News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 08:51:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2243227 times)

Queen of Clubs

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2295 on: February 18, 2014, 08:45:40 AM »
I received an email this morning informing me that I'd won the Spanish National Lottery.  The email was covered with all kinds of official-looking government seals and emblems, it came from an office with a street address in Madrid, and it was signed by Don Jose Gomez.  The most interesting thing about it was that all of the text was in German.

A friend of mine in the US keeps on getting emails from the queen (Queen Elizabeth II) telling her she's won the national lottery.  I think she's won 3 or more times by now.  I'm rather sad because the queen's never emailed me and I'm British. :(

On the plus side, I did have three separate men email me from the same bank offering me millions if I gave them my bank details.  Between them and the ladies who are looking for unselfish people to look after their millions, I think I'll be set for life.

MrTango

« Reply #2296 on: February 18, 2014, 10:11:13 AM »
I got a phone call this morning from the 585 area code (Rochester, NY).  Not recognizing the number, I let it go to voicemail. Apparently, I owe the IRS money and they need me to "not play games" and return their call right away. I think the caller gave his callback number twice, but his accent was so thick (and his English so terrible) that I couldn't quite make it out.

Maybe this is wrong, but I would think that if I owed the IRS money, they'd have someone who actually speaks English clearly be the one to contact me.  Also, wouldn't they have an 800 number, or at least a local number with a DC area code?

pwv

« Reply #2297 on: February 18, 2014, 10:14:25 AM »
I received an email this morning informing me that I'd won the Spanish National Lottery.  The email was covered with all kinds of official-looking government seals and emblems, it came from an office with a street address in Madrid, and it was signed by Don Jose Gomez.  The most interesting thing about it was that all of the text was in German.

A friend of mine in the US keeps on getting emails from the queen (Queen Elizabeth II) telling her she's won the national lottery.  I think she's won 3 or more times by now.  I'm rather sad because the queen's never emailed me and I'm British. :(

On the plus side, I did have three separate men email me from the same bank offering me millions if I gave them my bank details.  Between them and the ladies who are looking for unselfish people to look after their millions, I think I'll be set for life.

I just got this in my spam folder:

You have won 800,000.00 British pound lottery February promo, fill in the form below for your prize claim.  Contact Evans Brian for your claims at this Email:evmoore6@gmail.com; Write your information below.  Full name/Address /Sex/Date of Birth/occupation/Country.  Waiting to receive your email. Regards

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #2298 on: February 18, 2014, 10:18:55 AM »
MrTango, the IRS has plenty of offices nationally. It's possible to get a call from one of those. But this page has some good information about what they will and won't ask you: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Identity-Protection-Tips

I don't think an accent or an area code was your tip-off; the language about playing games probably was.

The IRS office in Rochester, NY: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-My-Local-Office-in-New-York

Virg

« Reply #2299 on: February 18, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »
MrTango wrote:

"Maybe this is wrong, but I would think that if I owed the IRS money, they'd have someone who actually speaks English clearly be the one to contact me.  Also, wouldn't they have an 800 number, or at least a local number with a DC area code?"

If the IRS wanted to talk to you, they'd mail you a letter.  If they really wanted to talk to you, they'd send a sheriff to deliver it.

Virg

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #2300 on: February 18, 2014, 11:16:02 AM »
I got a phone call this morning from the 585 area code (Rochester, NY).  Not recognizing the number, I let it go to voicemail. Apparently, I owe the IRS money and they need me to "not play games" and return their call right away. I think the caller gave his callback number twice, but his accent was so thick (and his English so terrible) that I couldn't quite make it out.

Maybe this is wrong, but I would think that if I owed the IRS money, they'd have someone who actually speaks English clearly be the one to contact me.  Also, wouldn't they have an 800 number, or at least a local number with a DC area code?

When the IRS mistakenly thought I owed them money they sent me a letter. No phone calls at all. The letter was nice - i could send it to  my accountant as is so he could prove why the money wasn't actually owned. If I had to write the info from a phone call down who knows what info would have been missed.

Alli8098

« Reply #2301 on: February 18, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »

That sounds like the same area code with the call I got last year trying to extort money out of me saying I owed a debt.  BTW, apparently we've had a snafu with our 2012 filing and the IRS is trying to collect money.  However they sent me a letter in the mail with the details.  I didn't get a pushy call from someone trying to collect the debt.  Luckily for us filing an amended return should fix our problem.  They say we never reported my husband's unemployment income when we in fact did report it.  It could be a figure is off somewhere and according to my CPA friend the IRS can get very picky and/or confused (I'm leaning toward confused) if something doesn't match up exactly. 

Anyway back to that voicemail, ignore it.  If you owe the IRS they will contact you by mail or possibly from your local office.  If they call again and you answer get their info and let them know you are reporting them to the Attorney General.  In my case with the phone call from that area code it is a known scam and the Attorney General (usually your local one) wants to know if you are getting phone calls like that so they can try to take action.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #2302 on: February 18, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »
Lately I've been getting e-mails about how my {complain I didn't file} has been received and to be in court in {state I've never set foot in}.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #2303 on: February 18, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
Well, my eviction notices are getting angrier. The latest:

Be advised that you must exit the occupied premises
until March 09, 2014 or be forcibly removed!
Any resistance will be met with strict legal sanctions
or forcible removal of your family from your home.
Find a copy of the vacate notice in the attachment to this notification.

An exclamation point and everything in this one!

shhh its me

« Reply #2304 on: February 18, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »

I don't exactly understand the point of this one.  ok even is someone believed it without checking anything out , what does the con artist gain? is there some UNLESS you send us $xxx somewhere in it?

magicdomino

« Reply #2305 on: February 18, 2014, 02:36:53 PM »

I don't exactly understand the point of this one.  ok even is someone believed it without checking anything out , what does the con artist gain? is there some UNLESS you send us $xxx somewhere in it?

There's probably a nasty virus lurking in the attachment.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2306 on: February 18, 2014, 02:42:46 PM »
MrTango wrote:

"Maybe this is wrong, but I would think that if I owed the IRS money, they'd have someone who actually speaks English clearly be the one to contact me.  Also, wouldn't they have an 800 number, or at least a local number with a DC area code?"

If the IRS wanted to talk to you, they'd mail you a letter.  If they really wanted to talk to you, they'd send a sheriff to deliver it.

Virg
I get these from our equivalent, the ATO. And yes, they'd send me a letter first if they wanted to talk to me, they know where I am.

shhh its me

« Reply #2307 on: February 18, 2014, 04:09:43 PM »

There's probably a nasty virus lurking in the attachment.

Thanks I missed that line :)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2308 on: February 18, 2014, 06:46:08 PM »
I'm getting all kinds of email about cable internet & TV services - whether we are going to be disconnected, we need to disconnect to find a better provider, or our bill will go down if I click on the link in the email.

NOT going to happen, even if it didn't get sorted to the Spam folder.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2309 on: February 18, 2014, 06:48:22 PM »

The first thing that came into my mind was 'Resistance is futile!'  Apparently, I watch too much Star Trek.   :P
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario