Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 713438 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2070 on: December 17, 2013, 01:42:38 PM »
A lot of those could fit everyone on the list. 

cwm

« Reply #2071 on: December 17, 2013, 02:03:09 PM »
What is an "extra organic food" anyway? Is it the organic food that's farmed on an organic planet?

No pesticides were used within 3,000 miles of this food!
Completely cruelty free! If the rabbits wanted some, we just let them have at it! (Sorry for any chewed bits...)
Absolutely nothing has been genetically modified! We went back in time just to make sure, and collected a bunch of seeds from 500 years ago. Sorry if it's nothing like what you're familiar with, but it's ALL NATURAL and EXTRA ORGANIC!

z_squared82

« Reply #2072 on: December 17, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »
What is an "extra organic food" anyway? Is it the organic food that's farmed on an organic planet?

No pesticides were used within 3,000 miles of this food!
Completely cruelty free! If the rabbits wanted some, we just let them have at it! (Sorry for any chewed bits...)
Absolutely nothing has been genetically modified! We went back in time just to make sure, and collected a bunch of seeds from 500 years ago. Sorry if it's nothing like what you're familiar with, but it's ALL NATURAL and EXTRA ORGANIC!

Maybe they have some organic food, but they want more? Not extra organic, but extra food? Blast misplaced modifiers.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #2073 on: December 17, 2013, 03:11:14 PM »
I once had some neighbors who constantly tried to get high-end free stuff from people with a big sob story.  There were three able-bodied young adults in the household who were unemployed by choice.  The big obstacle to them holding a job was that they liked to stay up all night playing with the electronics they already had.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Amara

« Reply #2074 on: December 17, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »
CWM, thanks for the huge laugh! And yes, they do mean any extra "organic foods" you have lying around that you have paid big bucks for but don't plan to use. As for the car, they provided their address (and directions) so it can be delivered right to them.

::)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:16:09 PM by Amara »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2075 on: December 17, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
My cousin's teenager has listed two items on his Christmas wish list. An Xbox One ($625) and a 60" flat panel television ($900). Now my cousin is asking for suggestions for what she should buy.

My response? Nothing.

Let him save up $1500 to buy them.  >:D

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2076 on: December 17, 2013, 06:09:04 PM »
My cousin's teenager has listed two items on his Christmas wish list. An Xbox One ($625) and a 60" flat panel television ($900). Now my cousin is asking for suggestions for what she should buy.

My response? Nothing.

A shirt and tie to wear on job interviews?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2077 on: December 17, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »

My response? Nothing.

I was recently having a discussion with some friends on Facebook (private group) about what people spent on their kids for Christmas.  The upper end seemed to be about $200 per kid, and those were people with teens (so more expensive wants).  So it's hard to imagine that he'll actually get both of those.  I think it sounds like a great time for his mother to explain the concept of having a variety of items at different price points on one's wish list.  :)

mime

« Reply #2078 on: December 17, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »
'Tis the season to play "Match It!" You can win by correctly matching the items in List A with the CL ad posters in List B in our local CL as of this morning. (Note that only those asking for freebies are included here just to make it thread appropriate.) A gold star and a 4-piece box of Godiva chocolates to anyone who is 100 percent correct!

List A                                                                             List B
Wants a decent car                                                           Mother with no money but a daughter
Wants a Christmas tree and toys for kids                            Single working parent (address provided)
Wants money                                                                   Poor graduate student
Wants iPhone (used okay)                                                 One senior/2children/2 mid-age adults
Wants a "Project Motorcycle"                                             Low income senior
Wants a Kindle                                                                 Single student mother
Wants "extra organic foods"                                              Struggling family

I'll take a stab at it:

Decent car: Poor grad student. (because DH and I were these people at one time. That is, we were in school and in need of a decent car. Not that we asked anyone to buy it for us)

Christmas tree and toys for kids: single working parent. (because the cost for this could be just too much, but he/she wants to provide a nice holiday for the kids)

money: one senior/2children/2middle aged adults. (With a family mix like that, it would be easier to do a one-size-fits-all family gift in cash form)

iPhone (used OK): single student mother. (because it really is both fun and practical, and as a single mother and a (presumably) younger woman, I think she'd value both)

Project Motorcycle: low income senior. (because he/she may be retired with time on his/her hands more so than others)

Kindle: Struggling family. (because "struggling" suggests to me that they are working and getting by, with difficulty. this would be a luxury they can't normally afford, and in a way, a whole family could enjoy it)

"Extra organic foods": mother with no money but a daughter. (mostly because these are the choices I have left)

Anyone want to refine my guesses?

Miss March

« Reply #2079 on: December 17, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »
Decent car- Single working parent
Christmas tree and toys- Struggling family
Money- Low income senior
iPhone- Mother with no money but daughter
Motorcycle- Poor graduate student
Kindle- Single student mother
Organic food- 1 senior, 2 children, 2 adults
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

CakeBeret

« Reply #2080 on: December 17, 2013, 09:24:48 PM »
I'll take a stab ;)

Decent car - single working parent
Christmas tree and toys - single student mother
Money - One senior/2children/2 mid-age adults
iPhone - Poor graduate student
Project Motorcycle - Low income senior
Kindle - Mother with no money
Organic foods - struggling family
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2081 on: December 18, 2013, 08:03:59 AM »
I think the organic food is for the college student, but that is my only guess.

Amara

« Reply #2082 on: December 18, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »
'Tis the season to play "Match It!" You can win by correctly matching the items in List A with the CL ad posters in List B in our local CL as of this morning. (Note that only those asking for freebies are included here just to make it thread appropriate.) A gold star and a 4-piece box of Godiva chocolates to anyone who is 100 percent correct!

List A                                                                             List B
Wants a decent car                                                            Mother with no money but a daughter
Wants a Christmas tree and toys for kids                            Single working parent (address provided)
Wants money                                                                    Poor graduate student
Wants iPhone (used okay)                                                  One senior/2children/2 mid-age adults
Wants a "Project Motorcycle"                                             Low income senior
Wants a Kindle                                                                  Single student mother
Wants "extra organic foods"                                              Struggling family

Wonderful! You all did great. Unfortunately, no one won the star and chocolate, but I enjoyed reading the guesses. Here is the reality: The poor graduate student wants the motorcycle. The 1 senior/2 children/2 mid-age adults want the organic food (that you spent a lot of money on but aren't planning to eat). The senior student mother wants the Kindle.   The single working parent, who so thoughtfully provided his full address and even directions so you can deliver it, wants the decent car. The struggling family wants the tree and toys. The mother with no money but a daughter the iPhone (for the daughter). And the low-income senior wants the money. (I think that's right; many of them have been flagged off--with my help.)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2083 on: December 18, 2013, 09:07:34 AM »
He was demonstrating the knife cutting through wood, a hammer, etc.  My question is, though, why they always demonstrate the wonders of a knife by cutting through things you'd never cut with a knife.  He was talking about how you wanted a really sharp knife for fresh bread, otherwise it would just be a pile of crumbs.  And then it sounded like he demonstrated how sharp it was by cutting a hammer (wasn't watching, so not sure if he cut the handle or head or what) and wood.  But when I went by at one point and saw him, it looked like the knife was pretty thick and had strangely angled sides (sort of like serrations, but on the side).  I'd imagine that it would make a mess of crumbs, too.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it would give a better idea if he, you know, cut bread with it.  I'm pretty sure I would have heard him say if he was doing so, because I could hear every other word of his demonstration from the opposite side of the rows, he was that loud.  I think every person there did their grocery shopping with him in their ears.

Sounds a little like a santoku knife.  They're supposed to be pretty good (assuming the product itself is actually good)

z_squared82

« Reply #2084 on: December 18, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
He was demonstrating the knife cutting through wood, a hammer, etc.  My question is, though, why they always demonstrate the wonders of a knife by cutting through things you'd never cut with a knife.  He was talking about how you wanted a really sharp knife for fresh bread, otherwise it would just be a pile of crumbs.  And then it sounded like he demonstrated how sharp it was by cutting a hammer (wasn't watching, so not sure if he cut the handle or head or what) and wood.  But when I went by at one point and saw him, it looked like the knife was pretty thick and had strangely angled sides (sort of like serrations, but on the side).  I'd imagine that it would make a mess of crumbs, too.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it would give a better idea if he, you know, cut bread with it.  I'm pretty sure I would have heard him say if he was doing so, because I could hear every other word of his demonstration from the opposite side of the rows, he was that loud.  I think every person there did their grocery shopping with him in their ears.

Sounds a little like a santoku knife.  They're supposed to be pretty good (assuming the product itself is actually good)

As My Brother The Chef puts it, if you need a knife sharp enough to cut through a hammer to cut your meat, what you actually need is different meat.