Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 657162 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2145 on: January 03, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »
Miss March, that doesn't sound like a scam, but it does indeed sound like a collections company.  I wouldn't suggest that he press 1 on this, because for most collections agents, he'll be able to tell them that he has no relationship to the person they seek, but for a few they'll hound him anyway because they'll assume he's lying, and the risk isn't worth it these days when technology can solve the problem so thoroughly.  I'll second simply blocking the number.

Virg

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2146 on: January 03, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
My phone has the option to block certain phone numbers and won't show when they call after that. I recommend you use that feature.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2147 on: January 05, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »
Got a call from Montreal.  We have relatives in Canada so I answered.  Some woman spoke French and hung up.  I thought they got the wrong number, but decided to look it up and found pages of that number on 800Notes and the same thing happening to others (French then hanging up.)  Wonder what scam is.

Otterpop

« Reply #2148 on: January 05, 2014, 07:42:59 PM »
Got a call from Montreal.  We have relatives in Canada so I answered.  Some woman spoke French and hung up.  I thought they got the wrong number, but decided to look it up and found pages of that number on 800Notes and the same thing happening to others (French then hanging up.)  Wonder what scam is.

Hey that happened to me too, the other night (I'm in SoCal).  I heard a flurry of French on the phone, then she hung up.  I didn't think anything of it until now...

What IS up?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2149 on: January 05, 2014, 08:09:17 PM »
I'm wondering if this is a scam?

My husband has started getting annoyingly frequent calls to his cell phone from a number in Rhode Island. When he answers it, a robo-voice says "We have an important message for (and gives a name of some person we have never heard of)." It then says, "If you are (random person), please press one." It does not give any other option. My husband tried just sitting on the line, waiting to see if he'd get the chance to state that he is not Random Person, and nor does he know Random Person, but the call cut off. So then DH suggested that if it happened again, maybe he should just press 1, just to try and get someone real on the phone to clear up the mistake, but I told him that I'm afraid that it might be a bill collector call or a scam call, and that pressing 1 (which would suggest "Yes, I am Random Person") would only create more problems. I suggested that he just block the phone number.

I had thus happen for a period of time. I was getting calls for someone I'd never heard of, from law firms, collection agencies etc. what I kept doing was calling back the number, and telling them I don't know who this is, this is not her number, and never has been, and please correct your records. I never had any issues, they apologized and never called again. I was never hounded or had anyone insist I must know this person

Amara

« Reply #2150 on: January 05, 2014, 08:18:45 PM »
If this helps anyone, please feel free to use it. When I got a telephone number about ten or fifteen years ago I was immediately besieged by phone calls from creditors, collection agencies, and individuals wanting me to accept international collect calls. It was unreal because I would get as many as thirty calls a day! It took a full month before the calls slowed down and six or seven months before they finally ceased. When I checked with the phone company, I discovered the former "owner" of the number owed them a considerable amount of money too.

So from then on what I did was ask the phone company, when I was getting a new number, if there had been any outstanding balance on it. If there was it was a sure bet that more creditors would follow because if there was one unpaid bill there were going to be many more. If not, it would likely be fine. And it has proven so for me.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2151 on: January 05, 2014, 11:31:17 PM »
Not quite sure if this was a scam or not. Last Friday, a nicely dressed guy holding a set of car keys was standing by the intersection of a road I was driving down at about 9.30am, walking from car to car, asking for money. He was gesturing with his keys up the road, saying his car had run out of gas and could people please help him get enough gas to get home. When I had gotten through the intersection, I didn't see any car on the side of the road, so I'm not sure where he was pointing to with his keys.

At 3pm, when I drove the same route later, he was still there. I'm pretty sure he would have gotten enough donations for a couple of litres of fuel in 6 hours, which makes me suspicious. Surely in 6 hours, he could also have made alternative arrangements? Called a friend, or gotten to nearby ATMs to withdraw some cash, or figured out something other than asking people for gas money at traffic lights.

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2152 on: January 06, 2014, 01:03:25 PM »
Somewhere in this thread when it was newish, I wrote a story about a woman on side of road asking for money because her car ran out of gas (and said her baby was in the back seat though I saw no evidence; cue violins).  Then a short time later at the mall parking lot, a young man did the same thing.

I think there were other similar stories and when the poster(s) offered to get a can of gas, they "don't want to be a bother so please just give me money."  Yeah.  Scam.

Micah

« Reply #2153 on: January 06, 2014, 04:53:14 PM »
I had a website get through my popup blocker the other day. At first glance it was very official looking and quite scary.....Supposedly it was from the AFP (Australian Federal Police) and they'd found that my laptop had illegal files and downloads on it. Apparently they'd locked my browser and if I didn't pay the fine then and there I'd have to go to court and possibly face jail time. Admittedly my first response was "Gah! :o" especially when the page WOULD NOT GO AWAY and wouldn't allow me to access any other pages. Then I read the wall 'o' text more carefully. Apparently the 'illegal files' included child pron and videos of a deviant nature. Nuh, uh, I guarantee there's nothing of that sort on my computer. Also, the AFP logo was ever so slightly wrong, there were a few spelling mistakes and they wanted me to pay the $100 dollar fine in internet vouchers!  ::) I dunno, but I reckon if the AFP thought I had child pron on my computer they wouldn't be blocking my browser and wanting me to pay a $100 fine to avoid court and jail. There'd be a few people knocking my door down, seizing computers in the house and asking some very pointed questions. Luckily I back everything important up to usb, so I just formatted back to factory settings and started again, just in case.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2154 on: January 06, 2014, 07:58:12 PM »
I had a website get through my popup blocker the other day. At first glance it was very official looking and quite scary.....Supposedly it was from the AFP (Australian Federal Police) and they'd found that my laptop had illegal files and downloads on it. Apparently they'd locked my browser and if I didn't pay the fine then and there I'd have to go to court and possibly face jail time. Admittedly my first response was "Gah! :o" especially when the page WOULD NOT GO AWAY and wouldn't allow me to access any other pages. Then I read the wall 'o' text more carefully. Apparently the 'illegal files' included child pron and videos of a deviant nature. Nuh, uh, I guarantee there's nothing of that sort on my computer. Also, the AFP logo was ever so slightly wrong, there were a few spelling mistakes and they wanted me to pay the $100 dollar fine in internet vouchers!  ::) I dunno, but I reckon if the AFP thought I had child pron on my computer they wouldn't be blocking my browser and wanting me to pay a $100 fine to avoid court and jail. There'd be a few people knocking my door down, seizing computers in the house and asking some very pointed questions. Luckily I back everything important up to usb, so I just formatted back to factory settings and started again, just in case.

Tried that in November - the computer locked up.  Got the recovery disk set from the company & tried again.  Got Crystal Disk installed to a different computer and checked the status of the hard drive, in an external caddy, how many times it had been restarted, how many hours it had been powered on (over two years), and the number of bad sectors, etc.  It was in bad shape - so I tried running the recovery disk set with a NEWER hard drive in good shape.

I can get a Linux distro installed & it will run on either hard drive...but it does not want to work with Windows 7 at all.

Last time we buy a refurbished laptop...I have no idea if that was related to the early failure or not.  It's sitting in my "office" waiting until I get over the flu completely to mess with it any more.  Or take it, the recovery disk set, a new hard drive, and some money to a repair shop to let them fix it. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Micah

« Reply #2155 on: January 07, 2014, 12:32:31 AM »
Tried that in November - the computer locked up.  Got the recovery disk set from the company & tried again.  Got Crystal Disk installed to a different computer and checked the status of the hard drive, in an external caddy, how many times it had been restarted, how many hours it had been powered on (over two years), and the number of bad sectors, etc.  It was in bad shape - so I tried running the recovery disk set with a NEWER hard drive in good shape.

I can get a Linux distro installed & it will run on either hard drive...but it does not want to work with Windows 7 at all.

Last time we buy a refurbished laptop...I have no idea if that was related to the early failure or not.  It's sitting in my "office" waiting until I get over the flu completely to mess with it any more.  Or take it, the recovery disk set, a new hard drive, and some money to a repair shop to let them fix it. 
[/quote]

Dunno, format back to factory worked fine for me. Only took about an hour all up and completely got rid of the 'federal police', heh  :P
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

scotcat60

« Reply #2156 on: January 07, 2014, 07:18:18 AM »
Surely Derby is THE Derby city?

But the Derby is run at Epsom, first Saturday in June. Used to be the first Wednesday, but they changed it.

There was a Tv documentary about scammers on last week in the UK. Some people were deliberately inviting people to come and collect the money they were asking for as a security for much larger payments. They got one chap come all the way from Africa to a remote area of Cornwall, and then told him he was a scammer. He beat a hasty retreat. Risky though.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2157 on: January 07, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »

I have been shut down twice by the FBI and CIA for trafficking in child pron....complete with the logos of both departments and a few hideous pictures supposedly taken from my computer.  All I needed to do was send $350 to a Paypal account and they would unfreeze my computer.  Because, of course, the FBI and CIA just want the fine money and they will let me go back to trafficking again and not come to tear my house apart.

I kind of admire the scammers' naivety when setting these things up.  They seem almost childlike in their belief...and I suppose they should be since so many allegedly intelligent human beings fall for it every year.

Don't remember if I mentioned my elderly neighbor who was being harassed by "the Jamaican FBI" to pay them $2500.  Why?  Well, it seems she had won millions in the Jamaican national sweepstakes and if she didn't send them the $2500 clearing fee to get the money, they would put her in jail.

Because that's what you do with prize winners.  My inclination is to say "take the money out of my winnings."

Monsters.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2158 on: January 07, 2014, 09:52:33 AM »
With regard to side of the road scammers:

In Connecticut we had a case years ago, where a young couple would stand at major intersections in various towns with their children, holding up signs about how they were working but couldn't make ends meet.  Or they would hold up signs about being needy and hungry and needing money for food.  Sometimes they had signs that read "Will work for food", but what ultimately happened was they got money.

Turned out they lived in the best neighborhood of the richest city in the state and had decided they just didn't feel like actually working for a living anymore.  They weren't millionaires, but they were revealed to be pretty well off.  Once they got outed, I wonder if they had trouble looking for real work to pay their bills.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #2159 on: January 07, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »

Sir/Madam,

Your order WM-002772057 delivery has failed because the address was not specified correctly. You are advised to fill this form and send it back to us.

If your reply is not received within one week, you will be paid your money back but 17% will be deducted since you order was booked for Christmas holidays.

I got the same email from Costco.  ::)