Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 576784 times)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2310 on: February 18, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »
Lately I've been getting e-mails about how my {complain I didn't file} has been received and to be in court in {state I've never set foot in}.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #2311 on: February 18, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
Well, my eviction notices are getting angrier. The latest:

Be advised that you must exit the occupied premises
until March 09, 2014 or be forcibly removed!
Any resistance will be met with strict legal sanctions
or forcible removal of your family from your home.
Find a copy of the vacate notice in the attachment to this notification.

An exclamation point and everything in this one!

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2312 on: February 18, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »

I don't exactly understand the point of this one.  ok even is someone believed it without checking anything out , what does the con artist gain? is there some UNLESS you send us $xxx somewhere in it?

magicdomino

« Reply #2313 on: February 18, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »

I don't exactly understand the point of this one.  ok even is someone believed it without checking anything out , what does the con artist gain? is there some UNLESS you send us $xxx somewhere in it?

There's probably a nasty virus lurking in the attachment.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2314 on: February 18, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »
MrTango wrote:

"Maybe this is wrong, but I would think that if I owed the IRS money, they'd have someone who actually speaks English clearly be the one to contact me.  Also, wouldn't they have an 800 number, or at least a local number with a DC area code?"

If the IRS wanted to talk to you, they'd mail you a letter.  If they really wanted to talk to you, they'd send a sheriff to deliver it.

Virg
I get these from our equivalent, the ATO. And yes, they'd send me a letter first if they wanted to talk to me, they know where I am.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2315 on: February 18, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »

There's probably a nasty virus lurking in the attachment.

Thanks I missed that line :)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2316 on: February 18, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »
I'm getting all kinds of email about cable internet & TV services - whether we are going to be disconnected, we need to disconnect to find a better provider, or our bill will go down if I click on the link in the email.

NOT going to happen, even if it didn't get sorted to the Spam folder.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2317 on: February 18, 2014, 07:48:22 PM »

The first thing that came into my mind was 'Resistance is futile!'  Apparently, I watch too much Star Trek.   :P
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2318 on: February 19, 2014, 01:31:08 AM »
I'm getting all kinds of email about cable internet & TV services - whether we are going to be disconnected, we need to disconnect to find a better provider, or our bill will go down if I click on the link in the email.

The TV service my late aunt was with keeps sending her letters at my address telling us, "We're trying to contact you!"  After the first three letters I called them and e-mailed them and told them she was deceased.  Then they tried to get me to sign up - not happening.  But it's funny - some days she gets more mail than I do. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #2319 on: February 19, 2014, 08:34:09 AM »

The TV service my late aunt was with keeps sending her letters at my address telling us, "We're trying to contact you!"  After the first three letters I called them and e-mailed them and told them she was deceased.  Then they tried to get me to sign up - not happening.  But it's funny - some days she gets more mail than I do.

That reminds me of a funny story.  When my friend's mother died, she was at the house a few days later, cleaning out the house (her father had died a year or so before).    She went outside with an armload of stuff to put into her car and saw a young man with a clipboard, wearing a shirt that advertised a local popular cable company.  He asked her about why the cable had been canceled for this address.  She said, 'Because the occupants are deceased.'   He looked down at his clipboard, then looked up at her and said, 'Do you know what service they've changed to?'

Uh....the Cloud, perhaps??    LOL

lilfox

« Reply #2320 on: February 19, 2014, 06:44:20 PM »
Kind of a boring one in my inbox. Although since he's writing from the UK (I'm in the US), I assume the 15.2 mil is in pounds not dollars so it's even more lucrative than on first reading!

Hello,

How are you and your family? I sent you several emails without getting a response about your late uncle's deposits with his bank, I don't know if you have not been receiving the messages. Being his lawyer I have started working on the 15.2 million Mr Adams left in the bank and the bank would like to have you come forward with some vital documents. Please send the under listed information to me immediately.

Names
Current Address
Contact numbers
Occupation

The 15.2 million would be released to you within 10 working days according to the director and I working to make sure you receive it with the same period. I await your immediate response.

Regards,

Gerard Elias QC

phred246

« Reply #2321 on: February 19, 2014, 09:29:50 PM »
   Last year I got a phone call from a woman with a bad English accent (calling from D.C.), telling me that since I had such a good credit rating (no late payments, no bankruptcy filing in the last two years, etc.), that the federal government was going to give me a $6200 grant that I would never have to pay back! I promptly informed her that, from what she had just said, she had absolutely no idea what was on my credit reports, therefore she was a scammer, and Good-Bye! I got an identical call a couple months later from a guy, but his English was so bad, I told him I didn't understand him and hung up!

And I also have received emails, evicting me from my place of residence/mandatory court appearances!  What makes it interesting is that my wife and I broke the lease on our last apartment after a month, due to bad living conditions, but that is another story!

Edited because I can't type!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:32:44 PM by phred246 »
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

yachtchick

• Caribbean Cat Charters
« Reply #2322 on: February 20, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »
I can't figure out what the proposed scam was here - fishing for account info or what?  i got an email from a man asking about rates for ten days - 6 people - two rooms and dates.  I replied we were a yacht not a hotel but for $19,385 he could have all inclusive.  Was there a way to contact him?  He sent me an email giving me a number to to text him.  I did so and asked if we could speak?  He texted back he was deaf.  OK.

Why did i keep going?  Well a $3,000 commission is worth a little effort.  He emailed his credit card information.  I emailed back all details including a contract and a credit card authorization.  He replied he was "at sea" and could not print anything ... could I just run the credit card.  I replied no.  He said this will not work for him.

Now I get this was a scam but what was it all about?  If I ran the $19,385 on the card and it cleared, he would demand a refund but that was no biggie. We would reverse the charges.  May trying to get my bank account information? Any ideas?

You can not control the wind - you can only adjust your sails.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2323 on: February 20, 2014, 03:54:10 PM »
I can't figure out what the proposed scam was here - fishing for account info or what?  i got an email from a man asking about rates for ten days - 6 people - two rooms and dates.  I replied we were a yacht not a hotel but for $19,385 he could have all inclusive.  Was there a way to contact him?  He sent me an email giving me a number to to text him.  I did so and asked if we could speak?  He texted back he was deaf.  OK.

Why did i keep going?  Well a $3,000 commission is worth a little effort.  He emailed his credit card information.  I emailed back all details including a contract and a credit card authorization.  He replied he was "at sea" and could not print anything ... could I just run the credit card.  I replied no.  He said this will not work for him.

Now I get this was a scam but what was it all about?  If I ran the $19,385 on the card and it cleared, he would demand a refund but that was no biggie. We would reverse the charges.  May trying to get my bank account information? Any ideas?

Probably a stolen credit card.  And then he'd argue for a refund through different means, so he'd get the money and the owner of the card would be stuck with the charge but not the refund.

Coralreef

« Reply #2324 on: February 20, 2014, 04:17:59 PM »
I got a nice email from Revenu Canada that they owed me 300 Euros. 

Yeah, we haven't crossed the pond yet.

[/right