Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 609799 times)

bloo

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2100 on: December 19, 2013, 02:53:25 PM »
A friend told his four kids (age range: 14-4) to make him their christmas lists. All four listed the new X-Box... And nothing else. He told them he was NOT buying four game systems just to be told by the 4 year old that he's silly, he's supposed to buy them ONE system and then they all play it.

He gathered them and told them (probably teasing a little) that that was all well and good but the Xbox only uses two kid's allotted money so who shares an Xbox and who gets a bunch of smaller gifts? After consulting they told him he should take the rest of the money and buy coats and toys for poor kids because they'll be happy with the Xbox, thanks.

In a thread full of beggars, moochers and scammers, this is the sweetest thing I've read in a long time! :'( :)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #2101 on: December 19, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »
A friend told his four kids (age range: 14-4) to make him their christmas lists. All four listed the new X-Box... And nothing else. He told them he was NOT buying four game systems just to be told by the 4 year old that he's silly, he's supposed to buy them ONE system and then they all play it.

He gathered them and told them (probably teasing a little) that that was all well and good but the Xbox only uses two kid's allotted money so who shares an Xbox and who gets a bunch of smaller gifts? After consulting they told him he should take the rest of the money and buy coats and toys for poor kids because they'll be happy with the Xbox, thanks.

In a thread full of beggars, moochers and scammers, this is the sweetest thing I've read in a long time! :'( :)

They're really very sweet kids. I have no doubt if they really did get up Christmas morning and find nothing but one lone Xbox, no games even(they haven't asked for games. My friend finds this hilarious) they'd be pleased as punch.

They're probably getting it too. Not from their Dad though, their grandpa has said he wants to buy one. Now comes the challenge of figuring out what their Dad CAN get since they are holding fast to Xbox and gifts for "poor kids".

Carotte

« Reply #2102 on: December 19, 2013, 03:05:43 PM »
That's absolutelly heart warming, such nice kids! And good parents too for making their kids aware enough of their own fortune vs those less fortunates that they made that decision on their own!

PennyandPleased

« Reply #2103 on: December 19, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
Gaaaahhhh I heard this story today from my parents and I needed somewhere to vent and was SO happy when I remembered this thread.

I have 2 cousins who work full time but don't make a ton of money. Their Dad is the family mooch and lives off all his siblings. He's barely worked a day in his life. But don't worry - he has a brand new iPhone 5 and shops at Nordstrom because no where else sells clothes that "fit his slender build".  :'(

Apparently my cousins really have it hard - living in brand new apartments in the most expensive part of town really drains their pay check. But they just CAN'T move because EVERY WHERE else is soooooooooooo dangerous. The ONLY safe place to live is the "Super Expensive End".

My uncle's recent sob story to my parents was how one of the cousins has been wearing the same winter coat for THREE years and just can not for the life of her find a new, warm coat for under $400!!!!! She's looked in all the right places - REI, EMS, Banana Republic, GAP. The only places in the world who sell coats.

Could you please send them some money so they can buy a new coat. Wearing a 3 year old coat has been such a struggle.  She'll cash the check when she gets back from her "girls weekend" in near by "Big City".

>:(

sevenday

« Reply #2104 on: December 19, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »
He could buy them some games, or accessories (extra controllers, kinect, etc)- or gift cards so they can buy games later as they're released.  THEN, of course, also coats.  One thing my mother used to do for me when I was little was to take me to the dollar store around Christmas time.   There, we'd buy a basket/gift box of some type and some small toys to go inside - plus some school/art supplies like crayons.  Then she'd take me round to the donation center and have me register the basket as my gift to other people.  As I got older I started contributing some of my own money; now I participate in secret santa and still go to the dollar store.  I make up two baskets, one for kids and one for adults (with things like batteries, winter gloves, etc).  it sounds like these kids would be a good candidate to start that new tradition with. 

As for the people with high end taste and low end budget, oh PLEASE. 

Although there is something to the Vimes Theory of Economics... Rich people stay rich because they can afford to buy higher quality items. (He used boots as an example).  That theory only holds if you disregard those who must have the latest fashion.  Those who buy higher priced/higher quality items intending to use it until it dies will get more 'bang for their buck.'

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2105 on: December 19, 2013, 03:25:29 PM »
Gaaaahhhh I heard this story today from my parents and I needed somewhere to vent and was SO happy when I remembered this thread.

I have 2 cousins who work full time but don't make a ton of money. Their Dad is the family mooch and lives off all his siblings. He's barely worked a day in his life. But don't worry - he has a brand new iPhone 5 and shops at Nordstrom because no where else sells clothes that "fit his slender build".  :'(

Apparently my cousins really have it hard - living in brand new apartments in the most expensive part of town really drains their pay check. But they just CAN'T move because EVERY WHERE else is soooooooooooo dangerous. The ONLY safe place to live is the "Super Expensive End".

My uncle's recent sob story to my parents was how one of the cousins has been wearing the same winter coat for THREE years and just can not for the life of her find a new, warm coat for under $400!!!!! She's looked in all the right places - REI, EMS, Banana Republic, GAP. The only places in the world who sell coats.

Could you please send them some money so they can buy a new coat. Wearing a 3 year old coat has been such a struggle.  She'll cash the check when she gets back from her "girls weekend" in near by "Big City".

>:(

I think we need to have a permanent wall installed on this thread

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #2106 on: December 19, 2013, 03:36:56 PM »
Penny - I don't get the coat thing.  I do get the attitude: it's entitlement.  They feel entitled to bigger and better and more expensive and the world should obviously cater to them. 

I have owned my coat (black wool peacoat) for 6 or 7 years now and it's stylish and functional.  I got it for under a hundred bucks at a local Burlington Coat factory  (not sure if that's a national chain or not). 

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #2107 on: December 19, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »
He could buy them some games, or accessories (extra controllers, kinect, etc)- or gift cards so they can buy games later as they're released.  THEN, of course, also coats.  One thing my mother used to do for me when I was little was to take me to the dollar store around Christmas time.   There, we'd buy a basket/gift box of some type and some small toys to go inside - plus some school/art supplies like crayons.  Then she'd take me round to the donation center and have me register the basket as my gift to other people.  As I got older I started contributing some of my own money; now I participate in secret santa and still go to the dollar store.  I make up two baskets, one for kids and one for adults (with things like batteries, winter gloves, etc).  it sounds like these kids would be a good candidate to start that new tradition with. 

Although there is something to the Vimes Theory of Economics... Rich people stay rich because they can afford to buy higher quality items. (He used boots as an example).  That theory only holds if you disregard those who must have the latest fashion.  Those who buy higher priced/higher quality items intending to use it until it dies will get more 'bang for their buck.'

Oh trust me, these little "darlings"(I say that not because they're bad kids, they aren't. But oh boy are they exhausting kids. We call them the weeping angels, don't blink or one just pooped in a ficus plant at an office, another is getting sky-clad and the teenager is teaching the 7 year old to count cards. I admit none of these happened at the same time but all are actual actions from them because 'no one said they couldn't do it'. Except the stripper. She just wants to be naked. In her defense, she's four.) will want to pick out the toys and coats. And the teenager will probably insist on doing the coat shopping at her favorite thrift shop because she can find designer coats there. They are very loving kids, but they may be insane and while my friend tries to be a disciplinarian, he is foiled by what he describes as "the curse of having kids who are smarter than me."

I'll pass on the idea of gift cards. He may appreciate it. He finally dragged out of the one boy another gift... He wants a shotgun. He is not getting a shot gun. I hope. (He's 8 or 9)

nuit93

« Reply #2108 on: December 19, 2013, 04:45:59 PM »

Oh trust me, these little "darlings"(I say that not because they're bad kids, they aren't. But oh boy are they exhausting kids. We call them the weeping angels, don't blink or one just pooped in a ficus plant at an office, another is getting sky-clad and the teenager is teaching the 7 year old to count cards. I admit none of these happened at the same time but all are actual actions from them because 'no one said they couldn't do it'. Except the stripper. She just wants to be naked. In her defense, she's four.) will want to pick out the toys and coats. And the teenager will probably insist on doing the coat shopping at her favorite thrift shop because she can find designer coats there. They are very loving kids, but they may be insane and while my friend tries to be a disciplinarian, he is foiled by what he describes as "the curse of having kids who are smarter than me."

I'll pass on the idea of gift cards. He may appreciate it. He finally dragged out of the one boy another gift... He wants a shotgun. He is not getting a shot gun. I hope. (He's 8 or 9)

I admit, the idea of a 7 year old who can count cards is rather impressive...

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2109 on: December 19, 2013, 05:40:30 PM »
My cousin's teenager has listed two items on his Christmas wish list. An Xbox One ($625) and a 60" flat panel television ($900). Now my cousin is asking for suggestions for what she should buy.

My response? Nothing.

Let him save up $1500 to buy them.  >:D

I was recently having a discussion with some friends on Facebook (private group) about what people spent on their kids for Christmas.  The upper end seemed to be about $200 per kid, and those were people with teens (so more expensive wants).  So it's hard to imagine that he'll actually get both of those.  I think it sounds like a great time for his mother to explain the concept of having a variety of items at different price points on one's wish list.  :)

They do sound really sweet.  :)  Surely they could get a few games to go with the Xbox.

My kids are each getting a card that tells them that we bought an animal in their name for a kid somewhere (one of those programs where you can buy "2 rabbits" or "10 chicks" or "a pair of goats" that will help somebody who is impoverished to get a start.  The pictures all have a little girl holding or pictured with the animals purchased.  Of course, they're getting other things, too.  Nothing quite so cool as a real goat, though.  :)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2110 on: December 20, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »
I'll second the suggestion for gift cards, with a twist.  I'd suggest getting the kids a gift card for someplace that sells stuff for the XBox and a gift card for someplace that sells stuff they can get for others.  Then, take them shopping, letting them get the games for themselves and letting them pick out the stuff they'll get to donate.  Not only will that make the donation more personal, it'll also help them understand how far the money goes in helping.

Virg

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2111 on: December 20, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »
Penny - I don't get the coat thing.  I do get the attitude: it's entitlement.  They feel entitled to bigger and better and more expensive and the world should obviously cater to them. 

I have owned my coat (black wool peacoat) for 6 or 7 years now and it's stylish and functional.  I got it for under a hundred bucks at a local Burlington Coat factory  (not sure if that's a national chain or not). 

I have a black wool tuxedo coat (does not fasten down the front - just kind of "drapes" into place) that I bought with my last substitute teacher check - so I know that it is older than my son & he's 20.

Sadly, it has shrunk a little bit over the years...and I went the other direction.

I plan to get some wool to replace it using this Butterick pattern  (or another coat) http://butterick.mccall.com/b5960-products-47653.php?page_id=4473&search_control=display&list=search - in part because it is almost the identical style - and in part because it doesn't take buttons, zippers, and complicated tailoring.

I'm just having trouble finding WOOL fabric instead of polyester that is NOT going to be warm enough, even in Houston, to keep a body warm in cold weather.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Minmom3

« Reply #2112 on: December 20, 2013, 11:53:51 PM »
VorFemme - this is the best fabric store in the San Francisco Bay Area  when it comes to clothing fabric.  I generally drool my way through their first floor fabrics - it's glorious stuff.

http://www.britexfabrics.com/fabric/wool-fabric/wool-coating.html
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2113 on: December 21, 2013, 03:17:33 AM »
VorFemme - this is the best fabric store in the San Francisco Bay Area  when it comes to clothing fabric.  I generally drool my way through their first floor fabrics - it's glorious stuff.

They actually sell stuff at those prices?

BarensMom

« Reply #2114 on: December 21, 2013, 05:59:53 AM »

They actually sell stuff at those prices?

Yup, I actually have some beautiful teal-colored wool that I bought on sale there.  The only problem with it is that I'm afraid to cut into it for fear I'll mess it up.