Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 656711 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1905 on: October 25, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »
" Because we are so sure of everything we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee if you do not receive payment/package within the next 24hrs after you have made the payment for shipping."

You people are so cynical...he's given her a guarantee!

;D

phred246

« Reply #1906 on: October 26, 2013, 12:50:40 AM »
" Because we are so sure of everything we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee if you do not receive payment/package within the next 24hrs after you have made the payment for shipping."

You people are so cynical...he's given her a guarantee!

Several years ago, I answered an ad that turned out to be for a call center. I was told that if I was hired, I would work 4 hours shifts, 6 days a week, and would be assigned a block of 400 phone numbers each shift. They expected 40 of those numbers to actually answer...and I had to get 2 sales appointments out of those 40! I did not bother to find out if they wanted to hire me.

So, 10% was their expectation of answered calls, and 0.5% would be willing to have a salesperson go to their house.
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

StarFaerie

« Reply #1907 on: October 26, 2013, 03:01:02 AM »
Hadn't heard of this scam before. A couple "won" an all expenses paid trip from Australia to Canada, complete with new luggage. When they got there, their new luggage was switched for luggage containing drugs which they then unwittingly brought back to Australia. Luckily they became suspicious about the bags and handed themselves in to Customs when they arrived back.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/elderly-perth-couple-used-as-7m-drug-mules/story-fnii5thm-1226746786878

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1908 on: October 26, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
That is a scary one.

I'm just wondering how the switch was made?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Carotte

« Reply #1909 on: October 26, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »
That is a scary one.

Well, since the drug wasn't hidden in their 'old' lugage and they had 'won' a new set, the new set was probably waiting for them at their hotel from the start. They are probably the ones that transferred their own clothes/stuff to it.
Lugage can be surprisingly heavy empty, it must have had some hidden compartments. From the way it's told it seems like they had the drugs all trough their holiday week, I'd have thought that was a bit too risky...
I wonder what got them suspicious tho.

I had heard of this scam, but it was always with south american countries and mostly young people, and they were hidding the drug just before the 'winners' got on the plane back home (a cab was sent to pick them up and drive to the airport, nice man handling your lugage then slips the drug in it).

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1910 on: October 26, 2013, 07:08:16 PM »
That is a scary one.

Well, since the drug wasn't hidden in their 'old' lugage and they had 'won' a new set, the new set was probably waiting for them at their hotel from the start. They are probably the ones that transferred their own clothes/stuff to it.
Lugage can be surprisingly heavy empty, it must have had some hidden compartments. From the way it's told it seems like they had the drugs all trough their holiday week, I'd have thought that was a bit too risky...

I had heard of this scam, but it was always with south american countries and mostly young people, and they were hidding the drug just before the 'winners' got on the plane back home (a cab was sent to pick them up and drive to the airport, nice man handling your lugage then slips the drug in it).

Maybe, maybe not.

The smugglers could come in and switch it/load it towards the end of the week - after all, they know the exact brand of luggage, the itinerary, your personal info, and possibly have an extra key to the assigned hotel room. It isn't like someone stashing things in your bag at the airport. They have lots of opportunities to switch things around. :-\
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

otterwoman

« Reply #1911 on: October 26, 2013, 07:16:40 PM »
That is a scary one.

Maybe, maybe not.

The smugglers could come in and switch it/load it towards the end of the week - after all, they know the exact brand of luggage, the itinerary, your personal info, and possibly have an extra key to the assigned hotel room. It isn't like someone stashing things in your bag at the airport. They have lots of opportunities to switch things around. :-\

I'll give them this much credit, having an all-expense paid vacation is a lot better than the old way of smuggling; swallowing a few dozen condoms filled with drugs.

JoW

« Reply #1912 on: October 26, 2013, 07:23:05 PM »
That is a scary one.

Another possibility.  The vacation may have included a limo to the hotel then back to the airport.  The drug-packed luggage may have been in the trunk of the limo when they were picked up. 

desireesgranny

• www.TickerFactory.com
« Reply #1913 on: October 26, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »
I was hacked too, just a couple of weeks ago!!  It was my first hacking, and boy was I mad!  I had just set up something with my Paypal account, and the next day the hacking occurred, so I thought it was through there.  So, I wrote to Paypal, to my bank, to the company that I had set up through Paypal, AND to the company whose name showed up on my bank account.   It looked exactly like what I had heard here - a tiny transaction to see that the card worked, then they cleaned out my account.  Fortunately, it was a very small account, so they only got $50.

On Monday morning, I called my bank and my debit card was cancelled for that account.  The bank said that it looked like the card was hacked, not the account, so Paypal was off the hook.  The company I had set it up for was off the hook, too.   I actually received an email from the company that stole the money!! It's a video game company based in Prague.(Google is my friend!)   They said that it looked like I was the victim of fraud, and would I email them the lines from my bank statement that reflected the fraud.  So I emailed them those 2 lines.   The next day I received another email from the company, saying that my money would be refunded!

On Thursday, the money was back in my bank account.  Whew.  Then Friday I received a paper letter from another large company, saying that they'd been hacked and 'someone may have accessed your debit card information, including the security code', and the letter listed all of the companies that were under them, and yes, I had bought something through one of them!  But that card is no longer valid, and the problem is over.  I was refunded!

For the record, I got this idea from a bank, since I did not have a credit card at the time:  Open a 2nd checking account at your same bank(mine let me have it for free), one that only you access and that does *not* have a direct deposit to it.  Use this account for only online transactions.  So, when I pay bills online, I move money into that account for the bills, then pay the bills.  That's how the guy only got $50, and didn't wipe out my entire bank account, which would have been devastating.

What an excellent idea! I can't wait until the bank opens Monday morning. I'm going to see if my bank will do this. Thanks!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1914 on: October 26, 2013, 11:28:41 PM »
I watched the video interview.  Apparently their luggage was switched at the airport on the flight back home.  They realized it was a bit heavier than they expected and went right to customs to let them know. 

Iris

« Reply #1915 on: October 26, 2013, 11:44:34 PM »
I watched the video interview.  Apparently their luggage was switched at the airport on the flight back home.  They realized it was a bit heavier than they expected and went right to customs to let them know.

That's very clever of them. My luggage would have to be ~10kg heavier before I'd think anything other than "Hmmm, I thought this was lighter..." and absentmindedly bent over to pat the drug sniffing dog.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Tia2

« Reply #1916 on: October 27, 2013, 05:47:45 AM »

That's very clever of them. My luggage would have to be ~10kg heavier before I'd think anything other than "Hmmm, I thought this was lighter..." and absentmindedly bent over to pat the drug sniffing dog.

I'm wondering if they'd started having an odd feeling about the holiday at some point and were looking for the catch by the time they travelled home.

KarenK

« Reply #1917 on: October 27, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »
I got this today. Apparently I'm in big trouble, but never fear, I will get Nigerian money

Anti-Terrorist and Monitory Crime Division.
Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Daniel McMullen (Special Agent in Charge)

Attn: Beneficiary,

This is to officially inform you that it has come to our notice and we have
thoroughly investigated with the help of our Intelligence Monitoring Network
System that you are having an illegal Transaction with Impostors. We the Federal
Bureau Of Investigation want you to stop further communication with any
Impostors claiming to be official. During our Investigation, we noticed that the
reason why you have not received your payment is because you have not fulfilled
your Financial Obligation given to you in respect of your Contract/Inheritance
Payment. Therefore, we have contacted the Federal Ministry of Finance Nigeria on
your behalf and they have brought a solution to your problem by coordinating
your payment in totalDollars5,900,000.00(Five Million Nine Hundred Thousand
Dollars).

Since the Federal Bureau of Investigation is involved in this transaction, you
have to be rest assured for this is 100% risk free it is our duty to protect
you. We the Federal Bureau Of Investigation want you to contact the ATM CARD
CENTER via email for their requirements to proceed and procure your Approval
Slip on your behalf which will cost youDollars200 and note that your Approval
Slip which contains details of the agent who will process your transaction.

CONTACT INFORMATION
NAME: Mr. Kelvin Williams
Address: 18 Koffi Crescent Apapa Lagos Nigeria
Email: kelvinwilliams@infofruad-fbi-gov.net.tf

Do contact Mr. Kelvin Williams of the ATM CARD CENTER with your details, and you
full information So your files would be updated after which he will send the
payment information which you'll use in making payment ofDollars200 via Western
Union Money Transfer or Money Gram Transfer for the procurement of your Approval
Slip after which the delivery of your ATM CARD will be effected to your
designated home address without any further delay. We order you get back to this
office after you have contacted the ATM SWIFT CARD CENTER and we do await your
response so we can move on with our Investigation and make sure your ATM SWIFT
CARD gets to you.

Thanks and hope to read from you soon.

Daniel McMullen
Special Agent in Charge
Criminal Division
FBI Los Angeles
1000 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
Email: kelvinwilliams@infofruad-fbi-gov.net.tf
(424) 231-8570

Note: Do disregard any email you get from any impostors or offices claiming to
be in possession of your ATM CARD, you are hereby advice only to be in contact
with Mr. Kelvin Williams of the ATM CARD CENTER who is the rightful person to
deal with in regards to your ATM CARD PAYMENT and forward any emails you get
from impostors to this office so we could act upon and commence investigation.
notify the sender immediately if you have received this email by mistake and
delete this email from your system.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1918 on: October 27, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
you are having an illegal Transaction with Impostors.
Would a legal Transaction with Impostors be OK?  Or an illegal Transaction with Legitimate Persons?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1919 on: October 27, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
I just received a message from Paypal. The link didn't work, and I was glad because I was hesitant about clicking it anyway. They are  putting extra security on my account, and if the link doesn't work I was to log into my account to release it. OK. I only was sent to Paypal once, and therefore I will never donate to that charity again because it was such a mess*. I do not have my account number or a password written on my magic secret paper, so I can't do a thing.

Extra security sounds like a good thing!

Was this a scam in the making, or was it legitimate goof-up on someone's part? Hummmmm. Don't much care.

*I have tried to order a few things online, but if Paypal was my only option, I didn't complete it. I guess I understand why sellers may want it for ease of bookkeeping, but I will have nothing to do with it after the mess of back and forth with them and being double-charged, etc. Sounds like "I'm never shopping there again", doesn't it.