Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 458464 times)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1845 on: October 22, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
Well it's finally happened to me, my debit card information has been stolen.  The only place it seems like they could have stolen the information from is PayPal.

I bought a computer on line from Ebay last week, I payed for it through Paypal, two days later and my checking account is wiped out.  Thankfully, it's a week before I get payed so they don't get too much, and I've already contacted one merchant and I'm getting my money back from them.  The thief bought a watch on line and was sending it a place in California that according to the merchant is used for forwarding items to other locations, probably overseas. 

They did have my debit card number, security code, phone number and billing address.  I was able to get a hold of my bank last night and cancel the card so they won't be able to make any more purchases.  All in all, it could have been a lot worse that what it is. I'm off to the bank in a few minutes to see about the other charges and hopefully get some more of my money back.

Back in August, I get a phone call from my bank.  It was their fraud department asking me if I had made a $3 395 purchase of electronics from an overseas location.  Once I could breath again, I said "Heck no!!!!" We went through the last 5 days of transactions and found a bunch of little fishing ones ($1-$20) that went through then the big one.  They did not approve the big one (didn't have that much money in my account) and they refunded the little ones.  Took a few days to figure it out as my card was in my possession the whole time.  It was a certain pay as you go phone account (they have an airline too) that 7 days earlier I had a billing dispute with as I went to stop the account.  The people who I called in a certain country (funny, same country where electronics were ordered from) told me they would stop it, then double dipped the monthly payment the next day.  I called them to say they took 2 payments for a phone service I had cancelled and the jerk on the other end argued they did not (looking at my bank print out buddy boy) and that my payments had declined -no,  I saw what you did (I was watching my account due to me not trusting them) and then when I said I had proof he said it was never an automatic payment (yes it was, for 2 years).  The guy was very rude, called me a deadbeat  >:( said they would cancel my phone (I cancelled it moron!) and boom, that night fraud charges started coming through.  The woman at the bank said this is a problem with the foreign companies..she sees at least 2-3 cases a week of credit card fraud originating from the call centers.  I put a complaint in with the phone company, but they didn't care.  My bank took good care of me, cancelling my card and getting me a new one ASAP, refunding all fraudulent charges including the double dipped phone charge.  When the due date for the phone I no longer want came the next month, I get a phone call from their call center..a very rude man telling me that my payment did not go through, how was I paying for the bill this month, they were going to shut the phone off, I was responsible for paying blahblahblah.  I just started laughing.  I said "I cancelled it in the beginning of August, you shut it off, double billed me, then stole my bank card info for a shopping spree so if you call again,  I will have an attorney contact you all about the harassment" .  Payment date, if I still had phone service, is Thursday..let's see if they call.

darling

« Reply #1846 on: October 22, 2013, 10:13:19 AM »

At best, he had low blood sugar so badly that his brain had quit working - otherwise, chemicals not appropriate to a Scout leader were in his blood stream...because nobody would hand over a dozen boys to such an obvious idiot!  Would they? 

Oh, you'd be surprised...

daisy1679

« Reply #1847 on: October 22, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »

I had that happen to me once, but a different store! I was 8 or 9, and all I wanted for my birthday was Bon Jovi - New Jersey. Got it, tore it open, popped it in, and ... Scorpions (the album with Winds of Change). I was so disappointed, especially since the store didn't have any other copies of Bon Jovi in stock, so I had to get a different tape. Never did get that Bon Jovi album...

It's not too late.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bon-jovi-new-jersey-cd

Sorry, just saw this. I actually have their Cross Roads album, so I have all the songs I want off New Jersey  ;) Still love Bon Jovi  ;D

unnalee

« Reply #1848 on: October 22, 2013, 10:40:37 AM »
My office just got a call from a person who sounded like he was in a very busy call center.  He didn't identify himself or the company he supposedly was working for.  Just launched into asking me to give him the make and model of the copier in our office.   ::)  Yeah, like I haven't heard that one before...

So, to have a little fun and see where this went, I asked why he needed to know that information.  He said he represented the Blahblahblah Publishing Co. who were rewriting the operating manual for our copier.  He wanted to verify which one we had to that they could send us a new one.  I put on my best "innocent, young woman who doesn't know any better" voice, and asked all kinds of circular questions, just to keep him on the phone and to stop him scamming someone else. 

He finally got to the point of almost yelling at me to just give him the make and model number, and I finally flatly said, "NO.  This is a scam."  He hung up on me.  :)

Carotte

« Reply #1849 on: October 22, 2013, 10:51:13 AM »
Well it's finally happened to me, my debit card information has been stolen.  The only place it seems like they could have stolen the information from is PayPal.

I bought a computer on line from Ebay last week, I payed for it through Paypal, two days later and my checking account is wiped out.  Thankfully, it's a week before I get payed so they don't get too much, and I've already contacted one merchant and I'm getting my money back from them.  The thief bought a watch on line and was sending it a place in California that according to the merchant is used for forwarding items to other locations, probably overseas. 

They did have my debit card number, security code, phone number and billing address.  I was able to get a hold of my bank last night and cancel the card so they won't be able to make any more purchases.  All in all, it could have been a lot worse that what it is. I'm off to the bank in a few minutes to see about the other charges and hopefully get some more of my money back.

A friend of mine got her Credit Card info hacked twice in 3 months. First was through an online merchant and meant she didn't have a working CC when we left for a 10 day holiday (she had received the new card but not the code, we had friend check her mail for it), second time the card info was copied in an ATM in another country A, she had to cancel the card mid-trip and it's her only one.
She was gripping that she had to jump through so many hoops* this second time around, I told her that the bank fraud department most likely flagged her account and that she should be happy that the law here means the bank has to reimburse her.

'Funny' thing is that this is the most on line and offline personal-info security conscious person I know, who shreds everything that has her name on it and so on. 

(*first time she only had to tell them which where the fraudulent charges, I think it was only one, second time she had to provide a bunch of info that the bank has outlined on their contract, so it's not them making it difficult, it's them doing their job.)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #1850 on: October 22, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »
I was hacked too, just a couple of weeks ago!!  It was my first hacking, and boy was I mad!  I had just set up something with my Paypal account, and the next day the hacking occurred, so I thought it was through there.  So, I wrote to Paypal, to my bank, to the company that I had set up through Paypal, AND to the company whose name showed up on my bank account.   It looked exactly like what I had heard here - a tiny transaction to see that the card worked, then they cleaned out my account.  Fortunately, it was a very small account, so they only got $50.

On Monday morning, I called my bank and my debit card was cancelled for that account.  The bank said that it looked like the card was hacked, not the account, so Paypal was off the hook.  The company I had set it up for was off the hook, too.   I actually received an email from the company that stole the money!! It's a video game company based in Prague.(Google is my friend!)   They said that it looked like I was the victim of fraud, and would I email them the lines from my bank statement that reflected the fraud.  So I emailed them those 2 lines.   The next day I received another email from the company, saying that my money would be refunded!

On Thursday, the money was back in my bank account.  Whew.  Then Friday I received a paper letter from another large company, saying that they'd been hacked and 'someone may have accessed your debit card information, including the security code', and the letter listed all of the companies that were under them, and yes, I had bought something through one of them!  But that card is no longer valid, and the problem is over.  I was refunded!

For the record, I got this idea from a bank, since I did not have a credit card at the time:  Open a 2nd checking account at your same bank(mine let me have it for free), one that only you access and that does *not* have a direct deposit to it.  Use this account for only online transactions.  So, when I pay bills online, I move money into that account for the bills, then pay the bills.  That's how the guy only got $50, and didn't wipe out my entire bank account, which would have been devastating. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #1851 on: October 22, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »
Their membership in the Boy Scouts of America has been revoked permanently and they have been stripped of their positions in their troop.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1852 on: October 22, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »
I just had to get a new debit card recently, too. Only one weird charge showed up - $29 to PeoplePC (the charge said in Boulder, CO, but the only PeoplePC I could find is an ISP out of Georgia). Got a new card, but need to talk to the credit union about where we are on getting that $29 back.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #1853 on: October 22, 2013, 03:59:10 PM »
Got an oldie but a goodie today. Just a few minutes ago had a toner phoner call my office. Luckily the girl that answered the call asked me what to do, as she was going to innocently give them the model number of our copier. I had her transfer the call to me. The caller stated that she needed to update their records and wouldn't I please get that model number for her? When I asked what company she worked for she hung up on me.

It's such an old scam, but I realized the first time I got a call like that, our receptionist hadn't been born yet, so I can't fault her for it! It just burns me up that people are willing to pull this crap and potentially get other people in trouble on the job.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1854 on: October 22, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »
The ironic thing about the rock-topplers is that if you're scared of a "goblin" (as the rock formation was known), why go to a place called Goblin State Park? Apparently, there are thousands of the formations there. Were they going to knock each one over?

Perhaps they should have taken the scouts on a trip to a padded room or somewhere safer.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1855 on: October 22, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »
You don't need to have used your card online or in another country to have your number and information hacked.  Apparently there are devices that can read people's card info wirelessly.  A friend of mine got a card stolen that way. 
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1856 on: October 22, 2013, 05:09:32 PM »
You don't need to have used your card online or in another country to have your number and information hacked.  Apparently there are devices that can read people's card info wirelessly.  A friend of mine got a card stolen that way. 

Or by someone using a skimmer - I've heard of them attached to ATMs, gas pumps, and even hand-helds being used by someone in a position to be trusted with your card for a legitimate purchase.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1857 on: October 22, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »

At best, he had low blood sugar so badly that his brain had quit working - otherwise, chemicals not appropriate to a Scout leader were in his blood stream...because nobody would hand over a dozen boys to such an obvious idiot!  Would they? 

Oh, you'd be surprised...

Not really, not since the day some idiots wondered if Everclear (180 proof or 90% alcohol) would burn - after they'd been drinking some of it...so they went out on their dorm porch to test it with a match & some rags...as the police drove by. 

It was not easy to keep a straight face while reading them the riot act AND taking stripes & pay from them for the administrative discipline.  (As a waitress in college, I had lit liquors with lower alcohol content for flaming desserts and drinks.)

My debit card was hacked the first day of vacation earlier this summer.  I now have an aluminum wallet in my purse just for the debit and credit cards with the RFID (is that the right acronym?) symbol on them.

I also looked up the duct tape wallet instructions and found that the guy doing them apparently got hacked, too - there is now an option to make a duct tape wallet with a layer of aluminum foil in it to protect your credit and debit cards.

I'd prefer a fabric option - but haven't found metallized fabric that I can test to see if it really is going to protect my cards - so I'll stick to the aluminum wallet for now!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:28:18 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1858 on: October 22, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »

Or by someone using a skimmer - I've heard of them attached to ATMs, gas pumps, and even hand-helds being used by someone in a position to be trusted with your card for a legitimate purchase.
They can also have a bogus EFTPOS machine or a hidden camera to steal your PIN.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #1859 on: October 22, 2013, 06:15:40 PM »
A gas station near where I work was busted about a year ago -- someone had placed a device on the telephone line that is used to process payments made at the pump. Police were investigating many complaints of ID theft and narrowed it down to one business that all the victims had in common. No one noticed the extra equipment connected to the line. The owners, who had purchased the business a few months prior, claimed they knew nothing and the equipment was there when they took over. I don't really know the full resolution of the case.

With all of the ways that thieves can steal account information, I don't know that there is a foolproof way to stop it except by keeping a very close watch on all accounts and credit reports and reporting fraud immediately. That said, I think the vast majority of ID theft is still by someone the victim knows -- a family member, friend, romantic partner, house visitor who was left unattended and got into a wallet or desk drawer. If I have maintenance people coming into my apartment, I make sure my mail isn't sitting on my desk and I put important papers that I can't shred into the trunk of my car -- and any papers I have in my car, I take out when I take my car to a mechanic. It takes almost no time for someone to pocket a piece of paper. It sounds like a lot of effort but I keep tax returns, birth certificate, passport, titles, insurance policies, important receipts, etc. in one box and shred anything that doesn't absolutely need to be kept. This is handy too in case of emergency.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams