Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 635598 times)

MyFamily

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1965 on: October 31, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »
And a final update to the Abby Winkler/My Kid Has Cancer case:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=27452137

Please note, not only did she fake it with two of her kids, but she herself claims to have beaten Ovarian cancer. Since there's no mention of child abuse charges, only fraud, I'm hoping that means she didn't administer any drugs to make the children appear ill (thank heavens). I'm kinda surprised the jail sentence wasn't stiffer, as she lied about her daughter having cancer at a custodial interference hearing--does that not count as lying in court? I'm very glad that the judge has ordered therapy.

The youngest is living with her dad, the older two are living with relatives in Texas. Abby has lost custody. So they are safe from any false cancer scams in the future.

I'm sure it was part of a plea agreement so that the kids wouldn't have to testify against their mother.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #1966 on: October 31, 2013, 07:44:32 PM »
Yes, Luci, that Paypal message is fraudulent.  The scammer wants your Paypal account ID and password.  It's just like the messages from banks that you have no account with. It's called phishing; if they send out enough emails, some sucker will bite on it and they can empty his account.

In general, if ANY email that purports to be from a financial institute wants you to click here and enter your ID and password, it's fraudulent.  If you think that it might be legitimate, go to the site using your bookmarks/favorites/typing it in, never by clicking the message's link.

Thank you for confirming my thoughts. When I get those messages "from my bank", I pick up the phone, but no such recourse
 with Paypal.

I know for Pay Pal, it's spoof@paypal.com, I got that email myself, and that's the email I used. I believe it's the same spoof@ebay.com for Ebay, not sure

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1967 on: October 31, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
Every once in a while we get messages from the FBI (US). I forward them on to an email I have for them.

Just for the record: We are not clueless :  We know not to send email and password and other information, or $ to people we have not contacted.

Thank you for the spoof@paypal.com. I can not use it because Lucas is so good at deleting my SPAM. He really knows that I am not interested in young Asian females or investment oportunities or sexual aids and meds, too.

Does it really do any good to report all of this stuf? I'm thinking "deaf ears" from my childhood, or now "too darn busy - too much crap" for these days.

squeakers

« Reply #1968 on: November 01, 2013, 02:06:18 AM »
Moocher I mentioned a few pages back... has not arrived here yet.   Apparently they missed their connecting bus while in Las Vegas.  So are stuck there.

Which is odd because I thought grey hound would just let you board the next bus bound for where you were headed as long as there was room.

I wonder if the initial bus money was spent doing who knows what.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1969 on: November 01, 2013, 06:11:42 AM »
Moocher I mentioned a few pages back... has not arrived here yet.   Apparently they missed their connecting bus while in Las Vegas.  So are stuck there.

Which is odd because I thought grey hound would just let you board the next bus bound for where you were headed as long as there was room.

I wonder if the initial bus money was spent doing who knows what.

Greyhound used to. But The last time I travelled, they had changed the terms. I had to book for a specific bus and had to pay to change that for any reason. Perhaps the moochers are in the same boat. They have missed their bus and need to pay for the change in tickets, but don't have any money. It isn't much - I would have had to pay about ten dollars? But that is a lot for a mooch - if you want everything for free, you don't generally carry much cash!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Carotte

« Reply #1970 on: November 01, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »
Every once in a while we get messages from the FBI (US). I forward them on to an email I have for them.

Just for the record: We are not clueless :  We know not to send email and password and other information, or $ to people we have not contacted.

Thank you for the spoof@paypal.com. I can not use it because Lucas is so good at deleting my SPAM. He really knows that I am not interested in young Asian females or investment oportunities or sexual aids and meds, too.

Does it really do any good to report all of this stuf? I'm thinking "deaf ears" from my childhood, or now "too darn busy - too much crap" for these days.

Just asked a friend who kinda works with this kind of stuff, he said that reporting it doesn't affect the number of spam mail you'll receive because they can't/won't go after the spammers, but that they can ask the ISP to take down the fishing/fake web-site.
So yeah, if no one tells them that notebay.com got corrupted they wont know to try and take it down.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1971 on: November 01, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »
I got locked out of my Yahoo email account once after forwarding 3 spam emails to the spoof/reporting spam addresses... because apparently I was "sending spam".

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #1972 on: November 01, 2013, 09:20:12 AM »
Just got one - the content is unremarkable, but the scammer is supposedly from Ireland. You'd think that an Irish person would have a better grasp of the English language.

My Dearest one

I am Mrs. Mary David, from Ireland married t o late Dr. Mark David, Who died on 15 April 2005. I write to relate to you of my intention to use my Fund (Seven million united state dollars) for charity work in your country.

Am not in good health but God is alive despite the fact that my doctor has confirmed that I may not survive the surgery operation that will be performed on me soon. I do not want the bank/corrupt government to have my money if I don't make succeed the operation; my health is in the hand of God.

If you can be faithfully help and use my fund to care for the poor and less privilege in your country,

I am waiting to read from you for more details on my intention to help the poor and the needy in your country.

Your sister in God,
Mrs. Mary David.

kategillian

« Reply #1973 on: November 01, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
What makes me so mad, is the people that actually get taken in by these things. I was speaking to a friend of mine, and he was telling me about an opportunity he had heard about, something about selling knives door to door? At the beginning of the conversation, I almost said wow! Who falls for those scams! And then he said, don't you think that's a good idea? We never spoke about it again, but I pray he didn't actually send money to these people

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1974 on: November 01, 2013, 09:38:57 AM »
Poor Ms. David, her husband was always late.  8)

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #1975 on: November 01, 2013, 09:45:33 AM »
Just got one - the content is unremarkable, but the scammer is supposedly from Ireland. You'd think that an Irish person would have a better grasp of the English language.

My Dearest one

I am Mrs. Mary David, from Ireland married t o late Dr. Mark David, Who died on 15 April 2005. I write to relate to you of my intention to use my Fund (Seven million united state dollars) for charity work in your country.

Am not in good health but God is alive despite the fact that my doctor has confirmed that I may not survive the surgery operation that will be performed on me soon. I do not want the bank/corrupt government to have my money if I don't make succeed the operation; my health is in the hand of God.

If you can be faithfully help and use my fund to care for the poor and less privilege in your country,

I am waiting to read from you for more details on my intention to help the poor and the needy in your country.

Your sister in God,
Mrs. Mary David.

Well, it's nice to know that Nietzsche was wrong and God is alive.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1976 on: November 01, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »
What makes me so mad, is the people that actually get taken in by these things. I was speaking to a friend of mine, and he was telling me about an opportunity he had heard about, something about selling knives door to door? At the beginning of the conversation, I almost said wow! Who falls for those scams! And then he said, don't you think that's a good idea? We never spoke about it again, but I pray he didn't actually send money to these people

You'd be amazed at the otherwise intelligent people who do get sucked in on these things. 

When we first connected to the Internet in the library, I was a little more sophisticated than others, thanks to Mr. Thipu.  We received a classic, early Nigerian scam.  I printed it out and passed it around for a laugh.  The Uber-Boss seriously considered it. 

(Where is the batting-your-head-against-a-brick wall smiley when you need one?)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1977 on: November 01, 2013, 01:04:56 PM »
Sorry, Thipu, I can't help with smileys. Too many scammer smiley sites!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1978 on: November 01, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »
Sorry, Thipu, I can't help with smileys. Too many scammer smiley sites!
No brick wall, but I do have a desk.

Toner is my forum buddy.  No scams or malware there, dozens of smilies. http://www3.telus.net/smile/
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1979 on: November 07, 2013, 12:26:08 AM »
Got a PayPal phishing email today. It was something about updating security, but the email address and links in email were not PayPal related.