Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 713297 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2355 on: February 26, 2014, 06:47:11 AM »
I got this gem earlier this week ...

Hubbell
     Simply Compassionate
   Death notification

We would like to express our deepest sorrow for the untimely death of your beloved
friend and inform you about the life service celebration that will take place at
Hubbell Funeral Home on February 24, 2014 at 2:00 p.m.

Please follow this link to get funeral invitation.
Please be there to honor the memory of your friend with her closest people.

Our best wishes and prayers,
Armaan Ratliff,
Funeral home assistant

99 North Indian Rocks Road | Belleair Bluffs, Florida 33770
Phone 727-584-7671 | Fax 727-584-1073

Now this is a real funeral home (as far as I know), but no one I know has died, let alone across the state. I've never heard of getting a funeral invitation like this and the link (which I just hovered over) goes to bajainflables.com
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #2356 on: February 26, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
Dazi, you may want to notify the legit funeral home that it seems someone is using their name for a possible scam.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2357 on: February 26, 2014, 10:46:28 AM »
The funeral home knows about it and has been having a lot of trouble as a result. E-mailed death notice really a phishing scam

The link downloads malware.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

pandabear

« Reply #2358 on: February 26, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »
So far I have won the UK lottery.  4 times.    I live in the US

I've won the United Nations lottery.  Twice.

I'm a relative of a poor Nigerian lady who's husband was being chased by someone, didn't know who, but he has died and now they are after her and would I please, being her only relative, help her hide her money until she can find out what's going on?  Oh and she is sick and in a wheelchair to boot.

I have gotten the Life Alert phone calls and the Microsoft Windows phone calls numerous times.

Yesterday I won a cruise.  My tenth.  Woo!

Oh and when I'm on said cruises I'm sure my new Internet Alarm system will keep my house safe.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2359 on: February 26, 2014, 11:33:41 AM »
I will say that a reviewer who was once dear to me used to sell his movies and books to used media stores. He made hundreds of dollars a year, but wouldn't do more than 1 box at a place each year. It was wrong, but he only sold things that didn't have marks indicating advance/special copies and were already in wide circulation, so no one was wiser.

I don't think there is anything wrong with selling them once the book/movie/record is in wide circulation. You can't keep everything so what else can he do with it? Throw it away?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2360 on: February 26, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »
We have a lot of reviewers in our neighborhood.  It isn't unusual to find a box of books or CDs out on the sidewalk for 'adoption'.

They're not really throwing the material away because someone will take it home but they're scrupulous about not selling the things. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #2361 on: February 26, 2014, 01:51:12 PM »
I will say that a reviewer who was once dear to me used to sell his movies and books to used media stores. He made hundreds of dollars a year, but wouldn't do more than 1 box at a place each year. It was wrong, but he only sold things that didn't have marks indicating advance/special copies and were already in wide circulation, so no one was wiser.

I don't think there is anything wrong with selling them once the book/movie/record is in wide circulation. You can't keep everything so what else can he do with it? Throw it away?

Since it was part of our publication's policy that we were not to profit from any 'freebies' from work (a pretty standard journalistic policy), he was free to do whatever, except sell it. MOST copies of movies and books were sold at an annual office charity sale.

I got lots of free books, wine, ice cream, movie tickets. I never sold any of them.

dawbs

« Reply #2362 on: February 26, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »

someone who reviews things locally gives them to the local library booksale.  Which is why I have a few reviewer copies on my shelves :)

Since it was part of our publication's policy that we were not to profit from any 'freebies' from work (a pretty standard journalistic policy), he was free to do whatever, except sell it. MOST copies of movies and books were sold at an annual office charity sale.

I got lots of free books, wine, ice cream, movie tickets. I never sold any of them.

Jones

« Reply #2363 on: February 28, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »
So, my thief and scammer brother, about whom I have posted about in this thread before, is apparently getting out of jail soon. My other brother and his wife have sent out a family missive asking all of us to help him re-integrate. Essentially, brainstorm about how to help him find a job, a support group, and feel loved and accepted and keep him away from his darn problems so he doesn’t get another sentence.

I am trying to find a diplomatic way to say “No way in E-hell.” Scam Brother was in a detention facility for a while during his teen years, when he got out we congregated to help him. He made choices that landed him in a jail for a while. When he got out, we gathered again. He then started stealing from people’s homes; my mother’s prescriptions, jewelry, expensive knick knacks. He put on a fake wedding (she was already married so they couldn't get a wedding license) and got a lot of gifts. His “wife” had a baby and I gave them a lot of baby stuff, figuring the baby shouldn't suffer. He abandoned the woman and child (who did prove to be his genetically), continued to cheat and steal…tried to mooch from me once for a substantial sum…and not only went away for theft and breaking parole but got an extra charge for terrorizing a witness, due to threatening my sister and her family when she testified against him.

Right now I have “I wish you the best in your endeavors, but we are unable to assist with the process at this time. Scam Brother is not allowed in or near my home or my children. If he approaches us he will be removed forcibly. Thank you.” My husband is in full support of this but I can just hear the “faaaamily” bugle call now.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2364 on: February 28, 2014, 05:08:16 PM »
So, my thief and scammer brother, about whom I have posted about in this thread before, is apparently getting out of jail soon. My other brother and his wife have sent out a family missive asking all of us to help him re-integrate. Essentially, brainstorm about how to help him find a job, a support group, and feel loved and accepted and keep him away from his darn problems so he doesn’t get another sentence.

I am trying to find a diplomatic way to say “No way in E-hell.” Scam Brother was in a detention facility for a while during his teen years, when he got out we congregated to help him. He made choices that landed him in a jail for a while. When he got out, we gathered again. He then started stealing from people’s homes; my mother’s prescriptions, jewelry, expensive knick knacks. He put on a fake wedding (she was already married so they couldn't get a wedding license) and got a lot of gifts. His “wife” had a baby and I gave them a lot of baby stuff, figuring the baby shouldn't suffer. He abandoned the woman and child (who did prove to be his genetically), continued to cheat and steal…tried to mooch from me once for a substantial sum…and not only went away for theft and breaking parole but got an extra charge for terrorizing a witness, due to threatening my sister and her family when she testified against him.

Right now I have “I wish you the best in your endeavors, but we are unable to assist with the process at this time. Scam Brother is not allowed in or near my home or my children. If he approaches us he will be removed forcibly. Thank you.” My husband is in full support of this but I can just hear the “faaaamily” bugle call now.
Personally, I think the blunt "No way in eHell.  If he shows up here I'm calling the cops," is preferable to the polite circumlocution.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2365 on: February 28, 2014, 05:29:21 PM »
So, my thief and scammer brother, about whom I have posted about in this thread before, is apparently getting out of jail soon.
Personally, I think the blunt "No way in eHell.  If he shows up here I'm calling the cops," is preferable to the polite circumlocution.

I wouldn't be that blunt unless backed against a wall where "No way in hell!" is the only response. I would never be able to host him, and I definitely would leave my purse and my favorite leather gloves in the car when visiting! Don't know what I would do about the kids, though. If old enough, just tell them the truth. If still preschoolers, probably find a sitter or not be able to attend that get-together.

Jones

« Reply #2366 on: February 28, 2014, 05:43:57 PM »
Kids are staying far away from him because I don't trust him to not escalate and think a ransom is a good idea (maybe I'm paranoid but really, maybe not). He's on his third strike but I don't have to be a part of that. I didn't even think of family get togethers. If he shows up to Grandma's Easter Sunday gathering my little brood will be out the door and headed to a Burger King very quickly. I really, really don't want to have anything to do with him.

Ohmigosh it's my first real, true Cut Direct. Every other cut in my life has involved icy politeness.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2367 on: February 28, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »
I imagine that at least your sister will join you in your ... ahem ... sentiments about "helping" your brother reintegrate into society. 

Let the others do as they wish, but stand your own ground -- as you are!  Good for you.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2368 on: February 28, 2014, 06:04:38 PM »
Just say No and keep saying it. If you REALLY need to add more words, say that he's already blown all his chances with you, and that's it. Then revert to "No" and say nothing else.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #2369 on: February 28, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »
Kids are staying far away from him because I don't trust him to not escalate and think a ransom is a good idea (maybe I'm paranoid but really, maybe not). He's on his third strike but I don't have to be a part of that. I didn't even think of family get togethers. If he shows up to Grandma's Easter Sunday gathering my little brood will be out the door and headed to a Burger King very quickly. I really, really don't want to have anything to do with him.

Ohmigosh it's my first real, true Cut Direct. Every other cut in my life has involved icy politeness.

You can do it.  Look at what you've accomplished in your own life this past year or so.  (((HUG)))