Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 562520 times)

z_squared82

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2460 on: March 25, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
Has anybody received a phone call from the "IRS"? My husband did last night, a recorded message when he answered his cell stating there was a problem with his tax return, and to please call them back referencing the case number they gave him. He hung up. A quick google search let me know this scam was in full swing at the moment, targeting recent immigrants (which my husband is) and others.

I read that some poor folks have been threatened by the "IRS" with deportation if they don't comply.

Yup. My dad. And they also called for me at my parents' house. Yeah....no.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2461 on: March 25, 2014, 02:49:26 PM »
Recently I've had calls from an entity that claims to offer car warranty coverage. It's a scam, not affiliated with Honda (have a Civic) at all. What's ridiculous is that they all speak with a very strong Hispanic accent, and there's lots of noise in the background. IOW: not professional at all. A lot of seedy companies happen to come from this area, so I won't fall for it!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2462 on: March 25, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »
So... that Microsoft Windows scam going around? You know, the whole "There is something wrong with your Windows Computer" thing?

Just had my first one.... told the poor fellow I run a Mac (not true) and then hung up on him. *shakes head* Gonna have to tell mom to be wary, she would probably fall for it.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2463 on: March 25, 2014, 03:17:30 PM »
So... that Microsoft Windows scam going around? You know, the whole "There is something wrong with your Windows Computer" thing?

Just had my first one.... told the poor fellow I run a Mac (not true) and then hung up on him. *shakes head* Gonna have to tell mom to be wary, she would probably fall for it.

I had this one again last night, too.  Told the guy that I was well aware it was a scam and that I didn't even have a Windows computer.  Which is mostly true.  I use my MacBook for most of my online stuff and am only periodically online with my Windows computer that I'm using as secretary of the union local.  And mostly only online so I can print.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Alli8098

« Reply #2464 on: March 25, 2014, 03:43:12 PM »
Not sure what the deal is hear but in the last month we've had the same guy knocking on our door TWICE soliciting for a "new car care place" here in town.  The first time I heard a knock and looked out the peephole only to see someone going up the stairs.  I opened the door to see if something was left on my door and the guy started coming back down the stairs stating "I almost missed you!"

Me: "Almost missed me" (in a very confused tone)
Man: "Yes I'm from a new auto repair place her in town.  How much would you be willing to pay for oil changes?"
Me: "I'm not sure, right now is not a good time.  BTW I'm not sure the residents here will be very friendly to you knocking on their doors."
Man: "Ok, well you have a nice night."

I shut the door and ended up calling our courtesy patrol.  It was 7:30 PM and dark (this was just before daylight savings took affect) and the guy had no fliers and no business cards.  And he never mentioned the name of the auto repair place in his introduction.  He had a pen and what looked like a post-it he was writing on.  It was an older gentlemen who looked nice enough but it just seemed really creepy to me.

Last night (DH was home this time) we hear a knock at the door and it's almost 7:30PM.  I look through the peephole to see the same guy!  Again he's knocking on doors, almost immediately walking away and I can see he's got a pen and paper.  I didn't call anyone this time but did open the door after a few minutes had gone by to see if he left anything this time.  He left nothing on my door or anybody else's.  I reported it all to the apartment office today (they verified for me that there is a no soliciting rule in our community) and will call the non-emergency police line if I see the guy again.  Not sure if a scam or something more is going on but my alarm bells just keep going off when I see this guy.  *Now let's not start giving safety or legal advice and get the thread locked.  I know what to do if I see him again.*

We've gotten plenty of the knocks on the door from supposed students trying to win such and such contest when they sell so many magazine subscriptions.  I just can't believe the gall of some people trying to scam me face to face.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2465 on: March 25, 2014, 04:57:39 PM »
They called again. I yelled at the guy, informing him that I run a custom created Linux install on my computer and that I write motherboard code for a living. I also informed him that I knew what he was saying was a scam, and that knowing all of this did he want to continue?

I repeated that last part a few times before he gave a dejected "no"

Note, none of the above stuff I told him is true. I got those because my tech savvy friends responded to my call for "Things I can tell the scammer guy to get him to stop calling."

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2466 on: March 25, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »
I used to get those Windows scam calls at least once a week - aggressive calls - if you hung up before they were ready they'd call back to chew you out about being rude!   :o

Last time I had one, after I worked out it was the scam, I asked her name, and to be put through to her supervisor.  I stated that I was aware of the scam, and that I wanted names for the police report.  She couldn't hang up quick enough! 

Must have worked because that was months ago and I haven't had one since.

o_gal

« Reply #2467 on: March 26, 2014, 07:35:13 AM »
Has anybody received a phone call from the "IRS"? My husband did last night, a recorded message when he answered his cell stating there was a problem with his tax return, and to please call them back referencing the case number they gave him. He hung up. A quick google search let me know this scam was in full swing at the moment, targeting recent immigrants (which my husband is) and others.

I read that some poor folks have been threatened by the "IRS" with deportation if they don't comply.

I'm disappointed that I haven't gotten a call yet. If I'm not doing anything at the moment, one of my favorite things to do is just string them along, making them think that I'm falling for their scam.

I base this on an old comedy routine from the 1980's - it might have been by Dana Carvey. His bit is that he got a call from a place selling sides of beef. He strung them along for a half hour asking questions, and he could tell by the end of the call that the guy was going nuts over this huge potential sale. Then the salesguy gets to the point where he asks "And what form of payment will be using today sir?" "Oh, you take food stamps, right?"  >:D

Coralreef

« Reply #2468 on: March 26, 2014, 07:48:15 AM »
This one happened to mother years and years ago.  Before the wonders of Google, printed books were needed for information on different subjects.  Encyclopedia salesreps were a dime a dozen.  One knocked on our door and mother answered.  Guess what?  We won a full book set!  Of course, there was a (large) fee for claiming our winnings.  Mother was (and still is) a penny pincher, so we didn't get the encyclopedia.  Good thing she answered, because I'm pretty sure my dad would have been taken in.

[/right

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2469 on: March 26, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »

I'm disappointed that I haven't gotten a call yet. If I'm not doing anything at the moment, one of my favorite things to do is just string them along, making them think that I'm falling for their scam.

I base this on an old comedy routine from the 1980's - it might have been by Dana Carvey. His bit is that he got a call from a place selling sides of beef. He strung them along for a half hour asking questions, and he could tell by the end of the call that the guy was going nuts over this huge potential sale. Then the salesguy gets to the point where he asks "And what form of payment will be using today sir?" "Oh, you take food stamps, right?"  >:D

My husband loves to string them along forever, too.  He figures that wasting their time makes their scam earn less money.  I think he's wasting his own time, too.  :)  I remember this one time, when he had to give his name, he gave them "William H. Harrison," I think, or something like that.  I was rolling.  :)  He strings them along as long as he can, and he'll actually sneakily get a callback number for them (he'll pretend to have something urgent and needs to hang up and call them back, or something).  Then he'll report them, with a valid phone number for the report.  No idea if it makes any difference.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2470 on: March 26, 2014, 09:53:28 AM »
I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize, so I have missed out on all these phone scams.

On the other hand, I recently discovered that out of all the external email that comes into our university, 92% is spam.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #2471 on: March 29, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »
I've gotten calls that I find out are from supposedly cancer awareness companies. The calls go like this (Daniel is the name I made up for my son's real name):

Caller: is Daniel there?
Me: No, may I take a message?
Caller: no actually this call is for either Daniel or you. This is <so-and-so> Calling about breast cancer awareness. Did you know that blahblahblahblah...could you send a donation?
Me: Could you send me a letter? I don't talk money to people that call on the phone. -click-

I've gotten about a half dozen calls like this over the past 2months. The last call went like this:

Caller: Is Daniel there?
Me: No.  -click-

;D

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #2472 on: March 29, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »
"I'm fully aware that breast cancer exists."  *click*

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2473 on: March 29, 2014, 02:15:29 PM »
"I'm sorry, I don't give in response to telephone solicitations."
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #2474 on: March 29, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
^^ Add to that a preschooler loudly asking "who is it, who is it!?" over and over, because if it's daddy or grandma,of course he wants to say hi!

The caller got "sorrywedon'tdodonationsoverthephone pleasemailusthanksbye!" click! and I explained to DS that it wasn't daddy or grandma.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!