News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2017, 07:13:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2241645 times)

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1935 on: October 29, 2013, 08:34:11 AM »
Just got a new one - it looks like a wedding invitation, but the couple is not named.

ETA: from a little googling, this one's a phishing scam...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:39:31 AM by Harriet Jones »

ACBNYC

« Reply #1936 on: October 29, 2013, 08:37:10 AM »
From today's spam box: "Life is short. Have an affair."

That's a real company and their real tagline.  :-\ Ashley Madison...a dating service for married people.

Jones

« Reply #1937 on: October 29, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
Um...both sad, and Ew. Glad my spam box recognized it even if it's semi legit.
“A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems.” CS Lewis

Twik

« Reply #1938 on: October 29, 2013, 09:16:48 AM »
Um...both sad, and Ew. Glad my spam box recognized it even if it's semi legit.

I've heard that they actually don't provide their promised services very well. Imagine that - a service for cheaters that cheats itself.

I suppose they don't expect that many users will complain publicly.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

schnauzermom

« Reply #1939 on: October 29, 2013, 09:28:08 AM »
Just got a new one - it looks like a wedding invitation, but the couple is not named.

My brother and I both got that one, last week.

Karen

Reader

« Reply #1940 on: October 29, 2013, 10:10:09 AM »

My brother and I both got that one, last week.

Karen

I've gotten 4 in the last week.  Since I knew none of my friends were fetting married, I figured it was a scam.

Thipu1

« Reply #1941 on: October 29, 2013, 10:30:57 AM »
We've been fortunate so far but we got one today.

It was a phone call.  Since Mr.Thipu was out doing some shopping in Chinatown I answered because he might have a question in the grocery. 

There was no immediate answer to my 'Hello' but a lot of chatter in the background.  RED FLAG.

After my second 'Hello' someone with an indistinguishable name responded to tell me that s/he was calling from mumble-jumble call center about a 'problem' with the warranty on our computer.  RED FLAG 2.

That was it.  I told the caller that we have no problems with our computers and hung up.

We couldn't possible have any warranties on our computers.  Mr. Thipu buys components and builds his own.

I almost wish I'd hung on to hear more of the spiel but the connection was so bad it wasn't worth the effort. 

Shalamar

« Reply #1942 on: October 29, 2013, 12:11:13 PM »
When my 16-year-old daughter was taking her road test last August, my husband and I sat in the waiting room.  There was another fellow sitting close to us, and he suddenly said "She didn't pass."  I didn't even realize he was talking to me until he waved to get my attention and repeated "She didn't pass."  I said "You mean my daughter?  How do you know?"  He pointed out the window and said "I was watching, and she failed her parallel parking."  I was quite upset, but not prepared for what happened next - he pulled out a business card and said "I teach driving.  You need to send her to me.  I'll teach her properly."  Annoyed, I said "She's had driver's ed and lots of practice.  She doesn't need any more lessons."  He insisted "No, she needs more training.  I'll train her."   To be polite, I didn't rip up his card and throw it in his face the way I was dying to.

The driver's ed version of ambulance chasing, I suppose!

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #1943 on: October 29, 2013, 02:26:47 PM »
So did she really pass and he was just lying to you?
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Shalamar

« Reply #1944 on: October 29, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »
No, she did in fact fail - he wasn't wrong about that.  But man, way to rub salt in the wound.  "Hey, your kid just failed!  Here's my card."

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1945 on: October 29, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »
I would not be surprised if the guy had found that "tip" in some sort of how-to-promote-yourself advice. Lurk at the licensing office & offer services. Not sure how thrilled the office would be, however.

I knew someone who was into a multi-level-marketing program. On advice of his program, he'd hang out in bookstores, at the self-help section. "Say, I see you are looking at career books. Let me tell you about a great opportunity…"

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

lilfox

« Reply #1946 on: October 29, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »
I would not be surprised if the guy had found that "tip" in some sort of how-to-promote-yourself advice. Lurk at the licensing office & offer services. Not sure how thrilled the office would be, however.

I knew someone who was into a multi-level-marketing program. On advice of his program, he'd hang out in bookstores, at the self-help section. "Say, I see you are looking at career books. Let me tell you about a great opportunity…"

I was helping run my parents' garage sale by manning the cash box when I was solicited by a guy with a "great job opportunity" which he implied was because I was wasting my natural sales talent working for chump change.  I still can't believe that my parents said I should meet him for lunch to hear more (they had to know it was an MLM), and worse, I actually did it (did not know what an MLM was).  McDonald's lunch, I paid for my own, and he would not tell me the name of the company unless I committed to ... something or other, probably a 2 hour orientation.  I do remember that it wasn't just one product, but many common household products and groceries that I could buy at their discounted bulk rate and retail myself, or something.  Thanks but no thanks.

Snooks

« Reply #1947 on: October 29, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »
Well it's been nice knowing you all but I won the Gmail lottery today so I'll be gone spending my "£480,000.00 Thousand British Pounds only".

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1948 on: October 29, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »
So is that £480,000,000 or £480,000?
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

purplerainbow

« Reply #1949 on: October 30, 2013, 06:32:51 AM »
To be honest, if Snooks is in the US, then I'm pretty sure there's a good exchange rate.  ;)