Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 656514 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2505 on: April 01, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »
Look what I just got in my in box!

Update Personal Information
Dear Valued Customer,

It has come to our attention that your PayPal account information needs to be updated as
part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud
on our website. If you could please take a few minutes out of your online experience and update
your personal records, you will not run into any problems in the future with the online service.

However, failure to update your records could result in account suspension. Please update your
records as soon as possible.

To update your account information, please download and open the attachment file that we sent
via this email, and simply open it with your web browser.

Once you have updated your account records, any activities going through your account will no
longer be interrupted.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please understand that this procedure is to keep you and
your account in a protected state.

I just think that is such fantastic customer service, for Paypal to track down an email address that I don't even have associated with Paypal in order to send me this information, and how convenient of them to send an attachment I can download!

It's to the point where I have very little pity for people who fall for this junk. It's all been around long enough that I think most people should just know better.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2506 on: April 01, 2014, 11:45:35 AM »
I'm going to have to spend a fortune on plane fares and lawyers next week. I have to be in Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Seattle for the court appearances, all on the same day, unless I take care of them via the "attached document."

(I'm listening to our local community radio station, which has volunteer broadcaster. The 6 AM to 9 AM broadcaster just got April Fooled by the 9-12 broadcaster who called in to say "I'll be late because highway such & such is closed due to snow." The 6AM person announced it over the air, as they always report major road closures. The 9 AM person walked into the studio five minutes later. )

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #2507 on: April 01, 2014, 02:35:57 PM »
We were looking to adopt some pets a while ago so I was looking on Craigslist. (We ended up getting one from a family who couldn't handle the energy and neediness of the cat, got a dog through a pet rescue) There was a warning on there about a couple individuals who would adopt a cat or a dog from a shelter, then turn around and sell it on Craigslist for at least double what they paid for their adoption fee. Apparently they had cycled through a ton of animals this way, to the point that someone posted pictures from several of their ads to help warn people away.

FTR, Craigslist doesn't allow high rehoming fees...I think I read the max is $50. These people were charging $200 or more for adorable puppies and kittens.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2508 on: April 01, 2014, 06:18:07 PM »
In among today's offerings was one with the following gem:
I assure you that this transaction is 100 risks free and above board.
Snipped the rest of it, since it was a bog-standard "We have $49bazillion that we want to smuggle out of the country, and we have chosen YOU, perfect stranger who just happens to own an email account, to help us."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

andi

« Reply #2509 on: April 01, 2014, 09:11:39 PM »
My coworker is currently egging along one of the rent scammers - the type with the unbelievable low rent (half the going rate including utilities) but you send everything via western union cause they're out of state. She' didn't give any SS info, but they have her phone number and started texting. She contacted our local police and they're investigating. Kinda cool.

scotcat60

« Reply #2510 on: April 02, 2014, 04:29:09 AM »
Apparently there are scams where hackers invade your computer, tell you that you have been found watching dodgy sites, and that you will have to pay up or go to prison. One father in Romania believed this and killed himself and his 4 year old son as he believed the massage and felt ashamed.

A lady in Derbyshire in the UK followed a link supposedly from the NHS about cancer sufferers, and it was a scam to download information from peoples computers. She followed it as she was waiting for results of tests for cancer herself. Luckily she realised that it was a con, and as it happened her tests were clear.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #2511 on: April 02, 2014, 10:16:13 AM »
What really kind of stuns me about these scammers is that if they came up with a more realistic amount more people would bite - $15,500,000 is so ridiculous that most people know it's a scam immediately.

Had they come up with something like $7,000,  more of the unsuspecting public would find that believable and at least question it...giving them a second chance to make the scam work.

And I'm stunned that anyone would pay nearly $200 to get an ATM card shipped to them...how ridiculous does that even sound?

You learn about one scam and immediately ten new ones pop up, it's crazy.

I have just had an an idea about why it's always so high. I just checked and 1m Nigerian is only a bit under £ 3500 so USD$5831.70 they are probably writing a much less suspicious amount than we think, it's just they haven't bothered working out an equivalent amount using a realistic exchange rate.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

alkira6

« Reply #2512 on: April 02, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
Oh, I just remembered this scam!

I got a letter  when I was a teen telling me that I had won a camera in a contest and only needed to send $3.95 (check of course) to claim my prize.  I sent it in and of course got nothing.

Apparently they tried to write checks now that they had my account # and routing #.  Unfortunately for them I banked at a small town bank where everyone knew everyone else and the checks were denied without even hitting my account.  Having checks from a 14 year old whose sole debits to this point had been to a magazine, a monthly book club, and school club dues try to buy adult items in California was not really flying.

Olena

« Reply #2513 on: April 02, 2014, 11:40:15 AM »
I just remembered something that happened to me in the late 1990s when I was a senior in college living 6 hours away from my home town. The bank I had a credit card with used to send out "convienance checks" to use with the card. At the time it fairly was close to high school and college graduations when friends and family would send money (usually in the mail) to the graduates along with their best wishes, etc. That year we had a rash of mail theft and wouldn't you know it, these "checks" were stolen.

My mom relayed to me that the thiefs had tried to use the "checks" to buy a used car at one of the local dealerships, but the individual behind the counter recognized them for what they were and called my parents. Everything worked out in the end, after the person at the car dealership realized that I couldn't be in two places at once (I don't know about if they checked IDs or not) but it ended up being a huge pain for me because I had to get a new credit card with different numbers. Funny thing was the bank sent me similiar "checks" for this card too.

Jones

« Reply #2514 on: April 02, 2014, 12:07:51 PM »
My county just got scammed!

Someone got the county's routing and account numbers off a check (probably a property tax refund) and made up fake checks. Fortunately the bank figured it out right away, put a hold on the account and had the county open a new account. Less than fortunately, the county had to explain to everyone why county checks were bouncing and then issue new payments for legit bills.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #2515 on: April 02, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »
I'm going to have to spend a fortune on plane fares and lawyers next week. I have to be in Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Seattle for the court appearances, all on the same day, unless I take care of them via the "attached document."

I have to be in Fort Worth and Grand Rapids.  ::)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #2516 on: April 02, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »
I got a call today from a Montana area code saying that the FBI is looking into "charges" and I need to comply . . . I didn't catch it all as I was grocery shopping and not really paying attention to the recording. I did get a bit of a chuckle before I hung up though
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

suzieQ

« Reply #2517 on: April 02, 2014, 11:47:10 PM »
Has anyone been getting the ones from someone with "higher education"? They sound absolutely idiotic - can't seem to figure out what to say if you vary from the expected script.
No, I won't let you talk to my autistic son who is not going to college.
Silence.
Then they ask for him again!
I don't know what the scam is but I'm very close to getting a whistle to blow in the phone after getting four calls a day, day after day. We have been nice and requested to be put on their Do Not Contact List. I have told them son is autistic and not going to college.
And just today, DH finally blew a gasket and yelled and screamed at them to get him a supervisor (they were "on break" and the person never did get a supervisor). DH threatened them with a lawsuit for harassment if they call again and they didn't call again today - maybe we finally got rid of them.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2518 on: April 03, 2014, 12:22:40 AM »
Has anyone been getting the ones from someone with "higher education"? They sound absolutely idiotic - can't seem to figure out what to say if you vary from the expected script.
No, I won't let you talk to my autistic son who is not going to college.
Silence.
Then they ask for him again!
I don't know what the scam is but I'm very close to getting a whistle to blow in the phone after getting four calls a day, day after day. We have been nice and requested to be put on their Do Not Contact List. I have told them son is autistic and not going to college.
And just today, DH finally blew a gasket and yelled and screamed at them to get him a supervisor (they were "on break" and the person never did get a supervisor). DH threatened them with a lawsuit for harassment if they call again and they didn't call again today - maybe we finally got rid of them.

You could always inform them that [Son'sName] is actually the name of the family dog, and if they persist, continue saying there is no human person with that name and the only person in the house with that name is the dog. And he doesn't have to go to college. :3

KarenK

« Reply #2519 on: April 03, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »

I have to be in Fort Worth and Grand Rapids.  ::)

I have to be in Anchorage.