Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 629327 times)

jmarvellous

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2055 on: December 12, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »
This is a rather charming one:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I sincerely apologize for my intrude to your email account without permission, I am Mr. Amin Bashar from Syria, i Operate on Real Estate development, housing and properties, buying and selling of finished houses and a company owner of Alarko Limited which is specialized on ties, marble, aluminium and other building materials in my country Syria.

My company was destroyed and i lose many of my asset during the crisis period which am about to set up again in another country with assistant of foreign partner,
My wife and I(Me) was effect by the chemical explosion during the war but my wife died of the disease and i am currently receiving medical treatment in a hospital derby city of London.

The purpose of contacting you is because i am planning to set up an Investment project in your country and i need a matured Citizen like you to be my partner and give me necessary direction and guidelines to make my project sucessful. If you are capable and willing to accept my proposal kindly reply me immediately and i will like you to sms me on my mobile to enables me check my mail and respond to you quickly.

Thanks

I like the clarification "I(Me)", but I'm not sure if I should be insulted to be called a "matured citizen". Is that something like what happens to cheese?

What I got out of that is that London is a derby city. Not sure exactly what that means, is there some sort of race there or something? Is it a reference to the hat? What in the world is a derby city?!

It is a "hospital derby city" (and probably a typo for "hospital nearby the city" ... but I am still left picturing gurney races along the Thames.

kymom3

« Reply #2056 on: December 12, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
Everyone knows--Louisville is THE Derby City!   ;D

Fi

« Reply #2057 on: December 12, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
Surely Derby is THE Derby city?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2058 on: December 12, 2013, 03:54:55 PM »
All businessmen in the City of London wear derbies, I suppose, so it is a Derby City.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #2059 on: December 12, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
Everyone knows--Louisville is THE Derby City!   ;D

POD!!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

squeakers

« Reply #2060 on: December 14, 2013, 03:44:43 AM »
Moocher niece somehow came up with enough cash to make it to Other State with her kids... where her ex-husband lives. Same ex who beat her (FB pictures!!). And now has a job!! And a cool apartment!!

Her fiance went from being dog poo to the love of her life (once again).  He's back where they (her and her kids) were living.  But after I scoped his FB profile (the one who is my friend).. yeah, she was the one posting on it.

I give it 3  to 4 months and she'll be talking about wanting to move again. New State isn't all that cool of a place to live.

And I think 2 of my sisters have wised up to her shenanigans.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

z_squared82

« Reply #2061 on: December 16, 2013, 02:10:14 PM »
There are a couple different routes I take home from work depending on what errands I want to run. None of them are through particularly nice neighborhoods, but it’s not like I fear for my safety. One particular route has a house where, during warm weather, there were a few people outside with a makeshift craft sale. Think lemonade stand, but with earrings. Not particularly practical, as there is nowhere to park and look at the goods, but, hey, it’s their time.

A few weeks pass, and now there aren’t people outside, they just have the goods with a big For Sale sign.

None of this amounts to a beggar, moocher, or scammer label. But when I drove by house last week, there was a new sign. I couldn’t read it well because, well, I was driving, but the words “Donate Here” with an arrow pointing to their trash can and recycling bin was hard to miss.

There were soliciting drive-by donations to themselves.

magicdomino

« Reply #2062 on: December 16, 2013, 02:59:57 PM »
None of this amounts to a beggar, moocher, or scammer label. But when I drove by house last week, there was a new sign. I couldn’t read it well because, well, I was driving, but the words “Donate Here” with an arrow pointing to their trash can and recycling bin was hard to miss.

Maybe the fine print is that they were soliciting aluminium cans.  A trash can and a recycling bin are more likely to collect trash than cash.

z_squared82

« Reply #2063 on: December 16, 2013, 03:59:20 PM »

Maybe the fine print is that they were soliciting aluminium cans.  A trash can and a recycling bin are more likely to collect trash than cash.

Unless that was all they had to use an receptacles.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2064 on: December 16, 2013, 08:20:57 PM »
I was shopping the other night and overheard a Walmart-sanctioned scam.  There was an announcement that if you wanted a free knife, there was going to be a knife demonstration at a booth in the store, and everybody who came to the demonstration would get a free knife.  I was shopping in the vicinity as the guy was going through his spiel, and I was in the aisle across from his booth when he got to the crux of the thing.  Everybody there *could* get a free knife, iff they bought the $50 knife he was selling.  It was a buy one get one, not a free knife.  Liar, and scammer, as that's false advertising.  And apparently Walmart-sanctioned, as he was using one of their official booths and making announcements on their loudspeaker system, plus I overheard him saying that if you wanted to buy a knife, you were buying it from Walmart, not him, and you could just buy it when you checked out your groceries.  I'm assuming there's some sort of fine print that allows them to advertise something as free that is really buy one get one, but I'm not sure how that works.  Still, I consider it a scam.  I'm *so* glad I didn't waste 5 minutes listening to his spiel, but lots of people did.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2065 on: December 16, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »
I was shopping the other night and overheard a Walmart-sanctioned scam.  There was an announcement that if you wanted a free knife, there was going to be a knife demonstration at a booth in the store, and everybody who came to the demonstration would get a free knife.  I was shopping in the vicinity as the guy was going through his spiel, and I was in the aisle across from his booth when he got to the crux of the thing.  Everybody there *could* get a free knife, iff they bought the $50 knife he was selling.  It was a buy one get one, not a free knife.  Liar, and scammer, as that's false advertising.  And apparently Walmart-sanctioned, as he was using one of their official booths and making announcements on their loudspeaker system, plus I overheard him saying that if you wanted to buy a knife, you were buying it from Walmart, not him, and you could just buy it when you checked out your groceries.  I'm assuming there's some sort of fine print that allows them to advertise something as free that is really buy one get one, but I'm not sure how that works.  Still, I consider it a scam.  I'm *so* glad I didn't waste 5 minutes listening to his spiel, but lots of people did.

Back when I was a retail merchandiser at WM stores, those knife guys were there. I got so sick of their spiel. And it was amazing how many people bought their wares!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2066 on: December 17, 2013, 09:08:34 AM »
We have had those. But if you came in at the end of the day when the demo guy was leaving, he/she would give all the leftover knives away for free. They are pretty cheap knives, though.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2067 on: December 17, 2013, 09:51:04 AM »
He was demonstrating the knife cutting through wood, a hammer, etc.  My question is, though, why they always demonstrate the wonders of a knife by cutting through things you'd never cut with a knife.  He was talking about how you wanted a really sharp knife for fresh bread, otherwise it would just be a pile of crumbs.  And then it sounded like he demonstrated how sharp it was by cutting a hammer (wasn't watching, so not sure if he cut the handle or head or what) and wood.  But when I went by at one point and saw him, it looked like the knife was pretty thick and had strangely angled sides (sort of like serrations, but on the side).  I'd imagine that it would make a mess of crumbs, too.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it would give a better idea if he, you know, cut bread with it.  I'm pretty sure I would have heard him say if he was doing so, because I could hear every other word of his demonstration from the opposite side of the rows, he was that loud.  I think every person there did their grocery shopping with him in their ears.

Amara

« Reply #2068 on: December 17, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
'Tis the season to play "Match It!" You can win by correctly matching the items in List A with the CL ad posters in List B in our local CL as of this morning. (Note that only those asking for freebies are included here just to make it thread appropriate.) A gold star and a 4-piece box of Godiva chocolates to anyone who is 100 percent correct!

List A                                                                             List B
Wants a decent car                                                           Mother with no money but a daughter
Wants a Christmas tree and toys for kids                            Single working parent (address provided)
Wants money                                                                   Poor graduate student
Wants iPhone (used okay)                                                 One senior/2children/2 mid-age adults
Wants a "Project Motorcycle"                                             Low income senior
Wants a Kindle                                                                 Single student mother
Wants "extra organic foods"                                              Struggling family

heartmug

« Reply #2069 on: December 17, 2013, 01:34:27 PM »
LOL Amara! And I want to know the answers  :P
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain