News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 08:06:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2198460 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2040 on: December 10, 2013, 02:29:29 PM »
DH has a distant cousin who is a moocher. She dropped out of high school, and tried one job, but did not do well there and ended up meeting and dating a guy who is also a moocher. They moved in with her mother, and couldn't seem to find/keep a job, but managed to pay for expensive gaming electronics and tattoos instead of rent or helping with utilities. Finally, the mom in the situation told them to move and the boyfriend managed to find a job.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2041 on: December 10, 2013, 02:34:14 PM »
When I first moved into my current house, I had a neighbour lady who was a little older than me.  Her son and DIL lived in the basement apartment of her house, rent free, because they were supposed to be saving to buy a house.  He smoked a fair amount of weed and always seemed to be between jobs and consequently, didn't have any savings to put towards a house.  I think the DIL did have a steady job.

She fixed their wagon, though.  She sold the house and found herself a nice condo closer to her work.  Son and DIL had to move out and find a place.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

cwm

« Reply #2042 on: December 10, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »
MoocherFriend the Second strikes again.

She's having a holiday party on New Year's Eve. The official event name is "We got the bar! Come party!" Below is a summary of the exhortations on the FB event.

We don't have money for liquor, so bring money to pay us back for what we're buying for you to drink. Or bring these specific bottles (list of about ten different bottles of liquor, most of which are in the $20 range). Oh, and we don't have money for snacks, so bring money so we can order pizza or have other food. I mean, you could BYOB, but that's no fun. Share with everyone instead!

Well, considering last time I went to a party that was strictly BYOB and everyone else drank my bottle of wine (I had to glasses of mixed apple wine and cider, so about one glass of my own wine), I think I'm going to pass and stick with water or tea, thanks.

Then on her own FB page, there's a picture of a $50 coat with a note saying that it's the perfect coat for her, it's just the same as the one that was stolen from her two years ago, along with her wallet and laptop, did she mention that her house was broken into two years ago and everything was taken? And it's got a HOOD, which she hasn't had on a winter coat since then, so someone should buy it for her because she can't afford it.

Again, sorry. Thrift stores have wonderful winter coats for cheap. There are legitimate charities if she has no winter coat and can't afford one. She has a large collection of scarves and hats, and a coat that she hasn't had any complaints about (aside from, apparently, the lack of a hood) in two years. I'm not going to subsidize your winter wardrobe when I haven't had a coat with a hood since high school. It hasn't killed you yet, I'm sure your head isn't about to fall off from being cold now.

I just don't even bother responding any more. She keeps going on FB and asking for more and more and more, and several of her friends just keep giving, but I stay out of it. She doesn't ask in person (thankfully), but it's nearly to the point where I'm going to hide her from my news feed so I don't have to look at all the requests for brand new things because she can't afford them and won't buy used.

Amara

« Reply #2043 on: December 10, 2013, 04:35:26 PM »
I declined, as did my parents, and most of the rest of the family. Uncle was ticked off when he found out that the "different car" my cousin claimed she needed money for actually meant "meth". He had given her nearly $1000, a ton of help with food, and got his heart broken, but learned a very valuable lesson in return. She had no use for him after it was clear no more money would be forthcoming.

2. Showed up to my grandpa's funeral expecting an inheritance. Hello, Grandma is still alive! There is no inheritance! Grandma had been begging for Cousin to visit while grandpa was sick, but she always had some excuse, even though rides were offered, and grandma begged her to bring her son so grandpa could meet him (no gas money, no babysitter, etc). To show up at the funeral dinner AFTER grandpa burial was just too much. She had her son with her, and all of us were so drained that we just made them plates of food, and tried to make the most of getting a chance to know her son (first time we had met him! My grandpa never got to meet him!) and her fiancé.

I don't think I have posted this before, but I have two sisters one of whom has been on welfare most of her life and has stated that "she will never work again." (Not that she's worked more than five out of her sixty years, all of them in spurts of weeks or months.) And it's not that she can't; it's that she expects to be supported in the style she wants but will do nothing to achieve.

Anyway, Dad died on July 9, 2012 about 8:00 am. That was a Monday. I immediately left work and drove there. A brother flew in from Colorado. The house was jammed, and of course Mom was grieving. Almost exactly 48 hours later, on Wednesday morning around the same time, my sister asked to talk to Mom; she wanted Mom to give her $1,000.

That day I had taken a long, overly long and nearly dangerous walk, so when I finally staggered back I had no idea that anything had gone on. (I was too dehydrated and ill to notice anything.) But it had. And it culminated in her being denied the money by my brother, who has charge of the estate for my mom--he had promised Dad he would protect her--which didn't turn out well. Like you said, she has little use for Mom much anymore now that she can no longer wheedle, beg, steal, lie, or anything else to get money. It's a sad, infuriating mess.

purplerainbow

« Reply #2044 on: December 10, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »
I had a great one last night.

Man stops me on the street, tells me he's just moved to my area that day and has locked himself out of his flat and needs money for the bus fare to get to his landlord's.

Respectably dressed, posh accent.

I have to say I took a certain amount of glee in declining him by saying "no, because you tried that line on me last week".

(He didn't get any money out of me that time either. "Bus fare" is a common scam where I live.

It's been a few years since someone tried the "bus fare" scam on me.
The last time someone did, was when I was volunteering at a charity shop as a teenager. We weren't allowed personal items such as purses, handbags etc on the shop floor, especially money. (Something to do with legalities, and not mixing our personal money with the till money, etc.)
There was one guy who came in one Saturday, claiming that his girlfriend was having a baby and he needed the bus fare to get to the hospital, could one of us spare it? Um, no. We didn't carry our own personal money on the shop floor, and we certainly weren't allowed to give any out from the till.

Redwing

« Reply #2045 on: December 12, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »
Got a letter from a guy who has never met met me, but obviously thinks a lot of me since he wants to leave his estate to me:

My Name's Mr.Kronker Brown. Given my current state of health,I have decided to donate what I have to you, I am 69 years old and I was diagnosed for cancer about 2 years ago, immediately after the death of my Wife, Who had worked with me tirelessly until we were driven out of South Africa and our farms seized. Contact my Executor for more info

Contact my Executor:
Ben Noward Esq.
Principal Partner Noward and Associates
Email: bennoward101@outlook.com

Regards,
Kronker Brown

Twik

« Reply #2046 on: December 12, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »
This is a rather charming one:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I sincerely apologize for my intrude to your email account without permission, I am Mr. Amin Bashar from Syria, i Operate on Real Estate development, housing and properties, buying and selling of finished houses and a company owner of Alarko Limited which is specialized on ties, marble, aluminium and other building materials in my country Syria.

My company was destroyed and i lose many of my asset during the crisis period which am about to set up again in another country with assistant of foreign partner,
My wife and I(Me) was effect by the chemical explosion during the war but my wife died of the disease and i am currently receiving medical treatment in a hospital derby city of London.

The purpose of contacting you is because i am planning to set up an Investment project in your country and i need a matured Citizen like you to be my partner and give me necessary direction and guidelines to make my project sucessful. If you are capable and willing to accept my proposal kindly reply me immediately and i will like you to sms me on my mobile to enables me check my mail and respond to you quickly.

Thanks

I like the clarification "I(Me)", but I'm not sure if I should be insulted to be called a "matured citizen". Is that something like what happens to cheese?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cwm

« Reply #2047 on: December 12, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »

Dear Sir/Madam,
I sincerely apologize for my intrude to your email account without permission, I am Mr. Amin Bashar from Syria, i Operate on Real Estate development, housing and properties, buying and selling of finished houses and a company owner of Alarko Limited which is specialized on ties, marble, aluminium and other building materials in my country Syria.

My company was destroyed and i lose many of my asset during the crisis period which am about to set up again in another country with assistant of foreign partner,
My wife and I(Me) was effect by the chemical explosion during the war but my wife died of the disease and i am currently receiving medical treatment in a hospital derby city of London.

The purpose of contacting you is because i am planning to set up an Investment project in your country and i need a matured Citizen like you to be my partner and give me necessary direction and guidelines to make my project sucessful. If you are capable and willing to accept my proposal kindly reply me immediately and i will like you to sms me on my mobile to enables me check my mail and respond to you quickly.

Thanks

I like the clarification "I(Me)", but I'm not sure if I should be insulted to be called a "matured citizen". Is that something like what happens to cheese?

What I got out of that is that London is a derby city. Not sure exactly what that means, is there some sort of race there or something? Is it a reference to the hat? What in the world is a derby city?!

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #2048 on: December 12, 2013, 12:03:47 PM »

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks

What I got out of that is that London is a derby city. Not sure exactly what that means, is there some sort of race there or something? Is it a reference to the hat? What in the world is a derby city?!

It is a "hospital derby city" (and probably a typo for "hospital nearby the city" ... but I am still left picturing gurney races along the Thames.

kymom3

« Reply #2049 on: December 12, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »
Everyone knows--Louisville is THE Derby City!   ;D

Fi

« Reply #2050 on: December 12, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »
Surely Derby is THE Derby city?

Twik

« Reply #2051 on: December 12, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
All businessmen in the City of London wear derbies, I suppose, so it is a Derby City.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #2052 on: December 12, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »
Everyone knows--Louisville is THE Derby City!   ;D

POD!!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

squeakers

« Reply #2053 on: December 14, 2013, 02:44:43 AM »
Moocher niece somehow came up with enough cash to make it to Other State with her kids... where her ex-husband lives. Same ex who beat her (FB pictures!!). And now has a job!! And a cool apartment!!

Her fiance went from being dog poo to the love of her life (once again).  He's back where they (her and her kids) were living.  But after I scoped his FB profile (the one who is my friend).. yeah, she was the one posting on it.

I give it 3  to 4 months and she'll be talking about wanting to move again. New State isn't all that cool of a place to live.

And I think 2 of my sisters have wised up to her shenanigans.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

z_squared82

« Reply #2054 on: December 16, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »
There are a couple different routes I take home from work depending on what errands I want to run. None of them are through particularly nice neighborhoods, but it’s not like I fear for my safety. One particular route has a house where, during warm weather, there were a few people outside with a makeshift craft sale. Think lemonade stand, but with earrings. Not particularly practical, as there is nowhere to park and look at the goods, but, hey, it’s their time.

A few weeks pass, and now there aren’t people outside, they just have the goods with a big For Sale sign.

None of this amounts to a beggar, moocher, or scammer label. But when I drove by house last week, there was a new sign. I couldn’t read it well because, well, I was driving, but the words “Donate Here” with an arrow pointing to their trash can and recycling bin was hard to miss.

There were soliciting drive-by donations to themselves.