Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 624020 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2325 on: February 21, 2014, 12:16:43 AM »
We have a home that we are trying to rent out, and it's amazing how many responses you get that are of the Nigerian scam variety.  (Love the place, want to move in, are going to send a check, please mail the key.)

Otterpop

« Reply #2326 on: February 21, 2014, 01:44:46 AM »
We have a home that we are trying to rent out, and it's amazing how many responses you get that are of the Nigerian scam variety.  (Love the place, want to move in, are going to send a check, please mail the key.)

Yeah I get that a lot too.  They want to rent the place sight unseen because they are from another country.  They will mail you a check for the rent+deposit+money to pay for furniture that has to be shipped.  The scam is they will cancel the deal and ask for a wire transfer refund.  Later, you find the check was fake and you are out the refund.

Fortunately for me, we only deal with cash in hand from people we see, in person, first.  They stop communicating once these details are discussed.

Alli8098

« Reply #2327 on: February 21, 2014, 01:45:18 AM »

I've experienced the other side of this when looking for a rental property.  I'll put in a request for more info on the place only to get an email back instructing me to send money as the owner is out of town and then they'll send me the keys.  Basically that is the condensed version of the communication.  It's funny, the owner is usually a pastor or minister out of the country doing missionary work.  If you research the properties further they are usually homes that are not for rent.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #2328 on: February 21, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »
I had a missed call on our landline yesterday from "U.S. Government" I don't remember if it was an 800 number or not. No message, although they had let it ring enough times that it did leave a message number beeping. Scam? Anyone else get this?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2329 on: February 21, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »
I had a missed call on our landline yesterday from "U.S. Government" I don't remember if it was an 800 number or not. No message, although they had let it ring enough times that it did leave a message number beeping. Scam? Anyone else get this?

If I'm concerned I'll google the phone number.  There are quite a few sites out there where people report telemarketer/scammer phone numbers. 

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #2330 on: February 21, 2014, 02:04:48 PM »

If I'm concerned I'll google the phone number.  There are quite a few sites out there where people report telemarketer/scammer phone numbers.

I do this at times, as well, just because I'm curious.  If there's no message, I don't return a call - as I've told my kids, "If they don't leave a message, they didn't really want to talk to me!"

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #2331 on: February 21, 2014, 03:14:28 PM »
My MIL also humored one of those "you've won a cruise!" calls, just to see how it played out.  First she had to answer some survey questions that seemed harmless enough, and then the guy said congratulations, you're all set up for your free cruise. We just need you to pay the port taxes of $78. MIl said no, you said it was a free cruise, why would I be paying anything? After a little back and forth, she was bumped up to the supervisor.

She said he explained why she would have to pay the taxes, but then it comes out that a) the cruise leaves from Miami, which is about as far from where MIL lives as you can get in the US, and b) it's a one night cruise. So she said, in addition to the port taxes, I would need to fly 3000 miles on my own dime to go on my "free" cruise for one night? No thanks.

Much like a time share spiel, the cruise might have actually been free, with lots of pressure to extend at your cost and/or be bombarded with sales pitches the whole time.

They usually are free, but you have to 1) pay port taxes/fees, 2) get to the port, and 3) it's on a REALLY old and crappy ship from some cruise line you've never heard of.  Oasis of the Seas/Norwegian Breakaway this ain't.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2332 on: February 21, 2014, 04:34:35 PM »

It's not a scam. I have multiple members of my family that work for the government.  When they call me from their office the number always comes up as U.S. Government [local area code] - 965-1234. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2333 on: February 21, 2014, 04:41:56 PM »

I've experienced the other side of this when looking for a rental property.  I'll put in a request for more info on the place only to get an email back instructing me to send money as the owner is out of town and then they'll send me the keys.  Basically that is the condensed version of the communication.  It's funny, the owner is usually a pastor or minister out of the country doing missionary work.  If you research the properties further they are usually homes that are not for rent.

Yeah, I ran into this when we were looking to rent a few years ago.  I was disappointed, because the place had sounded really, really good.  Apparently too good to be true.  I reported it as a scam to craigslist and got it removed, but I'm sure it popped up again.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2334 on: February 25, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »
Notice of eviction,

This notice is to inform you that your home has been foreclosed
on by the bank and you need to move out until March 27, 2014.
To make necessary arrangements you have to contact
us in the earliest possible time.

If you decide to cooperate and fulfill you obligations,
the bank will offer you a reasonable period of time for moving out.
Otherwise, you will be evicted in an administrative proceeding.
Please do contact us in the shortest possible time.

Enclosed is the detailed statement of the bank.

Real estate agency,
Emma Tailor

(The attached "detailed statement" looks like an executable file, so it's probably malware. )

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #2335 on: February 25, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »
Yep, kill it with fire.

People actually will fall for that is the enraging thing.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2336 on: February 25, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
Don't they realize that people would possibly, oh ... I don't know ..., CALL THE BANK?   ::)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2337 on: February 25, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »
Don't they realize that people would possibly, oh ... I don't know ..., CALL THE BANK?   ::)

The trouble is, people who are na´ve about these things may click the link while they're still thinking "What the...? I'm not in arrears!" and not thinking about malware.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MrTango

« Reply #2338 on: February 25, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »

They don't care if the smart ones call the bank.

Lets say you have a 1% success rate on getting people to download the attachment, and only 1% of those downloads are not stopped by the computer's antivirus software.  That means you're infecting .01% (one in ten thousand) recipients.  Now, let's say you email that scam to a million email addresses (sent from a list harvested from online surveys, mailing lists, etc).  If each of those hundred computers you infect can get you an average $100 profit, you've made $10,000 with very little effort.

Oh, and you now have even more email addresses because you've harvested the address books of your victims, so you can sell those addresses (as well as adding them to your list of potential victims.

Just think if you could get someone to download it on a company-owned computer or a public computer (say, in a library) because that's even more data that can be harvested for potential profit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:20:13 PM by MrTango »

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2339 on: February 25, 2014, 02:24:08 PM »
Not to mention, if the malware itself harvests the email addresses that it was clicked from, then you now have a prime list of known dupes.  They might be great targets to then hit with another scam, perhaps the "This is Microsoft Windows.  We just received notification of a virus coming from your computer.  Gives us money and we'll fix it," that type of thing.