Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 713342 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1860 on: October 22, 2013, 06:24:22 PM »
I'm seriously considering cutting up my debit card and using the credit card only.  Credit cards have more fraud protection than debits do; if there is a fraudulent charge on your card, you're only out $50, and not even that if they contact you and query an unusual charge.  But if someone empties your savings and checking via your debit card, you're just out of luck.  (US laws, YMMV.) My Paypal account is tied to a small checking account that is NOT tied to my main savings/checking, nor even in the same financial institute.   Local bank vs. credit union.  I keep only a couple of hundred in the decoy account.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1861 on: October 22, 2013, 06:37:46 PM »
I just had to get a new debit card recently, too. Only one weird charge showed up - $29 to PeoplePC (the charge said in Boulder, CO, but the only PeoplePC I could find is an ISP out of Georgia). Got a new card, but need to talk to the credit union about where we are on getting that $29 back.

And I just checked my account and there's a NEW charge from them pending!!!!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #1862 on: October 22, 2013, 06:40:04 PM »
5yo DS is a bit of a budding scammer. He had his birthday party this past weekend and got a superhero toy. He promptly examined the advertising insert to see what toys he doesn't have yet. ::) I loathe those things!!

Today he pointed out a car track toy that he really wants. His heart will break if he doesn't get it. It's all he wants in the whole world. I, being the meanest mom ever, said no. I helped him look it up and it costs $21.26 on Amazon. I informed him that he will have to do a lot of extra work if he wants to earn that much money, but I'm not going to just buy it for him. After some whining, he went to his room to "do art." 5 minutes later he came back upstairs with his creation and offered it to me. I took it enthusiastically and praised his work. Once I had it in my hands, he started cackling madly. He told me, "Ha! I tricked you Mom. That costes 21 dollars." and put his hand out for his money.

He didn't get any from me, but Daddy offered him a quarter for it :)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1863 on: October 22, 2013, 07:27:20 PM »
I purchased RFID blocking wallets for myself, DH and DS after we got our passports and found out they have RFID chips in them. We then found our Disney annual passes have RFID chips in them. I know that some credit/debit cards have them as well. The wallets have foil lining that blocks the chips from being read.

andi

« Reply #1864 on: October 22, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
5yo DS is a bit of a budding scammer. He had his birthday party this past weekend and got a superhero toy. He promptly examined the advertising insert to see what toys he doesn't have yet. ::) I loathe those things!!

Today he pointed out a car track toy that he really wants. His heart will break if he doesn't get it. It's all he wants in the whole world. I, being the meanest mom ever, said no. I helped him look it up and it costs $21.26 on Amazon. I informed him that he will have to do a lot of extra work if he wants to earn that much money, but I'm not going to just buy it for him. After some whining, he went to his room to "do art." 5 minutes later he came back upstairs with his creation and offered it to me. I took it enthusiastically and praised his work. Once I had it in my hands, he started cackling madly. He told me, "Ha! I tricked you Mom. That costes 21 dollars." and put his hand out for his money.

He didn't get any from me, but Daddy offered him a quarter for it :)

That is the best thing I've read n ages!! 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1865 on: October 22, 2013, 08:35:15 PM »
I just had to get a new debit card recently, too. Only one weird charge showed up - $29 to PeoplePC (the charge said in Boulder, CO, but the only PeoplePC I could find is an ISP out of Georgia). Got a new card, but need to talk to the credit union about where we are on getting that $29 back.

On your brand new card? 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1866 on: October 22, 2013, 08:37:16 PM »
I purchased RFID blocking wallets for myself, DH and DS after we got our passports and found out they have RFID chips in them. We then found our Disney annual passes have RFID chips in them. I know that some credit/debit cards have them as well. The wallets have foil lining that blocks the chips from being read.

What happens with these metal wallets when you fly?  Any problems with TSA?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1867 on: October 22, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »

I haven't flown in a year or so - so no idea - I haven't had the metal wallet for more than three months, yet.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #1868 on: October 22, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »

On your brand new card?

Since the transaction is "pending" the online entry isn't specifying if it's a point of service transaction or what, but the CU's fraud office is supposed to call me tomorrow.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Otterpop

« Reply #1869 on: October 23, 2013, 12:11:19 AM »

I haven't flown in a year or so - so no idea - I haven't had the metal wallet for more than three months, yet.

Intriguing.  Will it work to put a piece of tin foil in a regular wallet? I had a lady get really close to me and follow me in the store today.  My purse was zipped so she wasn't trying to steal anything (neither was I ;)).  Either she was store security or she was trying to scan me.  It was uncomfortable for a bit.

Modified to add:  I just Googled it and found sites recommending putting tinfoil in the lining of your purse to block scanners (so the "tin foil hat people" ARE onto something :o).  I think pieces of foil in your wallet would work just as well.  Good to know!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:42:59 AM by Otterpop »

Miss Tickle

« Reply #1870 on: October 23, 2013, 12:44:22 AM »

Intriguing.  Will it work to put a piece of tin foil in a regular wallet? I had a lady get really close to me and follow me in the store today.  My purse was zipped so she wasn't trying to steal anything (neither was I ;)).  Either she was store security or she was trying to scan me.  It was uncomfortable for a bit.

Altoid tins work to hold credit cards and I have two of the metal wallets and have flown now problem.

dawbs

« Reply #1871 on: October 23, 2013, 08:47:12 AM »

I used, for ages, an old fashioned "cigarette case' as a metal wallet, and TSA never minded--it was clearly my wallet, apparently to them.
(it was pretty similar to this:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/108863355/retro-propaganda-wallet-vintage-rosie?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=metal+wallet+rosie+&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=metal+wallet+rosie
I still use something similar, which I just tuck into a 'normal' wallet)

weeblewobble

« Reply #1872 on: October 23, 2013, 09:21:25 AM »
My office just got a call from a person who sounded like he was in a very busy call center.  He didn't identify himself or the company he supposedly was working for.  Just launched into asking me to give him the make and model of the copier in our office.   ::)  Yeah, like I haven't heard that one before...

So, to have a little fun and see where this went, I asked why he needed to know that information.  He said he represented the Blahblahblah Publishing Co. who were rewriting the operating manual for our copier.  He wanted to verify which one we had to that they could send us a new one.  I put on my best "innocent, young woman who doesn't know any better" voice, and asked all kinds of circular questions, just to keep him on the phone and to stop him scamming someone else. 

He finally got to the point of almost yelling at me to just give him the make and model number, and I finally flatly said, "NO.  This is a scam."  He hung up on me.  :)

I want to be your friend.  Teach me your ways.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #1873 on: October 23, 2013, 02:39:45 PM »
You guys are going to love this...

IT WAS MY CHIROPRACTOR. Apparently they have new owners, or the owners got a new card processing service, something like that.

Alas, that information came too late to prevent debit card #2 from being cancelled. I called my CU this morning, explained in brief what was up, and the rep said that we'd have to cancel the new card. I replied "well can I talk to someone who can look into this in more depth?" and she said she'd see if anyone in loss prevention could take the call, and put me on hold. Apparently while I was waiting she cancelled my card and transferred me to a very nice woman who had a heck of a time finding the 1st transaction on my old card. So she talked to card services and called me back. Seems that with their help, she was able to get the merchant ID from the transaction, and found out it was a chiropractic service.

I called the chiropractor and lodged a complaint about the new name appearing on the card transactions. It seems I am far from the first to complain. And I get to wait another week for yet another new debit card.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1874 on: October 23, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »
Your chiropractor is PeoplePC?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."