A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers

<< < (311/1414) > >>

Amara:

--- Quote ---They went to SeaWorld, and he stole a necklace. Which wasn't discovered until they were almost at their car, when they marched him back to the security/police office and he had to explain what he did and pay for the necklace out of his allowance. He was 8.
--- End quote ---

I'm impressed by those parents. My mother did much the same thing to me when I was about that age and stole a candy bar from a small neighborhood market. I never stole again.

Shalamar:
I remember stealing a pack of gum from the local store when I was five.  In my defense, I didn't think of it as stealing - I wanted it, my mother wouldn't buy it for me, so the choice to my childish mind was obvious.  :)

When my mother discovered it and knew darned well how I'd gotten it, she marched me back to the store to apologize to the manager.  I've never forgotten that.

Topic:  I was walking down the street the other day, happily listening to music on my iPhone, when a panhandler stopped me by yelling at me, then waving her hand in front of my face when I didn't hear her.  I ... did not react well.

exitzero:

--- Quote from: Shalamar on August 29, 2013, 03:39:06 PM ---I remember stealing a pack of gum from the local store when I was five.  In my defense, I didn't think of it as stealing - I wanted it, my mother wouldn't buy it for me, so the choice to my childish mind was obvious.  :)

When my mother discovered it and knew darned well how I'd gotten it, she marched me back to the store to apologize to the manager.  I've never forgotten that.

Topic:  I was walking down the street the other day, happily listening to music on my iPhone, when a panhandler stopped me by yelling at me, then waving her hand in front of my face when I didn't hear her.  I ... did not react well.

--- End quote ---

My boyfriend would make the worst scammer in the world. When he was a kid, he stole one of those metal free-standing price signs they used to have in the stores. (the were maybe 6 or 8" high and wide, with a slot that paper description and prices could be slid into.)
His mother caught him and made him take it back and apologise.
what kind of self-respecting little boy would steal a PRICE SIGN?

norrina:
DSS stole a single tamarind from the grocery store a couple month's ago. He's twelve, well above the age where he knows right from wrong. His excuse for his misdeed was, "Well, I asked if I could have some and you didn't answer." (Special Snowflake IwantitIwillhaveit? We also found 3 empty soda cans in his shower, which he claims he was using to poor water over himself, but we have reasonable suspicion that he snuck them there to drink them because we limit his soda consumption. I realize it's the age and not true SS, but grrrrrrrr either way.) This all happened while he was with his mother, who marked him back in to talk to the manager, who told him she wouldn't call the police this time. Followed by attorney stepmom norrina assuring him that yes, in fact, the manager could have done that. Over a $.05 tamarind.

AmethystAnne:
I just got a phone call on our home phone and the caller ID said it was *unavailable* at this number (786).

I heard voices in the background and then a man starting talking:

Him: Am I speaking to *Amethyst*
Me: This is *Amethyst*
Him: how are you?
Me: I'm fine. Who is this?
Him: *mumblemumble* from *mumblemumble*.  I'm calling to inform you that your computer is filled with viruses
Me: <laughing out loud>Really?
Him: <sounding sincere> yes, it is.
Me: That's really funny because I haven't turned on my computer for a month and a half. <click>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version