertained by some thieves/scammers. They had a break in about a year ago at their home - among other things taken was their PS3. They had saved their netflix information on it, and didn't reset the password or anything (honestly, they said they just forgot they'd saved it). The police have yet to recover any of the goods, and it's suspected that they were given/sold to friends of the burglars.

They noticed that their 'suggested' queue was full of bizarre stuff suddenly. Turns out, the current users of their PS3 are USING THEIR (my friends) NETFLIX ACCOUNT. My friends are big fans of indie films and Gordon Ramsey - they're getting recommendations for mostly African American oriented, gangs and s3x and violence, really awful stuff. Things that make Tyler Perry look like Shakespeare. My friends are, incidentally, African American themselves, but the movies these people are watching are such stereotypically trashy things that no one in their house had even heard of most of it, and only when they started looking for the titles 'recently watched' on IMDB did they realize what was being watched.

The police department is very interested in this - and thanks to netflix's customer service folks and a handy subpoena, the gravy train is about to end for some folks. My friends just want their PS3 back - they have saved games they want to play some more!
Funnily enough, there's currently a news story in South Africa about a cell phone thief (and mugger/kidnapper/hijacker) who took a photo of himself and uploaded it to the former cell phone owner's WhatsApp profile. And his photo is now being splashed ALL OVER the internet and newspapers here and the police are very interested in having a little chat with him.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Is-this-SAs-dumbest-thief-20130528
Ha, the same thing happened to my cousin last year.

Her phone was stolen from her bag, and the next day she found new photos on her Dropbox. Of course she shared those with everyone on Facebook. Then the thief recorded a video of himself dancing in front of a mirror, vey silly moves and all, and it spread all over as well. It must have reached some of the thieves friends eventually, because a couple of days later my cousin received a call from the police station that someone had returned her phone there.

Quick tip, rather than a story: There is an Android App called Lookout that does malware scans and backup. Also, if you have a lock code set on your phone (and a front-facing camera), and someone enters the wrong code 3 times, it takes a pic of them and emails it to you (without telling them). And you can tell it to do what it calls a "signal flare" - when the battery is just about to die, it uses GPS to get the location and emails that info to you. Potentially very handy features.

I am sure there are other apps that do the same thing, I just happen to know about that one and thought I would share.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1022 on: May 29, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »
I also use Lookout security on my phone.

Reader

« Reply #1023 on: May 29, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »
I just got a spam text to my phone talking about some mystery weight loss product, where the message basically acted like we were old friends.  I just deleted it, since I was worried about extra text charges should I respond back to mess with them.  But it would have been so fun, as I'm trying to gain weight not lose any.

NyaChan

« Reply #1024 on: May 29, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »
I just got a spam text to my phone talking about some mystery weight loss product, where the message basically acted like we were old friends.  I just deleted it, since I was worried about extra text charges should I respond back to mess with them.  But it would have been so fun, as I'm trying to gain weight not lose any.

I got that too!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1025 on: May 29, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »
William Shatner just posted on facebook that a company has announced he is in a new project with them, one he has never heard of. Scammers are equal-opportunists it seems.

I wanted to make folks aware of this. I have been contacted by investors who are being solicited by a company named Intercept films to invest in a movie called: Short Sale There Goes the Neighborhood. The company's claim is that I am involved in this project. They have a website and a video on YouTube making this claim. I have never heard of this company nor am I involved in any way with this company or production. My best, Bill
[/color]

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1026 on: May 29, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »
The film company had a YouTube promo up about it (now removed) and a claim that "Shooting starts in the spring starring William Shatner, James Caan, Steve Buscemi and Heather Graham."

Last November Variety reported that
Lawrence Guterman is on board to direct indie comedy “Short Sale,” with shooting set for late spring.

The movie will be produced by Intercept Entertainment, Floyd Byars, Jon Paul, and Tova Laiter.

The film is to shot by cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond and written by Byars.

Story centers on a brilliant mediator and his schoolteacher wife who buy the house of their dreams, only to discover that their neighbors are less than desired.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1027 on: May 29, 2013, 04:29:50 PM »
I have now seen the same scammer twice at the same place. Not mere coincidence, it seems.

I noticed an older (60's) man with long grey hair in clothes that look like he does mechanic work or something similar. He was stopping to talk to everyone that was filling their gas tanks, with a lit cigarette in his hand, gesturing wildly. I thought it was odd the first time, and was going to call the store back later to report it, but I forgot. Today, I saw him again. Stopping to talk to other people with his cigarette lit at the gas pumps. I don't know what his game is, but I think I will give them a call.

snappylt

« Reply #1028 on: May 29, 2013, 04:52:07 PM »
I have now seen the same scammer twice at the same place. Not mere coincidence, it seems.

I noticed an older (60's) man with long grey hair in clothes that look like he does mechanic work or something similar. He was stopping to talk to everyone that was filling their gas tanks, with a lit cigarette in his hand, gesturing wildly. I thought it was odd the first time, and was going to call the store back later to report it, but I forgot. Today, I saw him again. Stopping to talk to other people with his cigarette lit at the gas pumps. I don't know what his game is, but I think I will give them a call.

I agree with you about reporting that - the lit cigarette near the gasoline sounds very dangerous to me.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1029 on: May 29, 2013, 05:01:03 PM »
I called and the manager said they have had that happen a few times and they have a shut-off switch near the registers for that kind of situation. He also said they have had other calls about this guy.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1030 on: May 29, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
cwm wrote:

"I couldn't call my bank because I couldn't call international, and they couldn't call me because my cell phone wouldn't work. I ended up having to email my mom to get me some money by Western Union and paying her back."

Oh, man, she actually fell for that old scam?!?  You should have a talk with her.  >:D

Virg

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #1031 on: May 29, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »
Good news!  DH just got a phone message that said we get a $200 credit on our cell phone account.  All we have to do is go to a website that is not affiliated with our actual cell phone company and give them a bunch of personal information!  :D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Jules1980

« Reply #1032 on: May 29, 2013, 09:02:35 PM »
And I hate to be Debby Downer, but just  because he's raised the amount that they told other family members they would sell the house for doesn't mean they'll actually sell it to him.  Just for spite.

I wondered that too.

The cynical part of me thinks that the autistic brother probably gets a disability check and that's what the sister wants custody of.  I know I have no proof, but selling off her father's land then trying to take his house to strong arm him into giving up just reeks of something not right.  If the father was in anyway a danger to the brother, she could have protective services help her get custody of him.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1033 on: May 29, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »
My university is currently under a DNS attack, and our internet speed is slow, almost as bad as dial-up. Makes it very hard for me to get my work done, as everything is internet based.

That is a pain. My district had been the subject of Denial of Service attacks 3 or 4 times this year.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Iris

« Reply #1034 on: May 30, 2013, 04:00:30 AM »
Dear

We have finally succeeded in getting your package worthy of $2.5million out of delivery your consignment with the help of MR. John Mark Attorney General of Federal High Court of Justice Benin which act as your foreign Attorney representative here in Benin .We are waiting you to contact with all information (diplomat.morganjames@live.com) so that Diplomatic agent Mr.Morgan James will proceed to deliver your consignment box today to your home address.

Regards
Rev.Dogulas morrison
telephone..+229 9938 6874

I'm so excited!  What do you guess my package contains?

I will admit I never even heard of Benin (a republic in Africa apparently). Now, I have never traveled outside the U.S. If I got a letter from somewhere in Africa, from someone I have never heard of, telling me they wanted to give me millions of dollars for no reason... ??? ::)...
WHO BELIEVES THIS? EVER?? Seriously! I mean sure it's nice to dream about but IT. DOES. NOT. HAPPEN. Random strangers do not want to give other random strangers millions of dollars for no reason with no strings attached.
I know times are tough and it sucks to not have money, but who is desperate enough to fall for this? I can't get my brain around it.

If anyone wants you to give them money before they will give you money, then you are just going to lose your money. Period. Anything legit does not involve fees. And doesn't come from strangers in a country you've never been to. ::)

I've actually been told that's some of the point.

These scams are free to send out, essentially.  And they are SOOooo poorly written, SOooo out there--they raise every reasonable person's red-flags.  So the scammer knows the sucker who finally responds isn't a reasonable person who will be scared off by reasonable people's red flags.

I read that too. The theory went that if they sent out something reasonably plausible they'd get a bunch of regular people replying, who would then require the investment of further time as the scam advanced and almost certainly never lead to a payout. The way it is now only very gullible or ignorant people would reply, and that's exactly who they want.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.