Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 566459 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2535 on: April 08, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
A game group page has recently been spammed by a fake facebook account with short term loan information posted in the comments of every post on the group page.  ::)

Is that spam or Facebook's new slapping real ads in the body of our newsfeed to get more profitable ad revenue? I always report them as spam.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2536 on: April 08, 2014, 12:15:27 PM »
No this is actual messages from an account pasted into the comments on every post.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2537 on: April 08, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a scam or if my number is very close to the number the caller is trying to dial and they're really bad at it. 

Every now and again, I get a few calls from someone in Romania (I looked up the country code).  I have a habit of not answering numbers I don't recognize, figuring if it's someone really trying to get in touch, they'll leave a message.  This particular caller never does.  Yesterday, they called 6 times in 15 minutes.  If they don't leave a message, I don't call back, figuring it was a wrong number or a telemarketer.

Anyone else ever get these calls?  Dh and I are speculating that it's either a thing where if I pick up, I'll somehow be charged a lot of money for the call or if I call back, I'll be charged a lot of money for the call.  I have heard of the latter, but those usually ring only once and this caller rings a few times.

Either way, I've been ignoring it but has anyone else had experience with these?
Try searching the number on google, if it is a scammer there are a number of website devoted to identifying them.

I tried googling the number but nothing popped up.  If it were once or twice, I'd just chalk it up to bad dialing.  But the 6 in 15 minutes on Sunday make me think something's up and I'm just going to keep ignoring it.  Hopefully the caller will get bored and go away.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2538 on: April 08, 2014, 02:00:55 PM »
One last night to my personal phone - 444-444-4444 and several "anonymous caller" to my work phone. I'm not answering and if you don't leave a message, you will get no response from me.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2539 on: April 08, 2014, 03:10:42 PM »
No this is actual messages from an account pasted into the comments on every post.

report, report, report
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2540 on: April 08, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »
One last night to my personal phone - 444-444-4444 and several "anonymous caller" to my work phone. I'm not answering and if you don't leave a message, you will get no response from me.

I googled it - it is attached to several scams. Apparently numbers like this are popular for companies to hide behind because people will be intrigued by the repeating numbers and answer the phone. And since it isn't their number, they think their name will never show up anywhere.

I love having the internet for stuff like this. No matter who these scammers are, if they tick off enough people someone will post about it and hang them out to dry.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2541 on: April 08, 2014, 09:59:41 PM »
The fake facebook account has been reported and I am not answering the repeating numbers calls. They do not leave voicemail messages.

pwv

« Reply #2542 on: April 09, 2014, 05:40:36 AM »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2543 on: April 09, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
I am so excited! Look what I got.

Greetings!

I have been tiring to reach you on phone, I deemed it necessary and
urgent to contact you via your e-mail address to notify you about the package
which contents a Confirmable Bank Draft of $850.000.00 USD,which
i have deposited with the Premium Delivery Services UK,I have travelled
out of the country and I will not be back untill the end of the year.

You are required to contact the Premium Delivery Services as soon as
possible to know when the package will be delivered to you,due to the
expiring date on the Bank Draft. For your information, I have
enclosed the following, Insurance premium and Clearance Certificate for the Cheque
showing that it is not a Drug Money and it is NOT meant to sponsor Terrorist
attack in your Country,note that you will pay a shipping/handling
fee of $195 USD.

You have to contact the Premium Delivery Services now for the delivery of
your Draft with this information bellow:

Contact Name: Sean Davis
Contact Tel: +44-703-194-1815
Contact Email: pdservicisies@outlook.com

Finally make sure that you reconfirm your Postal address(Incl. Zip code) and Direct
Mobile number to them again to avoid any mistake on the Delivery also request for
the package tracking number to enable you track your package over the internet
to enable you know when the package will be delivered to your Home/postal address.

Let me repeat again,try to contact them as soon as you receive this mail(This is my second
Email to you)to avoid any further delay Please take note that you will pay a shipping/handling
fee of $195 USD to Premium Delivery Services for their immediate action. You should also
let me know through email as soon as you receive your Draft.

Yours Faithfully,
MK. Perry

I can't wait to get my money.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2544 on: April 09, 2014, 09:20:42 AM »
I always wish there was a way to send them a "certified/cashier's" check that is phony and let them deal with that issue...

Karma is all I can hope for!

Please do let us all know if you get your money, LOL !

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2545 on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:03 AM »
I am so relieved that it is not a drug money and not meant to sponsor terrorist attack in my country.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2546 on: April 10, 2014, 09:04:54 AM »
This one had me shaking my head. I work PT in a women's clothing store. Pretty well known, and our tickets all have the store name printed on them. So last night I'm closing with the manager, and we're in the office. I see a ticket from another well known women's store taped to the shelf above the desk. So I ask what's up with that?

Apparently a "customer" took one of our scarves, took our ticket off it, and put the ticket from other store on! and then tried to purchase it! Um no, sorry, first of all, it won't ring up in OUR system as the barcode and SKU are unique to other store. Secondly, they BOTH have their respective store names printed on it, and are a slightly different size, and different color. I don't know HOW this person thought they'd get away with it, but the manager (who wasn't there) said something about how it was "supposed" to ring up at a very low price. Manager who was on, and takes NO nonesense from anyone, quickly shut down the would-be scammer, and kept the ticket so she could do an LP report.

But really? how dumb can one be?

Carotte

« Reply #2547 on: April 10, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »
This one had me shaking my head. I work PT in a women's clothing store. Pretty well known, and our tickets all have the store name printed on them. So last night I'm closing with the manager, and we're in the office. I see a ticket from another well known women's store taped to the shelf above the desk. So I ask what's up with that?

Apparently a "customer" took one of our scarves, took our ticket off it, and put the ticket from other store on! and then tried to purchase it! Um no, sorry, first of all, it won't ring up in OUR system as the barcode and SKU are unique to other store. Secondly, they BOTH have their respective store names printed on it, and are a slightly different size, and different color. I don't know HOW this person thought they'd get away with it, but the manager (who wasn't there) said something about how it was "supposed" to ring up at a very low price. Manager who was on, and takes NO nonesense from anyone, quickly shut down the would-be scammer, and kept the ticket so she could do an LP report.

But really? how dumb can one be?

???
Wouldn't it be easier/smarter to act like she had bought the scarf at OtherStore?
(Unless the scarf has the name of YourStore on it, or a security pin with the name of the store... A security guard might not reconize it as a YourStore item, she could always say Otherstore forgot the tag and she's going back there to have it taken off)

alkira6

« Reply #2548 on: April 10, 2014, 10:00:24 AM »
We had people who stole things from Lane Bryant and would then bring them back and say that we had "forgotten" to take the ink tags off.  They left really quickly when we asked for a receipt or the credit card that they had made the purchase on so that we could look it up.

We also had the absolutely fabulous wanna be thief who put on a leather jacket and tried to walk out the store in it.  2 problems: It was tagged so the alarm went off and the coat had a wire that locked it to the rack but was long enough for people to try on the coats.

Coralreef

« Reply #2549 on: April 10, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
We also had the absolutely fabulous wanna be thief who put on a leather jacket and tried to walk out the store in it.  2 problems: It was tagged so the alarm went off and the coat had a wire that locked it to the rack but was long enough for people to try on the coats.

Good thing breathing is an autonomic function because that dude would be die from asphyxia.

[/right