Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 575665 times)

Figgie

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1830 on: October 19, 2013, 10:44:50 PM »
The doorbell rang on Friday.  When I answered the door, there was a young man holding a can of Glade air spray.  He said:  "We are doing a promotion in your neighborhood.  Here is your free can of air spray."

I told him (with complete honesty), "no thank you, I don't use scented sprays in our home."  I then closed the door, leaving him just standing there. 

It was only after that I wondered what kind of promotion would have someone giving away a can of Glade air spray?  It didn't make any sense to me, so I'm glad I didn't give him any opportunities to argue with me.

Jones

« Reply #1831 on: October 20, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »
It's how Kirby vacuum sales get their foot in the door. Once you take whatever they offer (anything from tissues to dish soap) they suddenly remember they have one other thing and dash back with a vacuum for your FREE carpet cleaning.

Jones

« Reply #1832 on: October 21, 2013, 09:12:33 AM »
Perhaps you have heard of the Boy Scout leaders who knocked over an ancient formation in Goblin State Park, then posted a video online. Video went viral and it sounds like they will be prosecuted for vandalism.

So, why am I posting about this in the scammer thread? Because, breaking news this morning is that the man doing the rock pushing in the video recently--couple weeks ago-- filed suit against a teenager for a car accident that occurred 4 years ago (her car slid in the rain and knocked into 4 other vehicles, including his). Listed in the suit: "Great pain and suffering, disability, impairment and loss of the joys of life." Lawsuit amount? $5000.

Apparently was not disabled enough to sue sooner, or stop him from hiking a state park and knocking over a nearly one ton formation.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #1833 on: October 21, 2013, 09:15:54 AM »
Not just a scammer, but a stupid one at that.  Insurance fraud - you're doing it wrong.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1834 on: October 21, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »
Oh, as a Scout volunteer and leader, the first story burned me and the second? What kind of role model is he?

I am certain his membership in the organization will be revoked and he will be on permanent ban.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1835 on: October 21, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »
Oh, as a Scout volunteer and leader, the first story burned me and the second? What kind of role model is he?

I am certain his membership in the organization will be revoked and he will be on permanent ban.

Some people may notice that I get worked up a bit about safety in the workplace, and in general.

So, let me say that this man's position, that he knocked over the rock because of safety concerns, is absolutely ridiculous>:( What next, he shoots all the animals in the park because they might somehow attack a camper at some point? He chops down redwoods because they might fall on someone?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:46:55 PM by Twik »
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Otterpop

« Reply #1836 on: October 21, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

Some people may notice that I get worked up a bit about safety in the workplace, and in general.

So, let me say that this man's position, that he knocked over the rock because of safety concerns, is absolutely ridiculous>:( What next, he shoots all the animals in the park because they might somehow attack a camper at some point? He chops down redwoods because they might fall on someone?

Heh, heh.  Seriously, the rock had been there for 20 million years without incident.  Suddenly HE has to protect everyone?  Obvious deflection from his serious vandalism.

Hope they throw the book at him, then prosecute for insurance fraud.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #1837 on: October 21, 2013, 07:38:47 PM »
My OH fell for one of those pop up scam ads on the internet. The ones that say, "This could save you thousands! Are you SURE you want to leave this page?" It cost a hundred dollars (a very large chunk of our limited budget) and was supposed to be a series of books and dvds on how to DIY build and convert your house to solar.  ::) I had to consult an electrician friend to instruct OH on exactly why this was not possible. OH has now agreed that he is not to purchase ANYTHING off the internet without consulting me first  :P.
OH almost fell for a phone scam years ago. A lady rang with one of those "You've won a free holiday!" deals. Unfortunately I was at work when she rang. Fortunately I was the only one of us with a credit card and I had it in my possession at the time. OH kept her on the phone for half an hour until I got home. He handed me the phone very excitedly, telling me all about how we were going to Vegas and all I had to do was to give over my credit card details to confirm my identity! I was like, hold on a second. I had a very short conversation with the lady and hung up on her while she was in mid rant about how we'd wasted HER time  ???. OH half took some convincing before he'd believe me on that one too. He's quite gullible, poor dear....

I'm glad you posted that. I could definitely see someone (cough-cough) trying that one...  :-[
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1838 on: October 21, 2013, 10:14:18 PM »

Heh, heh.  Seriously, the rock had been there for 20 million years without incident.  Suddenly HE has to protect everyone?  Obvious deflection from his serious vandalism.

Seriously - the rock formation that tourists travel miles and miles and miles to see (even from other countries?) is such a safety hazard that HE knocks it down to save lives?  With the help of another "leader"? 

Yeah, right, pull the other one, it's got bells on it...

At best, he had low blood sugar so badly that his brain had quit working - otherwise, chemicals not appropriate to a Scout leader were in his blood stream...because nobody would hand over a dozen boys to such an obvious idiot!  Would they? 

Snarky and Evil are not happy with him - but I've locked up the blazer & the nerve disruptor - don't want any Boy Scouts or million year old landmark rock formations caught in the cross fire by accident....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1839 on: October 21, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »

Seriously - the rock formation that tourists travel miles and miles and miles to see (even from other countries?) is such a safety hazard that HE knocks it down to save lives?  With the help of another "leader"? 

At best, he had low blood sugar so badly that his brain had quit working - otherwise, chemicals not appropriate to a Scout leader were in his blood stream...because nobody would hand over a dozen boys to such an obvious idiot!  Would they? 

Snarky and Evil are not happy with him - but I've locked up the blazer & the nerve disruptor - don't want any Boy Scouts or million year old landmark rock formations caught in the cross fire by accident....

Ummm you left the flamethrower in the corner...better put that away too :)

wheeitsme

« Reply #1840 on: October 22, 2013, 01:27:54 AM »

Ummm you left the flamethrower in the corner...better put that away too :)

She would, but he gets cranky when you wake him up.  ;)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1841 on: October 22, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »
Their membership in the Boy Scouts of America has been revoked permanently and they have been stripped of their positions in their troop.

hjaye

« Reply #1842 on: October 22, 2013, 09:23:12 AM »
Well it's finally happened to me, my debit card information has been stolen.  The only place it seems like they could have stolen the information from is PayPal.

I bought a computer on line from Ebay last week, I payed for it through Paypal, two days later and my checking account is wiped out.  Thankfully, it's a week before I get paid so they don't get too much, and I've already contacted one merchant and I'm getting my money back from them.  The thief bought a watch on line and was sending it a place in California that according to the merchant is used for forwarding items to other locations, probably overseas. 

They did have my debit card number, security code, phone number and billing address.  I was able to get a hold of my bank last night and cancel the card so they won't be able to make any more purchases.  All in all, it could have been a lot worse that what it is. I'm off to the bank in a few minutes to see about the other charges and hopefully get some more of my money back.

modified to use the correct form of paid
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:43:54 PM by hjaye »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1843 on: October 22, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »

So, let me say that this man's position, that he knocked over the rock because of safety concerns, is
absolutely ridiculous>:( What next, he shoots all the animals in the park because they might somehow attack a camper at some point? He chops down redwoods because they might fall on someone?

The video clearly shows that it took him some time and effort to destroy the Goblin.

Why would he be fearful for the safety of children visiting the place? It isn't as if the Goblin would squash a toddler who put a hand on it. 

This was mindless vandalism, pure and simple.  This guy has gotten himself into major trouble with both the federal government and the insurance company.  He deserves every penalty they can give
him. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1844 on: October 22, 2013, 09:51:08 AM »
Agreed.  He didn't do it to "protect" anyone. 

He did it to show off. He wanted to prove what a big, strong, hulk he is.  And the guys who giggled and danced are just as mindless, childish and idiotic as he is.

I guess he forgot that he was trying to convince the insurance company that he was 'disabled'. 

I hope they totally throw the book at him.  Both books!