Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 657141 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1785 on: October 11, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »
In the spam folder this morning:

MRS. GINETTE ST. PAUL <test@cheilmc.co.kr>

Oct 9 (2 days ago)

to

Be careful with this message. Many people marked similar messages as phishing scams, so this might contain unsafe content.  Learn more

ATTENTION,

CONTACT HARRY CARLSON HE IS IN JOHN F KENNEDY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT NEW
 YORK WITH YOUR CONSIGNMENT VALUE OF $9.2 MILLION DOLLARS, CONTACT HIM ON HIS
 EMAIL (dip_harry@yahoo.es) ALSO CALL HIM VIA HIS CELL NUMBER #917-965-8941

Shame on you! Your disregarded the first sentence and shared with all of us! Now we are all going to call poor Harry and try to get in on the action.  ;)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1786 on: October 11, 2013, 09:34:25 AM »
Saw this today and knew I had to post it here :)

http://notalwaysworking.com/an-honest-scam/31821

(blinks) I think we have a scammer who is not clear on the concept here.

I can see some na´ve young fellow wanting to "break into the business," and his more experienced elders playing the equivalent of the "snipe hunt" with him. "Yeah, call up and tell them you want to steal money from their computer. It never fails!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #1787 on: October 11, 2013, 09:55:18 AM »
In the spam folder this morning:

MRS. GINETTE ST. PAUL <test@cheilmc.co.kr>

Oct 9 (2 days ago)

to

Be careful with this message. Many people marked similar messages as phishing scams, so this might contain unsafe content.  Learn more

ATTENTION,

CONTACT HARRY CARLSON HE IS IN JOHN F KENNEDY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT NEW
 YORK WITH YOUR CONSIGNMENT VALUE OF $9.2 MILLION DOLLARS, CONTACT HIM ON HIS
 EMAIL (dip_harry@yahoo.es) ALSO CALL HIM VIA HIS CELL NUMBER #917-965-8941

Shame on you! Your disregarded the first sentence and shared with all of us! Now we are all going to call poor Harry and try to get in on the action.  ;)

Yeah, LOL, the warning is actually from gmail. I should've removed it.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1788 on: October 11, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »
jayhawk wrote:

"Yeah, LOL, the warning is actually from gmail. I should've removed it."

The deep irony here is that I'm guessing that "Learn More" was a hotlink, so gmail was trying to teach you about being safe with emails by getting you to click a link in an email....

Virg

KarenK

« Reply #1789 on: October 11, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »
On the flip side of that, you can be honest about a product being damaged and the shop can refuse to believe it/blame you. I bought a CD years ago that didn't work so I swapped it for another, only to realise that the second disc also didn't work had a massive damaged area on it (which I hadn't thought to look for the first time). I took it back and was accused of causing the damage. I asked them to check the other copies of the same CD - only to find that they were ALL damaged. I got my refund, a free copy of the CD once they had one and a very sincere apology.

I had something similar once. I bought a DVD. It wouldn't play. Returned it. New DVD also wouldn't play. Returned it. 3rd DVD still wouldn't play. I returned it, suggested they check their stock as 3 in a row seemed like it might be caused by a batch problem.
They tried to refuse the refund claiming it must me my DVD player (despite the fact that every other disc I had played just fine.)

Fortunately, I'd bought my DVD player recently and from the same retailer, so I told them that, and confirmed that I was more than happy to return the DVD player instead if they preferred. hey then decided that they's refund the DVD instead.

The same happened to me. I bought a DVD, and it would not play in my blu ray player. Took it back, got another one, still would not play. Only cost 5 bucks.

Gave up and kept it.

Got a new blu ray player so I could stream Netflix. On a whim, tossed in the DVD. It played! I suspect it has something to do with updated software on the new blu ray player.

CakeBeret

« Reply #1790 on: October 11, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
Based on Twik's story, I'll put out my usual PSA.  Don't ever ever EVAR give your financial or personal information to someone who calls you on the phone.  Just don't do it.  No matter what your caller ID says you never have proof positive that they are really who they say they are, so don't do it.  Caller ID can be falsified using hardware that can be bought off the Internet.  You know those police stings where an officer uses a modulator to sound like an underage girl on the phone to bust predators?  That equipment is pretty cheap.  Whenever you get a call, remember that you can't ask the caller to show you an ID and you can't see them.

If you wish to do such business by phone, then you should initiate the call yourself so you're sure of who you're talking with.  Any charity or business that's worth doing business with will have a published number and an understanding of such caution.

Virg

My credit card company called me recently. I told them that I don't do business with anyone who calls me out of the blue and was a moment away from hanging up on him when he offered to verify that he actually was from Discover. He read off my last five transactions and last two payments to confirm that he was from my CC company and said he appreciated my caution.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1791 on: October 11, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
Posted to an online forum

Honey,

How are you doing in Life ,please check this Master Card Number below it belongs to my late father and i want to post the master credit card to you today so that you can help me withdraw all money inside from any atm card boot near you if only you can send me the diplomatic posting fees.

you can check the card validation number here in this link .

http://[removed]

Master Credit Card Number
[a bunch of numbers]
Amount total
US 5.8 Million
This credit card number is valid!

I am tired of living here in this Refugee camp and we just arrived here after living in several Refugee Camps all over the world which photos i will attached in my next mail and please kindly send me an email on[free email service]so that i can also send you my pictures and the photo scan copy of the master credit card.

The United Nation for Refugees Air bus can come any time and take us away from here to another location which we don't know and the sufferings continue no food no good water the place is full of mad people living like Cats and dogs .

Please wriite me fast on [free email service]

God Bless you.

Love From Prisca

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

jmarvellous

« Reply #1792 on: October 11, 2013, 02:30:21 PM »
Too bad you couldn't get her to send you pictures.

I do wonder what good posting a credit card number to a forum might do. I am at a loss as to how it'd help the person make off with money.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1793 on: October 11, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
I think it's the bit about "you must send the diplomatic posting fees".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jmarvellous

« Reply #1794 on: October 11, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »
I think it's the bit about "you must send the diplomatic posting fees".

I suppose! But I guess once I got the $5.8 million from the ATM (ha!), I'd be happy to send those, whatever they are.

Amara

« Reply #1795 on: October 11, 2013, 03:50:39 PM »
$9.2 MILLION DOLLARS ...

JUST RECONFIRM YOUR DELIVERY ADDRESS AND
 THE ABOVE INFO AND HE WILL PROCEED WITH THE DELIVERY TO YOUR DOORSTEP.

Ooh, I would be so tempted to send him my address (the one I "share" with the local police department). It would be even better if I could arrange a specific time, then sit outside and wait for the entertainment to begin.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1796 on: October 11, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »
Too bad you couldn't get her to send you pictures.

I do wonder what good posting a credit card number to a forum might do. I am at a loss as to how it'd help the person make off with money.
Well, you can't withdraw the money from the ATM without the physical card.  So you need to send her money so she can use some sort of "diplomatic posting" to send you the card. I'll bet those fees really add up.

There is another similar scam where you have won a lottery you never entered & they are going to pay you with an ATM card. After you send the "fee" (by Western Union, of course) they may even send you a card. But something is wrong, the card doesn't work. Well, for an additional fee, w'll send a replacement...

This one's going to appeal to the gullible and greedy. Why should I try to use the number to buy a new iPhone online, when I can just get the card, withdraw the money and (hee! hee! hee!) run off without ever sending her a penny?

Nutrax

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1797 on: October 11, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »
$9.2 MILLION DOLLARS ...

JUST RECONFIRM YOUR DELIVERY ADDRESS AND
 THE ABOVE INFO AND HE WILL PROCEED WITH THE DELIVERY TO YOUR DOORSTEP.

Ooh, I would be so tempted to send him my address (the one I "share" with the local police department). It would be even better if I could arrange a specific time, then sit outside and wait for the entertainment to begin.
One of my favorite scambaits was the guy who got the scammer to call the Federal Police in Tijuana, Mexico and say "No tengo [Spanish slang for "testicles"].

Nutrax

cmurf1960

« Reply #1798 on: October 11, 2013, 07:54:02 PM »
I used to have this friend who was a single mom of two kids, disabled and unable to work, and her ex-husband seldom paid his child support.  She lived in Florida, I'm in New England.  She used to ask to borrow money for this or that; food stamps don't come until next week, can you loan me $50 until then, that sort of thing.

For a while, she was good about paying me back.  But then, she started asking for money before she paid back the last "loan".  I kept giving it to her, because I felt sorry for her.  Then one day, she called me, at 6AM on a Saturday, pleading for money to pay her electric bill, or else they'd be shutting it off that day.  Where I live, they don't do shutoffs on weekends, but maybe they do down there.  I PayPaled her the money, about $100, just to get her out of my hair and go back to sleep.

That turned out to be the last money she ever got from me.  She posted on some message board about how she had just gotten a flat-screen TV and signed up for Verizon FiOS with all the channels.  Really?  You can afford a new TV and premium channels, but you beg people to help you pay your bills?

I cut her off.  I blocked her from my phone, email, Facebook, Twitter, and every place else I could think of.  Before I did, I told her that I would forgive all past debt if she agreed to never try to contact me again for ANY reason.  If she did, I would sue her for every cent of the money owed, even if I had to spend more than that to go down to Florida to do it.  I felt scammed and I wanted her to suffer.  She never did try to contact me again.

Turns out I dodged a serious bullet.  I heard through the grapevine that she fell so behind on her rent that she got evicted from her house.  If I'd maintained contact, no doubt she'd have been asking me for help paying her rent.  By that time, we were preparing to buy our own house and move, and didn't have the money to spare, anyway.  I felt bad for her, but by this time, both her kids were out of high school, and neither of them was working or going to school, yet still were living with her.  All they did was eat, sleep, watch TV and play video games all day.  Nope, not gonna help finance other people's irresponsibility and laziness!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1799 on: October 11, 2013, 10:23:11 PM »
That reminds me of a little blurb I read in the news recently, about a mom and her six kids who were forced - FORCED I tell you! to live in their car - complete with the requisite photo of the sad-faced mother pleading for help.

It turned out that the youngest of her kids was 18 I think? and the others were all quite a bit older. None of these people had jobs. ::)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.