Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 657246 times)

cwm

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1935 on: October 28, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »
Got one today. One of the institutions we work with has had their phone systems hacked. How do we know? Well, they're calling us with dead air on their end. As we are a separate company and not an actual member, it doesn't work to try to convince us that they need our personal banking information.

When the salespeople call back to the main number, there's a new message on the automated system reminding everyone not to give out any personal information by telephone unless their clients call in first to make sure they're talking with an authorized representative of their company.

Micah

« Reply #1936 on: October 28, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »
Speaking of lawyers.....

This happened quite a while ago. The year before I met my other half, he rear ended someone while he was driving. The road was very narrow and VERY windy. Blind corner after blind corner. It was fairly late at night and the other driver had come to a complete STOP in the middle of the road! He'd also switched off his lights, so OH didn't see him at all until he smashed into him. After he hit him, the other driver sped off. OH's radiator was completely totalled, so he couldn't follow him.

OH basically didn't think any more of it, other than telling the story as "a weird thing that happened to me." Well, just after I met him, he got nasty, official looking letter from a law firm. The firm said that his actions had severely damaged their client's car, as well as causing a great deal of pain and suffering to their client. They demanded five thousand dollars in compensation. Payable immediately, or they'd be taking him to court. OH freaked! He didn't have that kind of money, not to mention that he hadn't been the one at fault! There had been no police report, so his word against the other person's. I told him to ignore it. He'd either hear from them again, or he wouldn't. Never hear from them again.

I reckon it was a fishing expedition on the firm's part. They knew they didn't have a leg to stand on so they thought they'd send the letter in the hopes that OH would be so freaked that he'd just pay to avoid the threat of court  >:(
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1937 on: October 28, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »
An elderly friend of my father's got a letter like this years ago.  He'd been in an accident; the other party was completely at fault.  They'd pulled out of a driveway without looking and he hit them.  On top of that, EF's first language was not English.

Fortunately, he came to my Dad with the letter.  Who went with him to his insurance agent.  Who called the lawyer involved.  And informed him that his clients were entirely at fault in the accident and that if he wanted to go forward with the suit, EF would be counter suing for pain and suffering.

And that was the end of it.

I repeat:  There should be a special circle of hell right behind child molesters and murderers for people who (attempt to) scam the elderly.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1938 on: October 28, 2013, 06:12:03 PM »
A friend of mine, who is a doctor, lived in the US for a while and told me this story.

His kids had some friends over, children of a colleague of his, also a doctor. At some point, the children were running, one of the guests slipped and cut his head on the window sill. Both fathers looked at it, applied a bandage, checked that no harm was done and sent the child off to play. Then, his colleague asked him if he had home insurance. "Because, if you do, I am going to go ahead and sue you, to get some money out of it."

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1939 on: October 28, 2013, 07:18:40 PM »
An attempted scammer story that will give you faith in your fellow humans.

BIL was the 2nd car at a light. The light turned green, car in front waited till intersection was clear, pulled out. BIL Followed.

Woman coming down cross street runs the red and T-bones BIL. Starts yelling and screaming how BIL hit her (With the middle of his passenger door  ::) . Woman is having 9 kinds of fits calling BIL irresponsible teen (Wasn't a teen).

Multiple witnesses pull into parking lots, make sure BIL is ok, call 911 to get him out of the car. Comfort the young child of Screaming woman - who is ignoring the child except to scream that BIL nearly killed the child. And they all give the cops and BIL their information. Then later most of them spoke to the insurance company and confirmed BIL was not at fault. She had to pay damages to BIL.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

GregariousIntrovert

« Reply #1940 on: October 28, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »
oooh DH just got a voicemail from "verizon technical support" who wants to give him a $40 credit if he just goes to verizon40.com and logs in with his account info.  Too bad I'm the one with the account.  Nice try! 

Jones

« Reply #1941 on: October 29, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »
From today's spam box: "Life is short. Have an affair."

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #1942 on: October 29, 2013, 09:34:11 AM »
Just got a new one - it looks like a wedding invitation, but the couple is not named.

ETA: from a little googling, this one's a phishing scam...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:39:31 AM by Harriet Jones »

ACBNYC

« Reply #1943 on: October 29, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »
From today's spam box: "Life is short. Have an affair."

That's a real company and their real tagline.  :-\ Ashley Madison...a dating service for married people.

Jones

« Reply #1944 on: October 29, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »
Um...both sad, and Ew. Glad my spam box recognized it even if it's semi legit.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1945 on: October 29, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »
Um...both sad, and Ew. Glad my spam box recognized it even if it's semi legit.

I've heard that they actually don't provide their promised services very well. Imagine that - a service for cheaters that cheats itself.

I suppose they don't expect that many users will complain publicly.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

schnauzermom

« Reply #1946 on: October 29, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
Just got a new one - it looks like a wedding invitation, but the couple is not named.

My brother and I both got that one, last week.

Karen

Brock

Reader

« Reply #1947 on: October 29, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »

My brother and I both got that one, last week.

Karen

I've gotten 4 in the last week.  Since I knew none of my friends were fetting married, I figured it was a scam.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1948 on: October 29, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
We've been fortunate so far but we got one today.

It was a phone call.  Since Mr.Thipu was out doing some shopping in Chinatown I answered because he might have a question in the grocery. 

There was no immediate answer to my 'Hello' but a lot of chatter in the background.  RED FLAG.

After my second 'Hello' someone with an indistinguishable name responded to tell me that s/he was calling from mumble-jumble call center about a 'problem' with the warranty on our computer.  RED FLAG 2.

That was it.  I told the caller that we have no problems with our computers and hung up.

We couldn't possible have any warranties on our computers.  Mr. Thipu buys components and builds his own.

I almost wish I'd hung on to hear more of the spiel but the connection was so bad it wasn't worth the effort. 

Shalamar

« Reply #1949 on: October 29, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »
When my 16-year-old daughter was taking her road test last August, my husband and I sat in the waiting room.  There was another fellow sitting close to us, and he suddenly said "She didn't pass."  I didn't even realize he was talking to me until he waved to get my attention and repeated "She didn't pass."  I said "You mean my daughter?  How do you know?"  He pointed out the window and said "I was watching, and she failed her parallel parking."  I was quite upset, but not prepared for what happened next - he pulled out a business card and said "I teach driving.  You need to send her to me.  I'll teach her properly."  Annoyed, I said "She's had driver's ed and lots of practice.  She doesn't need any more lessons."  He insisted "No, she needs more training.  I'll train her."   To be polite, I didn't rip up his card and throw it in his face the way I was dying to.

The driver's ed version of ambulance chasing, I suppose!