Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 656250 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2430 on: March 14, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »
I think what annoys me about some of these is that these scammers think we're dumb enough to fall for it. 

This wasn't for a scam; someone was looking for Cathy because she left some outstanding debts, and I knew this because we'd gotten quite a few calls about her.

Voice:  This is Joe Schmoe, and I'm an investigator with Someinsurancecompany.  I'd like to speak to Cathy Samelastnameasours about an accident she witnessed in Sometown on Date.

Me:  No Cathy Samelastnameasours lives at this address.

Voice:  But this is the contact information she left with the victim -

He then reads me our entry out of the local phone book.

You'll be happy to know that I called him out on what he was really doing.  A real investigator wouldn't have been so obvious. 

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #2431 on: March 14, 2014, 03:16:51 PM »
Must be my lucky day! I won a free cruise to some exotic caribbean location. Must be legit, because it was a text message.  ;)

Pack your bags, sistah!  I got one of those today, also.   ;D
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #2432 on: March 14, 2014, 03:57:40 PM »
I'm fairly sure that this was a con, but I admit I don't see what they wanted - today I had a call, addressing me correctly by name, regarding a new anti drink and drugs campaign to be run through schools, and they had me on their list as being willing to help.

Um, no, can't imagine why. I've never volunteered for anything like that. I've never heard of the campaign and I don't volunteer for that sort of work anyway. I said as much in some bewilderment and they went away. Now I'm wishing that I'd kept them on the line to find out what on earth they wanted, but I was busy and scuttling from one thing to another, and not as quick on the uptake as I should have been.

Anybody else had that call?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2433 on: March 14, 2014, 04:29:20 PM »
Must be my lucky day! I won a free cruise to some exotic caribbean location. Must be legit, because it was a text message.  ;)

Time to go shopping for cruise clothing!  ;D

laughtermed

« Reply #2434 on: March 14, 2014, 04:55:08 PM »
I've said this before, here.

I've had a few people ask me for money to pay such and such bill.  And all but one of them have withdrawn the request when I said I'd be happy to pay the bill for them; let's go to the bank or utility or wherever the bill has to be paid.

The beauty of that is that if they actually do want the money for this bill, you're making it as easy as possible for them, and paying the bill quickly (whereas if you gave them a check, they'd have to deposit it and then pay the bill, and even if you gave them cash they would either need to go to the office themselves, send a check, or buy and send a money order). I figure that if a friend or relative needs that enough to ask for it, and I'm willing, it's likely to be close to the deadline before there would at best be surcharges for nonpayment (my own landlord charges extra if I don't pay by the third of the month), and at worst the risk of service being cut off or someone evicted.

Elderly MIL sometimes calls DH and I for assistance for a medical bill, utility bill, or other items, Dh always instructs her to have the creditor call us so we can pay over the phone. She gets angry and indignant that we will not give her any cash but knows she must do it our way or she will not get the bill paid. She complains we make her look bad in public. How can that be? If my husband calls, neither she or any one in public is there while the transaction is done. If she is in a medical facility, employees take phone calls all the time for patients' accounts. I doubt people in the waiting area would pay any attention to this.

Truluv86

« Reply #2435 on: March 14, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »

You have a third E-hellion passenger on that cruise! I got that text message today too. I'm gonna go make a list of all the tropical drinks I wanna try.  ;)

pandabear

« Reply #2436 on: March 14, 2014, 06:04:52 PM »

You have a third E-hellion passenger on that cruise! I got that text message today too. I'm gonna go make a list of all the tropical drinks I wanna try.  ;)

Me too! Me too! 8:30am the recorded voice so happily enthused that I won a cruise.

Cherry91

« Reply #2437 on: March 14, 2014, 06:28:02 PM »
I forgot to mention this at the time, but I when I was temping, the department group account got a scam message about claiming money. Obvious signs it was a scam including talking all about conversations "we'd" had, talking about how I needed to get in touch ASAP so they could take the next steps and so on.

The email address it was sent to was department@company.com. You'd think the scammers would at least have a quick glance through the list and remove anything that looked like a group account...

jmarvellous

« Reply #2438 on: March 14, 2014, 08:03:42 PM »
I have spent the past week researching an issue involving credit card debt buyers suing people in small claims court. I know we can't give legal advice here, so all I'll say is that people who have less than $5,000 in credit card debt and cannot afford to pay it off are getting scammed to the max, based on a technicality.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2439 on: March 15, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »

Me too! Me too! 8:30am the recorded voice so happily enthused that I won a cruise.

Can you believe we were all lucky at the same time?!  ;)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #2440 on: March 21, 2014, 01:04:44 PM »
Had one this morning, not sure if a scammer or just clueless.  He said he was in the office to reinstate his driver's license.  I pulled up his record: No can do.  He has about 20 unpaid tickets which need to be taken care of.  He also needs to pay for the uninsured accident he was held liable for, and also various reinstatement fees, plus (my lord, the record went on for pages) he also needs to meet with a driving examiner to determine if he is even competent to be behind the wheel of a car.

Not to worry!  He declared bankruptcy, and all his fines and penalties are now waived.  He even tried to get someone on the phone who also had gone through bankruptcy to explain it to me.

Sir, that's not the issue.  Some things may be discharged through bankruptcy, but we need proof that a judge has granted it, and talking to your friend who also is bankrupt is not proof that you are.  What I was saying seemed to truly puzzle him which is why I wondered if he was clueless.  Discharging debts is serious, and no one is going to just take your word for it.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #2441 on: March 21, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »
Had one this morning, not sure if a scammer or just clueless.  He said he was in the office to reinstate his driver's license.  I pulled up his record: No can do.  He has about 20 unpaid tickets which need to be taken care of.  He also needs to pay for the uninsured accident he was held liable for, and also various reinstatement fees, plus (my lord, the record went on for pages) he also needs to meet with a driving examiner to determine if he is even competent to be behind the wheel of a car.

Not to worry!  He declared bankruptcy, and all his fines and penalties are now waived.  He even tried to get someone on the phone who also had gone through bankruptcy to explain it to me.

Sir, that's not the issue.  Some things may be discharged through bankruptcy, but we need proof that a judge has granted it, and talking to your friend who also is bankrupt is not proof that you are.  What I was saying seemed to truly puzzle him which is why I wondered if he was clueless.  Discharging debts is serious, and no one is going to just take your word for it.

That sounds like he didn't understand that the issue was that he had to give you proof of the bankruptcy, and therefore was trying to explain what bankruptcy means, assuming that you accepted his word that he's bankrupt but didn't think it was relevant. Maybe he hasn't internalized that just because it's in one government system doesn't mean it's magically in all of them: DMV is not the bankruptcy court, and the bankruptcy court doesn't routinely notify every state government agency that so-and-so has discharged his debts.

I have no idea why he thought that would take care of the requirement to meet with a driving examiner.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

ddawn23

« Reply #2442 on: March 21, 2014, 03:01:39 PM »

That sounds like he didn't understand that the issue was that he had to give you proof of the bankruptcy, and therefore was trying to explain what bankruptcy means, assuming that you accepted his word that he's bankrupt but didn't think it was relevant. Maybe he hasn't internalized that just because it's in one government system doesn't mean it's magically in all of them: DMV is not the bankruptcy court, and the bankruptcy court doesn't routinely notify every state government agency that so-and-so has discharged his debts.

I have no idea why he thought that would take care of the requirement to meet with a driving examiner.
Is it possible he was required to meet with a driving examiner because of all the infractions?  I can see someone reasoning that if the bankruptcy made the fines and fees go away it should make the other consequences of the infractions go away.  This especially so if he assumed the bankruptcy erased the tickets themselves and not just his debt from the tickets.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #2443 on: March 21, 2014, 03:19:01 PM »
ddawn23, you are correct about why he needs to see an examiner.  At one point, he was racking up tickets so quickly that it raised concerns in Driver's Assessment that he was perhaps medically incapable of driving. 

And tea drinker was also correct.  Bankruptcy can wipe out a lot of tickets and other DMV kinds of debt, but we need proof. 
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2444 on: March 21, 2014, 04:13:10 PM »
I feel like I am being scammed from the Universal Healthcare site. They have sent me 5+ emails per day for over a week, even though I have unsubscribed. I now have them going directly into the spam folder.