A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers

<< < (369/1461) > >>

Miss Tickle:

--- Quote from: Otterpop on October 22, 2013, 11:11:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: VorFemme on October 22, 2013, 08:39:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: gramma dishes on October 22, 2013, 07:37:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on October 22, 2013, 06:27:20 PM ---I purchased RFID blocking wallets for myself, DH and DS after we got our passports and found out they have RFID chips in them. We then found our Disney annual passes have RFID chips in them. I know that some credit/debit cards have them as well. The wallets have foil lining that blocks the chips from being read.

--- End quote ---

What happens with these metal wallets when you fly?  Any problems with TSA?

--- End quote ---

I haven't flown in a year or so - so no idea - I haven't had the metal wallet for more than three months, yet.

--- End quote ---

Intriguing.  Will it work to put a piece of tin foil in a regular wallet? I had a lady get really close to me and follow me in the store today.  My purse was zipped so she wasn't trying to steal anything (neither was I ;)).  Either she was store security or she was trying to scan me.  It was uncomfortable for a bit.

--- End quote ---

Altoid tins work to hold credit cards and I have two of the metal wallets and have flown now problem.

dawbs:

--- Quote from: gramma dishes on October 22, 2013, 07:37:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on October 22, 2013, 06:27:20 PM ---I purchased RFID blocking wallets for myself, DH and DS after we got our passports and found out they have RFID chips in them. We then found our Disney annual passes have RFID chips in them. I know that some credit/debit cards have them as well. The wallets have foil lining that blocks the chips from being read.

--- End quote ---

What happens with these metal wallets when you fly?  Any problems with TSA?

--- End quote ---

I used, for ages, an old fashioned "cigarette case' as a metal wallet, and TSA never minded--it was clearly my wallet, apparently to them.
(it was pretty similar to this:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/108863355/retro-propaganda-wallet-vintage-rosie?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=metal+wallet+rosie+&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=metal+wallet+rosie
I still use something similar, which I just tuck into a 'normal' wallet)

weeblewobble:

--- Quote from: unnalee on October 22, 2013, 09:40:37 AM ---My office just got a call from a person who sounded like he was in a very busy call center.  He didn't identify himself or the company he supposedly was working for.  Just launched into asking me to give him the make and model of the copier in our office.   ::)  Yeah, like I haven't heard that one before...

So, to have a little fun and see where this went, I asked why he needed to know that information.  He said he represented the Blahblahblah Publishing Co. who were rewriting the operating manual for our copier.  He wanted to verify which one we had to that they could send us a new one.  I put on my best "innocent, young woman who doesn't know any better" voice, and asked all kinds of circular questions, just to keep him on the phone and to stop him scamming someone else. 

He finally got to the point of almost yelling at me to just give him the make and model number, and I finally flatly said, "NO.  This is a scam."  He hung up on me.  :)

--- End quote ---

I want to be your friend.  Teach me your ways.

jedikaiti:
You guys are going to love this...

IT WAS MY CHIROPRACTOR. Apparently they have new owners, or the owners got a new card processing service, something like that.

Alas, that information came too late to prevent debit card #2 from being cancelled. I called my CU this morning, explained in brief what was up, and the rep said that we'd have to cancel the new card. I replied "well can I talk to someone who can look into this in more depth?" and she said she'd see if anyone in loss prevention could take the call, and put me on hold. Apparently while I was waiting she cancelled my card and transferred me to a very nice woman who had a heck of a time finding the 1st transaction on my old card. So she talked to card services and called me back. Seems that with their help, she was able to get the merchant ID from the transaction, and found out it was a chiropractic service.

I called the chiropractor and lodged a complaint about the new name appearing on the card transactions. It seems I am far from the first to complain. And I get to wait another week for yet another new debit card.

Twik:
Your chiropractor is PeoplePC?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version