Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 624377 times)

missmarie

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2130 on: December 24, 2013, 04:53:51 AM »
Anyone who shopped at the USA target recently should check their statements carefully. My cousin is a victim of this one.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/77351/stolen-target-credit-card-data-likely-now-on-the-black-market

According to a lady I work with,  a lot of the credit card companies also dropped people's limit to $100 in an effort to control the damage.
Outside of a dog, books are man's best friend.  Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

Carotte

« Reply #2131 on: December 24, 2013, 05:04:53 AM »
I just received this email:

Notice of appearance in court NR#5317
Notice to Appear
To Me
Today at 9:26 AM
Notice to Appear,

Hereby you are notified that you have been scheduled to appear for your hearing that
will take place in the court of Washington in January 9, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Please bring all documents and witnesses relating to this case with you to Court on your hearing date.

The copy of the court notice is attached to this letter.
Please, read it thoroughly.

Note: If you do not attend the hearing the judge may hear the case in your absence.

Yours truly,
Isabella Tailor
Clerk to the Court.

1 Attachment
 Download attachment
Court_Notice_Jones_Day_Wa#0651.zip Download
Reply, Reply All or Forward | More

I love how the email is addressed "To Me", meaning the sender.

So, how does this scam works?
The chances that it goes to someone who is actually scheduled to have an hearing in or near Washington is pretty slim.
Those that do will (mostly) also have their own lawyer that they will turn to.
Self-representing, court-hearing expecting, scammer-bait people are, I would think, few and far betweens.
That leaves those that are not expecting an hearing, fret at the mix-up from the court or are afraid someone actually assigned them, so what, they 1) e-mail Isabella Tailor,  2) are told stuff,  3) profit?

Tia2

« Reply #2132 on: December 24, 2013, 05:28:23 AM »

1 Attachment
 Download attachment
Court_Notice_Jones_Day_Wa#0651.zip Download
Reply, Reply All or Forward | More

They want you to download the attachment which no doubt has some sort of virus in it - it could remotely monitor the computer or install malicious software of another type.  It's why when you download something, a lot of email programmes require you to take positive steps to confirm you want to do so.

I'm no computer expert, so I'm sure other posters could give better information.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 04:03:09 PM by Tiamet »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2133 on: December 24, 2013, 09:19:36 AM »
And they spelled the last name Taylor wrong.

Tailor is a surname, uncommon, so we can't go by that.

Search for "how many of me are there?" It is a fun site!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2134 on: December 24, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
Carotte wrote:

"So, how does this scam works?"

As Tiamet said, it's an attempt to get you to download the attachment, which won't be court documents but instead will be a Trojan horse program.  The declaration that you're facing a court hearing is to shock you, so you're less likely to think clearly about the ramifications of opening the attachment.

Also, as a public service announcement, I'll advise everyone never to open any attachment from a government entity.  Such entities never, ever conduct official business via email, so it's always a scam.  For this specific example, no court in the world would ever be able to get away with serving notice to appear by email, they'll do it by regular mail or someone will show up at your door.

Virg

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2135 on: December 24, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »
My guess is that they're figuring that *most* people will think they forgot to pay a ticket, and so that's why they have a court hearing.  That would explain why most people won't just be like, "But I don't have a court case?" and ignore it.  Some of them may not even happen to notice the location and just open the attachment.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2136 on: December 24, 2013, 10:59:02 AM »
According to some tech web sites I looked at, the attachment to that phishing email downloads malware called Kuluoz, "a trojan that tries to steal passwords that are stored in certain applications and sensitive files from your computer." It will also start using your email account to send out more copies of the spam.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Amara

« Reply #2137 on: December 24, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »
Also, if nothing else "the court of Washington" is beyond ridiculous.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2138 on: December 26, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »
VorFemme - this is the best fabric store in the San Francisco Bay Area  when it comes to clothing fabric.  I generally drool my way through their first floor fabrics - it's glorious stuff.

http://www.britexfabrics.com/fabric/wool-fabric/wool-coating.html

Actually - Fabric Mart (? - must check email later to verify the name of the place) had a clearance sale of a number of wool coating fabrics under $20 a yard.  I just ordered a bit over five yards of a dark graphite gray (in case I need to make the coat longer, since I am taller than average) and the added shipping still added up to less than $70 (discount for first order).  I can even make a "matching" scarf" - maybe a do a little felting, embroidery, or something to make it stand out as coordinating instead of the same fabric....?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #2139 on: December 26, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »
My uncle's recent sob story to my parents was how one of the cousins has been wearing the same winter coat for THREE years and just can not for the life of her find a new, warm coat for under $400!!!!! She's looked in all the right places - REI, EMS, Banana Republic, GAP. The only places in the world who sell coats.

Could you please send them some money so they can buy a new coat. Wearing a 3 year old coat has been such a struggle.  She'll cash the check when she gets back from her "girls weekend" in near by "Big City".

Wow...wonder what they'd think of my wearing the same coat since I was 13! lol My kids think it's hilarious, I'm just happy that is still in good condition and it is very warm.

Back on topic, I just found out today that court summons are no longer required to be physically served, they can now be sent directly to people's spam boxes:

Notice to Appear in Court,

This is to advise that you are required to attend
the court of Washington in January 14, 2014 for the hearing of your case.

Please, kindly prepare and bring the documents related to this case to Court on the date mentioned above.
Attendance is compulsory.

The copy of the court notice is attached to this letter, please, download and read it thoroughly.

RANDOLPH Tate
Clerk to the Court.

And of course, there is a zip file attached. It's from the international law firm of Hogan Lovells. I wonder if this is because the courier lady in the below link is mad that she was never released?

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=121827.msg2904269#msg2904269

ETA: I had two pages to go to finish reading the thread and didn't, only to find Zyrs received a similar one. Zyrs, did yours list the same law firm?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 09:25:59 PM by Where's the Quiet? »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2140 on: December 26, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »
I got the same email this morning as well. 

JoW

« Reply #2141 on: December 26, 2013, 10:36:15 PM »
Anyone who shopped at the USA target recently should check their statements carefully. My cousin is a victim of this one.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/77351/stolen-target-credit-card-data-likely-now-on-the-black-market

According to a lady I work with,  a lot of the credit card companies also dropped people's limit to $100 in an effort to control the damage.
And there's a secondary scam.  Scammers are sending emails that claim to be from Target investigating the security breach.  In those emails they ask for personal information, everything they need to steal your identity and spend your money.

If in doubt visit the Target website. 

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #2142 on: December 27, 2013, 02:37:10 AM »
Quote from: Where's the Quiet? link=topic=121827.msg3076803#msg3076803  Zyrs, did yours list the same law firm?
[/quote

Mine listed Isabella Tailor as the clerk of the court - the best part of it was the the salutation:

Notice of appearance in court NR#5317
Notice to Appear
To Me
Today at 9:26 AM
Notice to Appear

because every official document I've ever gotten has always been addressed "to Mr. Zyrs" rather than "to me".

RubyCat

« Reply #2143 on: December 27, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
Here's one:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/newsnow/x2132765702/East-Wareham-woman-arrested-for-re-selling-fraudulently-obtained-charity-gifts

A woman went to a local charity asking for toys for her young children. Turns out her children are grown and she was caught selling the toys. I'm happy to see she's being prosecuted.

Miss March

« Reply #2144 on: January 03, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
I'm wondering if this is a scam?

My husband has started getting annoyingly frequent calls to his cell phone from a number in Rhode Island. When he answers it, a robo-voice says "We have an important message for (and gives a name of some person we have never heard of)." It then says, "If you are (random person), please press one." It does not give any other option. My husband tried just sitting on the line, waiting to see if he'd get the chance to state that he is not Random Person, and nor does he know Random Person, but the call cut off. So then DH suggested that if it happened again, maybe he should just press 1, just to try and get someone real on the phone to clear up the mistake, but I told him that I'm afraid that it might be a bill collector call or a scam call, and that pressing 1 (which would suggest "Yes, I am Random Person") would only create more problems. I suggested that he just block the phone number.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo