Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 456698 times)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1950 on: October 29, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »
So did she really pass and he was just lying to you?
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Shalamar

« Reply #1951 on: October 29, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
No, she did in fact fail - he wasn't wrong about that.  But man, way to rub salt in the wound.  "Hey, your kid just failed!  Here's my card."

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1952 on: October 29, 2013, 04:36:35 PM »
I would not be surprised if the guy had found that "tip" in some sort of how-to-promote-yourself advice. Lurk at the licensing office & offer services. Not sure how thrilled the office would be, however.

I knew someone who was into a multi-level-marketing program. On advice of his program, he'd hang out in bookstores, at the self-help section. "Say, I see you are looking at career books. Let me tell you about a great opportunity…"

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

lilfox

« Reply #1953 on: October 29, 2013, 04:59:17 PM »
I would not be surprised if the guy had found that "tip" in some sort of how-to-promote-yourself advice. Lurk at the licensing office & offer services. Not sure how thrilled the office would be, however.

I knew someone who was into a multi-level-marketing program. On advice of his program, he'd hang out in bookstores, at the self-help section. "Say, I see you are looking at career books. Let me tell you about a great opportunity…"

I was helping run my parents' garage sale by manning the cash box when I was solicited by a guy with a "great job opportunity" which he implied was because I was wasting my natural sales talent working for chump change.  I still can't believe that my parents said I should meet him for lunch to hear more (they had to know it was an MLM), and worse, I actually did it (did not know what an MLM was).  McDonald's lunch, I paid for my own, and he would not tell me the name of the company unless I committed to ... something or other, probably a 2 hour orientation.  I do remember that it wasn't just one product, but many common household products and groceries that I could buy at their discounted bulk rate and retail myself, or something.  Thanks but no thanks.

Snooks

« Reply #1954 on: October 29, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »
Well it's been nice knowing you all but I won the Gmail lottery today so I'll be gone spending my "£480,000.00 Thousand British Pounds only".

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1955 on: October 29, 2013, 09:39:05 PM »
So is that £480,000,000 or £480,000?

purplerainbow

« Reply #1956 on: October 30, 2013, 07:32:51 AM »
To be honest, if Snooks is in the US, then I'm pretty sure there's a good exchange rate.  ;)

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #1957 on: October 30, 2013, 09:17:54 AM »
Yes, Luci, that Paypal message is fraudulent.  The scammer wants your Paypal account ID and password.  It's just like the messages from banks that you have no account with. It's called phishing; if they send out enough emails, some sucker will bite on it and they can empty his account.

In general, if ANY email that purports to be from a financial institute wants you to click here and enter your ID and password, it's fraudulent.  If you think that it might be legitimate, go to the site using your bookmarks/favorites/typing it in, never by clicking the message's link.

Thank you for confirming my thoughts. When I get those messages "from my bank", I pick up the phone, but no such recourse with Paypal.

You can forward the email to "spoof@paypal.com" and they'll check it out for you. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #1958 on: October 30, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »
I just had an email from my bank - that claimed that it was coming from MY email address...after three days & three messages, I clicked on the link and got a message that the page had been taken down for fraudulent activity.

That's what I thought....

But the name that was showing was first initial middle name at current isp - which is a variation of my name that I haven't used since I left the military...in 1985.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1959 on: October 30, 2013, 06:02:47 PM »
Don't click on links like that VorFemme! If there's a problem with you bank in an email, go to your bank site directly without clicking the link.

Can you do a scan of your PC? There's still a chance it got something nasty!

Snooks

« Reply #1960 on: October 30, 2013, 06:18:52 PM »
So is that £480,000,000 or £480,000?

I'm really not sure.  I'll find out after I send the nice people my bank details though :D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #1961 on: October 30, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »
Don't click on links like that VorFemme! If there's a problem with you bank in an email, go to your bank site directly without clicking the link.

Can you do a scan of your PC? There's still a chance it got something nasty!

Clicked through after it had apparently been reported and the site locked out with a warning screen - I keep two anti-virus programs (compatible) on the computer, update, and run them on a regular basis.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1962 on: October 30, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »
Even then it might not be safe.

Tia2

« Reply #1963 on: October 30, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »
I got notification of my tax refund being altered today.  The problem is, I'm in the UK and don't file a tax return (here, if you earn under a certain amount, all taxes are done by your employer).

It was very good, though - literate and vaguely believable.

Jones

« Reply #1964 on: October 31, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »
And a final update to the Abby Winkler/My Kid Has Cancer case:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=27452137

Please note, not only did she fake it with two of her kids, but she herself claims to have beaten Ovarian cancer. Since there's no mention of child abuse charges, only fraud, I'm hoping that means she didn't administer any drugs to make the children appear ill (thank heavens). I'm kinda surprised the jail sentence wasn't stiffer, as she lied about her daughter having cancer at a custodial interference hearing--does that not count as lying in court? I'm very glad that the judge has ordered therapy.

The youngest is living with her dad, the older two are living with relatives in Texas. Abby has lost custody. So they are safe from any false cancer scams in the future.