Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 606056 times)

staceym

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2040 on: December 09, 2013, 11:55:48 AM »
That's hilarious Fi! Guess he needs to vary his lines.

Don't know if I mentioned this one, but someone tried a 'train fare' scam on some friends of mine years ago. He said he was stuck in Big City and couldn't get home to Far Town. The friends happened to live in Far Town ;D and offered him a ride, as well as asking him what street he lived on and whether he knew so-and-so, etc. They sad he couldn't back away fast enough. :P

I've had this happen to me somewhat; I have had people give me a sob story and ask for bus fare.  I tell them sorry, I don't have any cash but I have bus tickets if that would help (our public transporation you can use cash, tickets or pass) - and surprise they decline
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:15:40 PM by staceym »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2041 on: December 09, 2013, 12:07:24 PM »
There was a young man standing outside the electronics store trying to sell two video games to raise cash. We have a Wii, but only game on our desktop, so I was not in his market. I did helpfully suggest Craigslist or half.com, but he told me that would take too long.  :(

PeterM

« Reply #2042 on: December 09, 2013, 01:58:09 PM »
I've had this happen to me somewhat; I have had people give me a sob story and ask for bus fare.  I tell them sorry, I don't have any cash but I have bus tickets if that would help (our public transporation you can use cash, tickets or pass) - and surprise they decline

I've had good luck with giving bus tickets in those situations, but probably because I've only offered them to people I believed might not be trying to scam me and whom I might have given cash if I'd had it. Whether they were scamming me or not they all had the good grace to thank me for the tickets they'd likely use eventually.

cwm

« Reply #2043 on: December 09, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »

I've had good luck with giving bus tickets in those situations, but probably because I've only offered them to people I believed might not be trying to scam me and whom I might have given cash if I'd had it. Whether they were scamming me or not they all had the good grace to thank me for the tickets they'd likely use eventually.

There was one guy in the outdoor shopping center that's famous in the area for its buskers, he was always sitting outside cheerfully with his dog. He'd never harass anyone, just sit there and sing songs and have his dog do tricks. I asked him one day if he'd like a hamburger from McDonald's, and his face just lit up like I'd offered him a hundred dollar bill. I got three, two for him and one for his dog, and he was so nice about it.

Most of the buskers/hustlers in the area I won't even look at, I'll glass my eyes over them, but this guy was just always polite to everyone. I looked at it like if he was honestly in need, I gave him a meal. If he wasn't, at least I'm only out $3 for burgers, and he still got to eat while he was out there that day.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2044 on: December 09, 2013, 06:17:58 PM »
The US Ambassador to Nigeria is going ot deliver my money in person.  Poor guy needs sa bit of remedial English coursework.

OFFICE OF THE US AMBASSADOR TO NIGERIA
11 GARKI ROAD ABUJA
ABUJA, NIGERIA.
WITHOUT MINCING WORDS, I AM CONVINCED 100% THAT YOU HAVE HAD BITTER EXPERIENCE WITH VARIOUS SCAMMERS CLAIMING TO BE HIGH GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS BANKS AND THEREBY DEFRAUDING YOU OF YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY. THE ACTIVITIES OF THESE SCAMMERS HAS CHANGED YOUR PERSPECTIVE ABOUT CONDUCTING BUSINESS ON THE INTERNET AND YOU NOW BELIEVED THERE IS NO GENUINE BUSINESS THAT CAN BE CONDUCTED ON THE INTERNET. WELL I AM AMERICAN AND THE INTERNET WAS CREATED BY AMERICANS FOR THE PURPOSE OF CREATING; AWARENESS FOR YOUR PRODUCTS/ SERVICES AND CONDUCTING GENUINE BUSINESS WITH EASE. I AM FULLY COMMITTED TO DELIVER THE DIPLOMATIC CONSIGNMENT TO YOU.I Am A FULL CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES BUT I WAS ON A MISSION HERE IN NIGERIA AS A US AMBASSADOR TO NIGERIA.
HENCE, I AM MAKING EVERY EFFORTS TO ENSURE THAT NO CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES IS CHEATED BY NIGERIA/BENIN REPUBLIC. THEREFORE, I NEED YOUR UTMOST SUPPORT AND UNDERSTANDING TO ACTUALIZE THIS DREAM. I ALSO WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND THAT I DO TRUST YOU AND I EXPECT YOU TO SHOW ME THE SAME TRUST AND RESPECT IN RETURN SINCE TRUST IS A 2-WAY STREET. ON THE OTHER HAND, TRUST IS A relationship OF RELIANCE. TRUST ALSO MEANS BEING ABLE TO PREDICT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE WILL DO AND WHAT SITUATIONS WILL OCCUR.
I SHALL BE COMING TO YOUR COUNTRY FOR AN OFFICIAL MEETING ON FRIDAY AND I WILL BE BRINGING YOUR FUNDS OF $15.5M ALONG WITH ME BUT THIS TIME I WILL NOT GO THROUGH CUSTOMS BECAUSE AS AN AMBASSADOR TO NIGERIA, I AM A US GOVERNMENT AGENT AND I HAVE THE VETO POWER TO GO THROUGH CUSTOMS. AS SOON AS I AM THROUGH WITH THE MEETING I SHALL THEN PROCEED TO YOUR ADDRESS. (SEND YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER AND THE ADDRESS WHERE YOU WANT ME TO BRING THE PACKAGE).
YOU HAVE REALLY PAID SO MUCH IN THIS DELIVERY THAT MAKES ME WONDER. YOU ARE A VERY LUCKY PERSON BECAUSE I SHALL BE BRINGING IT MYSELF AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE CAN DO ABOUT IT. CHECK HERE: http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/biography.html  YOUR PACKAGE($15.5M) MUST BE REGISTERED AS AN AMBASSADORIAL PACKAGE FOR ME TO DEFEAT ALL ODDS AND THE COST OF THE REGISTERING  IS $150.THE FEE MUST BE PAID IN THE NEXT 50 HOURS VIA WESTERN UNION SO THAT ALL NECESSARY ARRANGEMENT CAN BE MADE BEFORE TIME WILL BE AGAINST US. CONTACT MY SECRETARY IMMEDIATELY FOR THE REGISTERING FEE WHICH IS $150 ONLY.
CONTACT PERSON: Ochei Frank
SECRETARY TO US AMBASSADOR TO NIGERIA.
EMAIL: (redacted)
Phone (redacted).
AS SOON AS YOU SEND THE FEE MAKE SURE YOU SEND ME THE PAYMENT INFORMATION. MY FLIGHT IS THURSDAY AND I EXPECT YOU TO COMPLY BEFORE THEN SO THAT THE DELIVERY CAN BE COMPLETED. IF YOU DO NOT COMPLY, THEN IT WILL NOT BE MY FAULT IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE YOUR PACKAGE.

THANK YOU

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

weeblewobble

« Reply #2045 on: December 09, 2013, 10:08:54 PM »
On a whole other topic, I tried to find the stupid criminal thread (link anyone?) but failed, so I present to you: When hiring a contract killer, it's really best not to call your intended victim at the same time. Actually, I take that back. Please do call the intended victim. Makes it much easier to catch you quickly, and helps protect your target.
http://www.kait8.com/story/24068938/jpd-man-receives-accidental-phone-call-from-ex-boss-plotting-his-death?hpt=ju_bn5

Pretty dumb hitman, too.

Hey, I want you to kill someone for me!

Why?

I owe him a bunch of money. Say, I'll give you a downpayment, and most of it after you finish.

Hmmm. OK, sounds like a deal!

That's basically the plot to Killer Joe.

darling

« Reply #2046 on: December 10, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »
I had almost forgotten about this, but the bus fare story brought it back (even though this isn't about bus fare!).

I have a cousin who is always having some tough times. When she was just out of high school, she called my mom with a sob story about how her mother kicked her out, and was so terrible, and could Mom loan her some money for a hotel room for a couple of nights, so things could cool down?

We didn't have a lot of money growing up, so Mom told her that she could stay with us for a few days. Mom would have done anything for Cousin, who had just lost her father (my dad's oldest brother) a few months prior. Cousin said, "Well that's not going to help any!" and hung up! Turns out, cousin's "tough times" were directly related to her drug problems. Drug problems we didn't know about, until my Mom called her mom to find out what was going on, and to tell her about that weird phone call. Cousin got kicked out because her mom was sick of her daughter doing drugs, and had just had it.

Cousin has since:

1. Convinced an uncle to try to get money out of everyone in the family during a holiday meal (to which she had been invited, as she had every family function, but never attended), because she's been having a rough time financially, being a single parent and all.

Let me repeat that: he asked ME, a single mother without much money, to give money to my cousin, because "she's a single mom having a rough time financially" (I should know how tough it is, after all).

I declined, as did my parents, and most of the rest of the family. Uncle was ticked off when he found out that the "different car" my cousin claimed she needed money for actually meant "meth". He had given her nearly $1000, a ton of help with food, and got his heart broken, but learned a very valuable lesson in return. She had no use for him after it was clear no more money would be forthcoming.

2. Showed up to my grandpa's funeral expecting an inheritance. Hello, Grandma is still alive! There is no inheritance! Grandma had been begging for Cousin to visit while grandpa was sick, but she always had some excuse, even though rides were offered, and grandma begged her to bring her son so grandpa could meet him (no gas money, no babysitter, etc). To show up at the funeral dinner AFTER grandpa burial was just too much. She had her son with her, and all of us were so drained that we just made them plates of food, and tried to make the most of getting a chance to know her son (first time we had met him! My grandpa never got to meet him!) and her fiancÚ.

3. Periodically writes the same grandmother with her latest sob story about how her husband can't find a job because people just don't understand him (how about you show up to the job you have on time, and not under the influence of drugs, don't steal, and you might be able to keep a job?).  She claims that she is now drug free, but things are just so hard, because she can't work  because people unfairly judge her, and they have to live with his parents (his dad is a registered sex offender), and it's so hard raising a child, etc, etc. My grandma has her number, though. 

4. Claimed to have cancer, to solicit financial help from family members. When she got a "we're sorry, but we don't have anything to spare right now, but we can drive you to and from appointments, and watch your son", it was funny how fast that second opinion found there was no cancer after all... It's like she spends months planning and researching her pleas for money...

Let's just say that we've pretty much washed our hands of her. She's still family, but she's shown that we can't believe a word that comes out of her mouth. She needs serious help.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2047 on: December 10, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »
DH has a distant cousin who is a moocher. She dropped out of high school, and tried one job, but did not do well there and ended up meeting and dating a guy who is also a moocher. They moved in with her mother, and couldn't seem to find/keep a job, but managed to pay for expensive gaming electronics and tattoos instead of rent or helping with utilities. Finally, the mom in the situation told them to move and the boyfriend managed to find a job.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2048 on: December 10, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »
When I first moved into my current house, I had a neighbour lady who was a little older than me.  Her son and DIL lived in the basement apartment of her house, rent free, because they were supposed to be saving to buy a house.  He smoked a fair amount of weed and always seemed to be between jobs and consequently, didn't have any savings to put towards a house.  I think the DIL did have a steady job.

She fixed their wagon, though.  She sold the house and found herself a nice condo closer to her work.  Son and DIL had to move out and find a place.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cwm

« Reply #2049 on: December 10, 2013, 03:41:43 PM »
MoocherFriend the Second strikes again.

She's having a holiday party on New Year's Eve. The official event name is "We got the bar! Come party!" Below is a summary of the exhortations on the FB event.

We don't have money for liquor, so bring money to pay us back for what we're buying for you to drink. Or bring these specific bottles (list of about ten different bottles of liquor, most of which are in the $20 range). Oh, and we don't have money for snacks, so bring money so we can order pizza or have other food. I mean, you could BYOB, but that's no fun. Share with everyone instead!

Well, considering last time I went to a party that was strictly BYOB and everyone else drank my bottle of wine (I had to glasses of mixed apple wine and cider, so about one glass of my own wine), I think I'm going to pass and stick with water or tea, thanks.

Then on her own FB page, there's a picture of a $50 coat with a note saying that it's the perfect coat for her, it's just the same as the one that was stolen from her two years ago, along with her wallet and laptop, did she mention that her house was broken into two years ago and everything was taken? And it's got a HOOD, which she hasn't had on a winter coat since then, so someone should buy it for her because she can't afford it.

Again, sorry. Thrift stores have wonderful winter coats for cheap. There are legitimate charities if she has no winter coat and can't afford one. She has a large collection of scarves and hats, and a coat that she hasn't had any complaints about (aside from, apparently, the lack of a hood) in two years. I'm not going to subsidize your winter wardrobe when I haven't had a coat with a hood since high school. It hasn't killed you yet, I'm sure your head isn't about to fall off from being cold now.

I just don't even bother responding any more. She keeps going on FB and asking for more and more and more, and several of her friends just keep giving, but I stay out of it. She doesn't ask in person (thankfully), but it's nearly to the point where I'm going to hide her from my news feed so I don't have to look at all the requests for brand new things because she can't afford them and won't buy used.

Amara

« Reply #2050 on: December 10, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »
I declined, as did my parents, and most of the rest of the family. Uncle was ticked off when he found out that the "different car" my cousin claimed she needed money for actually meant "meth". He had given her nearly $1000, a ton of help with food, and got his heart broken, but learned a very valuable lesson in return. She had no use for him after it was clear no more money would be forthcoming.

2. Showed up to my grandpa's funeral expecting an inheritance. Hello, Grandma is still alive! There is no inheritance! Grandma had been begging for Cousin to visit while grandpa was sick, but she always had some excuse, even though rides were offered, and grandma begged her to bring her son so grandpa could meet him (no gas money, no babysitter, etc). To show up at the funeral dinner AFTER grandpa burial was just too much. She had her son with her, and all of us were so drained that we just made them plates of food, and tried to make the most of getting a chance to know her son (first time we had met him! My grandpa never got to meet him!) and her fiancÚ.

I don't think I have posted this before, but I have two sisters one of whom has been on welfare most of her life and has stated that "she will never work again." (Not that she's worked more than five out of her sixty years, all of them in spurts of weeks or months.) And it's not that she can't; it's that she expects to be supported in the style she wants but will do nothing to achieve.

Anyway, Dad died on July 9, 2012 about 8:00 am. That was a Monday. I immediately left work and drove there. A brother flew in from Colorado. The house was jammed, and of course Mom was grieving. Almost exactly 48 hours later, on Wednesday morning around the same time, my sister asked to talk to Mom; she wanted Mom to give her $1,000.

That day I had taken a long, overly long and nearly dangerous walk, so when I finally staggered back I had no idea that anything had gone on. (I was too dehydrated and ill to notice anything.) But it had. And it culminated in her being denied the money by my brother, who has charge of the estate for my mom--he had promised Dad he would protect her--which didn't turn out well. Like you said, she has little use for Mom much anymore now that she can no longer wheedle, beg, steal, lie, or anything else to get money. It's a sad, infuriating mess.

purplerainbow

« Reply #2051 on: December 10, 2013, 06:17:33 PM »
I had a great one last night.

Man stops me on the street, tells me he's just moved to my area that day and has locked himself out of his flat and needs money for the bus fare to get to his landlord's.

Respectably dressed, posh accent.

I have to say I took a certain amount of glee in declining him by saying "no, because you tried that line on me last week".

(He didn't get any money out of me that time either. "Bus fare" is a common scam where I live.

It's been a few years since someone tried the "bus fare" scam on me.
The last time someone did, was when I was volunteering at a charity shop as a teenager. We weren't allowed personal items such as purses, handbags etc on the shop floor, especially money. (Something to do with legalities, and not mixing our personal money with the till money, etc.)
There was one guy who came in one Saturday, claiming that his girlfriend was having a baby and he needed the bus fare to get to the hospital, could one of us spare it? Um, no. We didn't carry our own personal money on the shop floor, and we certainly weren't allowed to give any out from the till.

Redwing

« Reply #2052 on: December 12, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
Got a letter from a guy who has never met met me, but obviously thinks a lot of me since he wants to leave his estate to me:

My Name's Mr.Kronker Brown. Given my current state of health,I have decided to donate what I have to you, I am 69 years old and I was diagnosed for cancer about 2 years ago, immediately after the death of my Wife, Who had worked with me tirelessly until we were driven out of South Africa and our farms seized. Contact my Executor for more info

Contact my Executor:
Ben Noward Esq.
Principal Partner Noward and Associates
Email: bennoward101@outlook.com

Regards,
Kronker Brown

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2053 on: December 12, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »
This is a rather charming one:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I sincerely apologize for my intrude to your email account without permission, I am Mr. Amin Bashar from Syria, i Operate on Real Estate development, housing and properties, buying and selling of finished houses and a company owner of Alarko Limited which is specialized on ties, marble, aluminium and other building materials in my country Syria.

My company was destroyed and i lose many of my asset during the crisis period which am about to set up again in another country with assistant of foreign partner,
My wife and I(Me) was effect by the chemical explosion during the war but my wife died of the disease and i am currently receiving medical treatment in a hospital derby city of London.

The purpose of contacting you is because i am planning to set up an Investment project in your country and i need a matured Citizen like you to be my partner and give me necessary direction and guidelines to make my project sucessful. If you are capable and willing to accept my proposal kindly reply me immediately and i will like you to sms me on my mobile to enables me check my mail and respond to you quickly.

Thanks

I like the clarification "I(Me)", but I'm not sure if I should be insulted to be called a "matured citizen". Is that something like what happens to cheese?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cwm

« Reply #2054 on: December 12, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »
This is a rather charming one:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I sincerely apologize for my intrude to your email account without permission, I am Mr. Amin Bashar from Syria, i Operate on Real Estate development, housing and properties, buying and selling of finished houses and a company owner of Alarko Limited which is specialized on ties, marble, aluminium and other building materials in my country Syria.

My company was destroyed and i lose many of my asset during the crisis period which am about to set up again in another country with assistant of foreign partner,
My wife and I(Me) was effect by the chemical explosion during the war but my wife died of the disease and i am currently receiving medical treatment in a hospital derby city of London.

The purpose of contacting you is because i am planning to set up an Investment project in your country and i need a matured Citizen like you to be my partner and give me necessary direction and guidelines to make my project sucessful. If you are capable and willing to accept my proposal kindly reply me immediately and i will like you to sms me on my mobile to enables me check my mail and respond to you quickly.

Thanks

I like the clarification "I(Me)", but I'm not sure if I should be insulted to be called a "matured citizen". Is that something like what happens to cheese?

What I got out of that is that London is a derby city. Not sure exactly what that means, is there some sort of race there or something? Is it a reference to the hat? What in the world is a derby city?!