Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 690212 times)

Ginger G

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2520 on: April 03, 2014, 11:29:42 AM »
Has anyone been getting the ones from someone with "higher education"? They sound absolutely idiotic - can't seem to figure out what to say if you vary from the expected script.

We're not getting calls, but for the past year or so we have been inundated with mail and brochures from various colleges and schools addressed to someone named "Paul Jones" (not the real name).  Neither my husband and I are named Paul Jones, and I moved into my house when it was brand new, so no one but us has ever had that address.  I've been trying to figure out how all these different schools got our address for this person.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2521 on: April 03, 2014, 11:58:50 AM »
Got 'Air Duct Cleaning' again last night.

I should just quit answering the phone unless I'm expecting a call.  And even then, I can let the answering machine screen it for me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2522 on: April 03, 2014, 12:01:55 PM »
Has anyone been getting the ones from someone with "higher education"? They sound absolutely idiotic - can't seem to figure out what to say if you vary from the expected script.

We're not getting calls, but for the past year or so we have been inundated with mail and brochures from various colleges and schools addressed to someone named "Paul Jones" (not the real name).  Neither my husband and I are named Paul Jones, and I moved into my house when it was brand new, so no one but us has ever had that address.  I've been trying to figure out how all these different schools got our address for this person.

A mis-typed address on a mailing list, maybe?  Maybe "Paul" signed up for college information, but they made a mistake putting his address in...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2523 on: April 03, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »
There are many scholarship websites that one can fill out. Is it possible Paul Jones put the wrong address? I know those lists are sold to colleges.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2524 on: April 03, 2014, 12:59:45 PM »
You know, they've probably get a lot more bites if they pretended to be one of those "forgotten bank accounts" sites, notifying people that they still had $583 in the bank account from 2004 in some realistic bank (Bank of America, Citibank, something or other), and would they like to transfer it to a current bank account?  And keep the number low (in American dollars).

magicdomino

« Reply #2525 on: April 03, 2014, 02:30:27 PM »

I should just quit answering the phone unless I'm expecting a call.  And even then, I can let the answering machine screen it for me.

That's what I do.  I figure the answering machine is the equivilant of a butler saying, "Madame is not receiving today.  Would you like to leave your card?"

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #2526 on: April 03, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »

That's what I do.  I figure the answering machine is the equivilant of a butler saying, "Madame is not receiving today.  Would you like to leave your card?"

Heh. When I was a nanny, I'd often answer the house phone even if my boss was sitting right there. I'd ask "Who's calling, please?"  repeat the name they gave me, and my boss would either shake her head or hold her hand out for the phone.

This was before Caller ID was popular and the family was very active in the community, so ignoring calls wasn't always an option. My boss greatly appreciated it when I picked up first, especially when it was the end of long day.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #2527 on: April 05, 2014, 04:35:07 PM »
Got this one today:

This is to notify you that all our customer about the latest
development concerning all the payment that are left in our custody,
which yours are inclusive beside your. Our western union office is now
offering a bonus for the New year 2014 to help all our customer to
receive they funds of $2.5USD which you will be receving $5,000 USD
per day.Here is
what we need from you to complete the transfer,

Your Name_______________
Your Country_____________
Mobile phone No____________
Your home address___________
A copy of your ID

Bellow is your first payment for $5000usd sent today in your name.

Sender Name: John Philip
REFENCE: 788-164-56
Question= When
Answer= Today
Amount Sent: $5000.00

Note:that Only Fee Request for You Is $89 for re-activate of the Refence
to your name No More Fee again after that.

REGARDS,
Mr.Jem musa

Why do they have to re-activate my refence number?

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2528 on: April 07, 2014, 10:45:15 AM »
Refence, refence....

NO MORE FEE again after that

I'm rolling in the floor - thinking refence as in using a fence to resale stolen items and then REfencing them

Okay, I'm just filled with evil thoughts today   

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2529 on: April 07, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a scam or if my number is very close to the number the caller is trying to dial and they're really bad at it. 

Every now and again, I get a few calls from someone in Romania (I looked up the country code).  I have a habit of not answering numbers I don't recognize, figuring if it's someone really trying to get in touch, they'll leave a message.  This particular caller never does.  Yesterday, they called 6 times in 15 minutes.  If they don't leave a message, I don't call back, figuring it was a wrong number or a telemarketer.

Anyone else ever get these calls?  Dh and I are speculating that it's either a thing where if I pick up, I'll somehow be charged a lot of money for the call or if I call back, I'll be charged a lot of money for the call.  I have heard of the latter, but those usually ring only once and this caller rings a few times.

Either way, I've been ignoring it but has anyone else had experience with these?

MissRose

« Reply #2530 on: April 07, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
A local police department posted something on their Facebook feed to warn the local merchants & public about gift card fraud as the calls sound official but are not at all.

Army Mom

« Reply #2531 on: April 07, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a scam or if my number is very close to the number the caller is trying to dial and they're really bad at it. 

Every now and again, I get a few calls from someone in Romania (I looked up the country code).  I have a habit of not answering numbers I don't recognize, figuring if it's someone really trying to get in touch, they'll leave a message.  This particular caller never does.  Yesterday, they called 6 times in 15 minutes.  If they don't leave a message, I don't call back, figuring it was a wrong number or a telemarketer.

Anyone else ever get these calls?  Dh and I are speculating that it's either a thing where if I pick up, I'll somehow be charged a lot of money for the call or if I call back, I'll be charged a lot of money for the call.  I have heard of the latter, but those usually ring only once and this caller rings a few times.

Either way, I've been ignoring it but has anyone else had experience with these?
Try searching the number on google, if it is a scammer there are a number of website devoted to identifying them.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2532 on: April 08, 2014, 12:18:08 AM »

Try searching the number on google, if it is a scammer there are a number of website devoted to identifying them.

As far as I know there is no scam where you are can be charged money for answering the phone (except for minutes on the cell phone of course). Calling a number, absolutely, but nothing where picking up the phone can cost you money.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #2533 on: April 08, 2014, 08:37:41 AM »
I've gotten several phone calls from a Maryland exchange lately, on my cell phone, but the caller id says 'Greece', or 'Belize'.   I don't answer them, and I can't even block them because it's a different number every time.   It's very annoying.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2534 on: April 08, 2014, 08:58:46 AM »
A game group page has recently been spammed by a fake facebook account with short term loan information posted in the comments of every post on the group page.  ::)