Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 625634 times)

Amara

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1470 on: August 11, 2013, 07:38:01 PM »
This woman is not homeless, she just wants boobs.

I think her need for brains is greater than her need for boobs. But that's just my opinion.

sevenday

« Reply #1471 on: August 11, 2013, 11:51:14 PM »
I wonder if a fundraiser for a breast reduction would be viewed the same way as a breast augmentation.  I would REALLY love to get mine GONE. (DDD cup... no thank you) Someday, though!  And I don't think I'd resort to some of the things that woman was doing...

Tea Drinker

« Reply #1472 on: August 12, 2013, 12:23:29 AM »
I wonder if a fundraiser for a breast reduction would be viewed the same way as a breast augmentation.  I would REALLY love to get mine GONE. (DDD cup... no thank you) Someday, though!  And I don't think I'd resort to some of the things that woman was doing...

Breast reduction can be medical, to reduce back problems (which you of course know but some eHell denizens may not), as well as cosmetic, so I suspect there are quite a few people--especially other women with large breasts--who would be more sympathetic.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Isilleke

« Reply #1473 on: August 12, 2013, 04:46:06 AM »
I'm not saying that you should go out and beg for money, but I can understand women wanting a breast augmentation.

A woman I know had a breast augmentation to go to an A cup. I can understand that.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1474 on: August 12, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »
I could also see a fundraiser to raise money for reconstruction for a woman who has had a mastectomy. Of course, if I were the woman, I wouldn't really want people to be thinking about my chest, much less raising money for it, but some women might not have a problem with it (and that's fine).

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1475 on: August 12, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »
There is a family I know who has a very talented daughter. The daughter is a dancer, and has won top national awards for dancing. She was given a full tuition scholarship to a school far away. However, the parents can't afford the room and board. The mother contacted me a few months ago (I work at a university), and I gave her lots of resources to see what they might be able to do in order to make this a reality.

Did they go to the website on funding education? No

Did they contact the bank they have a good history with about getting a government subsidized parents loan? No

Did they tell their daughter that she would be better off attending a local school and working? No

They created a funding website for their daughter's room and board, and are begging every day for donations on their face book pages. They haven't succeeded in raising the money and it is too late for their daughter to attend a local school. Classes at new school start in just over a week.

Miss March

« Reply #1476 on: August 12, 2013, 06:25:32 PM »
We are on guard at the hotel for this latest scam.

The scammers (usually a couple) will be dressed nicely and will act like they are guests of the hotel. They will cruise around the hotel floors until they locate a housekeeper cleaning an occupied suite. Then they will walk right into the room, and say something like "Oh, hello. Don't mind me. You can keep working. I just needed to swing in and grab my laptop," or "If you would please excuse me, I need a few minutes of privacy here, please." They speak with such authority and seem so confident that it can trick the maid into assuming that this is the guest who is staying in the room, and they immediately comply with whatever they are asked. The end result is that a thief can brazenly walk out with a bag, electronics, and personal items, all within a matter of minutes, and the maid won't raise any alarm. The theft isn't discovered until later, when the real guests get back to their room.

We've alerted everyone on staff about this ruse. Housekeeping is now trained that if a guest returns to the room while the maid is servicing it, she needs to ask the guest to present their valid key card to the door before she can allow them into the room. Most of our guests really appreciate being asked to to verify themselves, actually. They are glad to know that the maid won't let just anyone come into their room while they are away.

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Carotte

« Reply #1477 on: August 12, 2013, 07:10:30 PM »

The scammers (usually a couple) will be dressed nicely and will act like they are guests of the hotel. They will cruise around the hotel floors until they locate a housekeeper cleaning an occupied suite. Then they will walk right into the room, and say something like "Oh, hello. Don't mind me. You can keep working. I just needed to swing in and grab my laptop," or "If you would please excuse me, I need a few minutes of privacy here, please." They speak with such authority and seem so confident that it can trick the maid into assuming that this is the guest who is staying in the room, and they immediately comply with whatever they are asked. The end result is that a thief can brazenly walk out with a bag, electronics, and personal items, all within a matter of minutes, and the maid won't raise any alarm. The theft isn't discovered until later, when the real guests get back to their room.

We've alerted everyone on staff about this ruse. Housekeeping is now trained that if a guest returns to the room while the maid is servicing it, she needs to ask the guest to present their valid key card to the door before she can allow them into the room. Most of our guests really appreciate being asked to to verify themselves, actually. They are glad to know that the maid won't let just anyone come into their room while they are away.

One thing I don't understand about hotels are the 'leave your keys at the reception' ones, that are still very widely prevalent. I'd venture that chain hotels mostly have the credit card size cards that you get to always keep, but I've been in a lot off hotels, above middle range ones, that still have actual keys that you have to leave at the reception. And then ask for them with just the room number (not even "Mr John, room 309".
How is that not a recipe for theft and failure?
In hotels with more than a hundred rooms and rotating staff, no way the clerk at 10am will be the same at 6pm or even remember you, so how come it's still done?
Even the keycards one, for example, this morning I was graced with the gift of waking up with the fire alarm and bolting out of my room with the bare essentials (shirt,pants that I put in the corridor because they where inside out and slippers.) no keycard, that my parents had to ask the clerk for while I was sitting down elsewhere (he made another keycard on the spot), for all hedoesn't  know they made up a number and just wanted to prowl my room...

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1478 on: August 12, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »

One thing I don't understand about hotels are the 'leave your keys at the reception' ones, that are still very widely prevalent. I'd venture that chain hotels mostly have the credit card size cards that you get to always keep, but I've been in a lot off hotels, above middle range ones, that still have actual keys that you have to leave at the reception. And then ask for them with just the room number (not even "Mr John, room 309".
In hotels with more than a hundred rooms and rotating staff, no way the clerk at 10am will be the same at 6pm or even remember you, so how come it's still done?
Even the keycards one, for example, this morning I was graced with the gift of waking up with the fire alarm and bolting out of my room with the bare essentials (shirt,pants that I put in the corridor because they where inside out and slippers.) no keycard, that my parents had to ask the clerk for while I was sitting down elsewhere (he made another keycard on the spot), for all hedoesn't  know they made up a number and just wanted to prowl my room...
Where are you that they ask you to leave your key at reception? I've traveled quiet a bit in the US and Canada and have never seen that.

When I was in Greece then later Scotland/England we turned our keys in - but that was because the school didn't want 1) kids losing keys 2) kids ditching their chaperons, bringing a "new friend" back to the hotel and going up to the room for some scrabble time. (Hey never said my classmates were particularly clever - they put the invites to keg parties on the windshields of the cars at school and couldn't figure out why they kept getting busted.) I was under the impression that the hotel held the envelopes of keys as a favor to the school not as a normal thing.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1479 on: August 12, 2013, 09:11:12 PM »

Where is this?  The last place I went that had actual keys was in Shenandoah at Skyland Resort.  Every other place I've stayed uses key cards.  And I travel A LOT

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #1480 on: August 13, 2013, 01:01:59 AM »

Where is this?  The last place I went that had actual keys was in Shenandoah at Skyland Resort.  Every other place I've stayed uses key cards.  And I travel A LOT

It's been several years since I saw this last, but it used to be the norm - at least in Europe. I still see it in some B&B type places, mostly in Southern Europe.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Carotte

« Reply #1481 on: August 13, 2013, 03:37:18 AM »
As some people thought, mostly Europe (France, Portugal, UK at least from recent  personal experience) and even Japan not two years ago (in Kyoto).

Cherry91

« Reply #1482 on: August 13, 2013, 10:09:01 AM »
I encountered a scam artist the other week, just remembered him now.

I was walking back to my office when a man in the street stopped me. He claimed to be working on behalf of a local beauty salon, but had no uniform or identification on (the rule where I live is that if you're selling or advertising anything, you either have to be wearing either a branded uniform or some form of identification proving you work for the company you say you do).

He starts a spiel while showing me a leaflet about how the salon were currently doing a wonderful special offer, where if you gave him 20 now, you could get over 300 of treatments! But you had to pay by either giving him your card details or writing him a cheque.

I would never give my details to someone on the street, and told him I didn't intend to give him any money. Upon being told this, he whipped the leaflet out of my hand and went to harass another girl on the street. Why, it's almost like you don't want someone to be able to Google your salon... and find out it doesn't exist (I live in the area he claimed the salon was located. It doesn't)!

I had my officer manager send around an email warning that there was a con artist operating on the street, so at least he didn't claim any victims from there.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #1483 on: August 13, 2013, 11:30:22 AM »
I just thought of one.  Not too frequently, but it's annoying anyway.  Some kid knocks on my door and offers me a Free Newspaper, with a Really Good Offer if I wanted to subscribe to this paper.  When I say no, they ask for the paper back.   Uh....what's Free about that paper?? 

doodlemor

« Reply #1484 on: August 13, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
I once had a salesman feign great astonishment and leave my porch in a huff, because I wouldn't accept a free pyrex pie plate and listen to his spiel.