A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers

<< < (311/609) > >>

zyrs:

--- Quote from: Luci45 on August 28, 2013, 11:42:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on August 28, 2013, 04:58:56 PM ---Friend just got this text:

Atten
Contact your DHL delivery agent he just arived at JFK
New York City international airport with your ATM Visa
card contain $2.5 USD so recomfirm your address to him
he misplace your address

(1)Your Full Name.
(2)Mobile Phone Number.
(3)Current Home Address
(4)Nearest Airport
so that he can deliver your ATM visa card
as soon as possible
his name is MR Kevin Anthony
Email;{diplomatkevinanthony@live.be
Regards REV.JERRY MARK
Phone Number.( xxxxxxxxxx}
call Rev Jerry Mark{+xxxxxxxxxx}

--- End quote ---

In the 1950s there was a TV show called The Millionaire. The guy who delivered the surprise was Michael Anthony. This delivery agent must be his son! And the victim of a fraud is a mark, so they kind of misnamed the perpetrator. Guess the are having fun!

--- End quote ---

But they must have fallen on really hard times, which isn't surprising if they are flying people around to hand out $2.50.  Even millionaires wouldn't waste that much on $2.50.

Luci:
^ :) Didn't even catch that little detail! I was just enjoying the words. It's all in the details!

2littlemonkeys:
I'm afraid one of my kids is a little scammer in the making.  I hope I was able to show her it never really works! 

BG: We were at Target one day and I got the kids their school backpacks.  As we were leaving, the security gates went off.  No one ever came over to investigate but I made sure the kids didn't accidentally have anything in their hands or pockets (they didn't.)  Of course, I had the receipt for everything in our bag, so we went on our merry way.  At home, I discovered one of those square security label things and I figure it was either supposed to be removed or disabled in some way and wasn't.  The kids were very concerned about the whole "gates going off" thing but I told that sometimes they do and as long as you aren't actually stealing anything, it's not a big deal because you'll have a receipt showing proof of payment.

So in the car the other day, DD8 (who has obviously been mulling this over) said, "Mom, I know how you can get past the gates!"

Me:  ??? Oh?  How?

DD8: Well, you just buy something.  Then you go back later and steal the same thing but bring your receipt.  Then when the gates go off, you just say, "Oh, it's okay, I have a receipt right here!" and then you have two things!

Me:  :o  Well, that sounds like it would work but every receipt has the date and time stamped on it.  The security guard would know you're lying.

DD8:  Oh.  I guess I didn't think of that.

Me:   :o  Well, please remember that stealing is ALWAYS wrong* and you will eventually get caught and it's really not ever worth it.  Dad and I will be extremely disappointed if we ever find out you're doing something like that.  (then I went into how it seems harmless but it really hurts everyone, yadda yadda yadda...)

She's a really good kid and I doubt she ever would steal anything.  She likes a good puzzle and went about solving the problem of security gates. But her logic scared me a little, LOL.

*I know there are circumstances where this could be debated but I didn't need to get into semantics with an 8-year old with a plan to successfully boost merchandise...

ladyknight1:
I know someone who's son would constantly do what he was told not to. Like putting his hand on a hot burner or lighting matches.

They went to SeaWorld, and he stole a necklace. Which wasn't discovered until they were almost at their car, when they marched him back to the security/police office and he had to explain what he did and pay for the necklace out of his allowance. He was 8.

MrTango:

--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on August 29, 2013, 03:23:55 PM ---I know someone who's son would constantly do what he was told not to. Like putting his hand on a hot burner or lighting matches.

They went to SeaWorld, and he stole a necklace. Which wasn't discovered until they were almost at their car, when they marched him back to the security/police office and he had to explain what he did and pay for the necklace out of his allowance. He was 8.

--- End quote ---

You'd think that would be a painful enough experience that he'd never do it again...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version