News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 17, 2017, 12:51:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2255513 times)

Sirius

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2310 on: February 19, 2014, 12:31:08 AM »
I'm getting all kinds of email about cable internet & TV services - whether we are going to be disconnected, we need to disconnect to find a better provider, or our bill will go down if I click on the link in the email.

NOT going to happen, even if it didn't get sorted to the Spam folder.

The TV service my late aunt was with keeps sending her letters at my address telling us, "We're trying to contact you!"  After the first three letters I called them and e-mailed them and told them she was deceased.  Then they tried to get me to sign up - not happening.  But it's funny - some days she gets more mail than I do. 

lilfox

« Reply #2311 on: February 19, 2014, 05:44:20 PM »
Kind of a boring one in my inbox. Although since he's writing from the UK (I'm in the US), I assume the 15.2 mil is in pounds not dollars so it's even more lucrative than on first reading!

Hello,

How are you and your family? I sent you several emails without getting a response about your late uncle's deposits with his bank, I don't know if you have not been receiving the messages. Being his lawyer I have started working on the 15.2 million Mr Adams left in the bank and the bank would like to have you come forward with some vital documents. Please send the under listed information to me immediately.

Names
Current Address
Contact numbers
Occupation

The 15.2 million would be released to you within 10 working days according to the director and I working to make sure you receive it with the same period. I await your immediate response.

Regards,

Gerard Elias QC

phred246

« Reply #2312 on: February 19, 2014, 08:29:50 PM »
   Last year I got a phone call from a woman with a bad English accent (calling from D.C.), telling me that since I had such a good credit rating (no late payments, no bankruptcy filing in the last two years, etc.), that the federal government was going to give me a $6200 grant that I would never have to pay back! I promptly informed her that, from what she had just said, she had absolutely no idea what was on my credit reports, therefore she was a scammer, and Good-Bye! I got an identical call a couple months later from a guy, but his English was so bad, I told him I didn't understand him and hung up!

And I also have received emails, evicting me from my place of residence/mandatory court appearances!  What makes it interesting is that my wife and I broke the lease on our last apartment after a month, due to bad living conditions, but that is another story!

Edited because I can't type!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:32:44 PM by phred246 »
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

yachtchick

• Caribbean Cat Charters
« Reply #2313 on: February 20, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »
I can't figure out what the proposed scam was here - fishing for account info or what?  i got an email from a man asking about rates for ten days - 6 people - two rooms and dates.  I replied we were a yacht not a hotel but for $19,385 he could have all inclusive.  Was there a way to contact him?  He sent me an email giving me a number to to text him.  I did so and asked if we could speak?  He texted back he was deaf.  OK.

Why did i keep going?  Well a $3,000 commission is worth a little effort.  He emailed his credit card information.  I emailed back all details including a contract and a credit card authorization.  He replied he was "at sea" and could not print anything ... could I just run the credit card.  I replied no.  He said this will not work for him.

Now I get this was a scam but what was it all about?  If I ran the $19,385 on the card and it cleared, he would demand a refund but that was no biggie. We would reverse the charges.  May trying to get my bank account information? Any ideas?

You can not control the wind - you can only adjust your sails.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2314 on: February 20, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
I can't figure out what the proposed scam was here - fishing for account info or what?  i got an email from a man asking about rates for ten days - 6 people - two rooms and dates.  I replied we were a yacht not a hotel but for $19,385 he could have all inclusive.  Was there a way to contact him?  He sent me an email giving me a number to to text him.  I did so and asked if we could speak?  He texted back he was deaf.  OK.

Why did i keep going?  Well a $3,000 commission is worth a little effort.  He emailed his credit card information.  I emailed back all details including a contract and a credit card authorization.  He replied he was "at sea" and could not print anything ... could I just run the credit card.  I replied no.  He said this will not work for him.

Now I get this was a scam but what was it all about?  If I ran the $19,385 on the card and it cleared, he would demand a refund but that was no biggie. We would reverse the charges.  May trying to get my bank account information? Any ideas?

Probably a stolen credit card.  And then he'd argue for a refund through different means, so he'd get the money and the owner of the card would be stuck with the charge but not the refund.

Coralreef

« Reply #2315 on: February 20, 2014, 03:17:59 PM »
I got a nice email from Revenu Canada that they owed me 300 Euros. 

Yeah, we haven't crossed the pond yet.
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2316 on: February 20, 2014, 11:16:43 PM »
We have a home that we are trying to rent out, and it's amazing how many responses you get that are of the Nigerian scam variety.  (Love the place, want to move in, are going to send a check, please mail the key.)
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Otterpop

« Reply #2317 on: February 21, 2014, 12:44:46 AM »
We have a home that we are trying to rent out, and it's amazing how many responses you get that are of the Nigerian scam variety.  (Love the place, want to move in, are going to send a check, please mail the key.)

Yeah I get that a lot too.  They want to rent the place sight unseen because they are from another country.  They will mail you a check for the rent+deposit+money to pay for furniture that has to be shipped.  The scam is they will cancel the deal and ask for a wire transfer refund.  Later, you find the check was fake and you are out the refund.

Fortunately for me, we only deal with cash in hand from people we see, in person, first.  They stop communicating once these details are discussed.

Alli8098

« Reply #2318 on: February 21, 2014, 12:45:18 AM »

I've experienced the other side of this when looking for a rental property.  I'll put in a request for more info on the place only to get an email back instructing me to send money as the owner is out of town and then they'll send me the keys.  Basically that is the condensed version of the communication.  It's funny, the owner is usually a pastor or minister out of the country doing missionary work.  If you research the properties further they are usually homes that are not for rent.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #2319 on: February 21, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »
I had a missed call on our landline yesterday from "U.S. Government" I don't remember if it was an 800 number or not. No message, although they had let it ring enough times that it did leave a message number beeping. Scam? Anyone else get this?

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2320 on: February 21, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »
I had a missed call on our landline yesterday from "U.S. Government" I don't remember if it was an 800 number or not. No message, although they had let it ring enough times that it did leave a message number beeping. Scam? Anyone else get this?

If I'm concerned I'll google the phone number.  There are quite a few sites out there where people report telemarketer/scammer phone numbers. 

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #2321 on: February 21, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »

If I'm concerned I'll google the phone number.  There are quite a few sites out there where people report telemarketer/scammer phone numbers.

I do this at times, as well, just because I'm curious.  If there's no message, I don't return a call - as I've told my kids, "If they don't leave a message, they didn't really want to talk to me!"

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #2322 on: February 21, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
My MIL also humored one of those "you've won a cruise!" calls, just to see how it played out.  First she had to answer some survey questions that seemed harmless enough, and then the guy said congratulations, you're all set up for your free cruise. We just need you to pay the port taxes of $78. MIl said no, you said it was a free cruise, why would I be paying anything? After a little back and forth, she was bumped up to the supervisor.

She said he explained why she would have to pay the taxes, but then it comes out that a) the cruise leaves from Miami, which is about as far from where MIL lives as you can get in the US, and b) it's a one night cruise. So she said, in addition to the port taxes, I would need to fly 3000 miles on my own dime to go on my "free" cruise for one night? No thanks.

Much like a time share spiel, the cruise might have actually been free, with lots of pressure to extend at your cost and/or be bombarded with sales pitches the whole time.

They usually are free, but you have to 1) pay port taxes/fees, 2) get to the port, and 3) it's on a REALLY old and crappy ship from some cruise line you've never heard of.  Oasis of the Seas/Norwegian Breakaway this ain't.
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #2323 on: February 21, 2014, 03:34:35 PM »

It's not a scam. I have multiple members of my family that work for the government.  When they call me from their office the number always comes up as U.S. Government [local area code] - 965-1234. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2324 on: February 21, 2014, 03:41:56 PM »

I've experienced the other side of this when looking for a rental property.  I'll put in a request for more info on the place only to get an email back instructing me to send money as the owner is out of town and then they'll send me the keys.  Basically that is the condensed version of the communication.  It's funny, the owner is usually a pastor or minister out of the country doing missionary work.  If you research the properties further they are usually homes that are not for rent.

Yeah, I ran into this when we were looking to rent a few years ago.  I was disappointed, because the place had sounded really, really good.  Apparently too good to be true.  I reported it as a scam to craigslist and got it removed, but I'm sure it popped up again.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17