Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 655306 times)

Miss March

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2085 on: December 18, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »
Wonderful! You all did great. Unfortunately, no one won the star and chocolate, but I enjoyed reading the guesses. Here is the reality: The poor graduate student wants the motorcycle. The 1 senior/2 children/2 mid-age adults want the organic food (that you spent a lot of money on but aren't planning to eat). The senior student mother wants the Kindle.   The single working parent, who so thoughtfully provided his full address and even directions so you can deliver it, wants the decent car. The struggling family wants the tree and toys. The mother with no money but a daughter the iPhone (for the daughter). And the low-income senior wants the money. (I think that's right; many of them have been flagged off--with my help.)

Actually....I think I did get them all correct?

Decent car- Single working parent
Christmas tree and toys- Struggling family
Money- Low income senior
iPhone- Mother with no money but daughter
Motorcycle- Poor graduate student
Kindle- Single student mother
Organic food- 1 senior, 2 children, 2 adults

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2086 on: December 18, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
He was demonstrating the knife cutting through wood, a hammer, etc.  My question is, though, why they always demonstrate the wonders of a knife by cutting through things you'd never cut with a knife.  He was talking about how you wanted a really sharp knife for fresh bread, otherwise it would just be a pile of crumbs.  And then it sounded like he demonstrated how sharp it was by cutting a hammer (wasn't watching, so not sure if he cut the handle or head or what) and wood.  But when I went by at one point and saw him, it looked like the knife was pretty thick and had strangely angled sides (sort of like serrations, but on the side).  I'd imagine that it would make a mess of crumbs, too.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it would give a better idea if he, you know, cut bread with it.  I'm pretty sure I would have heard him say if he was doing so, because I could hear every other word of his demonstration from the opposite side of the rows, he was that loud.  I think every person there did their grocery shopping with him in their ears.

Sounds a little like a santoku knife.  They're supposed to be pretty good (assuming the product itself is actually good)

Sounded to me like a ginsu knife, which has serrations bled up one side, and used to be advertised by cutting through all sorts of unlikely things.

I have a couple, and they've stayed sharp for over twenty years, so they were a good purchase.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mime

« Reply #2087 on: December 18, 2013, 10:56:31 AM »
Wonderful! You all did great. Unfortunately, no one won the star and chocolate, but I enjoyed reading the guesses. Here is the reality: The poor graduate student wants the motorcycle. The 1 senior/2 children/2 mid-age adults want the organic food (that you spent a lot of money on but aren't planning to eat). The senior student mother wants the Kindle.   The single working parent, who so thoughtfully provided his full address and even directions so you can deliver it, wants the decent car. The struggling family wants the tree and toys. The mother with no money but a daughter the iPhone (for the daughter). And the low-income senior wants the money. (I think that's right; many of them have been flagged off--with my help.)

Actually....I think I did get them all correct?

Decent car- Single working parent
Christmas tree and toys- Struggling family
Money- Low income senior
iPhone- Mother with no money but daughter
Motorcycle- Poor graduate student
Kindle- Single student mother
Organic food- 1 senior, 2 children, 2 adults

Looks right to me.  Wow-- nice job MissMarch!

Amara

« Reply #2088 on: December 18, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »
Oops, you are right, Miss March. (That's what I get for posting so early in the morning.) Email me privately.

Kind of a shame this one (copied here as written) came too late to be entered, but I thought you might be amused by it: in need of help for my grandchildren-no parents around) with gifts cards go to noemptytree.com--------user xxxxxxxxxxxxxx thank you

sevenday

« Reply #2089 on: December 18, 2013, 01:53:09 PM »
Wow, that website hits pretty much all of my SCAM buttons right off the get go. Charming.

cwm

« Reply #2090 on: December 18, 2013, 01:57:34 PM »
Wow, that website hits pretty much all of my SCAM buttons right off the get go. Charming.

The weird part is, I went and looked around at the various areas of the country. Maybe it's my work firewalls, but I can't see a single listing.

But it is one of the most poorly-designed websites I've seen since the 90s.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #2091 on: December 18, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
He was demonstrating the knife cutting through wood, a hammer, etc.  My question is, though, why they always demonstrate the wonders of a knife by cutting through things you'd never cut with a knife.  He was talking about how you wanted a really sharp knife for fresh bread, otherwise it would just be a pile of crumbs.  And then it sounded like he demonstrated how sharp it was by cutting a hammer (wasn't watching, so not sure if he cut the handle or head or what) and wood.  But when I went by at one point and saw him, it looked like the knife was pretty thick and had strangely angled sides (sort of like serrations, but on the side).  I'd imagine that it would make a mess of crumbs, too.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it would give a better idea if he, you know, cut bread with it.  I'm pretty sure I would have heard him say if he was doing so, because I could hear every other word of his demonstration from the opposite side of the rows, he was that loud.  I think every person there did their grocery shopping with him in their ears.

Sounds a little like a santoku knife.  They're supposed to be pretty good (assuming the product itself is actually good)

Sounded to me like a ginsu knife, which has serrations bled up one side, and used to be advertised by cutting through all sorts of unlikely things.

I have a couple, and they've stayed sharp for over twenty years, so they were a good purchase.

Yes, it's definitely not a santoku. That's the blade that's shaped kind of like a half-circle at the point end (cutting edge is the flat underside of the half-ciircle) and has a large flat blade, no serrations. However, I've never seen a ginsu knife (that I can recall), so it may well be that. :)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2092 on: December 18, 2013, 08:11:29 PM »

Yes, it's definitely not a santoku. That's the blade that's shaped kind of like a half-circle at the point end (cutting edge is the flat underside of the half-ciircle) and has a large flat blade, no serrations. However, I've never seen a ginsu knife (that I can recall), so it may well be that. :)

Serrations isn't the right word, but I didn't know how to describe it.  http://myshinykitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Santoku-Knife.jpg  This knife is the closest that I see, but it's not quite right.  This came up under santoku.  What I'm trying to describe is the indentations on the side.  I actually don't remember if the blade edge itself was serrated or not.  I just couldn't think of the word for the indentation things on the side.  For some reason I had the impression that the knife had numbers written by the indentations, like measurements, but I also was some distance away, so I may have been mistaken on that point.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #2093 on: December 18, 2013, 08:15:03 PM »
I think you mean a nakiri knife.  I love mine.  The hollow grounding on the side prevents things from sticking to the blade.  It's VERY sharp, though.  I have to be very careful when washing it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2094 on: December 18, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »
I have several Santoku knives and they are wonderful.

Miss March

« Reply #2095 on: December 18, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »
Oops, you are right, Miss March. (That's what I get for posting so early in the morning.) Email me privately.

Kind of a shame this one (copied here as written) came too late to be entered, but I thought you might be amused by it: in need of help for my grandchildren-no parents around) with gifts cards go to noemptytree.com--------user xxxxxxxxxxxxxx thank you

You are very sweet to offer those chocolates, but no prizes are necessary (besides, I'm stuffed to the gills with more holiday treats than I can handle these days).  I'm just giving myself a little pat on the back for guessing right, is all. That was a fun match up trivia!  :)

It's sad. I'll give to families in need through my work, my local church, or some service that I trust in my city, but I just don't trust these online sites where anyone can ask for money, and no one verifies anything.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Amara

« Reply #2096 on: December 19, 2013, 12:10:02 PM »
You're welcome. It was fun doing it; at least it took me out of the annoyance much like our Ehell Bingo does for holiday gatherings.  ;)

Ginger G

« Reply #2097 on: December 19, 2013, 01:55:38 PM »
They had one of those knife sales pitch demonstrations at the Wal-mart near my home a couple of weeks ago also.  First they started making extremely loud ear-splitting announcements over the PA system about a "free gift" if you went to the produce section at the scheduled time.  It was very annoying, if I wasn't near the end of a long list of much-needed items I probably would have just left. 

I happened to go to the produce section a few minutes later and there was a pretty large crowd gathered.  I paused long enough to see what they were doing and it was indeed the knife sales pitch.  I grabbed the few items I needed from produce and got the heck out of there.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2098 on: December 19, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »
I have a set of ginsu-wannabe knifes that I got at a discount store for $3 over 20 years ago.  They're still sharp and still work great, so it was $3 well spent.  A professional chef would probably cringe over my kitchen collection, but they work fine for me.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #2099 on: December 19, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
My cousin's teenager has listed two items on his Christmas wish list. An Xbox One ($625) and a 60" flat panel television ($900). Now my cousin is asking for suggestions for what she should buy.

My response? Nothing.

Let him save up $1500 to buy them.  >:D

I was recently having a discussion with some friends on Facebook (private group) about what people spent on their kids for Christmas.  The upper end seemed to be about $200 per kid, and those were people with teens (so more expensive wants).  So it's hard to imagine that he'll actually get both of those.  I think it sounds like a great time for his mother to explain the concept of having a variety of items at different price points on one's wish list.  :)

A friend told his four kids (age range: 14-4) to make him their christmas lists. All four listed the new X-Box... And nothing else. He told them he was NOT buying four game systems just to be told by the 4 year old that he's silly, he's supposed to buy them ONE system and then they all play it.

He gathered them and told them (probably teasing a little) that that was all well and good but the Xbox only uses two kid's allotted money so who shares an Xbox and who gets a bunch of smaller gifts? After consulting they told him he should take the rest of the money and buy coats and toys for poor kids because they'll be happy with the Xbox, thanks.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]