Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 690340 times)

Lorelei_Evil

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2340 on: February 25, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »
Don't they realize that people would possibly, oh ... I don't know ..., CALL THE BANK?   ::)

The trouble is, people who are naïve about these things may click the link while they're still thinking "What the...? I'm not in arrears!" and not thinking about malware.

I know more than one person who has no idea what the bank's name is.  "How am I supposed to know?  My husband handles all of that!!!"  *CLICK*

Coralreef

« Reply #2341 on: February 25, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »
Not to mention, if the malware itself harvests the email addresses that it was clicked from, then you now have a prime list of known dupes.  They might be great targets to then hit with another scam, perhaps the "This is Microsoft Windows.  We just received notification of a virus coming from your computer.  Gives us money and we'll fix it," that type of thing.

Or even better, "We know you got scammed, pay us and we'll get your money / clear your name / arrange with lawyers / banks".

I've heard on the news of a couple of elderly people who got scamed by this... twice.

[/right

squeakers

« Reply #2342 on: February 25, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
Be careful of the one ring call back scam: http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/scams-rip-offs/beware-one-ring-scam-your-phone/ndCkc/

It's another reason to _not_ call back missed calls.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2343 on: February 25, 2014, 04:53:14 PM »
I don't know what the scam is here, but I was on Amazon, looking at a very newly-published book. As in so new, Amazon lists it as in stock, but the listed publication date is next month. The book is selling for $15 (Kindle version) - $60 (hardcover).

2 outfits have listings for used copies - at $999 each.

What???
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2344 on: February 25, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »
I don't know what the scam is here, but I was on Amazon, looking at a very newly-published book. As in so new, Amazon lists it as in stock, but the listed publication date is next month. The book is selling for $15 (Kindle version) - $60 (hardcover).

What???

People think other people are dumb enough to buy a copy at whatever price? Other than that, I have nothing.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2345 on: February 25, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
It is probably not a scam but a glitch from several sellers using automated pricing schemes. The first seller lists the book and sets his algorithm. The second seller lists his at a slightly higher price and sets an algorithm as well. Most pricing algorithms will increase the price if the average price increases (or more complicated schemes that end up doing the same), so the first price increases. This, of course, sets off the second and so on. This can happen on books that have only a few sellers.

Carotte

« Reply #2346 on: February 25, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »
I was once compelled to write a thread message for a toy on amazon because of the crazy price.
It was for a sonic screwdriver, a plastic replica toy from the British show Doctor Who, not even the latest version and it wasn't soldout or anything.
More than one store carries it (but there's like 6 listings for basically the same thing), most where around 10-20£, this one was 60£!
Actually, it seems like the pricing doesn't make any sense even now, with listings showing two different packagings/products (the old one used to come with another toy, two choices, the new one comes alone)...

Poppea

« Reply #2347 on: February 25, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »

What???

Reviewers copy.  They are not supposed to be sold prior to the release date.

Carotte

« Reply #2348 on: February 25, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »

What???

Wouldn't that be too risqué and professional Darwinism? I would have guessed that promotional/reviewers copy have an identification with the name of the person/magazine/whatever that received it, and a signed agreement that they are not to be sold, lended, copied or anything.
If they can trace it back to you you don't do your illegal trading out in the open...  ::)

Albums that my old zine received for review had a hole in the plastic case. I didn't do reviews so I don't know if they received unrealeased albums, or if they did if it was a digital or real version.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #2349 on: February 25, 2014, 06:11:49 PM »

What???

More likely, the "keep raising the price by fifty cents" algorithms are being run by people who don't have copies of the book, on the basis that if someone actually offers to buy the book for $large_sum, they can go on Amazon, buy it for the lowest price offered, and re-ship it for a profit. If someone tries to buy it and they can't find a copy cheap enough, they'll send an apology "sorry, someone else bought our only copy."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #2350 on: February 25, 2014, 06:36:34 PM »
Notice of eviction,

This notice is to inform you that your home has been foreclosed
on by the bank and you need to move out until March 27, 2014.
To make necessary arrangements you have to contact
us in the earliest possible time.

If you decide to cooperate and fulfill you obligations,
the bank will offer you a reasonable period of time for moving out.
Otherwise, you will be evicted in an administrative proceeding.
Please do contact us in the shortest possible time.

Enclosed is the detailed statement of the bank.

Real estate agency,
Emma Tailor

(The attached "detailed statement" looks like an executable file, so it's probably malware. )

I think my favorite part of this is that you have to move out UNTIL March 27th. After that you can move back in.  ;)

These eviction notices are getting sloppier! I don't know any real estate agency that signs their mail like that.  And this one seems to like the phrase "in the earliest possible time."

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2351 on: February 25, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »

What???

Wouldn't that be too risqué and professional Darwinism? I would have guessed that promotional/reviewers copy have an identification with the name of the person/magazine/whatever that received it, and a signed agreement that they are not to be sold, lended, copied or anything.
If they can trace it back to you you don't do your illegal trading out in the open...  ::)

Albums that my old zine received for review had a hole in the plastic case. I didn't do reviews so I don't know if they received unrealeased albums, or if they did if it was a digital or real version.

ARCs (advance reading copies) usually don't have any particular identification, but they do almost always say "NOT FOR SALE" OR "ADVANCE COPY NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION" or something similar on them.  Sometimes the notice is more obvious than other times.

jmarvellous

« Reply #2352 on: February 25, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
I will say that a reviewer who was once dear to me used to sell his movies and books to used media stores. He made hundreds of dollars a year, but wouldn't do more than 1 box at a place each year. It was wrong, but he only sold things that didn't have marks indicating advance/special copies and were already in wide circulation, so no one was wiser.

SheltieMom

« Reply #2353 on: February 25, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »
I saw a guy try to scam McDonald's yesterday, and he tried to use me to do it! This McDonald's drive through is set up like most, with a speaker where you place your order, then a window where you pay, then a window where you get your food. For some reason, this McD's likes to put a person out by the line to take orders, rather than having you use the speaker. (I'm not sure why. It's a small lot, and he stands about 3 car lengths back from the speaker. This stops the traffic there, and on this day, there was room for at least 6 cars between him and the pay window.)
When I got in line, there were 2 cars ahead of me to order. The first one ordered, then pulled around to the pay window. The second one ordered, then pulled up to the speaker. I order my usual large Diet Dr. Pepper, then heard the guy ahead of me order a large Diet Dr. Pepper at the speaker. He pulled up and paid, then moved to the pickup window. As I pulled up to the pay window, I saw the person at the window hand him a large drink, which he refused. The lady at the pay window told me my total was $7.73. I told her I just had a drink. She looked at my for a second, then ran down the hall to the pickup window. She came back with the other guy's card, cancelled a payment, and then charged a new one. The guy ahead of me had heard my order, duplicated it and paid for a drink. Then he pulled up to the pickup window, refused the drink, and told them what he had actually ordered from the guy in line. Since they had that order ready, they assumed that the orders were in the wrong order, and were about to give him the food. If the cashier hadn't realized so quickly what was happening, he would have been able to take off with the food, while only paying for a drink.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2354 on: February 25, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »

What???

I got a promotional copy once, and it didn't have any sort of special marking or anything at all on it, as far as I remember.  And no, I didn't resell it.  :)  I think I still have it somewhere.  It was quite good, and I felt very excited to get to read the book early and write a review to promote it.

SheltieMom, that's a crazy scam!  Bet it works a lot, though.  Very sneaky.