Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 458891 times)

Amara

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1500 on: August 15, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
I received an email, supposedly because I opted in on an email list, from a woman in a town about 45 minutes from here. She is hosting a fundraiser to send herself to Thailand, not for a vacation, but to give massages to orphans. Somehow she got some serious places to donate good items for the silent auction because it is connected to a site that does things like send adults to orphanages overseas. I have no idea why she is doing this but I find this idea of massages for orphans to be beyond weird.

I want massages! I want to travel like that! But no one would fund me.

lilfox

« Reply #1501 on: August 15, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »
There's one intersection on my way to work that is the regular haunt of a rotating series of beggars.  There's even a couple of paths worn in the grass from people walking up and down the turn lanes, holding their handmade signs.  I've wondered if they know each other, is there a sign-up sheet or appointment book, do drivers keep handing out money when there is a beggar out there 4 days out of 5?   ???

This morning's beggar was a new one, a young woman who looked dressed for a cashier or waitress.  Perhaps she was picking up some spare change before going to her real job.

I wouldn't be surprised if the corner panhandlers do know each other and/or are working together.  Our local paper interviewed a couple of our "regulars" (who've been there since at least 2011) - one guy was the main spokesperson but he talked about how they banded together (some, anyway) and pool their money at the end of the day.  He said the main goal was to make enough to get a room at a local cheap hotel, with extra going to food, but sometimes they'd have to decide whether shelter or food was higher priority.  But he also talked about newbies showing up and there being disagreements about who got to work what corner (big intersection near major freeway ramps, there are 3 prime spots) - usually not involving violence but ...

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1502 on: August 15, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
Funniest thing I ever saw was two panhandlers getting into it over a prime median on the way home.  Usually at this intersection there is this one older gentlemen who wears all white and is fairly neat in appearance.  White pants, white shirt, white shoes, dirty white jacket in the fall and winter.  Well one day I'm waiting and a new guy is there.  This guy is a bit older and looks like he hasn't had a wash in a few weeks.  I get to the light just as it turns red so I'm waiting and watching.  All of a sudden the regular guy comes running down the street screaming.  Next thing I know there is yelling, and slapping, and pushing, etc.  At that point the light changed. 

Haven't seen the new guy since :)
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

heartmug

« Reply #1503 on: August 15, 2013, 12:54:04 PM »
Got an interesting one last night.  The doorbell rings.  I answer it.  There is a teenaged girl wearing shorts and a black t-shirt.  She goes into a speech about how she lives around the corner (I have never seen her before) and she goes to Z public high school (everyone in our neighborhood goes to X public high school) and her volleyball team is raising funds for new equipment.  She wasn't wearing her uniform.  She didn't have an envelope or a purse to collect the money.  She didn't have a flyer to give us or anything to sell.  She just asked for money.  I smiled and told her sorry and then shut the door.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

darling

« Reply #1504 on: August 15, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »
Beggar story, brief, but annoying.

What do you do when you post on social media that you found a good deal on x-items, or you scored something awesome at a garage/yard/estate sale, and a relative consistently comments, "I want x item!" Like I had offered the item up for the taking? The thing is, some of the time, based on who it is, I know they are joking, but other times I can't tell if the person seriously thinks I should just give it to them because they asked for it...  ::) (I'm looking at you, Mom!)

For now, I just post back an LOL, but it's starting to make me hesitant about posting any "Scores", and it's taking some of the joy out of bargain hunting.

"I didn't know that you were wanting one of them - I'll keep an eye out for another one & phone you if I find one - tell me what you were willing to pay, so I don't go over your budget!"

If they don't get back to you - don't look very hard.  If you do trip over one - call them to let them know that you found their item.  If it is a Singer Featherweight with the original table in good shape for only $100 - call ME, the table alone was running $300 (the tables got used to death as they were "card table size" with a cut out for the machine & a piece to fill in the cut out) a few years ago.

Quilters want Featherweights and the original tables.....

If I found a Featherweight for that price, it'd be in MY sewing room soooo fast, lol!

The item in question? Vintage christmas ornaments that I had been looking for for years without much success.  The person who wanted them? My mom, who has long told me that she just doesn't get my love for all things vintage... Facepalm moment, for sure.

A good friend: the expensive sewing gadget that I got for 75% off retail at a consignment store. She is now hinting that she wants to borrow it, but I know she won't take care of it, she won't want to buy the supplies it needs to operate, and if I get it back anytime before Christmas it'd be a miracle (I planned to use it to make some items for my etsy shop, to gear up for Christmas).

I also get annoyed by friends saying, "ooooo, can I have some!?!?" when I order food items for myself, often before I can even take a single bite, or am sitting down to eat the last of an anticipated treat, or when I am starting to fix leftovers for dinner when I am not sure there will be enough for just me. I'm willing to share, but jeesh, it should be my choice to offer, right?

Goosey

« Reply #1505 on: August 15, 2013, 01:05:24 PM »
I had been unemployed for some time and filling out online applications was like walking through a minefield.

A lot will ask you to pay for a security background check or credit check - both are scams.

Also, I've never gotten so much spam in my life and I think it's because of all the online applications I filled out. I have the feeling some of them were just selling email addressed :-\

Shalamar

« Reply #1506 on: August 15, 2013, 05:34:02 PM »
I was approached by a panhandler yesterday during my lunchtime stroll.  I always wear headphones for these walks, and I tend to get into my own little world.  This girl tried to get my attention, and when I didn't notice her, she waved her hand in front of my face and asked for money.  Um, no. 

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #1507 on: August 15, 2013, 07:30:20 PM »
DH got annoyed with me yesterday because I told him a car he found on Craigslist was a scam. He sent me an email from work telling me to email about this car RIGHT AWAY because it was such a fantastic deal. I clicked the link and it's a 2004 Honda Accord EX-L (or whatever the very top of the line version was) with 81k miles for $2067. The headline was written

=======like!======this!======

and it mentioned in at least three different places that it was a 3 liter engine. There was also a gmail address in the body of the text, which is not usual around here. I looked up the Kelly Blue Book value of the car and it was over $10k. I emailed him back and told him I thought that was a scam. He got annoyed with me and said that it wouldn't hurt to email, and I could just make a throwaway email address and use that. I didn't reply since I had just gotten the baby to sleep and that's when I work out, plus making a throwaway email address for an ad I knew was a scam was more work than I was willing to do. After I finished working out, I went back and clicked the link again and lo and behold, it had been flagged for removal.

I emailed DH and told him, and also told him a few things that are red flags for scams. The weird price, the excessive punctuation, restating a random piece of information over and over, the gmail address in the body of the ad, the fact that it was ridiculously cheap, etc. He replied that of course I could say that now, I had hindsight. I said no, these were immediate red flags for me and they should be for you, too. Later on when he was at home he saw a car priced at $2515 and said "I wonder if this is a scam too." After looking at the ad (almost no info, Yahoo email address in the body) I said probably. He thinks we should give these ads the benefit of the doubt, as "what if they just really need money?" I said "yeah, and what if the car is stolen?" He had no response for that.

A good way to check for scam car ads is to left click and drag down on the entire page - it will show hundreds of keywords the scammer has entered in white text after the body of the main ad. The prices tend to be in odd amounts, and have Gmail, Hotmail, etc. addresses.

The photos will not usually look like they were taken locally....and the ads will run in multiple states. (there's one scam ad for a "2004 Nissan" that's running simultaneously in Louisiana and Cincinnati, Ohio) There will not be a local number to call, and there may be a set of gibberish letters and numbers.

andi

« Reply #1508 on: August 15, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »
Hubby found one on Craigs list for a couple 4 wheelers that a "lady" was selling basically for the price of "shipping/storage".  There was a giant sob story of how they had belonged  to her husband and son and they had been killed in an accident so she couldn't bear to see them. It took me a few minutes to convince hubby it was too good to be true - he finally reported OT

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1509 on: August 20, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »
Help!!  I just got my first google calendar scam invitation.  Argh KILLITKILLITKILLITKILLITKILLITKILLITKILLITKILLIT!
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #1510 on: August 21, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »
Well, that was weird.

I just had someone come to the door--the back door, which set me a little on edge from the start--selling educational materials for children.  I'm not really a fan of door-to-door salesmen, but I was polite and let him know I wasn't interested as soon as he reached a good stopping point.

The whole experience had me feeling a little ???, so I looked it up online to see what I could find--and found other people in other places had had the exact same thing happen!  Even the details were the same--clipboard, backpack, accent, nametag, naming other people in the neighborhood, etc.  I still don't know if the whole thing was legit or not, but I'm feeling awfully surreal at the moment!

ETA: Okay, poked around even more and found some kind of scary stuff--one site even said they're kidnappers or something.  I know better than to trust any random thing I find online, but does anyone here know anything about it?  Should I be worried?  Contact authorities?  Ignore?  Crap, now I'm paranoid.  Stupid internet.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:14:02 PM by Layla Miller »
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #1511 on: August 21, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »
Layla, we had them in our neighborhood last year.  Technically they are not scamming, because if you do place an order with them you will receive the books you ordered.  The books you ordered will be poor in terms of their educational value, and you will have paid quite a bit for them, and if you aren't good at saying "no" to them, they will try to weasel all sorts of personal information about you and your family out of you.  Our neighborhood Facebook page tracked them through our neighborhood (someone would post that they had just been to her house, and then someone else would post that they were now on XX Street, etc.).  I read the same things about the company that you did and I don't like their sales techniques (a couple of my neighbors who aren't good at saying "no" couldn't get them out of their house for an hour!).  Our local police asked us to just contact them when the sales people showed up, so that they could chase them away for us.

snowdragon

« Reply #1512 on: August 21, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »
Beggar story, brief, but annoying.

What do you do when you post on social media that you found a good deal on x-items, or you scored something awesome at a garage/yard/estate sale, and a relative consistently comments, "I want x item!" Like I had offered the item up for the taking? The thing is, some of the time, based on who it is, I know they are joking, but other times I can't tell if the person seriously thinks I should just give it to them because they asked for it...  ::) (I'm looking at you, Mom!)

For now, I just post back an LOL, but it's starting to make me hesitant about posting any "Scores", and it's taking some of the joy out of bargain hunting.

"I didn't know that you were wanting one of them - I'll keep an eye out for another one & phone you if I find one - tell me what you were willing to pay, so I don't go over your budget!"

If they don't get back to you - don't look very hard.  If you do trip over one - call them to let them know that you found their item.  If it is a Singer Featherweight with the original table in good shape for only $100 - call ME, the table alone was running $300 (the tables got used to death as they were "card table size" with a cut out for the machine & a piece to fill in the cut out) a few years ago.

Quilters want Featherweights and the original tables.....

If I found a Featherweight for that price, it'd be in MY sewing room soooo fast, lol!

The item in question? Vintage christmas ornaments that I had been looking for for years without much success.  The person who wanted them? My mom, who has long told me that she just doesn't get my love for all things vintage... Facepalm moment, for sure.

A good friend: the expensive sewing gadget that I got for 75% off retail at a consignment store. She is now hinting that she wants to borrow it, but I know she won't take care of it, she won't want to buy the supplies it needs to operate, and if I get it back anytime before Christmas it'd be a miracle (I planned to use it to make some items for my etsy shop, to gear up for Christmas).

I also get annoyed by friends saying, "ooooo, can I have some!?!?" when I order food items for myself, often before I can even take a single bite, or am sitting down to eat the last of an anticipated treat, or when I am starting to fix leftovers for dinner when I am not sure there will be enough for just me. I'm willing to share, but jeesh, it should be my choice to offer, right?

my mother is the same way...I was given a set of depression glass that was complete. Mom decided she "got first pick" - and walked out with the best pieces when I was in the bathroom...and then cried, literally cried that "She could not believe that I was so selfish."
  And yes, it should be the right of the person who ordered to offer.  I *HATE* the idea that someone else is entitled to my food.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #1513 on: August 21, 2013, 01:41:49 PM »
Layla, we had them in our neighborhood last year.  Technically they are not scamming, because if you do place an order with them you will receive the books you ordered.  The books you ordered will be poor in terms of their educational value, and you will have paid quite a bit for them, and if you aren't good at saying "no" to them, they will try to weasel all sorts of personal information about you and your family out of you.  Our neighborhood Facebook page tracked them through our neighborhood (someone would post that they had just been to her house, and then someone else would post that they were now on XX Street, etc.).  I read the same things about the company that you did and I don't like their sales techniques (a couple of my neighbors who aren't good at saying "no" couldn't get them out of their house for an hour!).  Our local police asked us to just contact them when the sales people showed up, so that they could chase them away for us.

Ah, thanks.  I did call the police department, and they told me he had registered at City Hall, so that made me feel better, too.  This guy was actually pretty good about taking "no" for an answer, fortunately.  I think I must have pretty good body language/expression/whatever, though, because I don't usually have much trouble with salesmen and other high pressure types.  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Carotte

« Reply #1514 on: August 21, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »

Ah, thanks.  I did call the police department, and they told me he had registered at City Hall, so that made me feel better, too.  This guy was actually pretty good about taking "no" for an answer, fortunately.  I think I must have pretty good body language/expression/whatever, though, because I don't usually have much trouble with salesmen and other high pressure types.  :)

I remember reading about them, the person who wrote about it on his blog said that the representative tried to pass herself as someone from the school/school district administration, lied a boatload, showed him one example in the book that amounted to "cow eat grass, then, magic, you get milk" and tried to pressure him asking about his neighbors, if they had kids, what age (same way she got info on his kids, from a well meaning neighbor).