Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 574014 times)

peach2play

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2565 on: April 29, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »
so the back story,  the OP had fraudulent charges and the card provider didn't believe them/didn't care,  when it was passed on to a debt collection agency (whilst still being disputed) the OP decided to have a little fun.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=741653&highlight=fun+debitas

i don't think there's any really bad language, but it'll make you laugh at the ingenuity :)

This guy is wonderfully evil! >:D

I lost two hours at work (thankfully we are reactive so no issue there) reading this web page.  My office mate wondered why I was laughing like a loon.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2566 on: April 30, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »
My university and the surrounding area have a fairly high number of panhandlers. Some have pets.

Yesterday I saw one of the usual panhandlers with his dog. Talking on his iPhone 5. Walking down the street.

Today I saw a new panhandler who put her very nice Galaxy 4 phone in her bra before unfolding her sign to ask for money.

I know there are programs for subsidized phones, but neither of those phone models are included and cost in excess of $500, which would pay for a hotel room to share.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2567 on: April 30, 2014, 02:36:35 PM »
Yeah, I have seen ads at the Headstart and other places around here for the kinds of phones you can get and they're very basic phones, I doubt they even issue smartphones at all.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Amoreade

« Reply #2568 on: April 30, 2014, 06:50:44 PM »
Having a good phone isn't indicative of being well off, those phones could be gifts or hand-me-downs.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2569 on: April 30, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »
True, but the cost for a data plan is expensive.

Amoreade

« Reply #2570 on: April 30, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
Not all of them. Plus if the phone is a gift the plan may be a part of it, I pay my brothers phone bill as he couldn't afford it on his own and it's worth it to be able to contact him.

nayberry

« Reply #2571 on: April 30, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »
so the back story,  the OP had fraudulent charges and the card provider didn't believe them/didn't care,  when it was passed on to a debt collection agency (whilst still being disputed) the OP decided to have a little fun.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=741653&highlight=fun+debitas

i don't think there's any really bad language, but it'll make you laugh at the ingenuity :)

This guy is wonderfully evil! >:D

I lost two hours at work (thankfully we are reactive so no issue there) reading this web page.  My office mate wondered why I was laughing like a loon.

It's one of my "pick me up" threads, that and one about "old style disasters" there's a story about a builder and expanding foam that makes me cackle ;)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2572 on: April 30, 2014, 07:45:11 PM »
The subsidized plan does not include smart phones or data plans. Both of these phones are no older than 1 year, so I don't see how they could be hand me downs.

Regardless, I think they could be another resource for the people.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2573 on: May 01, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »
I keep books for about 8 companies...one of them is a small landscaping firm (less than five employees).  He is constantly looking for help and he pays top dollar for that work (it's just hard work).  Had a fellow hired that worked one morning then came by to fill out his paperwork - the minute I asked for a copy of his social security card and driver's license he balked. 

He is on disability and wants to be paid in cash only.

Owner said write him a check for the half day and tell him goodbye.  We are not hiring people that want to beat the system on our tax dollars. Words cannot describe how furious this makes me and we see it all the darn time.

Had a friend of mine just get audited by the IRS - she didn't get the SS # for a couple of yard people that did work around her office, IRS said either get their info or lose the deduction.  I love this! 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2574 on: May 01, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
Can you report people who do that?  Or is there no ay to report the guy without an SS#?

poundcake

« Reply #2575 on: May 01, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »
Not all of them. Plus if the phone is a gift the plan may be a part of it, I pay my brothers phone bill as he couldn't afford it on his own and it's worth it to be able to contact him.

I know of at least one case where a homeless and drug-addicted family member's parents paid for his "fancy and expensive" (not really) phone and data plan, so he could be in touch with his sponsors, work, and so that they could check in with him regularly and find out if he was alive or dead on any given day.

Please, people, give up the idea that if you see someone with what you perceive as an expensive piece of technology, that it indicates they are moocher/scammers and not really in need. Technology can be produced and repurposed so inexpensively these days, and it's not unusual for certain charities to help a homeless individual get a second-hand laptop or discarded cell phone so that they can attempt to find work or stay in touch with their family. Many places of employment or social services can't do anything unless they can register a phone number and/or email address where they can reach you.

This is like the complaint that "99% of welfare recipients have refrigerators!" Er... in most states, it's illegal for parents to NOT have a way to keep and preserve food for their families long-term. It's hardly an indicator of frivolity.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #2576 on: May 01, 2014, 01:45:32 PM »
I want to add that Yes, some charities DO give out new I-phones and fancy smart phones and Yes, homeless/low income people CAN use them on the free cell phone plans. The plans do not include a data plan but you can get top off cards that you can add to your plan that will unlock the data plans or you can simply use them for texting and phone calls which ARE included in the free plan.  One of the charities that we have a referral agreement with was given a bunch of smart phones by the manufacturers for their clients. They were able to give nearly every one of their tenants who live here a fancy smart phone (they got to choose between a few models) last summer.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2577 on: May 01, 2014, 01:52:28 PM »
This is like the complaint that "99% of welfare recipients have refrigerators!" Er... in most states, it's illegal for parents to NOT have a way to keep and preserve food for their families long-term. It's hardly an indicator of frivolity.

This one always hugely bugs me. (a) if the family were to sell their fridge, it would be an incredibly short-sighted decision, as it would severely limit the kinds of foods they could buy and probably cost them more in the long run, and (b) I've lived in low-income housing and it came with a refrigerator. I couldn't sell it; it wasn't mine. But it was there for my use, and that's probably how a lot of the people in this statistic "have refrigerators" too.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2578 on: May 01, 2014, 02:04:47 PM »

I know of at least one case where a homeless and drug-addicted family member's parents paid for his "fancy and expensive" (not really) phone and data plan, so he could be in touch with his sponsors, work, and so that they could check in with him regularly and find out if he was alive or dead on any given day.

Yes ! 

Because family member's worry about them and some of us are willing to pay.  You can't let them live with your family, they are dangerous, will steal from you or worse yet, have their associates come to see them. And yet, they are still family that you love and want to try and help, keep save, be able to find, etc. 

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #2579 on: May 01, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
This is like the complaint that "99% of welfare recipients have refrigerators!"

I looked at that complaint and went -  "Well, duh!"  I expect that Welfare recipients rent and every rental place I have ever lived in came with a refrigerator and stove.  I feel bad for the 1% of welfare recipients that can't find a rental with appliances, those must be some short-sighted landlords..