Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 610103 times)

eltf177

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1320 on: July 10, 2013, 08:49:56 AM »
Question: How much is 10% of a bad check? :P

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1321 on: July 10, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
6 months in federal prison and 5 years parole.

amylouky

« Reply #1322 on: July 10, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
6 months in federal prison and 5 years parole.

But, if you only get 10%.. is that ~18 days prison and 6 months parole?   :D

magician5

« Reply #1323 on: July 10, 2013, 03:20:44 PM »
Is the branch office located in a post office box in Nigeria?
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Coralreef

« Reply #1324 on: July 10, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »
I get phone calls showing "Private Caller" and hear silence or breathing and then they hang up.  What's that all about?
He can't tell you because it's, you know, private;)

[/right

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1325 on: July 10, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »
I want to get calls from "pirate caller".

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #1326 on: July 10, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »
Is the branch office located in a post office box in Nigeria?

lol...human resources is apparently located in Beloit, WI. It says it is for ABC Supply Co, founded in 1982. The little introductory blurb says, "...revolutionized the roofing material distribution business.  In the process, the company has grown to be a more than $4 billion enterprise with exterior building material stores across the United States serving the needs of the professional contractor. Our flagship brands include Steep Slope Roofing, Low Slope Roofing, Roofing Accessories, Siding, Stucco, Windows & Doors, Gutters/Rain ware, Decking, Tools & Equipment."

No word about my actual branch office though!

cwm

« Reply #1327 on: July 10, 2013, 04:34:18 PM »
I want to get calls from "pirate caller".

If/when I change my cell phone company, I might see about options to change the display on my caller ID on outgoing calls. Not sure it can even be done, but it sure would be fun!

On a similar note to that, I always love it when sis's boyfriend calls her. Every time I see her phone ring, it says a different thing. I know it's him because of the ringtone (she's very particular in setting ringtones), but so far he's been: Pirate, DON'T ANSWER, (myname) answerthisforme, Prolly A Scam, Not selling anything, Not buying anything, Nopenopenope, octopus tentacle, and some collection of random characters that I think means my niece programmed his name that time.

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #1328 on: July 13, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
Just got a telemarketer cold-call that has me furious --

This is a call I've received frequently in the past, something to do with your credit cards and the federal stimulus package.  It's a recorded call, so I always ignored it.  Today though, after their second "final notice" call, I hit "1" to speak to a live person and to remind them that we're on the "do not call" list.

The telemarketer who answered, responded to me thus:  "Doesn't matter to me.  We're going to call you every single day."  He then hung up on me.

Next time, I'll be smart enough to get their information first, so I can report them -- every single day they call.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #1329 on: July 13, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »
Has anyone here ever actually reported a call?  What were the results?

The one time I tried, I used the FCC web site, and it was a tedious procedure that I finally gave up on.  I had to supply a whole lot of personal information but wasn't asked the most basic questions about the call -- like the caller's number or the time of the call.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1330 on: July 13, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »

The one time I tried, I used the FCC web site, and it was a tedious procedure that I finally gave up on.  I had to supply a whole lot of personal information but wasn't asked the most basic questions about the call -- like the caller's number or the time of the call.

Reporting doesn't work for the scam calls - they know perfectly well that they're violating the law, and they're usually using Caller ID blockers or spoofers so you don't have an accurate number for them anyway.  Reporting only really works when it's a legitimate company or organization.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #1331 on: July 13, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »
I'm thankful for Caller ID -- I just don't answer if I don't recognize the number.  If it's a legitimate call, they'll leave a message.

o_gal

« Reply #1332 on: July 13, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »
Well, I have a doozy that just happened about 2 hours ago.

I got a call from "Justin", a heavily Indian/Pakistani accented man calling from the infamous "Windows Service Center". I asked him the company name, trying to sound excited, and for the company phone number. Sure, he'll give it to me. Then I waited. Asked again and he said sure. Then waited. Then finally he starts to rattle off the first 8 digits of my phone number. Except that when I stopped him and said he was giving me my number, he said, no, it's "05" where my number ends with "06". Well, that happens to be the phone number of someone I know here in town, and I told him that. I wanted his number.

"I want to (bad word) you."
"Give me your number"
"Give me your number"

over and over, about 7 or 8 times. I figured that hey, it's Saturday and I'm not really doing anything more than reading a magazine, I can play this game all afternoon and keep him from calling anyone else. So I continued the little exchange.

Finally, I got tired and said "oooooohhhhhh baby, I really want your number" to stop the game. Sounds good, right? But you're thinking that he's going to give me some bogus number.

No, he gave me a private landline phone number out in California. I think he really did give me HIS number, hoping that I'll call him for some hot, hot phone sex. Guess what? The whole exchange got sent to the FCC  >:D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1333 on: July 13, 2013, 07:08:05 PM »

I believe they asked me when I reported a couple. No follow-up though.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

BB-VA

« Reply #1334 on: July 13, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »

I believe they asked me when I reported a couple. No follow-up though.

I reported the one that was trying to arrange delivery of my "I've fallen and I can't get up" system.

Never heard back but I never heard back from the scammers either. 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"