Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 713853 times)

cwm

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1035 on: May 30, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »
Dear

We have finally succeeded in getting your package worthy of $2.5million out of delivery your consignment with the help of MR. John Mark Attorney General of Federal High Court of Justice Benin which act as your foreign Attorney representative here in Benin .We are waiting you to contact with all information (diplomat.morganjames@live.com) so that Diplomatic agent Mr.Morgan James will proceed to deliver your consignment box today to your home address.

Regards
Rev.Dogulas morrison
telephone..+229 9938 6874

I'm so excited!  What do you guess my package contains?

I will admit I never even heard of Benin (a republic in Africa apparently). Now, I have never traveled outside the U.S. If I got a letter from somewhere in Africa, from someone I have never heard of, telling me they wanted to give me millions of dollars for no reason... ??? ::)...
WHO BELIEVES THIS? EVER?? Seriously! I mean sure it's nice to dream about but IT. DOES. NOT. HAPPEN. Random strangers do not want to give other random strangers millions of dollars for no reason with no strings attached.
I know times are tough and it sucks to not have money, but who is desperate enough to fall for this? I can't get my brain around it.

If anyone wants you to give them money before they will give you money, then you are just going to lose your money. Period. Anything legit does not involve fees. And doesn't come from strangers in a country you've never been to. ::)

I've actually been told that's some of the point.

These scams are free to send out, essentially.  And they are SOOooo poorly written, SOooo out there--they raise every reasonable person's red-flags.  So the scammer knows the sucker who finally responds isn't a reasonable person who will be scared off by reasonable people's red flags.

I read that too. The theory went that if they sent out something reasonably plausible they'd get a bunch of regular people replying, who would then require the investment of further time as the scam advanced and almost certainly never lead to a payout. The way it is now only very gullible or ignorant people would reply, and that's exactly who they want.

Also, it's free to send out all those emails, so even if they only have 1/2 of 1% of people respond, that's still free money to them. That's why so many people get these, if they blanket everyone who has an email address, if one person responds and gives them money, they've "won", in a way.

chibichan

« Reply #1036 on: May 30, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »
Dear

We have finally succeeded in getting your package worthy of $2.5million out of delivery your consignment with the help of MR. John Mark Attorney General of Federal High Court of Justice Benin which act as your foreign Attorney representative here in Benin .We are waiting you to contact with all information (diplomat.morganjames@live.com) so that Diplomatic agent Mr.Morgan James will proceed to deliver your consignment box today to your home address.

Regards
Rev.Dogulas morrison

I will admit I never even heard of Benin (a republic in Africa apparently). Now, I have never traveled outside the U.S. If I got a letter from somewhere in Africa, from someone I have never heard of, telling me they wanted to give me millions of dollars for no reason... ??? ::)...
WHO BELIEVES THIS? EVER?? Seriously! I mean sure it's nice to dream about but IT. DOES. NOT. HAPPEN. Random strangers do not want to give other random strangers millions of dollars for no reason with no strings attached.
I know times are tough and it sucks to not have money, but who is desperate enough to fall for this? I can't get my brain around it.

If anyone wants you to give them money before they will give you money, then you are just going to lose your money. Period. Anything legit does not involve fees. And doesn't come from strangers in a country you've never been to. ::)

These scams are free to send out, essentially.  And they are SOOooo poorly written, SOooo out there--they raise every reasonable person's red-flags.  So the scammer knows the sucker who finally responds isn't a reasonable person who will be scared off by reasonable people's red flags.

I read that too. The theory went that if they sent out something reasonably plausible they'd get a bunch of regular people replying, who would then require the investment of further time as the scam advanced and almost certainly never lead to a payout. The way it is now only very gullible or ignorant people would reply, and that's exactly who they want.

Also, it's free to send out all those emails, so even if they only have 1/2 of 1% of people respond, that's still free money to them. That's why so many people get these, if they blanket everyone who has an email address, if one person responds and gives them money, they've "won", in a way.

I can't get over the fact that it came from a guy named Dogulas . ;D

I do notice that a lot of scammers tend to use 2 first names in their scam mails , i.e : Mr. John Thomas , Mr. Stephan David , Rev. Donald Frank .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1037 on: May 30, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
Dear

Regards
Rev.Dogulas morrison

I do notice that a lot of scammers tend to use 2 first names in their scam mails , i.e : Mr. John Thomas , Mr. Stephan David , Rev. Donald Frank .

*snerk*

Iris

« Reply #1038 on: May 30, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »
Dear

Regards
Rev.Dogulas morrison

*snerk*

Not just me, then? Good.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1039 on: May 31, 2013, 12:06:11 AM »
Dear

Regards
Rev.Dogulas morrison

*snerk*

Not just me, then? Good.

Given that many of these email come from Nigeria, and the current president of Nigeria is named "Goodluck Jonathan", it's possible that those are perfectly valid last names in parts of Nigeria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodluck_Jonathan
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1040 on: May 31, 2013, 01:13:57 PM »
I have never had a problem purchasing a car.  I work for the DMV (we license car dealers -- and we shut them down, too), and I walk in wearing my work badge.  Also, the dealership I used to go to all the time closed (Pontiac dealer).  I had an appointment to test drive a Chevy Cruze, but I called the DMV branch that handles the new dealer's paperwork.  You can tell a lot about a dealership from the quality of their paperwork, and if they try to pressure you to put through garbage.  New place is very good however, and I am happy.

For a while, I was getting friend requests from Facebook for X rated spambots.  Even if I reported one, several more would always try to pop up.  So I started accepting the friend requests, and once I was able, I would post public messages on their wall: I heard you got VD!  or "Did you manage to get your open sores to stop oozing?"  or "I heard you just had to have all your teeth pulled, and the dentures you got keep falling out.  I told you meth kills teeth!"

They all defriended me within 24 hours. :'(  And now I don't get any friend requests from the spambots.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1041 on: May 31, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
I had an appointment to test drive a Chevy Cruze, but I called the DMV branch that handles the new dealer's paperwork.  You can tell a lot about a dealership from the quality of their paperwork, and if they try to pressure you to put through garbage.
I have not idea if the dealer paperwork is considered pubic information where you live, but in my state, DMV workers have lost jobs for looking at files for anything other than official business.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1042 on: May 31, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »
nutraxfornerves wrote:

"I have not idea if the dealer paperwork is considered pubic information where you live, but in my state, DMV workers have lost jobs for looking at files for anything other than official business."

This wouldn't require seeing any paperwork.  pierrotlunaire0 could just call the branch and, being a coworker, she could ask them if the paperwork they've handled for Dealer X is proper.  Their answer wouldn't need to contain specifics, just an advisement as to whether the dealership did a good job with their filings.

Virg

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1043 on: May 31, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
nutraxfornerves wrote:

"I have not idea if the dealer paperwork is considered pubic information where you live, but in my state, DMV workers have lost jobs for looking at files for anything other than official business."

This wouldn't require seeing any paperwork.  pierrotlunaire0 could just call the branch and, being a coworker, she could ask them if the paperwork they've handled for Dealer X is proper.  Their answer wouldn't need to contain specifics, just an advisement as to whether the dealership did a good job with their filings.

Virg

Virg,

That is it in a nutshell.  I wasn't asking for anyone's information, but more of a: How do you feel about this dealer?  The answer was - they meet all deadlines, they pay all fees, they don't whine or cajole to get us to break the rules (like releasing private information).

Nutraxfornerves, I understand that you misunderstood what I was attempting to say, but the law is the same where I live, and no, I do not break the law and brag about it on the internet.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1044 on: May 31, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
pierrotlunaire0 wrote:

"and no, I do not break the law and brag about it on the internet."

Because that would just be Three Cars Crazy.  Oh, wait...

Virg

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1045 on: May 31, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »
pierrotlunaire0 wrote:

"and no, I do not break the law and brag about it on the internet."

Because that would just be Three Cars Crazy.  Oh, wait...

Virg

Ooh, my own tag line coming back to haunt me! 

You just made me laugh out loud!

snappylt

« Reply #1046 on: May 31, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »
I was rude to a caller yesterday.

She had a very thick Eastern-European-sounding accent and seemed to be reading from a script - except it sounded like she couldn't read English well.  (Her timing and intonation all sounded "off".)

She told me she was calling from the US Department of Energy and started to read her script, but I interrupted her.  I told her that it was hard for me to believe her that she was really a US government employee calling from a US government office.  She insisted she was.  So then I asked to please speak with her supervisor - and she suddenly hung up on me.

I'm guessing that she was a scammer and that my rudeness (interrupting and asking for her supervisor) was OK by other e-hellers?

Amava

« Reply #1047 on: May 31, 2013, 07:13:44 PM »
I was rude to a caller yesterday.

She had a very thick Eastern-European-sounding accent and seemed to be reading from a script - except it sounded like she couldn't read English well.  (Her timing and intonation all sounded "off".)

She told me she was calling from the US Department of Energy and started to read her script, but I interrupted her.  I told her that it was hard for me to believe her that she was really a US government employee calling from a US government office.  She insisted she was.  So then I asked to please speak with her supervisor - and she suddenly hung up on me.

I'm guessing that she was a scammer and that my rudeness (interrupting and asking for her supervisor) was OK by other e-hellers?
I don't think etiquette requires you to believe what an unknown caller tells you on the phone.
Now if you actually mentioned her language problems and said "No way someone with such a lack of English skills works for the Government",  /that/ would have been rude, but to question her identity without giving a specific reason is in my opinion not rude. I assume you didn't swear or yell? Then I think you were just fine.

Barney girl

« Reply #1048 on: June 01, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »
Did any other UK E-Hellers hear Radio 4's You and Yours on Thursday? They were interviewing someone who fell for the Windows scam. She sounded a nice, sensible woman, but as she said, she wasn't IT literate, so when she saw the error messages they told her about she believed there really was a problem. She paid something like 230 for a lifetime cure and they would ring back every so often to check how things were going, find another problem, and charge for sorting that. I think she then complained about this, at which point the "FBI Fraud squad" got in touch. They could catch the scammers by making a payment of 500 and tracing it. This happened a few times. She said everyone was very friendly and helpful. I missed the end as I was driving to a meeting, but she believed she had lost about 64,000. It just seems to have been so easy, small amounts, nothing too much to raise her suspicions. It was quite scary how she had been sucked in.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1049 on: June 01, 2013, 12:05:49 PM »
RE: the "government worker" with the poor command of English.

Most of these are announcements that you have been awarded a government grant of several thousand dollars, out of the blue, for some not-exactly-plausible reason like you pay your taxes on time.

They just need either your banking information or a credit card to take care of the "processing fee." Some people have been scammed out of several processing fees, in the usual 419 scam fashion.

Sometimes, instead of the fee, they ask for the banking details so they can do direct deposit of all that swell money. Of course, it will be a direct withdrawal instead.

Some are pretty sophisticated, spoofing a Washington DC area code for caller ID and referring you to fake web sites they have set up. 

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data