Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 609662 times)

LazyDaisy

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1455 on: August 09, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »
To the FBI in republic of Benin
When did the US annex republic of Benin? (FBI is internal to the US only, in spite of TV programs to the contrary!)

And now they are prosecuting bad dancers? My two left feet and I are in trouble

I for one want to see this dance of the FBI. Do the dancers wear black tutus?

Having had FBI agents visit us several times in the museum, I believe the 'Dance of the FBI' would be somewhere between the Blues Brothers and the Briefcase Drill Team from Pasadena's Hoo-Hah Parade.  I also wouldn't be surprised if a bit of John Cleese's 'Ministry of Silly Walks' made its way into the choreography.

Wouldn't that be wonderful to see?   

Thipu, I'm not sure if that was a typo or not but it's the Doo Dah Parade -- pasadenadoodahparade.info

Hoo-hah has me giggling wildly.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1456 on: August 09, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
I want to be a part of the Hoo-hah parade!  I'm planning my float as I type.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #1457 on: August 09, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »
Just got back from vacation and had a message on my a swearing machine from Quincy with some company "about my account."  Out of curiosity, I called back. Seems my student loan is I'm arrears and the US Dept of Education has hired his company to collect. Let's see. I graduated from undergrad in 1981 and started paying that loan on a 10 year schedule in 1982. Went back to law school in 1985, so got to defer it for 3 years. Graduated from law school in 1988, started paying back that loan in 1989. Finished paying off undergrad in 1995 and law school in 1999, three years  after we moved to this address, the same one our federal tax returns all that time.

I kinda think if the DOE had wanted to contact me, they would have. I won't be calling Quincy back.

SheltieMom

« Reply #1458 on: August 09, 2013, 05:13:52 PM »
Just got back from vacation and had a message on my a swearing machine from Quincy with some company "about my account."  Out of curiosity, I called back. Seems my student loan is I'm arrears and the US Dept of Education has hired his company to collect. Let's see. I graduated from undergrad in 1981 and started paying that loan on a 10 year schedule in 1982. Went back to law school in 1985, so got to defer it for 3 years. Graduated from law school in 1988, started paying back that loan in 1989. Finished paying off undergrad in 1995 and law school in 1999, three years  after we moved to this address, the same one our federal tax returns all that time.

I kinda think if the DOE had wanted to contact me, they would have. I won't be calling Quincy back.
I want to swear at mine sometimes, too!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

JoW

« Reply #1459 on: August 09, 2013, 05:15:52 PM »
Best spam EVER today.

Email asking me if I want a business or personal loan.

Name in the "Sender" column...... Jesus.

;D ;D ;D
Jesus - pronounced Way-soosss (ss as in hiss) - is a fairly common name in the Hispanic community.  But yes, the Jesus who sent you that email is a scammer.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1460 on: August 09, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
Thanks, LazyDaisy,

I WAS thinking of the Doo-Dah Parade.   

I remembered an.  Allen Sherman song from the 1960s.  It was a take-off on 'Camptown Races'.  It was titled 'Catskill Ladies' and was about life in the late, lamented Borscht Belt hotels. 

'Catskill ladies sing this song
Hoo-Hah, Hoo-hah.
Sittin' on the front porch playing mah Jongh
All the Hoo-hah day...'

You know, a thread on 'Humor me...' about floats or marching units for a Doo-Dah or Hoo-hah parade could be fun. 

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:32:18 PM by Thipu1 »

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #1461 on: August 09, 2013, 09:16:23 PM »
Wow, 2 in 1 day! Just got a call from the shipping department of Medic Alert wanting to schedule delivery. Lu my me, I'd totally forgotten that I'd ordered!

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #1462 on: August 09, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »
No recent scam attempts to report, but just wanted to say y'all are making my Friday night a lot more entertaining with your talk of hoo-hah parades and FBI dances.    ;)  I'm glad the kid is not home tonight, so that I might giggle hysterically to my heart's content.    ;D
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #1463 on: August 09, 2013, 11:25:56 PM »
Here's a recent story - I don't think the victim was very wise, but she's not to blame for the venality of the perpetrators.

http://globalnews.ca/news/770359/calgary-woman-robbed-by-flood-victims-after-renting-out-room/
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1464 on: August 10, 2013, 06:35:53 AM »
Well, they aren't men in black suits.  FBI Dance

scotcat60

« Reply #1465 on: August 10, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »
I am giving you 24 working hours to
effect the payment of the $98 usd.

$98 usd. Why not a nice round $100?

daen

« Reply #1466 on: August 10, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »
I am giving you 24 working hours to
effect the payment of the $98 usd.

$98 usd. Why not a nice round $100?

My guess is that un-round numbers sound more official and therefore more serious in an I-must-take-care-of-this-immediately sort of way.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1467 on: August 10, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »
Somebody at work just told me that this has worked for one of his neighbours:

Answer the phone in a language other than English.  For us here in Canada, 'Ola' would work, 'Bonjour', maybe not.  I'm thinking about answering in Japanese.  Phonetically here because I have no idea how to spell it:  Koneitchiwa.  Better warn my Dad before I do it, though, or he'll be really confused!  (I don't have call display.)

Guy I used to hang around with before I met Mr. Sirius answered the phone in Tlingit.  His parents were missionaries and he spent his growing-up years in Fort Yukon, Alaska so he had some familiarity with the language. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1468 on: August 11, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1469 on: August 11, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »
This woman is not homeless, she just wants boobs.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fashion-beauty/woman-begs-for-bigger-boobs/story-fneszy80-1226695208155
Looks to me like she has boobs.  And people who donate money to her ARE boobs!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~